• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you have a good Menu del Dia on the Camino Frances

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
In September last year I slept at the Albergue San Miguel in Estella. There was restrictive use of the Kitchen allowed so many pilgrims ate out - not one person was happy with what they had had.
Now I am not expecting a pricey 5 star meal but it would be nice to hear of where pilgims had an enjoyable meal?

I can kick of by suggesting in Pamplona , the Menu at the Cafe Iruna and then also a real good meal can be had at Los Arcos - The Menson Gargantua.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Renshaw,

In Estella on the same street and just a few doors further west as the municipal albergue the restaurant/bar La Aljama, la Rua 6. VERY good food and wine on the menu de dia plus a happy mix of locals at lunch. Pilgrim friendly with a nice small outdoor dining area in the back for summer. I have eaten here on each camino, always with pleasure and gusto! Atmosphere similar to that in Soho. NYC, 50 years ago.

In Los Arcos another good menu de dia is that of the restaurant/bar Mavi near the bus station at Carretera La Serna 2. It is a simple place and filled at lunch with workers which is always a good sign. Servings are copious and a good value for money. They also rent rooms which can be handy in winter when many Los Arcos albergues are closed.

Margaret Meredith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Albergue Cuatro Cantones in Belorado, run by lovely people, Top class meal and great service. Gave this a five star in the Albergue rating page.

Pieces said:
after several disasters i resorted to a la carte for the remainder

the answer must then be nowhere...

No, there must be some great places Fishy , sure we will find some more? :mrgreen:

Villafranca, I stayed in the albergue above the hotel, the the hotel provided a menu del dia for pilgrims, it was a bit more pricy than most places @ 12 euro but it was restaurant quality with restaurant service, and the wine was a good quality labeled bottle.
It was a great place to stay, they even provided baby soaps in the bathroom.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No doubt in my mind here:

Villafranca Montes de Oca - Albergue and Hotel San Anton Abad. A true taster menu, wine included (13 euro in 2011) with three selections for each course. (Must admit I stayed an extra night at the hotel - their to-die-for breakfast and evening menu kind of influenced my choice :oops: ).

In Astorga (at the hotel Gaudi, just opposite the cathedral and Gaudi museum) I had an equally lovely menu, wine included (12 euros at the time - but this was with a coupon they give you if staying in the San Javier Albergue just around the corner - probably a few euros more if you do not have the coupon.) Very stylish and classy dining room - where we scruffy pilgrims mingled with the very well dressed local bourgeoisie - but no eyebrows raised.

Well, I guess you got me started now! - Sorry for droning on but this brings happy memories back!

Navarette: Had a lovely pilgrim meal in an old hotel (believe it was Rey Sancho - not sure), but if you stand on the small square in front of the church, turn left and walk through a kind of covered arcade into the hotel. - 15 euros but worth it. I talked with some pilgrims the day afterwards who said that they had paid 11 euros for a miserable meal half of which they were not able to eat. Then 11 euros is expensive and 15 euros cheap.

La Curiosa, Mansilla de las Mulas. Really stunning food, good wine, and a digestif for the Camino. Quite modernist bar, the comedor is upstairs and Spanish smart but on my visit they were very pilgrim friendly.

Buen comer

ffp13 said:
it was a bit more pricy than most places @ 12 euro but it was restaurant quality with restaurant service, and the wine was a good quality labeled bottle.

Frank , I think time has moved on and €12 is about the average nowdays - but a good meal at that price is good value. :wink:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One key to eating well on the camino is to NOT ask for the pilgrim meal. Ask for the Menu del Dia! It sometimes costs a couple of Euros more but the difference in quality is remarkable.
If there´s too much food in a Menu for you, ask if they serve "platos combinados." For about 6 euro you will get a filling meal.

That said, I echo the sentiments of Tinka above: La Curiosa in Mansilla is tip-top, a great value for money at a family-run enterprise.

If you like pizza or pasta, get a lunchtime Menu at Pizzeria La Competencia in Leon (or Oviedo if you´re on the Norte). A big salad, a nice pizza pie or lasagna, dessert, and drinks, too... 10 euro!

And if I may put in a plug for the neighbors, La Bodega Castillo de Moratinos, a new restaurant here in my town, offers a fine 10-euro Menu with roast meats or grilled fish -- the dining room is underground, in the biggest of our emblematic "hobbit house" wine caves.

Reb.

For me the pilgrims menu del dia is the last option, 1st preference is a communal dinner, and 2nd is self made from from fresh local ingredients.
I must admit after over a month on the Camino I don't want to see tuna, pasta, hard white bread, and especially oily fries again for some time, and the giant octopus never ever again.
I enjoy the paella I just wish the baby shrimps were peeled

Perhaps starched napkins would make the experience more palatable,too?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
to get off the subject, for the a la carte menu.

the best of the bests that i have ever had was at the end of the camino frances in finisterre. at the local restaurant where there are no tourists and frequented by the locals and off the main road. this is the los tres golpes, the very best of paella pescado y marisco chased down by a good bottle of ribeiro. the owner and the best chef, dona dolores, an unforgetable experience. only discovered this place by accident. this is a seafood restaurant. if you order paella, be prepare to wait close to an hour, as it take that much time to prepare fresh paella from scratch.

