1. New here?
    We have accumulated over 10 years of Camino Questions and Answers.
    Please Sign Up and plan your camino with us. Buen Camino! Ivar

Who packed vitamins?

Discussion in 'Medical issues on the pilgrimage' started by kaixo, May 24, 2012.

1. kaixo

kaixo New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances 2012, Camino del Norte 2012
    I just put six weeks of vitamins in baggies and they weigh alot...well, at least the same as a large yellow onion.
    Heres what I take per day: One Multi, One Flax, Two Fish Oil, One Cal/Mag/D3 combo.
    Did anyone carry their vitamins, send any on ahead, or purchase along el camino?

2. Pieces

Pieces Member

If you eat varied and healthy food you don't really need vitamins. In fact recent research has shown they may not be as healthy after all, but I am sure you allready know this...

I will obviously not be bringing vitamins, but i did purchase magnesium last year (didn't work for anythin tho)

splurge a bit and bring only for a week or two if you insist, then buy a load and share with your fellow pilgrims what you can't bother carrying around

3. Homer-Dog

Homer-Dog New Member

I decided that skipping my daily vitamins for seven weeks wouldn't kill me. I did take glucosamine/chondroitin which I take for my joints (works for some people doesn't do a thing for others - it seems to help my tendinitis). It added some weight but it decreased as I went along and took them each night.

I agree that eating good meals along the way should be enough while you are walking the Camino.

4. Alan Pearce

Alan Pearce Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Aragones 2008, del Norte 2009, VdlP 2011, Miraz Hospitalero Sept/Oct 2012, Miraz Hospitalero Oct 2013, Amigo Sept 2013, Rabanal hospitalero June 2014, Ingles May 2014
    I get by without vitamin tablets by eating a plate of ensalada as a first course in my pilgrim meal at least 3 times a week, and by eating 4-5 pieces of fruit each day. The fruit in Spain is wonderful. I'm not sure if chocolate has any vitamins, but I also eat a block of that every day just in case.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

5. vagabondette

vagabondette New Member

I was thinking about it, but not worth the weight IMO. If you're flying, make sure you keep them in the original jars, not baggies so you don't get hassled.

6. annakappa

annakappa Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013.
    Are all these tablets "self prescribed"? If so, just leave them all at home and enjoy good, natural, fresh Spanish fare,which, if you choose correctly, will supply you with all these substitutes! Anne

7. Abbeydore

Abbeydore Member

Vitamins, we took one horrible brown one to keep the mozzies away, it was so cold in April, didn't see any, so after a week, I stopped, never got bitten, but then I saw someone who had, yikes, I felt very sorry for her :twisted:

Weight = Pain
    No Weight = Less Pain.

Buen Camino

8. atlanticheart

atlanticheart New Member

I took some vitamins and pills with me. I only walked for a week though.
    I brought a multivitamin, because I know I don't eat well enough to get it all through the food, I also brought probiotics which I always take when I travel. I also took pills with turmeric, as that's a natural anti-inflammatory and magnesium which helps the muscles relax.
    Didn't buy anything there, but usually Spain and France have quite a good selection in their pharmacies.

Hope that helps =)

Hilda

9. k-fun

k-fun Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés (2011), Camino Portugués (2013), Camino St. Jaume (2013)
    Prior to leaving, I visited my doctor to ask which vitamins and medications were essential. I then packed what I needed in the original containers. In all, they weighed 1 Kilo. Once in Spain, I combined bottles and removed some of the weight.

Having returned home, I still continue to take only the "essential" vitamins.

10. crisnelson

crisnelson New Member

about traveling with vitamins: I was going to put mine in small individual zip-lock bags, but I was wondering about customs - will they think I am bringing drugs into the country? Has anyone had any experience with bringing vitamins through Spanish customs? Cris

11. falcon269

falcon269 No commercial interests Donating Member

I was not even aware of Customs in Spain. There was no apparent inspection of checked baggage, so all my pills in my pack did not cause controversy. Getting them into the aircraft cabin may be different. I had just a one day supply in a plastic bag, which has always passed the x-ray inspections. I did get a full orifice pat-down for a hand wipe wrapped in foil, which I forgot in a pants pocket!

