• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shortened version of Camino del Norte

Eli_

Time of past OR future Camino
(Planned) Camino del Norte
Hi all :)

I (30F) am planning to walk the Camino del Norte around September 2022.

Camino del Norte seems around 34 days of walking and I got 6 weeks vacation from my work (42 days). I'm afraid that it will be going to be really tight (timewise) 😕 ...
**Note that I travel from Canada (time of flight, time lag, etc.)

I was thinking of cutting off a small section of the Camino to give me a buffer if I want to enjoy some cities, get a "bad day", if I want to have rest days before the re-starting work, etc.

It will be my first travel alone and it's my first Camino. I'm in "average" shape: I'm not in really GOOD shape, but walk 1h 3-4x\week and go to yoga class 1-2x\week.

Do you have a suggestion of a section of the Camino del Norte that I can skip (ex: by traveling by bus)
or
Did you had any similar situation ? Was it too tight in time ?

Short, what's your opinion and\or suggestion 🙃
(Any additional advice/suggestion regarding this travel is also welcome)

Thanks for your help !

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Uhmmm... I took 29 days, it can be done! breaking the Camino is not nice, you lose contact with familiar faces and it just does not feel right somehow. Normall, you would skip the beginning part, but the Basque Country days are among the most beautiful (and demanding) you could ever dream of.

Go on, be brave, 30 days is doable!

I agree with Amancio - sounds like you are plenty fit enough to get the job whole done, as well as walk on to Finisterre for a selfi by the lighthouse...!
So I'd say - up your walking a little in the next few months. Then just see what happens when you start, and go with the flow.
You'll find that as well as the Alsa buses, the FEVE narrow gauge railway runs alongside much of the Norte. So you might make a decision to skip a couple of days more based on how you feel at that moment, for instance if confronted with tiredness/illness or bad weather, rather than the merits of a particular section of the way. But in reality you won't need to! 😁

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you want to have a more relaxed walk simply start closer to Santiago.

Bilbao is pretty easy to get to.
Then, if you have extra time after arriving in Santiago you can walk to Finisterre and/or Muxía.
But the most beautiful (and delicious) part of the del Norte is the first week from Irun to Bilbao.
Even with counting a day each to fly in to San Sebastian (or wherever you are flying) and out, and a day after and before each flight to accomodate the time change and rest, you should have time for a few days off wherever you like.

As others have noted, you can always take a bus or train to shorten the journey. I ended up taking a train from Ribadesella to Oviedo to do the Primitivo because I wanted to get to Santiago in time for the St. James Day fiesta. (I don't particularly recommend the fiesta, for what it's worth.)

If you have the time, I'd recommend trying 20-30km walks on weekends, or whenever you have time, to get used to walking, and if you carry a full pack with you, you will have no problem when you start the camino.

Not everyone finishes the longer caminos in one visit. I took two visits to finish the CF.

Why not start out in Irún (as most people do) and see how far you get?

I´m starting the Norte late August and I won't be missing missing any sections, regardless if I complete it or not.

There is more to a camino than arriving in Santiago...........Did I hear someone mention the journey? 😇

From what I read in your post, I reckon you can do it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can save a little time by taking the metro across Bilbao. Not sure of the details, but I remember that Efren Gonzalez did this in his Camino del Norte 2019 Youtube Vlog. There might be other city/suburban areas where you can do the same. Avoiding these long stretches of hard surfaces will save some wear and tear on the legs and feet.

Take your time walking and enjoy the beauty of the Norte and take rest days in select cities and villages. Come back next year to finish. If you rush just to do the whole Norte in your alloted time schedule you'll miss out on many things. I took 43 days in 2019 and felt it was to fast, this year will be slower so I can really enjoy my Norte.

Camino del Norte seems around 34 days of walking and I got 6 weeks vacation from my work (42 days). I'm afraid that it will be going to be really tight (timewise) 😕 ...

I was thinking of cutting off a small section of the Camino to give me a buffer if I want to enjoy some cities, get a "bad day", if I want to have rest days before the re-starting work, etc.

