• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish language courses - Gold Coast, Australia

frasert

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances and Portuguese
Hi all
I am interested in doing a spanish language course in preparation for trip in 2023.
I prefer face to face not online. I am on the Gold coast
Thanks in advance

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try a google search. I did and found a few options, including, as expected, TAFE. Also some private teachers.

@frasert We made the mistake last year of engaging a very pleasant young man who was a well-educated translator/interpreter for private lessons. He did not have any teaching credentials and it turned out to be a very bad fit. I would try to go through a school with teachers who have teaching credentials or look for someone with teaching credentials for private lessons. We have taken lessons both in Spain and now we have a weekly lesson online at home with a certified teacher through a language academy. A much better fit and the language school has books and teaching materials while our free-lancer was trying to make up assignments as he went along (not very successfully though.) Our school offers face-to-face as well as online classes so I would look for something flexible in case you need to go back into an online environment again. If they are doing that now, they will be better at it if forced to disband face-to-face classes.

Hope you will find something you enjoy and that you feel is helpful.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all
I am interested in doing a spanish language course in preparation for trip in 2023.
Thanks in advance
Try searching Tutoroo online. They connect students and teachers. I’m in Perth, Western Australia (originally from Brissy) and have been learning Spanish for about 5 months now with a combination of face to face and online lessons and am very happy with my native Spanish teacher. My adult son has also used their service for a Tagalog teacher and is also very happy with the results. Good Luck

Try watching Spanish shows on Netflix with subtitles turned on.

Hi all
Thanks in advance
I use Duolingo ap and I know the U3A in Australia Fair has a face to face Spanish course...buen Camino Miki Gold Coast

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are several excellent podcasts including those for beginner Spanish. Focus on "conversational spanish" if your intention is to use it on the Camino and that it's Castillian (Spain) Spanish. The advantage of podcasts is it eliminates the stress one on one can create when starting out. The key is finding someone that listens to your needs and is experienced with good lesson plans and gives good feedback during and after the lesson. Many call themselves Spanish teachers but have no lesson plans and expect you to bring lesson ideas to class; or have rigid lesson plans that focus on grammar, structure and verb conjugation because that's what they know to teach; or have only taught intermediate to advanced levels. The most difficult aspect is finding the right teacher for you. I personally used on-line teachers when I started out and then eventually went to schools in Mexico and Spain because I wanted Latin American Spanish and Castillian Spanish. If you want to do intercambios (they learn English and you learn Spanish) I would suggest italki and many others. Don't expect them to be teachers but use it as a practice tool.

Google it and something should emerge. Any school endorsed by the Cervantes Institute is likely to be good. Lack of that does not disqualify other institutions, but it is an indication of a decent level of education. I would also endorse the comment above about using a qualified teacher. I learn languages and have encountered hurdles with unqualified people trying to to teach. (But maybe I just don't learn so fast...)

Just wondering if you found anything that suited you. I tried for a long time to find spanish lessons before my first Camino. To no avail. Neither TAFE or U3A in my area (just north of Sunshine Coast) had anything. I just ended up using Spanish for Dummies in the car. Basically just the first CD and a translator app. Then I just concentrated on 1-100 numbers. Greetings. And simple questions and requests. Then just repeated them over and over and over. To myself. Got me by quite nicely. Now doing the same with Portuguese.
Cheers
Craig

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there. I just completed an 8 week beginners Spanish course at IML - the University of Queensland Institute of modern languages. Course can be on line or face to face. I did online via zoom. It was taught by a Spanish teacher, well organised, catered to the groups needs, provided us with homework, lots of opportunity to practise. I would recommend this course.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back