Attachments

• IMG_0221 resize.jpg
    IMG_0221 resize.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 4,775
Rebekah Scott said:
And if I may put in a plug for the neighbors, La Bodega Castillo de Moratinos, a new restaurant here in my town, offers a fine 10-euro Menu with roast meats or grilled fish -- the dining room is underground, in the biggest of our emblematic "hobbit house" wine caves.

Yes , the eigth wonder of the World!? Next time Reb , I am taking the Chief Dog Walker and yourself. :D

Hidden one road up from the Camino and almost a little intimidating from the outside but all are most welcome and to see the Bodegas you only have to ask - something you'll remeber for a lifetime!

In Santo Domingo de la Calzada last year I left the main pilgrim walk-through street to find the bus station. On my way back I noticed a restaurant and went in there to see about getting lunch. It was full of locals and I was the only 'foreigner' the whole time I was in there. The meal they served was delicious- and it had proper napkins, and a proper tablecloth- and the service was wonderful. From memory I think I paid about 12 Euro, so slightly more than for a 'pilgrim' meal. I can't remember the name of the place. However, I imagine many places along the Camino Frances have similarly wonderful gems- but they may well be on streets we don't tend to walk along as pilgrims. Eating there was a treat I really enjoyed.
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They are not exactly 10 Euros pilgrim fare but two of the best meals I had were in Cacabelos at Comida la Moncloa where I had a local goat cheese with 3 pepper sauces along with a wood fire roasted leg of lamb and a fine bottle of the local Ribera for around 30 Euros. The second place was in Mercadoira at a hostel/restaurant stop just before Portomarin with a fabulous meal of the day served communal style for around 20 Euros with included appertifs, wine and brandy. It sure beats a night of a watery Caldo Gallego for 10 Euros staring you in the face.

biarritzdon said:
local goat cheese with 3 pepper sauces along with a wood fire roasted leg of lamb and a fine bottle of the local Ribera

Wow Don! You have class mate! Comida la Moncloa here I come! :mrgreen:

My favourite was at the albergue of Hospital San Bruno. I had the most fantastic pasta meal, with a type of pasta that I'd never seen before coupled with an out of this world sauce, and then a big tiramisu. It was such a memorable meal, but that night I was the only pilgrim there who opted for the dinner, so there was just the three of us to eat it all

My favorite was in Hornillos del Camino. Just across the street from the albergue municipal is a small restaurant run by three sisters. Their restaurant is very small and serves dinner n two sittings in order to accommodate everyone. The second sitting is fun, there are usually fewer diners better attention and since they do not keep food from day to day the servings may be surprising. I ordered my favorite albóndigas and received a plate of about 40 meatballs!
One should remember as well, two quick glasses of wine will make most food taste much better, a hefty glass of aguardiente –Spanish firewater-after dinner and you may not remember the food at all.

Agree - the ubiquitous pilgrim meal - what is that thin meat? Where do they get those pale undercooked chips (fries)?

Best yet for me - CastroJeriz, first refugio going in to town - and also a campsite.
'Camping Camino de Santiago" Tel: 947 377 255 (http://www.campingcamino.com)
They have a pool room, launderette, great clean showers etc as well as a bar/restaurant.
If you need to stay over more than one night that is fine with them.

It is owned by mother, father and son. Mum does all the cooking and she is an excellent cook, so real home-cooked food. Pilgrim meal is 10€ for three courses and each course has three selections.
You can also have a huge freshly made Paella too (to die for!).

House red is pretty fine too! :wink:

Buen Camino

Albergue Nuestra Señora de Carrasquedo near Grañon, walking a quiet detour from Santo Domingo to Grañon it is just on the way. Don't remember the exact price, but it was very reasonable and a lot of locals eating there also. Highly recommended, SY

€60,-
Actually, this wasn't a menu, it was a plate of food- but it was the one I was most grateful for on my whole last Camino.

It was the day I walked from Triacastela to Samos to Sarria. I had one of those thin Michelin guide books this time- very light- but surprisingly, with a few errors in it. For the day via Samos it showed a 10km + 11km journey, both sectors following the highway. I wasn't too rapt about so much highway walking, but I really wanted to see Samos this time.

I decided to get up early leaving Tricastela to avoid having too much traffic on the road. But after about 3km I discovered that the Camino route went off the main road and followed a wonderful path through forest and farm and villages. At Samos I was a bit early for the Monastery tour so ordered a breakfast, but somehow they mucked up my order and forgot me, so I never ate.

