• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via la Plata - yes or no?

mindgap

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2013
Hey guys,

sorry for this kind of boring yes or no thread but I need some help to decide where to walk next...

At the beginning of the year April-Mai I walked the Camino Francis. I fall in love with this way and also with a girl...but that's another story...

The story ends not good so now I feel I have to go a second time to find myself again (the last time I was maybe to much following this girl). But which way should I walk?

Camino Francis:
I'm afraid that this way will remind me so much about my past experiences with the girl. I love the way and I also want to get in touch with other but maybe the memories are to fresh...

Via de la Plata:
Would be the ultimate challange this year. 1000km ultra hot in august. Wow, I really like such challanges. But and this is my problem with that way...there are not much pilgrims to talk to.

You see my dilema?

What would you do? I really appreciate your feedback...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I'm not going to say yes or no, mindgap, but I will throw out some things to consider.

You seem to be aware of this, but I'll say it again -- the Vdlp in August is likely to be HOT HOT HOT. I love the Vdlp, but it is green and glorious in springtime, hot and parched in summer. And there are lots more people in spring, so you can have companionship if you want it.

If you want a camino with a camino feeling that is less hot, consider starting in Leon, walking the Salvador to Oviedo, and then walking the Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago. This may be too short for your taste, so you could, if you wanted to lengthen it, start in Irun and take the Norte to Villaviciosa, then drop down to Oviedo and walk the Primitivo. There are tons of Primitivo posts here, if you are interested, they will give you a feel for the camino. I love it and many others do too.

Good luck with your decision. Buen camino, Laurie

If you can start in September instead, the VDLP will have more people and get cooler all the way to Santiago.

Melanie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second Laurie's suggestion.

We were stupid enough to take on the VdlP in August (due to work commitments) and although we managed to complete over two years it it was not a pleasant experience. Perhaps if you were to start in Salamanca that would be another alternative as you would miss the frying pans of Andalucia and Extremadura.

Save yourself some money. If you're trying to find yourself, you have to go no further than your heart. Believe me, I'm a "going to find myself" kid from the '60s. If you're walking the Camino to find pilgrims to talk to because you don't want to face loneliness, just pick any pub on the Camino and stay there for a couple of days. You won't have to go anywhere. On the otherhand, if you want to do a pilgrimage to Santiago and pray, maybe for peace or those who hunger or.... then pick any route. You asked for feedback...

A sparkle on the Camino good for you, it is better to have found something even briefly than not at all.
I think you need to do the Le Puy route. I have done Via de la Plata, Mozarabe, Sambrase, Frances, and of the Caminos let your heart be stolen this time by the Le Puy route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Why is the choice Frances or VdlP?
If you are walking in August then the VdlP is verging on suicidal. why not go for one of the other routes, there are plenty to chose from. I haven't done the Norte but they say it is beautiful. Look at the alternatives, that's my suggestion.
Incidentally the VdlP is beautiful, but that is in Spring.

I had a mixed experience of walking the via de la plata this past spring - I shared some of my comments on prior posting.

This said, I might some day consider doing it again but I would again go in the spring as I did before.
I would never consider walking the same trail in August

There are plenty of other routes to consider other than the camino Frances or via de la plata in Spain.

Do not limit yourself to walking in Spain too. August is great time to explore some other bonafide routes in other countries too.

I would never consider it in summer without a camel. You'd have to carry several liters of HEAVY water as many of the fountains and water sources are DRY as a bone (from personal experience). Also with this new construction, you're looking at longer stages and no beds (although there are plenty of camping spots if you took a tent.

Personally, I've attempted it in both summer and spring.
Summer was suicide.
Spring was beautiful - I just had my own challenges that caused me to move up to the Frances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Norte in August? Get ready for a bed race. Albergue, hotel or pension.

I met someone on the Frances, if you are not over her chances are your next camino will bring your feelings to the surface and be there every step of the way , unless you know how to handle this it might not be fun. Do not want put you off, but when i walked the Portugues route I could never fully get into it because my mind was elsewhere.

Good Luck

I second Laurie's suggestion.

We were stupid enough to take on the VdlP in August (due to work commitments) and although we managed to complete over two years it it was not a pleasant experience. Perhaps if you were to start in Salamanca that would be another alternative as you would miss the frying pans of Andalucia and Extremadura.
Hola William - I attempted the VDLP in May this year but had to withdraw due to a foot injury. I am hoping to return again in 2014 - I was initially thinking about a May departure from Salamanca, but it may now have to be late August. From what I have read about the VdlP and the Sanabres from Zamora/Granja de Moreruela it will still be hot but should be a bit cooler once I cross into Gallicia. I would welcome some comments on the pros/cons of such a Camino. Cheers ;)

I've only walked in May, and have been on the Sanabres a few times in June, but never August. Ourense is one of the hottest cities in Spain, strange as that may seem. I think someone has explained the weather phenomenon on another thread.

