• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

we made it!

tincress

We are here in a wet santiago de compostela. We made it with the assistance of our pushchair, which became known as the pig or el cerdo! A walk in the park it was not, but although challenging, very satisfying and do-able, even for two grannies! We did it in better time that we anticipated, one day walking our maximum distance of 24 k. Stayed in, Naron, Hostal Mareial, Pontedueme, hospedaje de Norte, Betanzos (campsite by the beach) for three nights (one day off here) and then commuted by bus back to Mino to do the stretch to Betanzos, then Presedo (Albegue still not open) so on to Abegondo and the Poliportivo (great, plus use of swimming pool for no extra charge) then lovely Meson de Vento, meson Novo, and finally Siguero (horrible Hostal Miras) and walked last 16.5 k to Santiago de Compostela, staying in University Accomodation, "Rey" on Preguntorias.

Just do it, you know you can! :D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Congratulations Tincress on your Camino, its just as wet here in England today,
but now enjoy a rest you've earned it!!!.

Neil & Brenda White

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well done both of you. Glad you made it and things went well.
Interested to know your route from Betanzos through Abegondo etc. to Meson do Vento. We thought of going that way but were strongly advised against it, so followed the CSJ guide which misses Abegondo.
Hope that it dried up for you in Santiago.
God bless,
Tia Valeria

tincress said:
... and finally Siguero (horrible Hostal Miras)...

Interesting. I have stayed at the Hostal Miras two years in a row. Both were quite acceptable considering the cost. Last week it cost me 25 euros for the room and a very nice dinner. Also, when I arrived there in the afternoon and got an Estrella at the bar, the waitress brought me a dish of a very nice ham stew for free. It was quite good and a more than adequate lunch.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
daesdaemar said:
tincress said:

Interesting. I have stayed at the Hostal Miras two years in a row. Both were quite acceptable considering the cost. Last week it cost me 25 euros for the room and a very nice dinner. Also, when I arrived there in the afternoon and got an Estrella at the bar, the waitress brought me a dish of a very nice ham stew for free. It was quite good and a more than adequate lunch.

In 2009 I walked Ferrol to Santiago and stayed at the Siguero municipal sports hall. This is not to be recommended! Noisy from the late night football match taking place next door, cold and had to sleep on a mat. There was only one key to get in and out through the security fence and the girls had possession of that. I had to negotiate when I would be back to be let back in because there was no way of otherwise contacting them. There were hot showers.

I then bused to A Coruna and stayed at the Hostal on my way to Santiago.

I found the room poorish, the shared bathroom not very good, no hot water running to the bath, but let me say that I would rather stay there than the hall.

Well done tincress

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
I found the room poorish, the shared bathroom not very good, no hot water running to the bath, but let me say that I would rather stay there than the hall.
Well done tincress

When I stayed there, the rooms were quite plain, but clean and comfortable. The baths were also clean and I always had hot water.
It sounds as if they lack in consistency. However, my experience was fine both times.

daesdaemar said:
tincress said:

I must say my experience of the Hostal Miras was similar. The room was acceptable, apart from the light not working, nor was the light in the bathroom.. The woman "in charge" was decidedly surly - maybe she was just having a bad day, but I had the feeling that pilgrims were a PITA.
I wouldn't stay there again - I'd rather sleep out in the woods....
Or do the Hosp da Bruma - SdC stage in one go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I meant to ask - how was it using a pushchair? Did it become a 'pull' chair sometimes? Posting a photo of it would be good.
This question does come up - how to carry the load - so, was it quite a large pushchair? how did you get on with it?

Attachments

• spain 2011 066.jpg
    spain 2011 066.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,375
  • spain 2011 079.jpg
    spain 2011 079.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,375
  • spain 2011 102.jpg
    spain 2011 102.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,373

Attachments

• spain 2011 171.jpg
    spain 2011 171.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,363
  • spain 2011 172.jpg
    spain 2011 172.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,366
  • spain 2011 175.jpg
    spain 2011 175.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,366
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Br. David said:
I meant to ask - how was it using a pushchair? Did it become a 'pull' chair sometimes? Posting a photo of it would be good.
This question does come up - how to carry the load - so, was it quite a large pushchair? how did you get on with it?

Hi Br David. The pushchair was an all terrain type, and very robust. It steered like a pig, and gained its nick name "The Pig" or "El Cerdo". It was really tough to wrestle with over some sections. But however difficult it was at times - we had great benefit too, and we still preferred to use it, than to carry rucksacks on our backs. We had two punctures, but we had anticipated that and had spare inner tubes, so it was easily rectified. The load was very heavy (six stone perhaps) as we had camping equipment too, but after three days we found a lovely campsite (Green Village) at Betanzos, by the sea near Sada. We persuaded the owner to keep two bags for us until we had finished, then we took the bus back from S de C and stayed there for four days. I would still recommend it as a way to manage if carrying is difficult.
Thanks for your good wishes,
Tina

Tia Valeria said:
Well done both of you. Glad you made it and things went well.
Interested to know your route from Betanzos through Abegondo etc. to Meson do Vento. We thought of going that way but were strongly advised against it, so followed the CSJ guide which misses Abegondo.
Hope that it dried up for you in Santiago.
God bless,
Tia Valeria

Hi Tia Valeria, I would not recommend it either! We found ourselves in a difficult position, because the lovely purpose built Albergue in Presedo is closed, the nearest accommodation was in Abegondo another 4 k allegedly, to the poliportivo (felt like 10!). So exhausted, having walked 16k already that day, we had to go on. It was uphill, on a scorching day - along black tarmac road, so not funny at that point. Next day to rejoin the route was extra miles too, so a horrible detour. We both completely agreed with you about leaving Pontedueme, it was very hard. We learnt a very good lesson, which was, just one step at a time! We had small targets, like a patch of shade or a flower, and just made to that and stopped!
Thanks for your support
Tina

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
did the ci begining december stayed one night hostal miras basic but welcomeing. good food only person staying that night but solo for 5 days 15e only a night far from expensive

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back