• Update 2: We should be back as normal now. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When does one stop walking the Camino

trevorcc

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPD to Santiago 2013,2014, Camino de Levante Sept. 2016, Frances March 2018, planning 2020
I am back home from my first Camino in Nov. 2013 and already preparing for my next in September 2014 and I do not think it will be my last, nobody told me that you are unable to stop...smiling, laughing, being more tolerant and yes yearning for the click clack of the early morning Peligrinos as they wander on their Way.
My name is Trevor from Australia if you see me please say hi and stop awhile for a chat and a vino and the end of the day. Do not be worried if I am talking to myself, it is either in prayer or talking to my friend who I take with me.
Do not be scared or have expectations just come and a walk soon you will not be going as much as following, peace to all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For Methodist Pilgrim, it was when he didn't wake up one morning. For others it might be when they are too infirm or do not have funds or have other commitments that require this sacrifice. For still others it is a once-in-a-lifetime-experience which they have no desire to repeat. Lots of reasons I guess;-)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Long may I be able to walk, but as age and time eventually do take their toll hopefully my personal memories will endure so that mentally I will continue to follow the path. Physically I may not be there, but sentimentally I will always wear a shell. ...

Margaret Meredith

its wonderful to hear from all at 65 i just wonder when i get to the coat do i turn around and walk to France

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wonderful to hear from pilgrims that they have no intention to stop doing what they like and enjoy.
Only physical problems or money problems, may stop them.

Buen Camino !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've absolutely NO idea.
I'm celebrating my 75th birthday on the Camino Ingles next month.
I shall certainly stop if both legs get amputated ;) [but I may keep going more slowly if it's only one....]

Hi Stephen,
You could go for carbon fibre or a much cheaper option.............castors.

old Pilgrims never die.............. in your case they are just wheeled away.

And I thought I was an Old _art at 71 but good on you, you have the biscuit. VDLP for me this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am back home from my first Camino in Nov. 2013 and already preparing for my next in September 2014 and I do not think it will be my last, nobody told me that you are unable to stop...smiling, laughing, being more tolerant and yes yearning for the click clack of the early morning Peligrinos as they wander on their Way.
My name is Trevor from Australia if you see me please say hi and stop awhile for a chat and a vino and the end of the day. Do not be worried if I am talking to myself, it is either in prayer or talking to my friend who I take with me.
Do not be scared or have expectations just come and a walk soon you will not be going as much as following, peace to all.

Nice - I will arrive at Madrid on Sep 28th, go to St Jean by car and bus and start my walk along with my son on Sep 29th. .... Buen Camino!!! Hope we can meet there.

Well, this past weekend I had a stent put in the LAD, otherwise known as the "Widowmaker!" Having walked the Camino last year at 82 I suspect walking in and of itself was one of the reasons I avoided a catastrophe on Friday. I still may try it again but if and when you physically stop or however far you go just depends on your passion to do it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, this past weekend I had a stent put in the LAD, otherwise known as the "Widowmaker!" Having walked the Camino last year at 82 I suspect walking in and of itself was one of the reasons I avoided a catastrophe on Friday. I still may try it again but if and when you physically stop or however far you go just depends on your passion to do it.
So true I hope you feel beter and you do get another chance.

Hi Stephen,
You could go for carbon fibre or a much cheaper option.............castors.

OLD PILGRIMS NEVER DIE........................................ in your case they are just wheeled away.

And I thought I was an OLD _ART at 71 but good on you, you have the biscuit. VDLP for me this year.
Hi Stephen love your attitude I think it all those years we have our nose to the grind stone for the family its when we can stop to the smell the roses we are old farts, but our hearts are young.

I've absolutely NO idea.
I'm celebrating my 75th birthday on the Camino Ingles next month.
I shall certainly stop if both legs get amputated ;) [but I may keep going more slowly if it's only one....]
Happy Birthday and slow is good more time to meet nice people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having started the Camino with Trevor last September, I can vouch that this pilgrim is one mighty awesome pilgrim. You can count on him for laughs, prayers, good conversation, and a helping hand, whenever needed. Glad you're going back, mate. Buen Camino to you.

I felt sooo done and finished when I reached Santiago. Camino friends wanted me to go on to the sea but I had no desire. I was done, and wanted to get back to my family. I felt as if I was done traveling for a while. You can go wide, or you can go deep. Camino was a wide journey, and when it was done, I had gotten what I needed to then go deep: return deep into the heart of my family, back into places I had been afraid, or too confused to go before I left, back into places that needed the strength and commitment I'd regained on Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met an 83 year old Texan in the cafe in Finisterra. His wife was much younger. Don't know if that is the answer to being able to carry on walking, but I am prepared to give it a try! :)
Don't be tempted, Al. It's not worth the gamble ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met an 83 year old Texan in the cafe in Finisterra. His wife was much younger. Don't know if that is the answer to being able to carry on walking, but I am prepared to give it a try! :)

Hi Al,
Stephen is not at all tempted, but you can put me down for one and I'll have his as well.