After the tour it was nearly lunchtime, but given my breakfast experience, I decided to walk to Sarria, thinking it was about 11km via road. Bit of a mistake as I never had much water with me, only a bit of fruit, and it turned out to be a 16km journey via a wondrous, seldom used route. (Michelin wrong again!)

By the time I rejoined the main route for Sarria that had come from Triacastela, there was 4km left to walk, and I was both hungry and thirsty. Suddenly I came upon this cafe, and ordered a potato omelet.

And here is what I blogged about the meal at the time:
"And then I came to a bar with some angels running it. Had a cold drink then potato omelet done the real way in the kitchen, and served hot by the elderly lady who cooked and served it with a gracious smile. My angel for today."

I think this was the best meal I had on the whole Camino- served with incredible love and pride by an elderly lady.

Attachments

• omelet.jpg
    omelet.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 5,210
Because I really didn't like (and also got fed up with) those platos combinados and most of the menu peregrino (or del dia) I was mostly more of a picnic pilgrim. With simple course of bread (especially the black bread in Galicia), choriso and queso. But I remember a few of really tasty if not extraordinary meals on my Camino in 2011:
- all sorts of tapas on Calle Laurel in Logrono: really sooo tasty and special, tried about a dozen of them in different bars (was guided by an Englishmen that lives there for years) and apart of the crowd that evening was one of my best on the Camino,
- at Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de la Rioja: communal dinner in company of mentioned couple and another lady pilgrim. They served some kind of local soup with beans which name I forgot and the main course was grilled pork meat with rice. Reminded me of home :)
- the only restaurant in Fonfria: I skiped the communal dinner in albergue and went for the a la carte dinner. I was so tired I even forgot what exactly I've had eaten that evening (most probably something with meat included) but it was oh so good. As I remember the two of us paid (1,5l of vino tinto incl.) for three courses 28€,
- Pulperia Exequiel in Melide: since I come from a country which is very connected to medieterranean cousine I had to try it. And it was so simple, so tasty, so ... perfect. Me and my companion tried also the shrimps, sea shells etc, 7 portions altogether and 3l of wine so that must be the reason I forgot the price :roll: . But wasn't expensive for the quality and atmosphere that's for sure! On this link: http://vimeo.com/42530916 (time code is 06:50) you can see the interior of the place and the atmosphere.
- unknown restaurant in Corcubion: I really can't recall the name of the place, but it was somewhere near (or opposite of it) Farmacia Sanchez Bana on the waterfront side of Avenida Vina. Actually just before the major curve for 90 degrees if you go in the direction of Cee. Close by is also Oficina del turismo. The restaurant is quite simple, with wooden interior, they also serve food outside and the service is very good. The cost for two was about 42 € (1,5l of wine incl.) and we ate scallop shells, plate with three different sorts of fish, side dishes and salads. Quite a treat!

Ultreia!

Teodora's in Arzua, one of the best meals I had in Spain. I had the ribs and the meat was so tender it slipped off the bone. And it was very tasty. My wife had the Merluza And the Caldo Gallego and They were equally good.

And I hear the place was even better when the current Chef's mother used to run the kitchen :)

Like the comments, don't ask ala Carte, ask for the daily menu.

You get Soup or Salad, a main dish, desert, Water/Wine/Beer/Soft Drink plus a basket of bread.

I think we paid 10 Euros for each meal, a bargain anywhere else for the quality and taste.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
On my first Camino, a Spanish businessman thoughtfully instructed me on the difference between the menu de peregrine and the menu de dia, and I carefully followed his suggestion along the way. The 3-6 euro difference in price meant the world--- between cafeteria food, and a decent home-cooked meal and, on occasion, a superlative one. Mid-day meals at hotel restaurants are often a very good deal - I recall the Gaudi in Astorga (as mentioned above) and the Alfonso IX in Sarria as being excellent, with the scruffy pilgrim accorded the same treatment as anyone in a tailored suit at the next table.

Other posters have given the advice of seeing if there were local workers eating there, and of checking out places on side streets; this is excellent counsel and, not only does one eat well, one enjoys a warm reception from staff and customers. Even on the hectic Francese, you'll often get the handshake, pat on the shoulder, or greeting as people leave and enter.

One of my favourite memories is from the bar in Las Salas on the Vadiniense, when I ordered trout off the menu and, after some lively discussion behind the counter, the owner's son was packed off with a rod to catch my segunda plata for me, or my first-ever succesful joke in Castilian on a restaurant by the bridge near the Concepcion convent in Villafranca, and munching on home-made embutidos in Belorado while helping the cook's kids with their English homework. Another Spanish friend once reminded me that, in Spain, life happens around the table.