It will be my first travel alone and it's my first Camino. I'm in "average" shape: I'm not in really GOOD shape, but walk 1h 3-4x\week and go to yoga class 1-2x\week.

Do you have a suggestion of a section of the Camino del Norte that I can skip (ex: by traveling by bus)
or

Thanks for your help !
Do the primativo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Take your time walking and enjoy the beauty of the Norte and take rest days in select cities and villages. Come back next year to finish.
I have walked the Norte and it is beautiful. It also can be difficult for many people, myself included. You say yourself that you are in average shape. I too am in average shape but I have the advantage of walking many caminos and knowing how important rhythm is, how important listening to your body is and how important resting correctly is. It is also probably your first camino and it is even a little more difficult because your body has probably never experienced what you will be doing. It will adjust and you will be more powerful and confident with each passng day.
You can start closer to Santiago as trecile says, or you can take Lunchmeat's advice and not miss the first part from Bilbao to Irun. Doing this you will probably make it very difficult to get to Santiago in your allotted time you have. You need to decide if getting a Compostela and arriving in Santiago is that important to you. You can just walk and come back another year to finish or you can take buses to skip a few small sections here or there. It is your camino and you can decide.
With all due respect to some other pilgrims who posted here I think the absolute worst advice is what a few wrote in the beginning that 30 days is doable and to push forward and do it. You have never walked before and listening to others about how fast, how far and how many days you "should" do the camino is a recipe for failure. A recipe for injury, temporary or long term, pain, blisters and illness. The idea that you will "lose contact" with familiar faces may be true but you know what? Right behind you will be many more new familiar faces for you to meet, enjoy and maybe even build a deeper relationship with then the familiar face you are walking beside now. You may also decide you need the solitude and time with yourself much more than a familiar face. We all have expectations and fears of what a camino will mean for us and what we need to overcome. The fears will quickly melt away the expectations will change into the reality of why and what you are on the camino for.
In 6,000 kilometers of walking I have seen many people who had to quit, or walked in constant pain because they insisted on pushing themselves because they had to be somewhere or pushed themselves to stay up with familiar faces or camino "families". Like I always say to those people that are in pain on the camino is, your "family" friends are all walking their own caminos and are happy. You are pushing yourself, you are in pain and maybe be causing long term damage to yourself, you most certainly need days of rest and healing. Would your mother, father, sister or brother or someone who truly knew and loved you push you to walk on? Of course not. They would insist that you rest and they would be there to care for you so you can continue and enjoy this incredible experience.
Decide what is important to you especially about where you want to finish or if it matters, listen to your body and heart, your mind can be your enemy, and just walk and enjoy.

Then, if you have extra time after arriving in Santiago you can walk to Finisterre and/or Muxía.
that is where I plan to start from since in 2019 I stop there and went on to Camino Francis.

Eli, unless you are a particularly slow walker or have a mobility problem, you will find that you have the time to complete the Camino from Irún and to include three or four rest/tourist days, perhaps choosing from Bilbao, Santander, Comillas, Llanes and Avilés, plus a day or two at Santiago. The whole experience of walking the del Norte will be superb. Don't miss an inch unless you have to. A decent amount of preparation is advisable, of course. Then go for it! Buen Camino! Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I went on the Norte in 2016 and planned to walk from Bilboa to Santiago & had 5 weeks including travel from US. I went for the views & the coastal walking so after a few days I started bussing/training around the bigger cities & when the route turned inland toward Santiago at Ribadeo I bussed to Baamonde to walk in to get my compostella. I had bussed to Finesterre on previous caminos so I had enough time to walk on to Finisterre which was a great treat! Buen Camino!

I did the Irun - Santander portion a few years ago with my son. There are some strenuous portions made even more so by choosing the scenic route along the cliffs instead of the road route. However I wouldn't want to have missed those fabulous views just for the sake of an easier walk.

I can emphasize with your anxiety around being physically ready for your trip. I'm in my sixties and always worry about my ability to complete my Camino plans. Beginning April 1 I ramp up my yoga attendance and begin to go for long walks with 2 x 4l milk jugs full of water in my knapsack. That seems to do the trick for me.

