• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in winter

brawblether

Time of past OR future Camino
June/Jul 2012; Feb 2014
Having completed one pilgrimage in summer last year I am looking ahead to my next. This time I'll be walking in winter (mid-late Feb) from Logrono to Leon. My question to those who have walked before me in the winter months is: what one thing, specific to walking in winter, would you recommend packing?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is not a single thing, but a single notion. Treat everything as a layer. If it's cold, why am I carrying clothes rather than wearing them?

So I have this saying: "If it's not a layer, it's an at-home stayer." (Still waiting for that to catch on and go all proverbial. For some reason, it hasn't.)

Winter walking is great, just, er, very different.

Excited for you!

Rob

brawblether said:
Having completed one pilgrimage in summer last year I am looking ahead to my next. This time I'll be walking in winter (mid-late Feb) from Logrono to Leon. My question to those who have walked before me in the winter months is: what one thing, specific to walking in winter, would you recommend packing?

Brawblether,

You must be very excited to be leaving again later this month!!

Gaiters can be very helpful!. The best advice is to BE PREPARED for extreme and varied weather. Nights can be bitter cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms.

Regarding the state of the path and weather forecasts be sure to ask the locals and watch TV reports. In bad weather many steep descents on the camino would be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. For example the stretch from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca.

Sillydoll who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking at >> http://amawalker.blogspot.com/ Another good account of winter walking by a Forum member is the current 2013 blog http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/ .

Not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is on the next stage. You will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere; generally they will either be heated or have blankets.

Have a safe and warm Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And without opening up a boots v trainers debate, I can't wear boots so it will have to be trainers. Thinking specifically if this, any recommendations?

Thanks heaps for your replies above. I look forward to exploring the links you provided.

brawblether said:
And without opening up a boots v trainers debate, I can't wear boots so it will have to be trainers. Thinking specifically if this, any recommendations?

Thanks heaps for your replies above. I look forward to exploring the links you provided.

Given that rain is likely if you are wearing trainers I'd recommend waterproof socks as a strategy to avoid blisters: http://www.sealskinz.com/

Thanks JW! I wore liner socks most of the days the last time I walked. Still haven't decided whether they were good or not! What are your thoughts on them with the waterproof socks?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there..i do alot of high altitude hiking in the mountains of NZ and its awesome..if you need ideas for a lightweight packing list let me know...i travel with a 45l pack and including food it never gets over 9kg in weight...id love to share my thoughts if at all interested..

Take care :)

My first camino commenced on Feb 22 and ended on March 21st in Santiago with three more days out to Finisterre. 2005 was the coldest winter in 60 years according to one tv report at the time. Layers were definitely necessary but as the weather warmed up, it was actually harder to walk.
Walking on a layer of snow was not so bad but when it thawed by noon (especially in Navarra where the mud is exceptionally bootsticking) the path became much more taxing. The last couple of weeks also changed about 30 degrees C of temperature so I think of that as my three season Camino, The weight of snowpants, gaiters and a winterweight sleeping bag (for some of those unheated albergues) became much harder than when I was wearing the winter wear.
There were enough albergues along the Camino Frances to do this and often be the only ones there. I walked with two Mallorcan women who are still fast friends - one walked with me this past November from Zamora to Astorga and we three plan for another November Camino this year. To be the only three for the Pilgrim mass in Roncesvalles (in thigh deep snow) and in many other parts was terrific.
Taking along Spanish speaking people for a winter camino was very helpful to get the "inside scoop" although I think they only joined me because I had brought toilet paper and as a Canuck knew how to walk through snow with the occasional stop to make a snow angel.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
kiwipilgrimnz said:
Hi there..i do alot of high altitude hiking in the mountains of NZ and its awesome..if you need ideas for a lightweight packing list let me know...i travel with a 45l pack and including food it never gets over 9kg in weight...id love to share my thoughts if at all interested..

Take care :)

:arrow: Hi, KiwiPilgrim,
I'd highly appreciate if you would publish your leightweight packing list.
I ALSO managed to keep my whole luggage (Daypack 2.5 kg and Backpack 6 kg) at under 9kg (it depended on the CaminoSnack stuffed into my Daypack), but I am always willing to learn a bit more on HOW TO DROP the total weight.
Thank you VERY MUCH beforehand,
Ursula

One thing to bear in mind is also that snow can cover a lot of the markings (arrows painted on trees etc) so be extra attentive when that situation arises, make a mental note of when you saw the last markings plus carry a guide that has reasonable maps. SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back