• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in May/June 2012 - Have a few questions

vimbai87

Hi everyone!

This is such a great forum, I've been visiting it for some time but now I feel ready to jump in myself : )

I did the Camino Portuguese in July 2010 and it was a truly amazing journey. Now I'm preparing for my next camino. I will be walking Camino de Madrid in late May/early June. If anyone else has similar plans, please let me know!

Just have a few questions..

Firstly, will I be alright with only very basic skills of Spanish?
Also wondering:
Is Santa Maria the only albergue I need to call ahead to?
Is the albergue in Zamarrala worth the extra kms, rather than staying at a hostal in Segovia?
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a walking stick somewhere in Madrid or along the way? If so, do you think I will be able to take it on the plane with me back? (maybe if I check it in?)
Lastly I just want to double check that this camino is safe for a female pilgrim travelling solo? (I had a bit of a scare once on the C.P but other than that ran into no problems whatsoever safety-wise, just asking since this camino seems a bit desolate)

I think that's it for now : )
Thanks in advance!
All the best
Vimbai

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
vimbai87 said:
Is the albergue in Zamarrala worth the extra kms, rather than staying at a hostal in Segovia?
Vimbai
Hi Viambi, I'm not looking at any notes and haven't really kept up to date with Madrid route. When I walked it last Easter (April) I was told a new albergue was planned for this small village which is at end point plus 1km, of the city of Segovia. It is a long walk from Cercidilla to Segovia. If you would like to explore Segovia perhaps you should stay there one night and after your day of sightseeing walk up to Zamarralla.
If you look here camino-de-madrid/topic10773.html you'll get some information which was accurate at time of posting.
Enjoy your sleepless nights planning!

Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi to those walking the Camino de Madrid this year. Last year I followed in the footsteps of crackmrmac and another forum member, Caminando, and added some comments based on my experiences here: camino-de-madrid/topic11148.html

I don't know if you have seen the Confraternity of St. James online guide to the Camino de Madrid, but it is very helpful. http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

I have detailed notes to supplement that guide, if you like details, and I will send them to you if you send me a PM (private message).

Vimbai, I am a 61 year old woman, and I was alone on this route. Never a problem. I do speak Spanish well, and that helps a lot because this is a pretty rural part of Spain and there are few young people, hence, few English speaking people. But I think you will be fine because the Camino is fairly well established and people in the towns know where you're going. It was solitary last May/June, I met only two Spanish walkers and a few cyclists. But the pilgrim infrastructure is so fabulous that I'm sure the numbers will increase, particularly from pilgrims in Madrid and environs.

I second the recommendation for some time in Segovia if you've never been there. Also, I took a detour about 10 km off the camino to visit Valladolid, and though it doesn't have the Roman attraction of Segovia, it is a very pretty city with a fabulous sculpture museum, located in a Renaissance building that is a feast for the eyes. Lots of little pensiones there. I also found that with the detour to Valladolid, I was able to plan my stages so I coincided with very nice albergues.

Buen camino! Laurie

the first time today talking about Aue they were doing Zamarramala The hostel was in 2008, I think we still have not begun, welcome in a hermitage but according to me does not meet conditions mentioned, you have to go to shower elsewhere.
I have said many times that the hostel we had to put at the entrance of Segovia as it is a long stage with a port and free services, I said to the mayor but I have no case
A hug and a good way

P. S. He has received many pilgrims at home, cause I was out walking along the road and if I see any offer it, free of course

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back