Off route but on topic, and following oursonpolaire, I recall with everlasting affection a little Fonda, (the Remona? I can't find my notebook) at Espinama in the Picos de Europa. The señora apologised as I settled at the table because at the season of the year there was only food from the valley. I ate salad from her garden, rabbit from the hills, cheese from one neighbour with honey from another. The bread was dark and chewy and slightly winey from its sourdough origins. The wine wasn't from the valley but the orujo was. I tried to explain how wonderful it was to eat so well and of such local sources. I am sure she was unconvinced. "in the summer the visitors always want things we cannot grow or make".

Deportivo on the main square in Navarette serves a wonderful stuffed squid floating in it's own ink for 12 euros and it was one of the best meals I had on the Camino. The front is a Tapas Bar and the restaurant is in the back.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Burgos. The restaurant just down the way from albergue La Casa del Cabo Lerma that advertises pilgrim menus. They had the local blood pudding. It was a real restaurant dinner marketed as a pilgrim menu. Delicious!

No bout adoubt it.
If you are a Blood (Black) pudding lover, then Burgos and the surrounding area is heaven. Five nights in a row I had it as main course for dinner.

Regds
Gerard

Mmmmmmm, morcillas, very good :lol:
It's a must in this region!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
David said:
:idea: If we put all these great places into a sequential list we could have an Ivar Ronay 3 star guide for pilgrims to download!!!
just a thought ......
Great minds think alike Brother. :D

This topic worries me: I don't eat seafood, and too many carbs do nasty things to my gut.
We spent a few weeks in Madrid two years ago and there were next to no salads available in the local (non-touristy) restaurants, nor veggies other than potatoes. I gained 10 bloated pounds in about 2 weeks and felt miserable physically, despite at least 4 hours walking each day and 40-degree heat (which I enjoy but makes me sweat like crazy)
I'm not at all looking forward to figuring out food on the camino. I suspect I will be carrying a lot of fruit and veggies on my back.
Spain is the only country I have ever visited--and I have visited a few, and eaten robustly and enthusiastically on 4 continents--where I intensely disliked the food, except for the olives.
Sorry if it's TMI, but I'm concerned about being able to walk with an explosive gut reacting to the regular restaurants, let alone pilgrim's menus.

Packinglight said:
I'm not at all looking forward to figuring out food on the camino. I suspect I will be carrying a lot of fruit and veggies on my back. ...
There is an easy solution to this: Shop locally and cook for yourself and your fellow pilgrims ;-) Buen Camino! SY

I just had the most delicious menu del dia at a casa rural called Amanecer en Campos in Poblacion de Campos. The best garlic soup so far on the Camino, followed by a delightful salad, followed by homemade meatballs with lots of vegetables, followed by a desert that seemed to be a cross between flan and some sort of ricotta cheese dessert. All with wonderful red wine. Price - 9 euros. I am staying at this casa rural and can recommend the place highly, attractive rooms with ensuite bathrooms, 20 euros a night, nice garden in back. You can use the owner's washing machine. She is a jewel.

I am trying to stay between the Brierley stages and sometimes you really find great little gems like this one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last night we had he best menu del dia dinner of our Camino at the Hostel Albany restaurant in Leon, right by the cathedral. I had gazpacho and pork in a cheese sauce that was heavenly and my friend had a real steak! Still got fries but they were home made.

Biggest problem was we were so stuffed and had to run through Leon to get to the albergue before 9:30 when they closed the doors.

Packing light: I'm allergic to wheat and have many other food issues and I'm doing fine. The locals look at you funny sometimes when you say no pan (bread) but the tortillas are great. Made from eggs and potatoes. When an albergue has only starch for breakfast I go to a bar and order there. Never gone hungry yet and half done. :grin:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
6 days in so I've only gotten as far as Santo Domingo de Calzada but the meal provided in the albergue in Cirauqui will take some beating.
PS: rained heavily until noon 5 days out of 6 so far and cold too, good gloves and fleece hat worth packing by anyone setting off in next week.
Buen Camino
Seamus

Memorable meals-- Hostal Gau Txorri in Zubiri-- worth walking to this restaurant for an amazing Paella and veal cutlets.

I had the best Grilled Chicken sandwich I ever had in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Close to the albergue at the main square. The service was ornery, the sandwich made it all well worth it.

Meson Los Herreros in Burgos-- fresh food, cheesecake to die for and service with a kind smile.

The A Santiago Albergue in Belorado had the hardest working crew I saw in any albergue. Everything was clean and in order; the food was fantastic, too.

As a foodie, this thread is making me even more excited about the Camino! I am hoping to have time to put these places in geographical order and then load them in a pdf file onto my Kindle. :D

Yum!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No where!!
I have not had pasta since my Camino in March-April 2012. Now I REALLY REALLY do not like wine. But when you figure out a glass of house wine is cheaper than a can of Coke, Woo-Hoo, it's on!!

A few vegetarian additions to the list:

The dinner served at Albergue San Antonio de Padua in Villar de Mazarife is quite good: A real salad with mixed greens and honey mustard dressing, pumpkin soup, veg paella, and crepe with chocolate sauce for dessert, all beautifully plated like at a proper restaurant.

