• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

train transportation

Don Ebbs

recedingtide
Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking the Camino starting at SJPP on the 9th of September thru the middle of October
I am starting my Camino in early September and am going to take the train from Barcelona to Pamplona. I heard it is cheaper to by tickets at the train station than buy them in advance, is this true? Also does any one know how to get the "over 60" senior discount?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Don - another thought, if you are flying into Madrid then you must first bus/train into the train station, no great joy if you arrive during morning/evening rush hours, wait for the train - the senior discount will not be offered you must request when purchasing your ticket which will cost around $50 - then its about a three hour ride. If you came Iberia then the the flight to Pamplona is considered a continuation and not a separate fee, you will pay more then a train but save hassle and time. A good travel agent can fix it easier then fighting the always changing internet options and prices.

Sorry, mashed the wrong button, return Santiago-Madrid-home is also considered a continuous flight if all Iberia. There is a bus from Santiago to Madrid airport-it requires a change in Madrid for the airport busbut has very few rest stops requiring one to have a bladder the size of a watermelon but it is cheaper then a plane.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I note another Don is on the move and asking a similar question. Arriving Madrid on USAir 8:25am on Friday Sept 12.What is best way to get to the 10:30 train for Ponferrada, and would this give me enough time to catch train? Hate to have to run for this. Does purchasing tickets and Tarjeta Dorado at airport Renfe office help, or is advisable to use ticket machine at station. Is that station Charmartin?

I note another Don is on the move and asking a similar question. Arriving Madrid on USAir 8:25am on Friday Sept 12.What is best way to get to the 10:30 train for Ponferrada, and would this give me enough time to catch train? Hate to have to run for this. Does purchasing tickets and Tarjeta Dorado at airport Renfe office help, or is advisable to use ticket machine at station. Is that station Charmartin?

Hope you make that train. Once at airport..time to get off plane, then through some sort of customs area and then bus or train to the main train station. If the plane is on time maybe. We purchased our tickets in advance through 3rd party, not renfe (couldn't get charge to go through) and not eurorail ( more expensive). Can't remember the train station off the top of my head.

I am starting my Camino in early September and am going to take the train from Barcelona to Pamplona. I heard it is cheaper to by tickets at the train station than buy them in advance, is this true? Also does any one know how to get the "over 60" senior discount?
Get your tarjeta dorada at the train station in Barcelona before purchasing your ticket, cost 6 € , then you receive 40% discount if traveling Mon to Thur . 25% other days. It is good for one year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

You need a 'tarjeta dorado' for seniors discounts. You can purchase the tarjeta dorado at the station. You'll have to determine if there is any value in getting a tarjeta dorado if you aren't going to use it often.

There are usually several discount prices on the Renfe website. You pay the full fare at the station.

Your timings are tight. It will likely take at least a half hour to deplane and another half hour to clear customs. It will take anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes depending on Metro or Cercanius transportation to Chamartin. That doesn't leave much slush (I make 20 minutes) for any delays. I'd have a plan 'B'.

The last Cercanius that gets you to Chamartin in time leaves T4 at 0958. The last viable metro would leave either T1T2T3 or T4 not later than 0945.

Trains from Madrid to Ponferrada depart from Chamartin station.

You can buy tickets at the Renfe Cercanius office at airport T4. If you arrive at T1T2T3 ... you'd best proceed to Chamartin.

2007 Madrid Airport to train station Chamartin

a. Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; and, line 10 to Chamartin. Trains run 6 - 12 minutes. Allow 40 minutes.

b. Chamartin is reached by Renfe Cercanius direct from Madrid Airport T4. Trains run every half hour. Allow 12 minutes travel time.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanius (operated by Renfe)
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you make that train. Once at airport..time to get off plane, then through some sort of customs area and then bus or train to the main train station. If the plane is on time maybe. We purchased our tickets in advance through 3rd party, not renfe (couldn't get charge to go through) and not eurorail ( more expensive). Can't remember the train station off the top of my head.

Thinking this through.....I noted the same USAir flight we will have in Sept.was 30 minutes delayed this morning. By the time we arrive Terminal 4, get through passport control, get baggage, change currency, .... find transportation to Charmartin Station....ummm. Sounds hectic and seriously tight. Not the way to begin if you can help it.

