• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water along the way

NC

Hi all I'm leaving from Sjpdp later this month and I was wondering if there are plenty if opportunities to fill up on water along the way especially day 1?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all I'm leaving from Sjpdp later this month and I was wondering if there are plenty if opportunities to fill up on water along the way especially day 1?
Hello NC,
I've managed to do the Camino Frances twice starting everyday with 2 plastic water bottles full. Please make sure you drink often and top up whenever the opportunity is there. Bars, Shops and water fountains.

Buen Camino.............Keith

Howdo NC, No problem with water. I carried two 500ml water bottles and they were always plenty, and that was in the heat of the summer. Plenty of fountains and other places to fill up. I can only think of the longish, but fascinating, stretch from Carrion to Calzadilla de la Cueza and the even longer bit from Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to Mansilla where you may wish to add an extra bottle or two, especially if the weather is hot.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Day 1 between SJPDP and Rincesvalles (via Route Napoleon) you can fill up at Honto, Orisson, and the fountain on the border.

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1395880960.549697.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do I need to gave one of those water cylinders to carry water? Don't want that extra weight.
Or will the two 500ml bottles do me fine?

That made no sense. The mastic tubes that go in your pack with a tube to sip on. Do I need that or will water bottles be fine

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh dear. Finger fumbles. Roncesvalles (winces).

We all got the message when you reach RINCEVALLES you can wash your bottles...............when you reach RONCEVALLES you can simply drink.

BEER OR VINO TINTO.

Mines a BEER and a VINO TINTO later with my meal.

Do I need to gave one of those water cylinders to carry water? Don't want that extra weight.
Or will the two 500ml bottles do me fine?

Hi Deanna,
2 x 500 ml bottles will be just fine but.............drink plenty during each day before you feel thisty...................refill whenever you get the opportunity.
My own view is that there is an issue in keeping all the parts of " those water cylinders " sterile.
Couple of plastic bottles .............another money saving idea.

Buen Camino................Keith.

Hi Deanna,
2 x 500 ml bottles will be just fine but.............drink plenty during each day before you feel thisty...................refill whenever you get the opportunity.
My own view is that there is an issue in keeping all the parts of " those water cylinders " sterile.
Couple of plastic bottles .............another money saving idea.

Buen Camino................Keith.
I think the 500 ml (or 600ml) water bottles are fine too, but they slip out of the side pouches of my pack al I have a couple of "flattened" flask shaped aluminium bottles. I clean them using Sterident or Milton tablets, a tip that also works for cleaning straws and the tubes of water bladders.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the 500 ml (or 600ml) water bottles are fine too, but they slip out of the side pouches of my pack al I have a couple of "flattened" flask shaped aluminium bottles. I clean them using Sterident or Milton tablets, a tip that also works for cleaning straws and the tubes of water bladders.

Deanna its quite simply your choice............................ITS YOUR CAMINO, OTHERS MAY WALK WITH YOU, BUT NO ONE CAN WALK IT FOR YOU.

Each to their own but I have only walked the Camino twice covering over 4,000 km never lost a plastic bottle once, lost various pieces of clothing but that's a different THREAD.
The shorter dumpy bottles fit better than the taller " coke " bottles. Sterident etc are obvious sterile remedies but its another extra chore, anther extra few grames they are quite heavy.
It could also be a problem with your pack............heaven forbid.

Deanna its quite simply your choice............................ITS YOUR CAMINO, OTHERS MAY WALK WITH YOU, BUT NO ONE CAN WALK IT FOR YOU.

Each to their own but I have only walked the Camino twice covering over 4,000 km never lost a plastic bottle once, lost various pieces of clothing but that's a different THREAD.
The shorter dumpy bottles fit better than the taller " coke " bottles. Sterident etc are obvious sterile remedies but its another extra chore, anther extra few grames they are quite heavy.
It could also be a problem with your pack............heaven forbid.

Er, yes. Obviously. Did I strike a nerve or something? I'm not contradicting you, only saying what works for me. My husband uses standard water bottles. I thought the Sterident tip quite useful; people are always asking how to clean water bladders. It's only necessary to do it once or twice (2 tablets don't weigh much).

Er, yes. Obviously. Did I strike a nerve or something? I'm not contradicting you, only saying what works for me. My husband uses standard water bottles. I thought the Sterident tip quite useful; people are always asking how to clean water bladders. It's only necessary to do it once or twice (2 tablets don't weigh much).

No offence taken, no nerves, no something these are all personal opinions " if it aint broke don't fix it ".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Water? On the Camino? Never heard of it! True there are many places marked aqua potable or aqua non-potable but with very few exceptions the thing to look for are any one of the thousands of coffee bars/bars along the way. Fresh squeezed juice, fantastic Spanish coffee, beer, wine, and almost any beverage of choice. Don't just trudge and slog on by, these are in no way similar to the American bar or saloon not even an English pub but they are also serve as a wonderful place to meet pilgrims for a chinwag or to fix a meeting spot with friends, or to use the Wifi there . Don't worry about the water, drink the stuff if you must, but there will almost always be a friendly waterhole of a different sort close by/

Scruffy1 great answer. Just what I needed. Thanks.