The shared meal at Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo was fantastic, as was the albergue. Different every night.

The pilgrim menu at Pension El Puente Peregrino in Trabadelo...everything that comes out of their kitchen is delicious! Trout available for the non-veg folks. Don't miss the chocolate brownies...

Note: these are all pilgrim dinners, not daytime meals.

Eating out in restaurants, I really like La Tagliatelle in Pamplona and Leon, La Compentencia in Leon and Ponferrada, and Gaia in Burgos (vegan).

Bon apetit! Buen provecho!

Packinglight should not be that worried. Either, as is suggested, s/he can buy veggetables locally and cook at the albergue--- most have kitchens-- or would be able to find veggie alternatives with the menu de dia (it was not clear if Packinglight eats meat, which would make things much easier). On one camino, I spent a great deal of time with a German pilgrim with digestive Issues, and she was always able to find something on the menu in restaurants, although on occasion it meant going a la carte. I must admit that I found the vegetables to be excellent, although one always had to get beyond waiters' initial shock that this is what one wished to eat.

Hi from Sarria...

Today I had a fantastic Menu del Dia at the Italian restaurant near Albergue Don Alvaro in Sarria.

It's called Matias Loconda Italiana, and the 10 euro menu was delicious. They also serve all the standard Italian fare...I just might be back there for dinner!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Because I'm without a decent (payed) job at the moment I can volunteer for organizing the topic in a separate file.

If someone is already doing this please let me know :wink:

KinkyOne,

So far I haven't had time to do this. If you have time, that would be really cool!

Rob

I've already started :D

Because already few of us mentioned some different kind of meals apart of Menu del dia I think that those could be put in the chart as well. I'll try to add exact address and other contact info like telephone number and/or E-mail, accomodation if available, general type of food cooked there (seafood, Italian, vegan etc.)...

It would be very helpful if future posters would add the name of the restaurant/bar etc., month and year of the experience, type of meal (menu del dia/peregrino, donativo or communal in albergue, a la carte,...) and the price of their meal of course with all the usual observations. I can find all other info on the internet I guess.

Also it could be very convenient if some past posters would PM me with some additional information (scruffy1 - Hornillos del Camino, KiwiNomad06 - before Sarria, Sarahk - Burgos, supersullivan - Cirauqui).

Would it be sufficient to post the updated list on monthly basis? What do you think?

Ultreia!

the best one had was 10E at Ultreia albergue in Arzua..near santiago..the waffles were to die for!.considered staying another night just for the food! lol

KinkyOne said:
I've already started :D Would it be sufficient to post the updated list on monthly basis? What do you think?

The easy part was starting the thread , indeed with the idea of compiling such list. I will be overjoyed if someone like youself volunteered to maintain the hard work involved. :D

Thanks, Oursonpolaire!
I am feeling more comfortable about the food having read this thread. I do eat meat, so between meat and veggies and fruit I should be fine. I can tolerate a small amount of grains daily but over a certain amount I have unpleasant digestive issues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all!

I'm compiling the list with (good) cuisine experiences on the Camino Frances and hereby inviting all you past and former hikers again to add your own comments.

Thank you!

Ultreia!

Monte de Gozo ,

Restaurant Sousa , back in the village down on the main road, about a 12 minute walk from the Albergue 4 courses 8 euro if you show your credential ! Great bottle of wine (not decanted from a 20Ltr drum) desert is made on the premises not a supermarket yogurt. I have dined there with a group on various occasions s and the majority of the group said it was their best Camino menu del dia,

The best meal we had at an albergue was in San Mamud del Camino, just before Sarria. I think the albergue is called Paloma y Lena. They served a vegetarian meal of salad and quiches. Everything made there. Not a French fry in sight.

Another good meal in Ponfria. Lovely soup followed by a meat stew with rice.

There is a very small albergue in Vilacha which had a volunteer couple from South Africa when we passed through. I don't think they are still there but she loved to cook and we had pimientos pardon, followed by cottage pie, followed by a really tasty bread pudding.

I am not a foodie, but I have to say that the menus del dia that I just ate on the Camino de Levante from Valencia were heads and shoulders above any menu I've had on the frances. Never more than 10 euros. So if you're looking for good food, my suggestion would be to go to a less traveled camino like the Levante, Salvador, Invierno.

I think it's an inevitable consequence of having such huge numbers on the Frances. I am reminded of my experience in Rome, where the only bad meal I ever had was in a place across the street from the Coliseum -- duh.

Well, I am a foodie and agree that it is worthwhile to add the few extra euros to upgrade to a Menu de Dia. In general, the only item that truly surprised me was the French fries. Somehow, I just didn't expect that. There was enough choice to pick from, and when it came to the secondo, I rotated between pork, chicken and fish and the odd lamb. I never gave the beef a try, because it did look like shoe leather.

