• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are your 'Must See' sites/places on the Del Norte?

Yarrick

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte - Starting 27th July
Good Evening Ladies and Gents,

I am heading out to the Camino Del Norte tomorrow and have to say I appear to be 'winging it'. Little research has been done into the 'must see' routes, place and sounds of the trip!

So, if you have any favourite sites or places, please feel free to tell me so I can have a thoroughly awesome time on my first Camino!

Any help would be most welcome :D

Sincere regards,

Yarrick!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are into history:-
The cathedral in Santander has a glass floor section to view the ancient remains below.

The replica cave and museum at Altamira - Santillana del Mar.

The cave of Tito Bustillo - Ribadasella.

For these last 2 you will probably need a rest day to visit and you have to book at least the day before. Altamira - in branches of Santander bank (we booked in the big one facing the gardens in Santander). Tito Bustillo - ask at the tourist office or walk over the bridge turn left 50yds and ask at the mueum office.

Churches in general:- there are many beautiful churches to see and pray in, depending on whether they are open as you pass. The Cathedral at Oviedo and the Cámara Santa, if you are walking that way and then back up to the Norte.

The old parts of towns like Llanes.............
The coast views.........

Buen Camino

Where are you starting? I am just back from walking the Northern route and it was a fantastic trip.
A few highlights in no particular order were
1) Walking over the ridge the first day out of Irun,
2) staying at the monastery at Zennarruza
3) walking along the cliff tops when leaving Llanes
4) seeing close up the statue of the angel of comillas
5) The blow hole at the coast, I climbed down and stood over the vent, it blew my shirt over my head and I lost my hat, but the rush of air was truly exhilarating
6) staying at the alberge "La Sant Cruz" at Santa Cruz de Bezana. The hostess there truly is an angel.
7) Walking the beach routes wherever possible
8)The best part for me was the fun and camaraderie with the other pilgrims, i met some truly wonderful people, fell hopelessly in love with a pilgrim from Germany and made some very good friends,

Vaja con Dios! You'll have a ball.

Feel free to ask any questions if I can help I'm glad to
Malcolm, the Purple-toed tri-ped

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found the less you know the better.... explore the Camino and make it your own.! I did that on the Camino Portuguese.. no book, nothing and I had the most wonderful time. I am starting the Norte in September.. so will practice what I preach! Buen Camino

I only walked 100 miles of the Camino del Norte (It is MUCH more difficult & less well-supported), but I decided to stay extra days at both Guernika & Bilbao in order to see the very famous museums there (Peace Museum in Guernika & the Guggenheim in Bilbao)--definitely worth taking the time. I only went as far as Santander, but I loved both Santander & San Sebastian. If you want to see some photos, check out my blog at dustyscamino.blogspot.com. Have a great camino walk! :D :D

The previous post reminds me that the Capricho de Gaúdi is in Comillas. A walk in the park of the palacio will take you round past its exterior, or you can go round to the entrance and if you want to go in.

The yellow tiles are ceramic sunflowers

Attachments

• Gaudi 1.jpg
    Gaudi 1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 959
  • Gaudi 2.jpg
    Gaudi 2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 959
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am going to walk 10 days in September and try to make up my mind if I should walk CF again or walk the first part of CDF. How was it on del Norte now? Is it lonely or did you meet many other pilgrims as well. I don't mind being alone for a day or two, but I also really want to get that special Camino feeling and if it is just a lonely but beautiful walk along the coast I suppose it will not feel as special as the CF did (I walked CF summer 2006).

Anyone who knows where I can find a good map with stages of Camino Norte on the web? I find it a little bit difficult to find information about it.

Gronze have simple maps, distances and elevations, along with details of the albergues. (Text is in Spanish)

For anyone who also likes a printed guide:-
The CSJ guides have directions (English), but not maps.

The Cicerone guide to The Northern Caminos (English) has simple directions, small maps and other information.