More importantly I agree with @lt56ny , take it easy to begin with, especially those first few scenic but tough days. You will get stronger and you may find that a few 30k days are easily done. Look after your feet, carry very little weight. Send your bag on by Correos if you anticipate a bad day. You'll have many hours between restaurants and cafe stops to puzzle through what's right for you.

If there was one portion I would plan on avoiding it would be the pieces into and out of Bilbao. I ended up on a busy highway for most of this and found it really unpleasant if not dangerous. So you can subway in, spend the night in Bilbao and then motor up to Portugalete.

Do some research, do some down dogs, and plan on enjoying the day by day walk is my advice.

or

Thanks for your help !
Hi, I combined the Norte from Irun to Villaviciosa then Primitivo to Santiago and also walked to Muxia last September, it was 36 walking days, I took 2 rest days along the way, like you, I'm in average shape, it is definitely doable in the time and I agree with everybody else, the beginning from Irun is so beautiful (if challenging) but you should just go with how you feel, it's your Camino and I hope it's a great one!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Plan also for some great days. Maybe you'll choose to head off the Norte and down the Primitivo!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

or

Thanks for your help !
Eli, if I could offer you one piece of advice, don't stress. There is no right way or wrong way to walk the Camino. I have done the Camino Frances twice. I slept in a goat hut the first night out in the Pyrenees. We got caught in a snow storm. So, the first day took two days. The worst thing I see people do is turning this experience into a race. Do NOT do that. Just walk, relax, enjoy. If you don't finish, take time off next year and start from where you left off. I promise, the Camino will be there when you go back.

I have seen two types of people on the Camino. People who are stressed out and crying because they can't keep to a schedule. These people brought their lives with them. They never had a chance to enjoy the freedom of the Camino. They stressed me out just being around them. Then, there are the people who are just happy to be on the Camino. They stop when they want to stop. They eat when they want to eat. They stay an extra day in a city because they love the city. They spend time with the people they meet and then meet new people tomorrow.

The entire purpose of the Camino is to get away from the hustle and bustle of our every day lives. If you stress over a schedule, you are taking your every day life to the Camino instead of just being part of the Camino. Let the world go. Leave schedules and itineraries behind. Be where you are!

Bonjour Eli. I also am planing to walk the Camino Norte and the Primitivo this fall . I am from Québec. Maybe you will not need nor want as many rest days as you think. When I was on other Caminos (Le Puy, Frances, an d Portugal) I found that once I started all I wanted to do was walk every day. From what I can see you will have time to do what you want to do. Bye for now.

Hi. When I did Del Norte it took 37 days. Only three days were over 30 kms. Some were only 14kms and a few more under 20kms. My suggestion, if I may is to just walk. Start in Irun and see where you are after about 26 days. Is the Compostela important to you?? If not then I believe you will have an incredible spontaneous journey across Northern Spain and meet many wonderful people and after 34 days you will wonder why you worried at all. However if the Compostela means a lot to you then the only section I didn't enjoy were the 3 stages after Santander but only because of the excessive asphalt and many blisters. Maybe those 3 days would work for you. Remember though, it's your Camino journey and I sincerely hope you enjoy it immensely. Daniel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

or

Thanks for your help !
I skipped over the
Hi. When I did Del Norte it took 37 days. Only three days were over 30 kms. Some were only 14kms and a few more under 20kms. My suggestion, if I may is to just walk. Start in Irun and see where you are after about 26 days. Is the Compostela important to you?? If not then I believe you will have an incredible spontaneous journey across Northern Spain and meet many wonderful people and after 34 days you will wonder why you worried at all. However if the Compostela means a lot to you then the only section I didn't enjoy were the 3 stages after Santander but only because of the excessive asphalt and many blisters. Maybe those 3 days would work for you. Remember though, it's your Camino journey and I sincerely hope you enjoy it immensely. Daniel
i Skipped the Guernica stage. Then went to the olviedo to switch onto the Primitivo before Gijon.

Thanks! Very good recommendation! It will be useful for me too!:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.