I expect that you will find a lot of very hot weather, but if late August is all you can manage, if you tolerate heat well, I would say go for it. There probably won't be too many people, which can be a plus sometimes and a minus others. Good luck, and buen camino. Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the VdlP this year in August....despite being warned and advised that it was not a brilliant idea. I did it as a challenge and to fit a time schedule. I really did not think the heat would be all that difficult.

It was worse than anything I could have imagined. Well over 45 (107) degrees for 8 straight days and near that the rest of the time. I did see a couple of people from time to time but they all quit after a couple of days. I was all alone in albergues and while walking until Salamanca.

I did finish but it was not a good time. Great if you just want to have completed a difficult challenge but not a great Camino experience.

I would choose a different time or route.

Just my opinion....of course.

IMHO departing from Salamanca in August shouldn't be a problem. This year I did Zamora-SdC late July/August and I was surprised that it was not warmer. When I arrived in Zamora it was 31c and cooled down after that.
It is correct what Laurie said about Ourense which has a microclimate and is usually warm for the general area but nothing like further south.
I would say go for it but then I was crazy enough to walk Sevilla-Zamora in July and am thinking about doing the Levante this summer.

Thanks for the advice - but being an Australian the heat (unless it is well over 40) should not be too much of a problem. Will just have to start early each morning (before 6.00 am) and take 3 litres of water and of course wear my big hat.:rolleyes:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the advice - but being an Australian the heat (unless it is well over 40) should not be too much of a problem. Will just have to start early each morning (before 6.00 am) and take 3 litres of water and of course wear my big hat.:rolleyes:

That sounds very much like my comments before starting in August this year. It was well over 40 for many days. On the asphalt is was 53 as measured on the bike computers.

I thought the same as you that I could easily handle the heat....actually I did make it but did not really handle the heat....I just endured. I would not do it again.
Most, if not all, of the few pilgrims I saw that I saw did not continue.

I don't actually remember some of the days and some how ended up 2 days ahead of schedule by Salamanca which must mean that I must have just continued to walk in a daze some days. ;)

Just not a good thing to do.

Hey guys,
That sounds very much like my comments before starting in August this year. It was well over 40 for many days. On the asphalt is was 53 as measured on the bike computers.

I thought the same as you that I could easily handle the heat....actually I did make it but did not really handle the heat....I just endured. I would not do it again.
Most, if not all, of the few pilgrims I saw that I saw did not continue.

I don't actually remember some of the days and some how ended up 2 days ahead of schedule by Salamanca which must mean that I must have just continued to walk in a daze some days. ;)

Just not a good thing to do.

sorry for this kind of boring yes or no thread but I need some help to decide where to walk next...

At the beginning of the year April-Mai I walked the Camino Francis. I fall in love with this way and also with a girl...but that's another story...

The story ends not good so now I feel I have to go a second time to find myself again (the last time I was maybe to much following this girl). But which way should I walk?

Camino Francis:
I'm afraid that this way will remind me so much about my past experiences with the girl. I love the way and I also want to get in touch with other but maybe the memories are to fresh...

Via de la Plata:
Would be the ultimate challange this year. 1000km ultra hot in august. Wow, I really like such challanges. But and this is my problem with that way...there are not much pilgrims to talk to.

You see my dilema?

I have just finished the VdlP, currently in Santiago. I found (for me) exactly the right mix of vast open spaces and solitude, and the most wonderful kind, interesting pilgrims with whom to talk in the evenings, and walk with if I wanted. I saw very few women on the trail, so maybe you could avoid temptation! For me it was the best experience ever. Do it, and I hope you'll be as blessed as I have been.

I have just finished the VdlP, currently in Santiago. I found (for me) exactly the right mix of vast open spaces and solitude, and the most wonderful kind, interesting pilgrims with whom to talk in the evenings, and walk with if I wanted. I saw very few women on the trail, so maybe you could avoid temptation! For me it was the best experience ever. Do it, and I hope you'll be as blessed as I have been.
Temptation?!?! - whats that?? LOL:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So maybe I have to make the departure date the 1st September and try to have a rest day every 5-6 days. It's still more than 300 days before my intended departure date so will just do the training and planning and make sure the backpack is 10kg or less. Thanks all for the input and responses. M:rolleyes:

Hi Ms.sirjohnharington, So happy to hear of your arrival. Would love to hear your reflections once you are back home and are putting it all together. Enjoy the bittersweetness of being in Santiago. Laurie

Wow, congratulations and blessings. I too would love to read you reflections in due course. I am a little dubious about this route - will my age inhibit me and can I keep going because it is a long, long way home and it is expensive to change an airline ticket.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Cejanus,
I would not say that the VdlP is physically harder than the Francés, just quieter with fewer stops in between stages.
Of course I do not know your physical condition or age but there are many 60+ people walking the VdlP. And if you need extra rest days so be it. The weather is another story... this past spring was wet, wet, wet. But there is always a bus or train to another Camino!

Wow, congratulations and blessings. I too would love to read you reflections in due course. I am a little dubious about this route - will my age inhibit me and can I keep going because it is a long, long way home and it is expensive to change an airline ticket.

