• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start on the Aragones

cilento

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be walking the Aragones in July 09. Flying to Pau from London on Ryan Air and want to begin in Oloron Ste Marie, but I was thinking of starting in Lourdes. The problem is that I am walking with a friend who has never done this before (I've done the Frances once before). I don't want him to get discouraged right away so I'm trying to find the best "beginner" days to get him started.

On the Camino Frances 2 years ago, the first day from St Jean nearly killed my walking partner and it took her 5 days to recover. I just don't want this to happen again.

I'm looking for the best place to start where the first 2 days will be relatively easy and there will be plenty of lodging. Can anyone give me an idea of what the first 2 days from Lourdes are like. Are there places to stay? Difficult stages? etc.

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Cilento,
I'll be starting in Lourdes on 6th June and hope to be able to post on a blog from time to time.
http://www.2009pilgrims.blogspot.com
Here is an excerpt from a forum member's diary who walked the route last year - seems the first day or two will not be too strenuous for your friend.

From Lourdes to Oloron-Ste Marie is about 40% walking on foot paths, 60% pavement, much ups and downs, but not very high. If the weather is (or was wet) some paths in the woods are muddy or when going through fields and these fields are not mowed, you will be wet up to your waist.
From Oloron-Ste.Marie the route goes up to the Somport-Pass through the "Val d'Aspe". We walked a lot on the main road through that valley, N 134, specially from Sarrance, because signs along the route warned not to go on the foot path for safety reasons due to the heavy rainfall early 2007.

Thanks so much for the reply! Your PM and the others I've received have been incredibly helpful.

It gives me lots to obsess over for the next 2 months. Can't wait to read your blog entries.

Buen Camino!
Dominick

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I got a WhatsApp a little bit ago and also saw here on the forum that @Vacajoe posted that the pilgrim albergue in Canfranc Pueblo will be opening April 16.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back