UNTIL Acebo at La Casa Peregrino, the first Bar on your right as you walk into town. That evening, we dined! Whoever was in the kitchen that evening, I would have hired immediately for any top notch restaurant. I asked the owner what he would suggest and he said, beef. And he was correct, perfectly grilled to a lovely pink, thinly sliced, melt in your mouth, beef, fresh vegetable, and not a French fry in sight. I can't find my notes right now for the rest of the menu, but it was memorable.

The other one was in Molinaseca the following evening at Taberba del Senor Pepe. I had a fresh river trout grilled, lightly seasoned to perfection, stuffed with a slice of cured ham, again local fresh vegetables, and no French fries. Delicious.

Orietta's beautiful spread in Viloria de Rioja, Morcilla in Burgos and in Leon (happened to be in Leon during the Morcilla festival), loved pulpo in Melide and all the Tapas and pinxos along the way whenever possible.

Castrojeriz, the bar that Hape Kerkeling, great Menu de Dia, but I also spend some time at the bar during siesta time, and was treated to a wine and cheese tasting by the young owner, very proudly serving his home made goatcheeses.

The best "pilgrims" meal I shared in Santo Domingo de Calzada , I stayed with the nuns. I decided that day to shop and cook myself and to share. So I did, I set the long table and proceeded to cook and put out the food, and sat down to eat. As pilgrims filed in, I invited them, the first ones were not sure, because they too had bought food to make, so I said, cook it and share it. Pretty soon the table was full of a wonderful selection of food and happy pilgrims sharing, laughing and toasting each other and telling stories. I don't think, that the diners at the local Parador had as much fun and tasty food.

So, I think, like with many other things on the Camino, Food is what you make of it. Many days, I was happy with just a can of tuna, olives, tomatoe, bread, some sheeps cheese, cecina or jamon, figs and a beer.

Buen provecho, Ingrid

Well, here's a shout for Hostal Miras at Sigueiro - OK , on the Camino Ingles but maybe we can include it. It wasn't especially the Menu del Dia, just "Today's Special" (same thing?)
BUT, it was far and away the best steak I've ever had,anywhere,with (of course) chips, and a nice salad. Plus choice of desserts, a whole bottle of very nice vino tinto, coffee and Arujo. 12euros.
Beat that. :D Very pleasant waitresses, in fact a really good eating experience, worth walking 100kms from Ferrol......(good sign, I was the only "foreigner", everyone else dining was local, with their families)

I would also agree that getting away from the restaurants that serve "menu del peregrino" is likely to result in a much better meal. The "menu del dia" is not a camino phenomenon, it's everywhere in Spain. I think it's a holdover from Franco days, when there was a decree that restaurants serve a complete meal at lunchtime/main meal for a reasonably moderate price. Many, but not all, restaurants continue that practice today. Originally, the menu could only be ordered at lunchtime, but in my most recent camino from Valencia, I saw a number of them that were making the menu available for dinner/cena as well.

One of my favorite menus del dia on the Camino frances is at the Restaurant Basseri http://www.restaurantebaserri.com/ in Pamplona. It's located right across the street from the Hostal Bearan, very close to the main square, where I've stayed a number of times when on my way up to Roncesvalles/SJPP. The restaurant is at the far back of the bar area, and it has several different "upgrade" possibilities from their basic menu. For a few euros more,you can get a special cut of meat or some other little perk, or a better wine. This place has great tapas in the front as well, but if you want a full meal go to the restaurant and you will not regret it.

Thanks for your most welcome responses. I might start to collect the cuisine experiences from other Camino's too :D

I must get in touch with Ivar which is the best way and form to put this compilation on-line.

Buen provecho!

Yes dhansan it is called "Paloma y Lena". I agree that the lentil soup was excellent. I am not a vegetarian but I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. It is a lovely place and the owner family were absolutely great with very good English. A post Camino email to them soliciting the recipe resulted in an appreciative email in return with the recipe. I must mention that this correspondence was in Spanish though and by a friend I met there and walked to Santiago with. For me it will be a must visit if (if? :wink: ) I walk that way again.

Here is the list of the places mentioned on this thread, in order heading west from Zubiri to Santiago:

Best Meal that’s NOT a ‘Menú del Peregrino’
Zubiri, Hostal Gau Txorri
Pamplona, Menu at Cafe Iruña, Plaza del Castillo
Pamplona, Restaurant Basseri
Pamplona, Retaurante Sarasate (vegetarian)
Estella, restaurant/bar La Aljama
Los Arcos, the Meson Gargantua
Villafranca Montes de Oca, restaurant at Hotel San Anton Abad
Burgos, Meson Los Herreros
Población de Campos, Casa Rural Amanecer en Campos
Moratinos, La Bodega Castillo de Moratinos
Mansilla de las Mulas, La Curiosa
León, Hostel Albany Restaurant
Astorga, at Hotel Gaudi
El Acebo, La Casa Peregrino
Molinaseca, Taberba del Senor Pepe
Cacabelos, Comida la Moncloa
Sarria, Alfonso IX
Sarria, Matias Loconda Italiana
Mercadoira, at a hostel/restaurant
Melide, Pulperia Exequiel in
Arzua, Teodora's
Monte de Gozo, Restaurante Sousa
Santiago, Casa Manolo

