• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for 8-10 day segment on Portuguese Camino (May 2023)?

LisaJS

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues planned May 2023
Hello, can anyone provide suggestions for an 8-10 day segment on the Camino Portuguese (Central or Coastal or a mix)?
My husband and I are planning this as a trial run of sorts before walking the Camino Frances.
Specifically, we do NOT want to reach Santiago, so as to save that experience for the completion of a full camino. Our planned timing is May of 2023.

We'll have 2 weeks for the trip but are planning 8-10 days of walking to allow for rest days in any especially interesting villages and possibly a day or two in a city or town not on the camino before returning home.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Specifically, we do NOT want to reach Santiago, so as to save that experience for the completion of a full camino. Our planned timing is May of 2023.
I somewhat get your point, but a full Camino de Santiago is a Camino that ends in Santiago de Compostela, regardless of starting point. If you are talking about something like SJPdP to Santiago as a full Camino, consider that SJPdP is really an arbitrary starting point, and Spaniards consider Roncesvalles to be the start of the Camino Francés. I haven't found the experience of walking into Santiago diminished in any way by the number of previous times that I have walked there.

As far as interesting routes in Portugal go, check out posts by @jungleboy. He and his wife have walked many routes in Portugal that you might like.

Hello, can anyone provide suggestions for an 8-10 day segment on the Camino Portuguese (Central or Coastal or a mix)?
My husband and I are planning this as a trial run of sorts before walking the Camino Frances.

We'll have 2 weeks for the trip but are planning 8-10 days of walking to allow for rest days in any especially interesting villages and possibly a day or two in a city or town not on the camino before returning home.

You might consider doing the coastal from Porto to Vigo. Interesting places to tarry along the way include Viana do Costello, A Guarda and Baiona. From Vigo you can pick up a train to get back to Porto (assuming that's a good starting point for you).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Unless you are thinking of starting somewhere between Lisbon and Porto, it is difficult for me to imagine what your intent is here. I say that, because starting in or after Porto and walking for 8-10 days at between 20-25km/day would bring you very close to Santiago.

Like @trecile, I find the experience of walking into Santiago is no less powerful each time I have done it. I don't understand why you would not want that experience.

If walking the Camino, ie reaching Santiago de Compostela to visit the tomb of the saint, is not your intent here, I would be tempted to characterize what you are planning as a walking holiday, not a pilgrimage. I suspect I have met others who are doing the same thing at different places on my pilgrimages to Santiago, some who more openly admit that than others.

This is a roundabout way of getting to this point. If you want to do this to understand whether or not you want to undertake a longer pilgrimage, plan do it as a pilgrimage from the outset, with the clear intention of walking to Santiago on this or a subsequent time. As a pilgrim, rather than being on walking holiday, you will have a legitimate claim to a credencial and the support of the albergue network, and experience the company of other pilgrims walking with the same intent.

If you think you want to take a holiday afterwards to visit Padron, Muxia, Finistere or some other interesting town you found during your pilgrimage, plan to walk from Vigo or Tui and give yourself time to do that after your Camino.

Last edited:

Hi, I understand what you are wanting to achieve and good on you. Based on my experience on the CP I can highly recommend the coastal from Porto to Vigo or even better yet into Pontevedra. If you can take the Variante Espiritual option as well. Amazing coastal boardwalks, great people, better food options than atypical pilgrims menu. I've made a point of doing different routes each time but I'd do this one again in a heart beat.

I somewhat get your point, but a full Camino de Santiago is a Camino that ends in Santiago de Compostela, regardless of starting point. If you are talking about something like SJPdP to Santiago as a full Camino, consider that SJPdP is really an arbitrary starting point, and Spaniards consider Roncesvalles to be the start of the Camino Francés. I haven't found the experience of walking into Santiago diminished in any way by the number of previous times that I have walked there.

