• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Transfer along CF

Cub

Time of past OR future Camino
CF September 2022
Hi In September this year, I am planning to use a backpack transport service on the CF starting from Logrono and ending in Santiago de Compostella.
Has anyone, a point of view based on experience on the service offered by Correos, PAQ MOCHILA?
Alternatively, what is the experience with private companies such as Jacotrans?
Look forward to reading some practical and recent information on the topic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have only used Jacotrans on the CF with good results. My experience with paqmochilla on a different route (not CF) was not a good one.

Hi In September this year, I am planning to use a backpack transport service on the CF starting from Logrono and ending in Santiago de Compostella.
Has anyone, a point of view based on experience on the service offered by Correos, PAQ MOCHILA?
Ive used Jacotrans and had great service, never felt the need to switch.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cannot vouch for Correos/Paq Mochila.
I used NCS Equipages from Roncesvalles all the way to Santiago and never had any issues. the bag was at the albergue by 2:00pm at the latest (if not sooner)
I think i posted a link to the website in one of previous posts on the topic

My walking companion started using Jacotrans on our walk this spring - my suggestion. Somewhere around Burgos he gave up in frustration with the inability to communicate with them, and switched to Correos (also my suggestion). Correos has a "Best in Class" web interface for booking and managing your daily pickup and delivery locations, and you never have to call anyone. In one case where he misdirected a bag, the email was answered in an hour, and the problem was quickly corrected.

I was surprised about the poor customer interface with Jacotrans, since I know many people have used them with great success. It was fine in the earlier stages, but at some point (you have different numbers to call as you progress along the Frances), he got handed over to a group that simply could not understand what he was saying. Getting a native Spanish speaker to make the daily calls was the only option. I have not heard this complaint before, but as of May this year, Correos was the better choice for someone not fluent in Spanish.

I used the €5 daily service from either jacotrans or NCS for about 3/4 of my CF trip earlier this year. Never had a problem as long as I remembered to phone them the afternoon before once I knew where I wanted my bag delivered. The price may have increased due to the current fuel prices.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I used both Correos and Jacotrans for different stages during my CF this past spring and had great experiences with both.

It was convenient booking and paying for Correos online, but it was sometimes a little difficult finding a Correos tag to mark my pack when I needed one (most albergues and hostals tended only to have tags/envelopes for Jacotrans and other services on hand). I arranged my daily Jacotrans pickups via WhatsApp and never had a problem. On the other hand, Jacotrans service stops after a certain point (Sarria I think?) and as @Rick M says above the service that replaces it can be difficult to communicate with.

Otherwise it's a complete tossup. Both have been doing what they do for a long time and are 100% reliable. Try both and see which you prefer - it may come down to whether you prefer the convenience of booking + paying online, or the relative flexibility that Jacotrans offers.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Cub, thanks for the question. I'm also planning to use a service, and likely will be starting in Logrono in mid September.

I arranged my daily Jacotrans pickups via WhatsApp and never had a problem. On the other hand, Jacotrans service stops after a certain point (Sarria I think?) and as @Rick M says above the service that replaces it can be difficult to communicate with.

As with @Rick M I found this as well. Seems, and I may be wrong, but there are separate Jacotrans operators at different parts of the route. In the section from Palas de Rei, they failed to collect my bag so I was left without luggage in SdC and a flight out the next day. Luckily I have family in Galicia who speak Galego and it was sorted out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had no problems with mochila transport services except for one weird - but potentially very problematic - incident. We sent our packs ahead to a tiny Albergue San Bol, just over a days walk out of Burgos. No problem - they were waiting upon arrival. But Jacotran would not come back the next morning to transport to Castrojeriz! There were 4 of us who needed transport. They said San Bol was too far away from anything. (Granted, it was in an arroyo). They would not budge. The amazing hospitalario came at 8 in the morning and transported our bags to Castrojeriz For us.