Best Albergue Meal:
Viloria de la Rioja, Albergue Acacio y Orietta
Belorado, Albergue Cuatro Cantones
Belorado, Albergue A Santiago
Castrojeriz, Camping Camino de Santiago
Moratinos, Hospital San Bruno
Villar de Mazarife, Albergue San Antonio de Padua (vegetarian)
Hospital de Orbigo, Albergue Verde (vegetarian)
San Mamede do Camiño, Albergue Paloma y Leña
Arzua, Albergue Ultreia

Best Pizza
La Tagliatelle, in Pamplona, León, Burgos, and Santiago
Pizzeria La Compentencia, in León and Ponferrada

Bon apetit! Buen proveche! Guten apetit! Buona apetito!

~Albuergue Camino del Perdon in Uterga.

~Albuergue Via Trajana in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos, on the roman road option after Sahagun

KinkyOne said:
Mmmmmmm, morcillas, very good :lol:
It's a must in this region!
You've entered into major Castilla y Leon controversy without realizing it. Morcilla is typical in the region of Burgos and of Leon, but made differently. Which is better? Isn't it fun to keep trying to figure it out? :mrgreen:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@waveprof

Hahaha, to be exact, both morcillas from Burgos and from Leon are better :D Feel like entitled to say so, because I make them myself at home. Same same but different :lol:

Auberge Orisson - on the first leg uphill from STJPP. Outstanding meal and wine. It is also inhouse without having to go out and find something.

Albergue San Antonio Padua in Villar de Mazariffe, on the path outside Leon about 19 kilometers. Great oasis in the middle of nowhere, but what a restspot. The best meal and wine I had on the Camino, and again, it was all inhouse.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I see that this question has been raised again so I thought I would revive this thread.
Viana - towards the ruin of San Pedro - House Armendariz - they get full marks from me for their Menu del Dia - how they do it for €10 , I do not know.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I had a very nice Menu del Dia in Palas de Rei, Meson Forxa. Three choices for each course, the one and only time I've had pulpo Gallego and very nice it was.

One of the best on the Frances I had was at the restaurant in the San Martin Pinario Hospederia in Santiago. Lovely and very cheap.

Not on the Frances but if you ever make it to Oviedo on one of the other routes then the restaurant above the El Fontan market is really good. Pota Asturiana was amazing, I ate the entire pot. Loads cheaper than the tourist places on Cider Street.

We had lots of great food on our summer Camino Frances, as well as our fair share of meals we wished we had never ordered. But we were always grateful at the end of the day. So, very subjectively, to the top 5.

Our favourite meals were had at:-

1. Cafe Bar La Plaza in Fromista. A genuine and fabulous owner who dished up the best meal we had on the Camino. Low price but a magic meal and no surprise it was full of locals. When we gave a tip to his lovely 6 year old daughter, he came over and insisted we try a bottle - on top of the one we had just enjoyed! - of local wine, on the house, from his friend's vineyard. Attending mass that evening after all the wine was a rather surreal experience! We also loved Fromista very much, with its open and fascinating churches, friendly locals and very relaxed place. Our 2nd favourite pace we stopped at.

2. Albergue Laganares, San Nicolas. The quantity and quality of the food here was spectacular. We were especially surprised as we had hoped to stay at the Hospital San Bruno in Moratinos, where I had had a superb meal two years previously, but it was full when we arrived.

3. Albergue Santa Lucia, Villavante. Not only was the meal fabulous after a long stage from Leon, but the albergue also was just perfect. Only sad thing was that the church didn't open in the evening.

4. Albergue El Alfar, Hornillos. The incredible owner / hospitalero cooked a superb paella, which was better than any paella I had during my years in Spain previously. Another nice albergue too.

5. Errr... Dominos Burgos! After a very long stage from Villafranca Montes de Oca a Dominos pizza was just perfect sustenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Estella has a place called 'The Diner' in Plaza Fueros. I can recommend the individual servings of Paella.

Sarria- we stayed at San Lazaro, and they recommended a littler diner down the road. They had a cannelloni dish that was amazing! Three of us ate for 23 euros.
IMG_1745 small.jpg

Palas de Rey- we stayed at Casa Domingo, and enjoyed the communal dinner. When we asked what was being served that night, the lady would not tell us. She just said "Surpriso!" We had 2 types of soup (both delicious, and I'm not a soup fan), hand-made meatballs, roasted chicken... Every part of the meal was more delicious than the last.