Here is my experience as a would be Pelegrino, a few weeks ago we loaded our packsack with the items we want to bring on our Camino including our camelbacks/water bladers and walked 12 KM. The 2 liter camelbacks pushed up the weight of our packs to 12 Kilos and took up a lot of room in our 42 liter packsacks. After that experience, we have decided to carry two water bottles instead on our Camino. We are leaving St-Jean Pied de Port on the 20th of April 2014.

Last edited:

€149,-
Here is my experience as a would be Pelegrino, a few weeks ago we loaded our packsack with the items we want to bring on our Camino including our camelbacks/water bladers and walked 12 KM. The 2 liter camelbacks pushed up the weight of our packs to 12 Kilos and took up a lot of room in our 42 liter packsacks. After that experience, we have decided to carry two water bottles instead on our Camino. We are leaving St-Jean Pied de Port on the 20th of April 2014.
Hi JP,

Very wise choice you will find plenty of various liquids on the way, but do support the local traders who in turn support us.

Buen Camino................LIVE YOUR DREAM, NOT DREAM YOUR LIFE.

"but do support the local traders who in turn support us."

I won't have a choice, I do not like beer or wine (a bit of a mystery since my Ancestors were French and Irish) and water makes me rust on the inside. I will be on the hunt for Coca-Cola machine on the Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
[...]Don't worry about the water, drink the stuff if you must, but there will almost always be a friendly waterhole of a different sort close by/
You will find fountains in most villages and towns. Some will indicate whether the water is "potable". Others mention nothing. It basically means whether or not the water has been "oficially declared" to be drinkable. You will often notice locals happily drenching their thirst at any fountain. However.... often people from other "sanitary origins" are not used to the water which is perfectly OK for the locals (even if it doesn't specifically say so). You will not die, but may have an upset bowel system for a while:eek:. Bottled water is always safe.;)

You will find fountains in most villages and towns. Some will indicate whether the water is "potable". Others mention nothing. It basically means whether or not the water has been "oficially declared" to be drinkable. You will often notice locals happily drenching their thirst at any fountain. However.... often people from other "sanitary origins" are not used to the water which is perfectly OK for the locals (even if it doesn't specifically say so). You will not die, but may have an upset bowel system for a while:eek:. Bottled water is always safe.;)
When I walked the CF in Apr, there was generally no problem with fonts in towns, but several of the wayside fonts between towns were dry. If you just going to take a litre or so (2 x 500ml or 600ml bottles) you will need to make sure you refill them at every opportunity.

As to bladders and bottles, I use a bladder and depending on the circumstances, have a 750ml bottle in reserve. I don't expect to need to carry a reserve on my next camino, but I will be starting each day with at least 2li of water in a bladder, and would expect to refill that two or three times each day.

Regards,

Don't worry about the water, drink the stuff if you must, but there will almost always be a friendly waterhole of a different sort close by/
Hey there Scruffy, it's been a while!

I'm with you right there at the bar, but in moderation. Hard won experience shows that Day 1 Cheers + Day 2 Cheers + Day 3 Cheers = Day 4 Dehydration Blues (or is it "blows"????).

Cheers!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That made no sense. The mastic tubes that go in your pack with a tube to sip on. Do I need that or will water bottles be fine

No, just the 500 ml bottles that you can easily buy along the way to your starting point are fine. I carry four 500 ml bottles as I need it for specific medical reasons.

But everyone is different. I have special inox (stainless steel) hooks that enable the bottles to be clipped to my pack harness or waist belt to better distribute weight.

I personally believe the water bladder systems are overkill as there is a weight penalty even when the bladder is empty. However every person has their own style and hydration needs. What works for me may not work for you.

That's my next question. Do they have coke zero on the camino? That is my water

Hi Deanna,

I would be very surprised if the marketing team at coke have missed an opportunity.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Yes, Coca Cola Zero and Coca Cola Light are available in Spain, it can be hit or miss at the bar/cafe, but readily available at the tiendas and supermercados.

Coke Zero is available on the Camino and Outer Mongolia and wasn't that a Coke fridge I saw in the last lot of NASA photos of Mars?

I'm surprised by people saying that water bladders are heavy. Mine weighs only 40 grams and is made of anti-microbial plastic. It's my preference for the convenience of just being able to stick the hose in my mouth without any effort whenever I want and it stays nice and cool tucked away in my pack. That said, I do a lot of outback hiking, so it's much more convenient for that. My mum is taking water bottles instead as that is her preference.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm surprised by people saying that water bladders are heavy. Mine weighs only 40 grams and is made of anti-microbial plastic. It's my preference for the convenience of just being able to stick the hose in my mouth without any effort whenever I want and it stays nice and cool tucked away in my pack. That said, I do a lot of outback hiking, so it's much more convenient for that. My mum is taking water bottles instead as that is her preference.