As far as interesting routes in Portugal go, check out posts by @jungleboy. He and his wife have walked many routes in Portugal that you might like.
Thanks for your perspective on Santiago. I'll check out the poster you mentioned.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You might consider doing the coastal from Porto to Vigo. Interesting places to tarry along the way include Viana do Costello, A Guarda and Baiona. From Vigo you can pick up a train to get back to Porto (assuming that's a good starting point for you).
Thank you for the suggestion - this looks like a great option.

Unless you are thinking of starting somewhere between Lisbon and Porto, it is difficult for me to imagine what your intent is here. I say that, because starting in or after Porto and walking for 8-10 days at between 20-25km/day would bring you very close to Santiago.

Like @trecile, I find the experience of walking into Santiago is no less powerful each time I have done it. I don't understand why you would not want that experience.

If walking the Camino, ie reaching Santiago de Compostela to visit the tomb of the saint, is not your intent here, I would be tempted to characterize what you are planning as a walking holiday, not a pilgrimage. I suspect I have met others who are doing the same thing at different places on my pilgrimages to Santiago, some who more openly admit that than others.

This is a roundabout way of getting to this point. If you want to do this to understand whether or not you want to undertake a longer pilgrimage, plan do it as a pilgrimage from the outset, with the clear intention of walking to Santiago on this or a subsequent time. As a pilgrim, rather than being on walking holiday, you will have a legitimate claim to a credencial and the support of the albergue network, and experience the company of other pilgrims walking with the same intent.

If you think you want to take a holiday afterwards to visit Padron, Muxia, Finistere or some other interesting town you found during your pilgrimage, plan to walk from Vigo or Tui and give yourself time to do that after your Camino.
Thanks, @dougfitz. I'll check out the routes from Vigo and Tui. Our goal is to test out our gear/packing list, experience staying in albergues, figure out the pace that is sustainable for us over several days, and try out a travel style where we have not prebooked every night in advance - all to better prepare us for walking a longer distance. Reaching Santiago is not a specific objective for this trip, so yes, perhaps this is more of a walking holiday - but we hope to approach it as we would a future pilgrimage. We're open to walking any part of the Camino Portuguese for this trial run. So far no one has suggested any segment between Lisbon and Porto; I'm wondering if that part is less scenic or less interesting for other reasons.

Hi, I understand what you are wanting to achieve and good on you. Based on my experience on the CP I can highly recommend the coastal from Porto to Vigo or even better yet into Pontevedra. If you can take the Variante Espiritual option as well. Amazing coastal boardwalks, great people, better food options than atypical pilgrims menu. I've made a point of doing different routes each time but I'd do this one again in a heart beat.
Thank you - this is the second suggestion I've gotten for Porto to Vigo. I'll check it out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So far no one has suggested any segment between Lisbon and Porto; I'm wondering if that part is less scenic or less interesting for other reasons
There are some scenic sections between Lisbon and Porto, but there are very few pilgrims compared to the Camino Francés or Porto to Santiago. Also less pilgrim infrastructure. I wouldn't choose the Camino south of Porto for a first timer.

Hello,

We just returned from the CP; it was our first camino and we are both older (60 and 73 years old). We wanted to experience walking and living life more simply.
We started by carrying our back packs and then, a heat wave hit. Our host at a guest house recommended that we get them transferred the next day to our accommodation; this was such a great idea. And yes, after this, we had our bags transferred every day till we reached Santiago.

We started on the coastal route from Porto and from Villa do Conde walked to Arcos to start the inland route all the way to Santiago. I liked walking one day on the coast to experience the ocean and small villages but the inland route has historical sites, villages with old roman roads, streams, cows roaming on the path and lots of birds. Also, some sections are more challenging and therefore, a good way to test your gear.

BTW - you could take the bus or taxi from Villa de Conde to Arcos; its not that nice of walk and instead focus on walking nicer sections of the inland route.

We took two full rest days - Ponte de Lima and Ponteverda - and were delighted with both towns - historical sites, scenic, good food - we chose based on recommendations of forum members.

it took 2 weeks to walk including 2 full rest days from Porto to Santiago at a pace of 20km per day which was right for us. It was a process and it was amazing we achieved it. BTW, when we arrived in Santiago, for us, it was a disappointment. It was crowded with tourists and lots of stores selling camino merchandise. The Cathedral is stunning but our spiritual walk with stops along the way talking to locals, eating oranges given to us by a farmer, discovering new plants and the most magical gift was the fountains along the way.