Whereas we are two couples , with guys and gals going in separate treks, guys taking longer Camino... We will have to see the two gals off to Portugal on Overnight High Speed Train from the Charmartin Station
Looks like it is better to take a later train..... After lunch, more relaxed. The next train leaves at 2:40, arr about 7pm.......find lodging in Ponferrada early evening, get good night sleep before getting on el Camino. I'll look into purchase tix through a 3rd party, not Eurorail, nor Renfe.
Note. how the Pilgrim Community works to help you process things!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your timings are tight. It will likely take at least a half hour to deplane and another half hour to clear customs. It will take anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes depending on Metro or Cercanius transportation to Chamartin. That doesn't leave much slush (I make 20 minutes) for any delays. I'd have a plan 'B'.

The last Cercanius that gets you to Chamartin in time leaves T4 at 0958. The last viable metro would leave either T1T2T3 or T4 not later than 0945.

You can buy tickets at the Renfe Cercanius office at airport T4. If you arrive at T1T2T3 ... you'd best proceed to Chamartin.

a. Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; and, line 10 to Chamartin. Trains run 6 - 12 minutes. Allow 40 minutes.

b. Chamartin is reached by Renfe Cercanius direct from Madrid Airport T4. Trains run every half hour. Allow 12 minutes travel time.

Madrid Metro

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Metro

Madrid Metro Map

Very fine detail on the transportation, we will find it quite helpful. , thank you!

Wariwharangi... When you mention going through a third party to purchase tix, were you referring to a standard travel agent, travel service?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wait now, sorry, I see now that it was Edandjoan who mentioned that.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Madrid Metro

Madrid Metro Map

Am trying to get from Madrid to Leon. When I go to the Madrid Cercanius site I am able to put Chamartin in a drop down but am unable to find Leon in destino. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

Wariwharangi... When you mention going through a third party to purchase tix, were you referring to a standard travel agent, travel service?

Can't remember who we used in September 2012, but this year used Petrabax out of CA. We are going from Barcelona to Pamplona and opted to take the later 15:30 train. Our flight from Charlotte to Barcelona arrives at 8:25. When we went in 2012, we flew from CLT to Madrid and then went to the city and rode the Hop on Hop Off bus and spent the night before getting the train to Leon.
Count on the plane being late…it is an evening flight and CLT is a hub for USAir and a late afternoon storm can create a delay. CLT is my home airport and I try to fly direct to where I am going.
You can change your US$ to euros before you leave. We do it through our bank and then we are ready when we arrive.

I recommend buying from the service provider ... but each to his own.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Am trying to get from Madrid to Leon. When I go to the Madrid Cercanius site I am able to put Chamartin in a drop down but am unable to find Leon in destino. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

Renfe provides Light Rail Transit in many major cities in Spain. The service is called Cercanius. The Madrid Cercanius stops at Chamartin where you can transfer to intercity trains.

Renfe also provides intercity services. If you want to get tickets and schedule information about intercity travel such as Madrid to Leon ... go to the Renfe site.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

thanks for all the help but I think there is a little confusion here, my flight arrives in Barcelona at 10.05am and the train leaves sants @ 3:30 , there is a train at 12:10 but I thought that would be pushing it, I have booked a hotel room in Pamplona and will continue on to SJPP the next day just looking for cheep tickets

thanks for all the help but I think there is a little confusion here, my flight arrives in Barcelona at 10.05am and the train leaves sants @ 3:30 , there is a train at 12:10 but I thought that would be pushing it, I have booked a hotel room in Pamplona and will continue on to SJPP the next day just looking for cheep tickets

The confusion is because three people, including you, are asking for unrelated information on this thread. Its all good.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got what I need, thanks krazee! I will wait to buy my tickets until I purchase my tarjeta dorada at the train station. A 40 % discount is worth the six euros and besides I will probably use the train again at the end or my camino to get to Lisbon and should be able to use the discount again....once again, Thanks

Renfe provides Light Rail Transit in many major cities in Spain. The service is called Cercanius. The Madrid Cercanius stops at Chamartin where you can transfer to intercity trains.

Renfe also provides intercity services. If you want to get tickets and schedule information about intercity travel such as Madrid to Leon ... go to the Renfe site.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/
Thank you so much!!! That was really helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back