Hello Lali,
The main problem here is that no one has invented pack of water along the lines of dehydrated trekking meals. Water bottles, Water bladders, Camel backs are all fine. You pays your money and makes your choice. They are all lightweight and practical but fill them with water and surprise surprise they become heavy VERY HEAVY.
Sixty years ago at school I was taught...." A PINT OF WATER, WEIGHS A POUND AND A QUARTER, A GALLON OF WATER, WEIGHS TEN POUNDS ".

Drink little and often believe me dehydration is to be avoided at all times.
Buen Camino...........Keith.

I've got a few bags of dehydrated water I'd be happy to sell. £5 a bag inc postage. Just add water and mix well...
NO NO NO , I bought some SCOTCH MIST ( CLAN STUART ) from you last year and to say I was disappointed is an understatement.

DON'T BUY FROM THIS MAN HE IS A CONMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I cut day 1 short on the Valcarlos route because of how dehydrated I was, and there were no fountains after Valcarlos until just before Roncesvalles. Day 1 is going to be hard no matter what, so stay hydrated!

I have a 2 liter bladder in my pack and carry a 500 ml Aquarious bottle. (Filled with water, not the soft drink). I have an Osprey bladder, and one side is rigid, so it prevents the barreling effect you get with other bladders.

I always carried a “just-in-case” 500 ml filled bottle in my pack, but my day-to-day 750 ml squeeze bottle hung suspended within a pouch (50 grams) that fit with velcro strap over my pack’s waistbelt. My water was always very accessible and this system worked well for me. (Sometimes getting a bottle out of your pack’s side pouch is doable, but getting it back in is another matter). My 750 ml squeeze bottle had a pull top and a wide mouth, so easy to clean. The 500 ml bottle I just replaced every week or so.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I carry two 1 liter bottles, and I keep a backup 750ml bladder designed for wine that I can use a backup for longer walks (15+ KM) where there will be limited intermediate fountains. I didn't need the extra water myself, but was twice able to help other pilgrims who ran out --- it was worth the extra weight ten times over.

Each morning, I add a cup of fruit juice and any remainders of wine from the night before (usually about a cup), and then fill the rest with water. I start the day drinking from the liter with plain water, and I'm ready to start on the liter with juice/wine after about 10KM. It's a good energy bump for the middle third of the day.

As a rule, I generally try to drink a liter per 10KM, give or take, as weather and exertion require. Given the amount I'm drinking each day, I also carry with me electrolyte powder to mix in, the Spanish brand that seems to be common is Flech-to-min (or similar).

I used two 500 ml bottles, one in each side pocket and a smartube listed below. I found this item great as you didn't have to struggle to get the water bottle out of the pocket or back in without stopping.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SmarTube-Cyc...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item258b09e4e1
This looks interesting but is astronomically priced. On the UK eBay site it costs nearly £10 plus another £5 for postage. £15 (about $26) for a metre of plastic tubing, a plastic bottle-cap and possible a simple valve seems vastly over priced. They don't even supply an empty bottle, as far as I can see.
I can feel a little do it yourself project coming on.

Day 1 between SJPDP and Rincesvalles (via Route Napoleon) you can fill up at Honto, Orisson, and the fountain on the border.

Beware that the map the Pilgrim Office gives out is inaccurate in regards to where the water fountains are! Kanga has it right - there are just three water sources between SJPP and Roncesvalles: Honto is 5 kms from SJPP, then 3 kms more to Orisson, then it's about 10 kms to the Spain-France border and the LAST chance for water until Roncesvalles.

Honto is a gite, and the spigot is on the side of the building by the tables and chairs. Orisson is also a gite, and the spigot is by the terrace, opposite the building.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Question of how much water to carry is an individual thing, as you can see from all of the above posts. More you carry, less refilling you need to do along the way. I reckon you find out after couple of days what works for you. It might not work for others, but that does not matter. There were two of us walking and both had different "water strategies". I personally had at the beginning of the day two 500ml plastic bottles. One filled with water, the other one with orange juice (left over from breakfast). I would top up water at every opportunity. Orange juice was for a sugar boost drank at about 3/4 of the day's distance.
My two cents :)

We have made our own home-made Gatorade for local practice walks, using half water/half orange juice and some salt. It is a real thirst quencher.

Be aware Gatorade can cause and/or contribute to gout due to the high level of fructose sugar which increases one's uric acid. I don't completely understand the chemistry but I found out the hard way with swollen feet that literally left me on my hands and knees for a couple of day.:eek::eek:

Last edited:
I use the Camelbak tablets (same as the water bladder folks) that dissolve in water like a fizzy tablet or Alka-Seltzer. I must break them in half to fit them through the bottleneck, but one tablet per 500 ml makes an expedient electrolyte replacement drink with no fructose that I am aware of.

One can find them, or their local equivalent, in a hiking or possibly a runner's supply shop. Mine are lemon-lime flavored. I can clearly taste the salts. But after a long day on the camino, the effect is noticeable. I keep a tube or two in my rucksack waist pocket for immediate access.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.