Hello cejanus,

I would not let the age barrier worries you. I walked the vdlp this past winter from sevilla to sdc a couple of months shy of my 70th birthday in 36 walking days with stopover in merida and salamanca, which is halfway distance. Even in the winter, the weather was warm but comfortable up to salamanca. From salamanca onwards i encountered heavy raining weather, strong winds, even snow through sanabres. It rained for 14 days during the second half of the camino, but still not cold.

Vdlp is beautiful even in the winter time. I must be crazy and was told i am crazy to be doing it from the 1st of february during winter. Yes, the walk sometimes covers long distance to find accommodation, it can be lonely as i have encountered just about 7 fellow peregrinos. However if you enjoy the tranquility, i will go for it. The best time i could recommend for you to start is the beginning of april where most of the albergues have reopened.

Good luck on your planning. Buen camino and god bless.

Hey guys,

Camino Francis:

Via de la Plata:

You see my dilema?

Hello mindgap,

Must you do the camino in august? If not, go for it in april. I believe you will enjoy it very much. You will most likely meet many peregrinas from europe on your walk from sevilla. And do stay in sevilla for a couple of nights to enjoy the beautiful city. If you are a historical buff, you will enjoy italica, caparra, merida, caceres, and even zamora. Break your walk in merida, salamanca and maybe ourense.

Who knows, you might even find romance with a lovely peregrina from northern europe. Anyway i hope this helps with your planning. Buen camino and god bless.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cejanus: I am a 66-year-old woman (despite my forum name). It is perfectly feasible. Yes, there are some long stages, but if you are prepared to stay in a Casa rural or a cheap hostal occasionally, then you can usually find a way to shorten them. I started in September from Seville and the heat was ferocious, and last week in Galicia the floods were diluvian, but it was all wonderful. The albergues generally very good, and not crowded. Many pilgrims I met were in their 60s, some 70 or so. Take the plunge!

Thanks you, thank you for your replies of encouragement. You have spurred me on more to get on with it and make the decision. Yep the family will think I am nuts again but hey it is a calling - i don't know what it is but i just need to heed the call. Blessings to all of you. Time to start looking for the flights.

The Plata in August is brutal, quiet, and solitary. I am not sure this is something I would think of as a challenge. It is true that others have done the walk in August, but my question would be, why would they? It is more of a grueling test of....how bad do I want my daily experience to be.

My comments are not predicated on experience, but on those of my friends who have tried and failed and tried and succeeded in this time period.

The bottom line is what does your heart tell you to do; that is what you must follow.

€83,-
My heart says walk in April and May and no later as I just would not cope with the heat at all.

My heart says walk in April and May and no later as I just would not cope with the heat at all.

Cejanus,

Go for it. You have started your camino, now bring it to fruition and do not look back. Plan ahead with absolute no regrets.

Buen camino.

Ah thanks for the encouragement. Now to look at the cheap flights before they cease on 15th November. I will need to explore where to fly into from the west coast of Australia.?? Any suggestions??

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Cejanus
I flew into Madrid, took the yellow bus to Atocha station and then the Ave to Seville. Booked the train from Raileurope Australia. I stayed in Hotel Simon and got my credencial there too.
Heather

Good day, I have read all the above: please tell me (I see the weather is good in June) but the route compared to the French way from SaintJeanPied dePort, is it also nice, full of nice scenery, little towns that you go through - nice historic churches, old city streets that you go through?......Please tell me how the 2 routes differ, (how you would rate them) I would love to walk the French way again - but - should I?

Good day, I have read all the above: please tell me (I see the weather is good in June) but the route compared to the French way from SaintJeanPied dePort, is it also nice, full of nice scenery, little towns that you go through - nice historic churches, old city streets that you go through?......Please tell me how the 2 routes differ, (how you would rate them) I would love to walk the French way again - but - should I?

hello riatolken,

i hope you have a nice christmas.

yes the weather will definiely be good in june to walk the vdlp. on the negative side it maybe a little bit too warm in the first half of the camino. the two routes, imho, are quite different from each other. you will not meet as many peregrinos as cf. if you like history, you would really enjoy the vdlp apart from the beautiful scenery in the spring. the vdlp is very riched in history, you will see many, many roman ruins along the way. if you start from sevilla (1000 kms) from santiago, you will pass through ruins in italica, caparra, marida, caceres. at halfway point in salamanca is the second oldest university in europe. from this point on thre weather will turned colder, rain and wind. i don't know whether you will be connecting to astorga or go west via the sanabres to ourense. you will walked some longer distance in stages. there are many, many small towns along the way. english is not as highly spoken or understood as the cf. it will be advantageous if you understand and speak some spanish.

i walked the vdlp during the winter months. even at that time of the year, the country sides are beautiful. there will be other peregrinos who have walked in the spring that can give you better advice than me.

good luck on your planning and buen camino. god bless.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks a lot, we - me and my husband- like to walk in Solitude (sounds bad): but we are not going there to meet new friends, we will join in having evening meals together, but I found that if you talk while walking - you miss out on the route/scenery & the experience as a whole (I know people will differ, but that's just how the Camino works for each individual) ! I do think to take the alternative route and not going to Astorga xx

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back