Hello,

We just returned from the CP; it was our first camino and we are both older (60 and 73 years old). We wanted to experience walking and living life more simply.
We started by carrying our back packs and then, a heat wave hit. Our host at a guest house recommended that we get them transferred the next day to our accommodation; this was such a great idea. And yes, after this, we had our bags transferred every day till we reached Santiago.
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are also older (60 and 65). Though we plan to carry our own packs (and hope to counter our usual tendency to overpack to make it manageable), it's good to know that the luggage transfer is available, even on short notice. I like that your route incorporated some of the coastal route in addition to the central route - I will take a closer look at the details. It sounds like you had an amazing trip!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Well, this is an interesting and unusual request! I understand the principle behind the 'no Santiago' aspect, although as others have already said, multiple arrivals in Santiago doesn't necessarily diminish the experience. Another thing to think about in this regard is: what you are hoping to get out of this first pilgrimage beyond the trial run aspect? Everyone you meet will be going to Santiago - that's the whole point, after all - and if you stop in some random nearby town, that might leave you with mixed feelings; a bit of emptiness, perhaps.

That said, here are a few suggestions in three parts.

Firstly regarding the CP: as @dougfitz said, walking the upper end of 8-10 days is almost enough for the entire CP from Porto as it is, so you don't really need to pick and choose. I've never actually walked the coastal, but ending in Vigo would be a bit of an anticlimax (it's a fairly ugly, modern city). Pontevedra would be a nicer finishing point for either coastal or central, although missing the Variante Espiritual, which starts from there and is my favourite part of the CP, would be a shame.

As for rest days, villages are the heartbeat of the camino in many ways but I would suggest that few really have enough to offer to be worthy of a rest day beyond the time you spent there the afternoon before (being villages, after all). I would certainly spend a few days in Porto at the start, as it's easily the most vibrant place with the most attractions that you will find on this route.

Secondly, I don't know how set you are on the CP specifically but one of my first thoughts is that if you prefer not to arrive in Santiago, why not choose a different camino that doesn't finish in Santiago?

Two options for a 'complete' camino not finishing in Santiago that fit your timeframe are:

- The Camino de Madrid from Madrid to Sahagún (about 13 stages, my highlights here).
- The Portuguese Interior from Viseu to Verín (about 10 stages), if you are set on Portugal.

There are other caminos that could meet these requirements too, although @trecile's advice about not choosing a less-traveled path for a first-timer is also relevant here. Both the routes that I suggested have excellent albergue networks for off-the-beaten track caminos, but they're also routes where a bit of food planning is required and where the language barrier might be an issue if you don't speak Spanish/Portuguese, so they might be a bit daunting for a first-time pilgrim.

Thirdly, another option could be to walk the Rota Vicentina in southwest Portugal (my highlights here), for 10-12 days. This is not a Camino de Santiago but is a beautiful coastal walk that might be a good introduction to long-distance walking. You won't have any pressure of Santiago or not, and it will still prepare you from a physical standpoint for what a camino will be like in terms of the rhythm of the daily walk etc. While there won't be a camino vibe on the RV, in a way, its 'non-camino-ness' would mean that when you eventually walk the CF, even more of it (i.e. the camino aspect) will be new to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Last edited:

Porto is a great place to start and worthy of a couple of days itself. I think the coastal route is great with better scenery, other people may disagree. Just head north and see how far you get. Getting back to Porto for your return flight gives you the opportunity to take the train into Sao Bento station, which is beautiful.