Quite simply, every menu along the way was good in my opinion. Have to say though that the best meals with largest portions and cheapest prices seemed to be before Burgos. The closer I got to Santiago a lot of places were serving smaller portions and the price increased. The one place I would not eat again was Alto de Poio. Albergue was not great and the hostel across the road was from all reports run by shall we say, a rather eccentric host, and that's being as kind as I can be :)

The shared meal at Albergue Cuatro Cantones in Belorado was fabulous..the host family were so friendly and kind. Lovely place to stay also. It was tops for me!

As a foodie, this thread is making me even more excited about the Camino! I am hoping to have time to put these places in geographical order and then load them in a pdf file onto my Kindle. :D

Yum!
Did you manage to put that list together after all?

For those of you who look for a good pilgrim menu in Santiago, I recommend "Casa Manolo". We had a choice from three base dishes, the portions were huge and really tasty. The prices was normal and location is very close to the Cathedral, Here is their website : http://www.casamanolo.es/indexD.html

We had a choice from three base dishes
Casa Manolo has the largest selection of items of any pilgrim menu on the Camino. It is more like a dozen menu choices for both the primero and secundo. It is one of the few places where wine is extra, but the meal comes with water. The desserts are the weakest part of the meal. It is large, two floors, so is a good place to meet with camino friends at the end. I have never met anyone who did not rate it highly.

Did you manage to put that list together after all?

I'm collecting these culinary suggestions but for now the list is in a very rough form, with some missing info etc. which also depends on members memory ;). By now I've listed 92 restaurants/hotels/albergues/cafes on 64 locations which I gathered in several threads on this forum. If interested send me your E-mail and I can forward it in whether .docx or .pdf format.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm collecting these culinary suggestions but for now the list is in a very rough form, with some missing info etc. which also depends on members memory ;). By now I've listed 92 restaurants/hotels/albergues/cafes on 64 locations which I gathered in several threads on this forum. If interested send me your E-mail and I can forward it in whether .docx or .pdf format.
Thanks! thetravellingpen@gmail.com much appreciated x

In Puente La Reina late last October I enjoyed a GREAT menu del dia at the La Conrada restaurant at 17 Paseo de los Fueros, which parallels the camino on the south. For 10 euros seated in the comfy bar the meal included pasta salad, fresh octopus with aioli mayonaise and saute potatoes, lemon sherbet, and a glass of wine. Read more on their web page.

Margaret Meredith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of my favorite menus del dia on the Camino frances is at the Restaurant Basseri http://www.restaurantebaserri.com/ in Pamplona. It's located right across the street from the Hostal Bearan, very close to the main square, where I've stayed a number of times when on my way up to Roncesvalles/SJPP. The restaurant is at the far back of the bar area, and it has several different "upgrade" possibilities from their basic menu. For a few euros more,you can get a special cut of meat or some other little perk, or a better wine. This place has great tapas in the front as well, but if you want a full meal go to the restaurant and you will not regret it.

We too ate at the Restaurant Basseri and had excellent service.

Deportivo on the main square in Navarette serves a wonderful stuffed squid floating in it's own ink for 12 euros and it was one of the best meals I had on the Camino. The front is a Tapas Bar and the restaurant is in the back.
Thank you for giving the name of this establishment, which I failed to write down when I was there. This place served my most memorable (in a good way) dinner on the C Frances, and the dining area had a warm and friendly ambiance. I had the stuffed squid, too, and dessert was wine-infused pears in some sort of scrumptious sauce.

Cafe Iruna in Pamplona had excellent raciones. Eating at one of Hemingway's old haunts was also a side benefit, and it was my first taste of Estrella Galicia.

Pears in wine sauce, found in both France and Spain:

Spiced Red Wine-Poached Pears Spiced Red Wine-Poached Pears

Total Time:
3 hr 50 min
Prep: 20 min
Inactive: 3 hr
Cook: 30 min

Yield: 4 servings

Level: Intermediate

Ingredients :
2 cups dry red wine, such as cabernet or merlot
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 orange, juiced (about 1/2 cup)
1 (1 by 3-inch) strip orange zest
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
4 firm, ripe pears

Directions

In a 4-quart saucepan, combine wine, sugar, orange juice, zest, cinnamon stick and cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. While liquid is simmering, peel pears, leaving stem intact and being careful not to blemish the flesh of the pears. Slice 1/2-inch off the bottom of the pears to create a flat bottom. Gently place pears in poaching liquid, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes to ensure even color, until pears are cooked but still firm. Remove saucepan from flame, uncover and cool with pears upright in pan. Once cool, cover and chill in refrigerator at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours, turning occasionally, if desired. Gently remove pears from liquid and allow to come to room temperature. Meanwhile, reduce liquid by about half over a medium-high flame for 15 minutes, until liquid is thicker and slightly syrupy. Remove from flame and let liquid come to room temperature. Drizzle each pear with 2 tablespoons syrup and serve.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back