• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

warning

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Today as we walked from Bodenaya (6.5km away) a well-dressed elderly gentleman with a cane was sitting on a stone wall. The kids were ahead of me so I didn't want to stop for too long but he reached his hand out and spoke so I stopped. After a firm handshake he pulled me towards him for a very friendly kiss on the cheek. Too friendly, mouth open wide. I pulled back, and not just because of his stubble. He pulled again for the other side - convention says kiss each cheek, yes, but not as he was doing. I was really uncomfortable. We "talked" a little more, then I bid him goodbye. He grabbed my hand again and pulled me close, and managed another "biting of my cheek" but I pulled away and walked off. I realised when I was still thinking about it as Tineo came in sight, that it would not be a bad idea to post my experience here as a warning for other single women walking this way. I'm sure he meant no harm, and I had two poles and could have outrun him, but it was simply unpleasant.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, Rachel, those kinds of things just leave a terrible feeling inside you. We need to be more aggressively "rude" when things like this happen, but I know that's easier said than done. I once had a guy hop off his bike right before a hill and tried to do something similar but I shouted. He then pedaled off, and I made it to the top of the hill just as he was going into his house. So I stopped and asked him if he would like me to go inside and tell his wife what he had done, but he was high tailing it into the house and didn't respond. Thankfully, this problem seems to be limited to old guys, maybe subsequent generations have changed their attitudes.

I hope it didn't spoil what is otherwise such a beautiful day, that stretch after Tineo has to be some of the most beautiful scenery on any Camino. You are making amazing progress, I am enjoying your blog and so happy for you and for the children -- you are all so very lucky and blessed! Laurie

Thanks Laurie
It's interesting that after I decided I should mention it here in the hopes of helping someone else I didn't think of it again - and you're right about the beauty. I kept thinking I can understand why Tio y Tia on this forum say it's their favourite! Paths that are interesting without being demanding (although that could be different after rain!) and picture book views to be awed by.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow. I'd totally forgotten about that guy! I got the same treatment, even though John was with me. Some of the other lady pilgrims, who were walking alone, also commented about this wierd, creepy guy when we met up with them later. I " think " he's probably harmless, but very over familiar. And because he's well dressed and seems to be a friendly old man, you get taken by surprise when he starts the kissing!!

On another note, I saw a great photo of you all kiwi-family, on Alex from Bodenayas Facebook page. You look GREAT! Was so excited to see that today. I'm totally in awe of you all.

Remember that old guy from last September too, although it was not me who was harassed but my wife. It was nasty. Me and my wife's first reaction was that the man is too old to really get angry at. But as it seems to go on for such a long time it is even worse. Thanks for warning!
I hope a warned woman can give him a 'suitable' answer next time. Although, how long would he still be there if every man would do the same to him as he does to women.... :p
Any other suggestions.:cool: I'm getting in the mood...

By the way, love your blog too!

Oh, Rachel, those kinds of things just leave a terrible feeling inside you. We need to be more aggressively "rude" when things like this happen, but I know that's easier said than done. I once had a guy hop off his bike right before a hill and tried to do something similar but I shouted. He then pedaled off, and I made it to the top of the hill just as he was going into his house. So I stopped and asked him if he would like me to go inside and tell his wife what he had done, but he was high tailing it into the house and didn't respond. Thankfully, this problem seems to be limited to old guys, maybe subsequent generations have changed their attitudes.

I hope it didn't spoil what is otherwise such a beautiful day, that stretch after Tineo has to be some of the most beautiful scenery on any Camino. You are making amazing progress, I am enjoying your blog and so happy for you and for the children -- you are all so very lucky and blessed! Laurie

Well done! You are obviously an experienced woman. When we're less experienced we later imagine what we might have said, but you said it! That's impressive. I, too, think we need to be more aggressively "rude." I think it's the way to ward off the "terrible feeling inside you" that women are so prone to feel after someone else has felt free to violate us in some manner. When I was 22 and taking a train from Paris to Barcelona we went through a long tunnel and the guy sitting across from me jumped up in the dark and sat next to me professing his deep love while trying to kiss me. I understood every word of his French, and, for once, someone (he) understood every word of my mine. He got up and took his rightful spot across from me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
First off, show no mercy and whack these creeps whenever wherever. And that from am far from a violent man...
Second, I know from personal experience (yes guys too have these kind of experiences, mine was in a public toilet in Burgos, wont go into details ;-) that you are too flabbergasted to respond appropriately, and only after a couple of miles/minutes you find yourself outraged and ready to respond! In which case I would say inform your Hospitalero with vigour on your next stop and let the Camino security radio do its work, like it would with bedbug occurrences... If you dont speak up, you are keeping the situation intact.

So S Brown, well done! This guy hopefully will think again before pulling a similar stunt.

Had read your warning and was able to share in Bodenaya night before last. Yes, the same man was there on wall on the most absolute muddiest path. He reached out for me, and I grabbed his hand EXTREMELY hard to make HIM pull away. Then he started asking me questions about any others who stayed in Bodenaya. I didn't answer and stayed there for a few minutes to warn other walkers the man was there. He was not happy no one was stopping for him.

On another note, Alejandro and his refugio in Bodenaya have now made my "top 3" along with Guemes and Granon!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well done mralisn ! A few more like you and maybe he'll stop sitting there. And yes, Alex and Bodenaya was a real highlight. What a great guy! Buen camino to you, Helen

Has anyone though to let Alejandro know that there is a problem? He might be able to have a quiet word with the old gentleman's family if he has one, or with the man himself. He may mean no harm, but it is obviously upsetting.

Has anyone though to let Alejandro know that there is a problem? He might be able to have a quiet word with the old gentleman's family if he has one, or with the man himself. He may mean no harm, but it is obviously upsetting.
Excellent idea, but, no I hadn't thought to tell him. As you say, he may be able to speak to the family, and he might also quietly warn pilgrims who stay with him. I'll contact him when I get home - unless someone else can before me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back