I agree with jungleboy that Pontevedra is a much nicer place to stop than Vigo. Also, assuming you need to return to Porto, you can catch a Spanish train from there to Vigo and then the Portuguese train from Vigo to Porto. Also, if you reach Pontevedra and find yourself with some extra days, you could continue on to do the Spiritual Variant, which starts right outside Pontevedra. Lots of options here so it gets kind of complicated!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

10 days would get you from Porto to Santiago easily on the Central but wouldn't allow for rest day or any other issues you may come across. Similarly its 10 days from Coimbra( Below Porto) to Valenca. I have done both. From Valenca there is a direct train back to Porto. One of the most beautiful experiences I've had on any Camino was walking into Porto across the Dom Luis 1 bridge, looking left all the way out the estuary to the sea. Maybe a train out towards Coimbra and start a stage or two nearer Porto would take all time and stage pressure of you both for your planned Camino. These are just suggestions so whichever route you decide have a wonderful time. Daniel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
10 days would get you from Porto to Santiago easily on the Central but wouldn't allow for rest day or any other issues you may come across. Similarly its 10 days from Coimbra( Below Porto) to Valenca.
Thank you! I will take a look at this.

I understand and appreciate what you are trying to do. My husband and I did a five day trial section of the Camino Frances back in 2019, from Pamplona to Logrono, specifically to see how much training we would need and whether my artificial knee would be up to it. That certainly didn’t diminish any excitement about coming back and doing a “complete” Camino later. The Camino we chose to do was the Camino Portuguese, from Lisbon to Santiago. Unlike many others, I absolutely loved the section from Lisbon to Porto, partly because there were fewer pilgrims, the ones that we did find we grew close to and very much enjoyed our time with. We also found several wonderful places to stop for a day: Coimbra, Tomar and Porto among them.
We walked one day on the coastal route, and that was enough for us, although it was very lovely. More than one day of endless boardwalks was not something that I looked forward to.
Finally, I have to say that Portugal is wonderful, and you won’t regret walking there!

A great suggestion and 1 I fully echo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here would be my suggestion: Start walking in Porto (because better services, more pilgrims from there). See where you end up. The Camino tends to change people. That's why we walk it. Just walk and see where it takes you.

Hello LisaJS. My daughter and I just returned from 16 days in Portugal including a "partial" Camino on the Coastal/Litoral routes. We walked the full French route together in 2013 and then I did the Sarria to Santiago portion in early June with another group so we wanted some Camino in Portugal but didn't plan to go all the way to Santiago. A couple of thoughts about the route we took from Porto to Viana do Castelo: For the most part it was a flat, easy walk. We had boardwalk along the beaches and sidewalks through towns *most* of the way. We loved leaving Porto along the river and walking up through Matosinhos and then continued hugging the coastline as much as possible. We did make reservations ahead but found the luggage transfer didn't work for us and some of our choices of where to stay so we ended up carrying our packs. 72 y/o carrying 18 lb pack = it's possible! We did about 17-18 km a day, staying in Perafita, Vila do Conde, Apulia, Mar and Viana do Castelo before taking the train back to Lisbon. The only difficult place where we couldn't get easy coastline was between Mar and Viana do Castelo. I'll be happy to send you a list of where we stayed if you like.

Other than our Camino time we spent a couple of days in Porto, about 5 days in Lisbon and 3 days in Zambujeira do Mar (a 3 hour bus ride down the coast between Lisbon and the Algarve.) Z do M is a lovely little town with great restaurants and amazing vistas. One day we walked the Rota Vicentina north along the coast and the cliffs for about 12 km. Spectacular.

Enjoy your planning and the anticipation of great adventures ahead. Buen Camino and Bom Caminho.

Hello LisaJS. My daughter and I just returned from 16 days in Portugal including a "partial" Camino on the Coastal/Litoral routes. We walked the full French route together in 2013 and then I did the Sarria to Santiago portion in early June with another group so we wanted some Camino in Portugal but didn't plan to go all the way to Santiago. A couple of thoughts about the route we took from Porto to Viana do Castelo: For the most part it was a flat, easy walk. We had boardwalk along the beaches and sidewalks through towns *most* of the way. We loved leaving Porto along the river and walking up through Matosinhos and then continued hugging the coastline as much as possible. We did make reservations ahead but found the luggage transfer didn't work for us and some of our choices of where to stay so we ended up carrying our packs. 72 y/o carrying 18 lb pack = it's possible! We did about 17-18 km a day, staying in Perafita, Vila do Conde, Apulia, Mar and Viana do Castelo before taking the train back to Lisbon. The only difficult place where we couldn't get easy coastline was between Mar and Viana do Castelo. I'll be happy to send you a list of where we stayed if you like.

