• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk without reservations or sign with tour

El Gallo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances; Sept.2015
I am considering doing the Camino del Norte next year. I have seen there are tour companies (Mac Adventures is one) that make reservations for you at each stop. They offer a private room with HOT shower, breakfast, and some other small things. The price is not bad.
My concern is that you have to walk at THEIR pace to make it to the reservation each day, then you gotta find the place. What if you stop in a town that you really like and would want to spend an extra day there. What if you just want an extra day's rest.
I think I have just answered my own question but would appreciate feedback from anyone who has booked in advance.
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am considering doing the Camino del Norte next year. I have seen there are tour companies (Mac Adventures is one) that make reservations for you at each stop. They offer a private room with HOT shower, breakfast, and some other small things. The price is not bad.
My concern is that you have to walk at THEIR pace to make it to the reservation each day, then you gotta find the place. What if you stop in a town that you really like and would want to spend an extra day there. What if you just want an extra day's rest.
I think I have just answered my own question but would appreciate feedback from anyone who has booked in advance.
Buen Camino

You can as well book in advance without using the tourist companies. Then it is easier to cancel a booking if you want a change in your scedule. I did that on the Norte from Irun to Santander May 2013. Plenty of room everywhere. And half the price of a fixed tour I think. Might be more crowdy if your camino is in August I guess.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, the price is "not bad" from some perspectives. I see on the website that 40 nights of lodging starts at 2290 pounds, which is about $3800 dollars. Rounding that comes out to about $100 a night. Though private accommodation on the norte is undoubtedly more expensive than on the Frances because of all the tourist towns it passes through, the kinds of places you will be booked in are undoubtedly going for less than half of that, in some cases a lot less than half.

I have reserved and planned stages for friends on the camino, and I know it is a very time consuming endeavor, but that seems to me to be all that is added by this company for that price. So if it's worth it to you to double your accommodation price by having someone else do the reservations, that's of course up to you. With a Spanish phone and a guidebook, you can preserve the flexibility others have mentioned and stay in the same places at at least half the total cost. Others can correct me if I'm wrong about prices on the Norte (I haven't walked it since 2006, I think), and I don't know if this is a standard tour company mark-up, but I personally wouldn't pay that amount to lock myself into an itinerary in order to save making a bunch of phone calls from the Camino. I mean no criticism of those who do want to spend that, it's all a matter of what it's worth to you.

We found accomodation for ourselves booking just one or two nights ahead and the total cost per day for 2 of us including food was less the 100€ per day.
You can find accomodation via sites such as booking.com and venere.com, or gronze.com and by internet search for the towns you are passing though. The CSJ and the Cicerone guides and gronze are guides to the route and also have suggested accomodation plus phone numbers as well as the list of albergues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For a good place in Llanes we can recommend the Gran Hotel Paraiso. If you do stay there please do tell them 'saludos de Terrencio y señora' .

Gracias Tia! I will make a note of the Hotel Gran Paraiso in Llanes and will say Hi on your behalf if it happens to be on my path.

Sound advice above by seasoned pilgrims. I think that few would advocate using a tour company for the reasons you have identified yourself. But it is your choice not that of anyone else. Do you know any Spanish? If not get the relevant phrases sorted out and written down before you go. Maybe think of getting "Camino Lingo" by Sillydoll?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've done it both ways. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Both were a good experience. It's a matter of personal choice.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back