I walked the Norte starting in mid May, and wasn't lonely at all. There are fewer pilgrims on this route,but the camaraderie among them seems to be stronger than the Frances. I met some lovely people with whom I walked and spent time with, several of whom I will remain life long friends. There is an English guide book which is very detailed, but I just used a very basic route map available from the tourist office. The hospitalaros in the alberges are usually very well informed and have detailed knowledge of the route ahead and where the next alberges are, it often boils down to a simple choice of walking eg 15km or 24km. The Germans all have detailed guide books, if in doubt, get one them to go over your options for the next day with you. During a very merry and drunken night in Santander several of us realized we would be too hung over the next day to make decisions, so we appointed a young Swiss woman to be our group leader, she did a great job of getting us out of the city and to the next alberge. The Norte is a great route, you will have a fantastic time.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Gronze is an excellent site with loads of information. Has a translate button for English, French and German.

Good Evening Ladies and Gents,

I am heading out to the Camino Del Norte tomorrow and have to say I appear to be 'winging it'. Little research has been done into the 'must see' routes, place and sounds of the trip!

So, if you have any favourite sites or places, please feel free to tell me so I can have a thoroughly awesome time on my first Camino!

Any help would be most welcome :D

Sincere regards,

Yarrick!
The place that really blew me away was the monastery at Sobrado. A fantastic night spent at the Albergue in the monastery. Then sharing vespers, evening prayers and mass with the monks in their own private chapel. A really magical experience and the scale of the building and its history really make it a must do on the Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
MKalcolm M, where was the blow hole (#5 on your list)?
Anne 100, the blow hole is between Colombres and Llanes, as we walked along, we saw people, several of whom were pilgrims sitting around a large rock formation and were curious as to why, then one of my fellow walkers said she had read about this blow hole in her guide book. If you are careful it is possible to climb into the opening and stand directly over the blast, but hold on tight! The rush of air appears irregularly.

If you stay at the monastery at Sobrado recommended by Hugh B in the thread above, make sure you go into the empty and disused church. The acoustics under the central dome are unbelievable. I only discovered this by chance, when my walking stick made a noise on the ground and it echoed and reverberated all through the building. Try standing there and singing a note. Imagining how the masses sung there in the past must have sounded was a deeply moving experience.

Gallery-goers might prefer the Bellas Artes in Bilbao to the Guggenheim. While the Gehry building is spectacular, its contents are international modern art which can be seen... well, anywhere. The Bellas Artes has a local of extraordinary local and Spanish work from the 1800s and 1900s, and much of it focuses on Basque images and themes. I am told (although I have not seen it and would be interested in other opinions) that the art centre in Aviles is an outstanding example of the cultural white elephants which have had an impact on provincial budgets.

The towns I liked best:
Pasai Donibane; Deba; Santillana del Mar; Villaviciosa; Luarca;
The the walk into Llanes (blow hole mentioned above) and the magnificent Steak restaurant in O Pedrouzo.

There are so many other fantastic memories - these just jump out at me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Agree with Poogeye about the towns, the cloister in Santillana is amazing, as are the caves. The albergue at Guemes is a brilliant experience (just before Santander) The first mountain - Mt Jezkibel is my favourite place ever! (sacred to the Basque people) Cudillero was stunning especially in the rain, Getaria unmissable , as was the Santona and St. Vincent de Barquera areas (awesome estuarine views) The scenery the whole way is so varied and interesting and beautiful, the food lush, the wine lusher, and the people friendly. (learn a bit o basque...) mmmm...

Gronze is an excellent site with loads of information. Has a translate button for English, French and German.
Hi Llew, Where do I find the translate button on Gronze site?

Hi Jodipup,
What I do is type in www.gronze.com. Site comes up - El Camino del Norte- Gronze.com. Right click on this. Box comes up with various headings, one of which is Translate with Bing. Click n this and site comes up in English. Hope it works for you. Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Be prepared for lots of steep hills and asphalt, but just reading about the many wonderful places along the way brings back wonderful memories. Tito Bustillo was wonderful beyond imagining for me. I felt so fortunate to see it. And Guemes and walking the beaches in bare feet. As always though, it was the people and pilgrims along the way which were the best. Kindness at every turn. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back