Other than our Camino time we spent a couple of days in Porto, about 5 days in Lisbon and 3 days in Zambujeira do Mar (a 3 hour bus ride down the coast between Lisbon and the Algarve.) Z do M is a lovely little town with great restaurants and amazing vistas. One day we walked the Rota Vicentina north along the coast and the cliffs for about 12 km. Spectacular.

Enjoy your planning and the anticipation of great adventures ahead. Buen Camino and Bom Caminho.
Would you be able to post where you stayed here? That would be very helpful as we're thinking of walking from Porto next year. Also can you explain why the baggage transfer didn't work for you as we were hoping to do that. Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We talked with Tuitrans who want an itinerary showing confirmed bookings and will only pick up/deliver at places with full time reception areas - not private residences, bed & breakfast, Air BnB, etc. Maybe others have more flexibility. We were only doing 17-18 km per day so decided to carry our backpacks. Our lodging totaled €448 for 8 nights, or €28/person.

Lodging for Partial Camino on Portuguese Coastal from Porto to Viana do Castelo June 2022. Two people sharing a room or apartment.
LocationNameCostContact/BookingComments
PortoThe Lost InnTwo people in mixed dorm for two nights was €143 or roughly €36 per person per night.Their phone +351 22 208 1469. We booked through HostelWorldNice facility, clean, bunks have curtains for individual privacy, large gathering area and they offer a very reasonably priced breakfast. Excellent location right behind the Cathedral and close to old town restaurants and activities. Staff was great.
PerafitaCasarao ParaisoTwo people twin room with private bath was €58.We booked through Booking.com. Manuela is on WhatsApp 00351 933446305 which is also how you contact her to meet you there.Granted Perafita is not that far from Porto but we started in the afternoon and walked through Matosinhos so it was enough for our first day. Old house with individual bedrooms and a shared, well-stocked kitchen. Very convenient, directly across the street from the beach. Manuela is lovely and offers tiny shots of port to welcome you and toast your Camino.
Vila do CondeYouth HostelPrivate twin room and bath was €56.Also called HI Vila do Conde - Pousada de Juventude. We booked through Agodo.com but it's also on Booking.com and HostelWorldDon't be fooled by "Youth Hostel." Yes, it is, in a beautiful old house that was once the home of artist Sonia Delaunay. A new, modern addition has spacious private rooms like any modern day hotel. Nice breakfast included, served upstairs in the main house where there's space to spread out, read, etc. Very convenient in and out of town.
ApuliaHome of Pilgrims d'ApuliaPrivate double room with bath was €30, totalWe booked through Booking.comPrivate home with 5 (?) bedrooms. We had one with a private bath. Great kitchen with coffee and tea, fruit, wrapped pastries. Cutest little Camino puppy ever. Barked at newcomers then rolled on her back and acted more like a cat. Wasn't the best bed we've ever had, but it's a deal for the price.
MarAirBnB - Patricia's Apt1 BR apt with extra bed and sofa. Cost was $48. (Note - USD)Booked through Air BnBIt's a deal for a whole apt but there's not much else in Mar - a couple of restaurants are primarily open during the day; we got take away from one in the evening. Bar below the apt is primarily coffee. With the windows closed, it's quiet but apt is located on a very busy street so it was noisy all night with windows open. Patricia was very responsive so overall it was fine but not as convenient as other places.
Viana do CasteloAir BnB - "The Blue Angel"Studio apt with Queen bed and sofa. Two nights was $113 (Note USD)Booked through Air BnBVery clean and comfortable apt. Also very convenient. Right in the center of town but very quiet. Just a short walk up to the train station.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back