Perhaps we should form another thread with volunteers for this experiment? In the true spirit of leadership I would not ask anyone to volunteer for a risky undertaking without setting an example and leading from the front. So consider me signed up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For Methodist Pilgrim, it was when he didn't wake up one morning. For others it might be when they are too infirm or do not have funds or have other commitments that require this sacrifice. For still others it is a once-in-a-lifetime-experience which they have no desire to repeat. Lots of reasons I guess;-)

Many of us contributed to plant a memorial tree and obtain an engraved plaque commemorating the late Rev. Philip John Wren (aka "methodistPilgrim98"). Rebekah Scott, who lives at Moratinos kindly sorted everything and the tree is planted. Also, I gather the plaque is around somewhere. She posted an hilarious but respectful accounting of the tree planting on her blog (here comes the plug): http://www.moratinoslife.blogspot.com/ The posting is titled "A Tree for Philip Wren."

You should know that Rebekah is a professional and published writer, so she can certainly create a scene with words. I laughed for an hour when I read her account. I invite everyone else to have a look too. It will make your day and restore your faith in the weirdness of the ways St. James works...The Camino DOES provide.

I hope to finally meet Rebekah, her clearly patient and ever-so understanding husband Paddy and their menagerie, in mid May. I start from St. Jean on 27 April.

As to the question posed in this post, I would opine that once the "Camino Bug" gets you, you do not stop your Camino until they screw your coffin lid down... Even when you are not actually walking a Camino, you are thinking of it. You either relive it in your mind, or you are planning for your next hoped for pilgrimage. It occupies you conscious mind when you are not engaged in something else requiring brain power. I find myself mentally packing my rucksack...go figure.

I must suppose that there are some people who do a Camino and are NOT especially moved by the experience. But I can say I have not met said person yet. If you DO know of someone who HAS walked a Camino and takes the attitude "meh..." about the experience, I respectfully suggest they were not paying attention the first time. So, they should do it again.

In fact, doing it again is the only effective treatment for "Caminoitis." My plan is to continue to try to do at least one per year as long as health and finances allow, and provided that "she who must be obeyed" gives me the time off for good behavior. I really do try. So far, so good.

So, in short, it ain't over until the winged lady sings...the angels...hopefully greeting you after a life well lived.

Philip Wren certainly deserved that accolade. I only knew him for about a week, but knowing him made a HUGE impression on me. AND I know Rebekah will swear he interceded on her behalf when all else seemed to go against her during the famous (infamous) memorial tree planting incident. Read the tree planting account.

Might I respectfully suggest saying "meh" is not necessarily the only reason to not repeat a camino. I know I am going back for a second, and while it may not be my last I know I have many other trails that I really want to walk in my lifetime. There just may not be time to get back to Spain - I hear Hungary, the Iron Curtain Trail and South America calling. I have also plotted a route in Laos where there is no official anything. Then there's Turkey and Israel if the political situation settles a bit......

I recall one poster a year or so ago saying he had a great time but once was enough for him - unfortunately he did not receive such a warm welcome. Everyone has different desires - not wanting to do it again does not automatically mean it was not a grand experience the first time or that they didn't do it "properly" (whatever that might mean)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh, come ON Keith John.
Please admit that at our age we could barely manage one, let alone TWO! :rolleyes:

stephen,
please please your two is shouting can you tone it down.
" better to do something once or even twice than talk about it a thousand times " old welsh proverb "
anyhow if I am going to go what better than in full view of everybody in the centre of the santiago cathedral square with a smile on my face.

Having started the Camino with Trevor last September, I can vouch that this pilgrim is one mighty awesome pilgrim. You can count on him for laughs, prayers, good conversation, and a helping hand, whenever needed. Glad you're going back, mate. Buen Camino to you.
Ta Maggie like the Camino your words humble me.
Trevor

But the man IS from Texas, and 83 there is equal to about 50 everywhere else (ask any born and bred Texan) . . . And, at risk of being indelicate and completely sidetracking the OP, he can buy those little blue pills over the counter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But the man IS from Texas, and 83 there is equal to about 50 everywhere else (ask any born and bred Texan) . . . And, at risk of being indelicate and completely sidetracking the OP, he can buy those little blue pills over the counter.

I have heard that these the little blue pills can prevent old men falling out of the top bunk. Oil bet the texan would land on his feet.

Last edited:
I will be out there on my first Camino starting from SJPP on September 16. See you on the trail

I have heard that these the little blue pills can prevent old men falling out of the top bunk. Oil bet they would land on their feet.
That would come in handy for inebriated younger men as well. Twice we had twenty-somethings who had far too good a time with the Spanish wines and then subsequently fell out of the top bunk. Thankfully, no lasting harm caused for them, but great object lessons for my 15 year old son based on his firsthand observation.

I wonder if Pfizer will ever use "safer intoxication while on pilgrimage" as a reason to extend their patents . . .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is my first post and I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments. It helps to know that there are others out there who just can't help themselves no matter their age. A simple mention of the Camino de Santiago on an obscure TV program snapped me to attention just before my 65th birthday and I have been planning to walk all the Caminos de Santiago ever since. I walked the Camino Frances in 2012 and will be walking the Camino del Norte in June 2014. Here's a question for those who have walked the northern caminos: Primitivo or del Norte into Santiago? Would appreciate any insights. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back