• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel in Paris - from CDG to Garibaldi metro station

gimpywalker

I'm so sorry to post a question that has no doubt been answered many times before--but I am having trouble finding the thread--I am arriving very late into CDG (21;30) and have to travel downtown to my hotel. I would like to have some advance knowledge of how to get where I want to go because at that time of night I don't want to get lost. Could someone please direct me to the thread or give me some advice? I can get to le Gare de Montparnasse to catch the train to Bayonne--that will happen in the daytime, but travelling alone at night in a big city is a little daunting. Thanks so much...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
gimpywalker.

The Metro stop Garibaldi for your hotel is on line 13 (Saint Denis - Université to Châtillon - Montrouge) just north of the Paris city limits in Saint-Ouen . Since you will be tired from your flight I suggest that the easiest and less worrisome plan would be to take a taxi from CDG direct to your hotel. Print the name and address of the hotel on a card to show the driver as well as the telephone number in case it is needed. Night is NOT the time for any new traveler to be navigating alone the Metro system in the suburbs.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Under Camino Resources, there is a document that covers all the details of arriving in Paris and getting around Paris including getting to different locations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2103 Getting around in Paris

Paris Transit Network
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk

Paris RER/Metro route planner - SNCF Transilien
http://www.transilien.com/itineraire/rechercheitineraire/init

The route planner gives several routes depending on time of departure.

Using the network Map

RER B to Gare Nord. RER E (Magenta) Gard Nord to Haussman St Lazare. Metro 13 from St Lazare to Garibaldi. The transfer points are major so they may be confusing for orientation.

If you do decide to taxi ... consider RER B to Gare Nord and taxi from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
gimpywalker.

The Metro stop Garibaldi for your hotel is on line 13 (Saint Denis - Université to Châtillon - Montrouge) just north of the Paris city limits in Saint-Ouen . Since you will be tired from your flight I suggest that the easiest and less worrisome plan would be to take a taxi from CDG direct to your hotel. Print the name and address of the hotel on a card to show the driver as well as the telephone number in case it is needed. Night is NOT the time for any new traveler to be navigating alone the Metro system in the suburbs.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks to all who replied--Margaret, I think I will take your advise--really so simple !! Would you have any idea of the cost of the taxi ride to the Garibaldi metro stop, literally outside my hotel, just so I don't have to dig into my "secret stash" to pay...Do taxi drivers use a meter or do we "barter" or just go with the amount they quote? I think I should be asking the cost before getting into the cab? Would it be 20E, 30E 40E's? It doesn't look that far on a map but what do I know? Thanks so much for your help...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'd estimate 45 euros. There will be a meter; no barter. Why not email your hotel and ask them the usual taxi price from CDG to their door? Check out this helpful page from the EasyCDG.com web showing where to find taxi stands at the major terminals.

MM

Thanks again Margaret--I can't find an email address but they have a facebook page so I sent them a message...but if no reply I'll make sure I have enough cash---thanks very much

I'd change that hotel reservation ASAP. What were you thinking?

Then find a hotel within walking distance of the Gare Montpanasse, letting yourself spend what you're saving in taxi fare.

Take the Air France bus from the airport to the Gare.

Bill is SO right! At CDG you can catch the Air France line 4 bus to Gare de Lyon and then continue on to the Gare Montparnasse. See this page of EasyCDG.com for more info regarding Air France buses. If you are looking for a good simple place to stay in Paris near Montparnasse check out the places mentioned by other pilgrims on this earlier thread.

MM

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What were your criteria for hotel selection? If just price, that's one thing. If you have some other reason, like honoring a personal recommendation, then to suggest looking at other hotel options is beside the point.

The more you tell us the easier is to tailor a response to your specific situation.

I'm so sorry to post a question that has no doubt been answered many times before--but I am having trouble finding the thread--I am arriving very late into CDG (21;30) and have to travel downtown to my hotel. ...

If I arrive that late I stay at an airport hotel (at CDG it would be the Ibis). Much easier to cope with a new city when you've had a good night's sleep.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bill, I think you may have accidentally worded your response a little critically with your - "what were you thinking?"

This is obviously a new pilgrim and from the post one can see that she is a little nervous - possibly her first visit to Europe and that can be quite daunting.

I am sure that you didn't mean to be so critical but if you search the forum you will see that she stopped posting completely after your last post :(

It is possible that she will never post a question again. This is a shame as we are here to support and to help.

Our forum tag line is "where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn"

Perhaps you could have suggested that she alter her hotel to one closer to her exit station rather than scolding her?

With best regards

Buen Camino ;)

Greetings from Paris!

If possible, I would strongly recommend that you cancel your hotel reservation and choose a hotel that is actually in Paris, preferably not too far from Montparnasse. Not only is your current hotel outside of Paris, it's also in an area that could be dangerous. On top of the overall high crime rate here, we are also experiencing civil unrest at the moment with violent riots taking place almost on a daily basis. It's pretty crazy.

I live in Paris and can highly recommend an affordable and friendly hotel near the Luxembourg gardens. There are certainly hotels closer to the Montparnasse train station, but this one is not too far and it's very easy to get to from either airport.

It's called The Hotel Stella on rue Monsieur le Prince, 75006 Paris.

I think rooms are about €55 or so, but click on the link above and contact the hotel if you're interested.

From the airport (CDG) just take the RER B (the only suburban train serving Paris from CDG) and get off at the station Luxembourg. Be sure to take an express train into Paris, you don't want the slow one.

Walking to the Gare Montparnasse from the Stella will take you through the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens. What a treat!

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. :) :)

Hello Hotelmedicis--

Thank-you for your heads up. I have indeed changed my hotel after googling "civil unrest" in Paris--the pictures are quite frightening!!

It's funny what does and doesn't make the news over here--I am an avid CBC listener and we have heard nothing about these riots.

I did, however, hear this morning that a Saskatchewan teenager is just 5 kms off the coast of France having started her English Channel crossing last night. She'll make the coast in time for lunch it seems.

Now the question for me is again, how to get to my hotel from CDG. The Air France bus apparently stops running at 2200h. As my flight arrives at 2130h I'll not make it. But my second choice would be to take RER B to Gare du Nord and taxi from there to my hotel. This seems quite do-able and it won't really be that late--I'm spending two nights in Paris and really don't want to change hotels between nights so I guess I'll have to suck up the inconvenience of getting there...

Thanks again

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello!

So you've changed your hotel? Whereabouts is your new hotel? The RER B is fine coming into Paris and there should be direct (or almost direct) trains from CDG to Gare du Nord. Definitely try to avoid the local train that stops at every station. I'm flying to New York in the morning and will not be here, otherwise I would offer to help you, but I think you'll be fine, really. The Gare du Nord is really crazy, however, and though you might not have any problem getting a taxi there, you might also have to wait in line. Another option would just be to walk out on the street and hail a cab.

Regarding the civil unrest, well, there is more to come. I think there are more riots scheduled for tomorrow. The BBC and of course the Daily Mail cover the riots regularly but for some reason a lot of it gets pushed aside, perhaps because France is powerful enough to get news agencies not to report on it. I don't know. I have personally be caught in riots (by accident!) and have been tear gassed by the police on more than one occasion. This was in 2006.

I'm happy to hear about the Saskatchewan teenager -- very exciting news indeed! :)

If you need anything else let me know. I will be off the air all day on the 23rd due to flights and a late arrival in New York but please feel free to ask me anything or send me a personal message if you have questions. Paris is a lot of fun and I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Wishing you a pleasant journey. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back