• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Elevation profiles of the tracks from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles
Rick of Rick and Peg

Elevation profiles of the tracks from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles

If seen in a post click the chart to see a page with comments on the details.
On both the Napoleon and Valcarlos routes there are 3 km stretches that average a 15% slope. On the Napoleon from the 4.0 km mark to the 7.0 km mark (with an elevation gain of 450 m). The same elevation gain can be seen on the Valcarlos route between the 18.5 and 21.5 km marks. Also note that, although the Napoleon reaches a higher elevation, the cumulative elevation gains are about the same (N=1398 m, V=1359 m).

i saw a lot capturing Mama Mary
upon starting from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles
are both routes pass by the statue?

i saw a lot capturing Mama Mary
upon starting from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles
are both routes pass by the statue?
No @yaying. The Virgin, Cross of Thibault, horses and sheep are on the Route Napoleon, the higher track. The lower track through Valcarlos is pretty but not spectacular so you don't see many pictures taken along this way.

The two routes separate quickly in St. Jean and don't meet again until either Ibaneta or Roncevalles. From the highest point of the two tracks there are two ways down to Roncevalles. The way the Pilgrims Office recommends is to follow a road down to Puerto Ibaneta (the pass of Ibaneta) and then to Roncevalles. This is what the high route in the picture shows. But from that high point the other way, the marked camino, enters woods on a somewhat steep trail to go directly to Roncevalles.

At Ibaneta there is a chapel, a scenic view and a monument to the famed warrior Roland who was killed near that spot in 774 or so.

Route Napoleon
thank you so much, jotted down, cause those what u have mentioned about is what i want to see.
in case not affected by climate change, what is best possible time to walk this napoleon route (aside from summer time), i mean like end of April, is this passable?

what is best possible time to walk this napoleon route (aside from summer time), i mean like end of April, is this passable?
If the weather is good they open the high trail on April 1 and close it at the end of October but they can close it for bad weather days in between. We hike in mountains at home that are similar and there can be really bad days to hike (fog, rain, snow, wind). Remember too that the weather can be bad but not bad enough for them to close the trail. For example, we did not take the Route Napoleon in mid-May because there was a good chance of lightening. Also, because you are used to hot climates, you may find it way too cold for comfort in the spring and autumn.

is that dropping to minus sir during spring & autumn?
I waited to answer until I got on a better computer to do searches. I found a chart of average, maximum and minimum temperatures per month for Roncevalles. Remember though that some of the Napoleon Route is higher and, being on a ridge, would be windier. That would make you feel a lot colder. The chart of temperatures through the year is at

In the past I used the book by John Brierly and recently purchased the new version.
I have down loaded the Camino Ninja and find it very good with elevations, distance and Albergues all listed and their costs.
The best thing about the Ninja is you can say I am starting here today and then scroll down to say 18k distance and see all the towns in that distance that you may want to stop at and then you can look at the Albergues for costs. Some even have pictures of the bedrooms.
All the best for your Camino, we are walking Mid April to early June 2024 as we like to take in all the scenery as we go. The we head for Le Puy and walk to ST John Pied de Port and will celebrate my 80th BD on the way

Media information

Category
Camino Frances
Added by
Rick of Rick and Peg
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.
This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back