12. Rebekah Scott

Rebekah Scott Well-Known Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances, Ingles, Invierno, San Salvador, Vadiniense, Portugal coast. Hospitalera, Federation hospi trainer, guide writer, waymarker, litter-picker.
    You can get good multivitamins in Spain.
    When I am hiking I take one Supradyn Active (available in every pharmacy) every morning, and try to eat lots of veg and fruit. No need to shlep packets around, I am good to go!

Reb

13. Spirit7759

Spirit7759 New Member

I have vitamins/medications that I take every day. In general, when we travel internationally, I do what another writer said above and travel on the plane with it all in original packaging with a note from my doctor. Once I get to my destination, I sort into the daily baggies and pitch the bottles. I use tiny zip locks that I order from Amazon that don't take up a lot of space, although six weeks worth will weigh a bit before I take up most of it. On the other hand, I am reading everyone's wonderful hints about packing lightly with an ultralight pack. It will be a good reminder to separate "wants" from "needs."

What about other Rx drugs, particularly pain medications? Do you think those should stay in original containers once a person is on the trail?

14. kaixo

kaixo New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances 2012, Camino del Norte 2012
    After reading all the responses, I have unpacked the bulk of the vitamins!
    Except...I will take 7 multi's to get me started.
    Then if I feel the need I can buy the Supradyn Active as suggested by Rebekah.
    Thank you to all for your wonderful advice.

15. francie503

francie503 New Member

Interesting answers but the only person that can answer the question about vitamins is YOU. In a perfect world no one needs vitamins but if you know your body and the issues you have then I believe it is prudent to carry ONLY the mimimum you will need. I take vitamins bottomline but I take the supplements MY body needs.

Remember you are going to be taxing your body more than if you were sitting at home. I've discovered what I call my secret weapon about a year ago. I've been training for the camino since the beginning of June (well actually 2 products) and these products get me through the days I become fatigued: green tea and a vitamin B12 spray. Okay this isn't any green tea but matcha green tea. I can't say this will work for you OR even if you should drink this but it completely rejuvenates me. I plan on packing a small tin that weighs very little for the days that I need a little boost. It is not a drug or vitamin but TEA which I consider a food. Vitamin B12 in a spray weighs very little but decide if this is good for you.

What ever my body is depleting when I'm training matcha green tea puts it back. Somewhat of a sticker shock for this product but you only need VERY VERY LITTLE. MOST IMPORTANTLY I would consult your health care provider if you can drink this. If you take a blood thinner it is very important that you do consult your doctor. Peace and Light Francine

16. CaptBuddy

CaptBuddy Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Fall 2012, again Fall 2014.
    I agree. The food, especially in the North, is great. Especially the fresh seafood.
    When I'm in Spain next month, I get to visit my cousins in Santander. The oldest just turned 96, and I wish I was as spry as she.
    Unless you need extra B12 or C or some rare mineral, you can save the weight.

17. ncali12

ncali12 New Member

I packed in two boxes of different types of Emergence-C when I went. I also took Glucosomine Chondroitin, Arnica tablets and Quick Defense. Because the little packets of Emergence-C took up so much room, I emptied the individual packets out into two baggies. This reduced the weight and volume considerably but still the little baggies of powder had some weight to them. By the time I got to Granon, I had had enough of any ounce of additional weight. So I ended up leaving the bags of emergence-C behind at the auberge. I continued to take the Glucosomine. The arnica didn't take up much room so I kept that. The one thing that really helped was the Quick Defense. Twice I felt precursors to a cold setting in and as soon as I started the Quick Defense, the symptoms abaited. All that being said, next time I go, I'll just take enough for a 4 or five days and not worry about carrying a months supply. As for the food. Someone mentioned above that the food in Northern Spain is great. Well, on the whole it is okay. But for those who don't eat meat or fish, it can be challenging.

18. daesdaemar

daesdaemar Camino-holic

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Ingles - twice
    I just counted out the vitamins I would need and put them in a baggie. Took them everyday like at home.