• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will there be 'Room at the Inn" in May/June 2014?

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata - plan to walk in May/June 2014
I am planning to start my camino from Seville in early May. I am concerned that there may not be enough beds in some of the obvious towns to stop at. Has anyone had this issue on Via de la Plata? Should I book ahead each day? Any wise advice is welcome.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Deborah,

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think booking ahead is necessary at all. May is a popular month on the Vdlp, but all the albergues and private places will be open. In any town where there's likely to be a crunch, I think you will easily find private alternatives if the albergue is full. For instance, when I walked a few years ago, I spent several hours visiting the Roman city of Itálica. That meant I arrived in Guillena in mid afternoon. The albergue was full, but the nearby Bar Francés has rooms and it wasn't a problem. I think that the numbers of walkers on the Vdlp are generally still in line with the availability of accommodation. I haven't been between Sevilla and Zamora for a few years, but last year I joined the Vdlp/Sanabrés in Zamora and from there north there were no problems with accommodation and we never worried about reserving. I left Valencia in early May, which means I joined the Sanabrés at about the same time you will join it.

The one exception I would make is that if you are going to try to stay at the Hostal Asturias near the Arco de Caparra (lots of information on this stage here on the forum, but ask if you have questions). If you want someone to come pick you up, you'll need to call the day before.

Not having to worry about booking ahead is a great relief on the Vdlp because there are several places where you option is either 18 or 34 kms for the day (or something like that) and it's frequently impossible to predict which you'll feel like doing until you get to the first potential stopping place.

Buen camino, you´ll love the Vdlp! Laurie

Laurie, thanks for your valuable response. I have been reading many of the comments on the forum and am very excited about the walk. I have a print out of Jirits hot tips, and am sure fellow peregrinos/as will have lots of advice. I will be at Trianan Backpackers on 06 May, and ready to stride out the next morning. Can't wait. VdlP here I come!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am planning to start my camino from Seville in early May. I am concerned that there may not be enough beds in some of the obvious towns to stop at. Has anyone had this issue on Via de la Plata? Should I book ahead each day? Any wise advice is welcome.
Hi Deborah, I completely agree with Laurie, I walked the Via from Seville starting late April last year and there was never a need to ring and book ahead except for the Arco de Caparra where we rang Monica who runs the albergue in Oliva de Plasencia so she could pick us up. Personally I wouldn't stay there again, 20 pilgrims that night and only the first two into the showers had hot water, mind you she did warn us the tank was small but surely enough hot water for more than two peopole. That critisim aside I fell in love with the Via, I loved everything about it, the peace and quiet, the fewer people and I went with the absolute belief we would find a bed each night and were never let down. Sue.

Hi Deborah,
I'm planning to walk out from Trianan Backpackers on the 7th as well so I expect we may cross paths. I'm considering staying in Sevilla for a 2nd night as there is an amazing festival happening which starts on the evening of the 6th. I'm probably not booking ahead too often, though this could change depending on the numbers of folks walking. I'll be figuring this out as I go. I believe that Angela who is from Australia is planning to start on the 8th...so there will be others to visit with at the end of the day...a good thing, and one of the best parts of the experience. I may pre-book Bar Frances in Guillena for the first night as I'll still be fighting off jet lag and looking for a decent sleep. Best.
Geoff

Hi Deborah,
I'm planning to walk out from Trianan Backpackers on the 7th as well so I expect we may cross paths. I'm considering staying in Sevilla for a 2nd night as there is an amazing festival happening which starts on the evening of the 6th. I'm probably not booking ahead too often, though this could change depending on the numbers of folks walking. I'll be figuring this out as I go. I believe that Angela who is from Australia is planning to start on the 8th...so there will be others to visit with at the end of the day...a good thing, and one of the best parts of the experience. I may pre-book Bar Frances in Guillena for the first night as I'll still be fighting off jet lag and looking for a decent sleep. Best.
Geoff

My room at the Bar Francés had a "window" that opened to the hallway, none that went to the outside. It was very hot and I had to leave it open. There was a big group of very animated and lively people in the bar downstairs, and I heard most of their merrymaking. So, just a heads up that this place may not be the most quiet. My first time in Guillena, I was in the old albergue. Again it was hot and we had to leave the door open. That meant there was noise till the polideportivo closed, but at least it was quiet after that. But the adrenaline will compensate for your lack of sleep!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Laurie. I'll keep that in mind...yes there will be adrenaline!

On another item, appreciating that the weather varies by year and even by day, on a general basis if walking in May/June would a silk liner be adequate for sleeping in albergues or should one take a light sleeping bag?

Hi Deborah,
I'm also starting from Seville May 8th, staying at Trianna backpackers. I've read that there's no need to book ahead but this is a new Camino for me so can't comment. I hope we get to meet up, it would be good to have some company. Buen Camino

Thanks Laurie. I'll keep that in mind...yes there will be adrenaline!

On another item, appreciating that the weather varies by year and even by day, on a general basis if walking in May/June would a silk liner be adequate for sleeping in albergues or should one take a light sleeping bag?

I carry a sleeping bag, no matter when I walk, just because I know that I tend to be cold. It's a very lightweight bag, but I regularly use it in the albergues, unless we're really having a heat wave. Now that's just me, some people have a much higher internal thermostat and don't need much in the way of warmth at night. Last time I was on the Vdlp, in May 2010, I frequently found I needed my wool gloves in the mornings, and often kept them on as late as 11 am.

But I know people who walk in May and are happy with a silk liner, so it just depends on your own personal body temperature, there's no clear answer here. Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Geoff, Angela, That Fair in Seville, starting 06 May looks like a fun way to start off the VdlP. I am easy with a start date, and a bit of Andalucian culture would be a great starter. I have both a light sleeping bag and a silk liner, and will make a call before I leave NZ, based on the weather in Spain in late April. I was planning on taking a long sleeved icebreaker top, and thought the combo of the top and the liner would be OK. Looking forward to this more and more!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back