I used all three at different times and the service was second to none. But, at least once (and it was very obvious) my pack had been gone through so my advice is use them but do not leave anything of value in your pack. Take a daypack and put valuables, money, cards, documents in that and carry it with you at all times. Never leave it unattended. Cynical I know but this is the world we live in

I am wondering how booking for correos works. I entered the starting point at Valcarlos and ending at Santiago. I was quoted 150 euros per bag. We will walk the route in 36 stages that are more than the normal stages. How do they charge us for the whole route? Is the 150 euros just an initial estimate/deposit until we enter all our stages as we walk? They are charging 7 euros per stage per bag. Will I get a discount for hiring them for the whole route? Thank you for any help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am wondering how booking for correos works. I entered the starting point at Valcarlos and ending at Santiago. I was quoted 150 euros per bag. We will walk the route in 36 stages that are more than the normal stages. How do they charge us for the whole route? Is the 150 euros just an initial estimate/deposit until we enter all our stages as we walk? They are charging 7 euros per stage per bag. Will I get a discount for hiring them for the whole route? Thank you for any help.
I believe that Correos charges you per route regardless of the number of days you take, so yes, that could essentially be a discount for booking the entire route with them in advance.

I haven't used them, but I have read through their site, and you don't have to give them a complete itinerary in advance. They have several options to communicate with them to arrange your daily pick up and delivery.

I used all three at different times and the service was second to none. But, at least once (and it was very obvious) my pack had been gone through so my advice is use them but do not leave anything of value in your pack. Take a daypack and put valuables, money, cards, documents in that and carry it with you at all times. Never leave it unattended. Cynical I know but this is the world we live in
In many locations, the bags are left unattended while the hospitalero does his or her daily chores. Another pilgrim or an outsider could easily access your bag. There is a certain level of trust needed, but I would not leave medication, electronics, documents, or other valuables in my shipped bag.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I believe that Correos charges you per route regardless of the number of days you take, so yes, that could essentially be a discount for booking the entire route with them in advance.

I haven't used them, but I have read through their site, and you don't have to give them a complete itinerary in advance. They have several options to communicate with them to arrange your daily pick up and delivery.
That's certainly how I read it when I looked.

The beginning/end is to work out the cost. Once they know the start point you can book the next day's collection/delivery the day before. You can do it online but you need to print/write the next day's destination on the form they have to attach to your luggage.

Often pilgrims only book a few days ahead so it would be impossible to complete all the sections before leaving so this open system works. Their website has an extensive list of accommodation at each stage but not sure what happens if you use one that is not on their list. Suppose you would need to email them and ask. They respond pretty quickly.

Your belief is correct. My wife used them twice, start to finish. They charge on the total distance you walk, not the number of stages, Oh, they will do a single stage as well, but that costs more. Whether you walk the Frances in 30 days or 45, its the same same rate if you book and pay for the whole distance in advance. They don't care how you do it, or how long you take.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for your replies.
The charge for the whole route is a big discount considering that each stage is 7 euros if booked separately. The earliest starting point is valcarlos so I guess I will have to use Jacotrans from SJPP to Valcarlos.

Thank you all for your replies.
The charge for the whole route is a big discount considering that each stage is 7 euros if booked separately. The earliest starting point is valcarlos so I guess I will have to use Jacotrans from SJPP to Valcarlos.
Or Express Bouricott.

My walking companion started using Jacotrans on our walk this spring - my suggestion. Somewhere around Burgos he gave up in frustration with the inability to communicate with them, and switched to Correos (also my suggestion). Correos has a "Best in Class" web interface for booking and managing your daily pickup and delivery locations, and you never have to call anyone. In one case where he misdirected a bag, the email was answered in an hour, and the problem was quickly corrected.

I was surprised about the poor customer interface with Jacotrans, since I know many people have used them with great success. It was fine in the earlier stages, but at some point (you have different numbers to call as you progress along the Frances), he got handed over to a group that simply could not understand what he was saying. Getting a native Spanish speaker to make the daily calls was the only option. I have not heard this complaint before, but as of May this year, Correos was the better choice for someone not fluent in Spanish.
I completed the CF in June and will gladly endorse the Correos solution over JACOTRANS which required a daily phone call (I did have limited success contacting them on WHATSAPP when they did not answer the phone.) The Correos solution is (https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/rucksack-transfer) is delightful compared to my experience with Jaco.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only company I have seen in all albergues is Jacotrans. Very reliable. Make sure to call them the day before and tell them where you are sending your pack. The albergues provide you with envelopes to put on your pack.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.