• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NEW ALBERGUES on the Olvidado 2022

omicko

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances,
May 1999 and others.
CILLERUELO DE BEZANA

Good News at last. Fantastic Albergue. Commercial Kitchen.Large dining room. Tv lounge.Decent size bedrooms with bunkbeds. Goods size modern bathrooms. Outside space to relax do washing etcetera. Decent size bedrooms with bunkbeds and BEST of all the beds already made up with clean sheets all for €15.
Mick.
D28524BB-1E6F-46D1-93E1-10365491DF47.jpegD28524BB-1E6F-46D1-93E1-10365491DF47.jpeg

Attachments

• 07851F30-C5C8-4BEE-B067-9626ECCBD3B6.jpeg
    07851F30-C5C8-4BEE-B067-9626ECCBD3B6.jpeg
    990.8 KB · Views: 31
  • E7F8CC7C-1780-4348-93EA-11F571E150DC.jpeg
    E7F8CC7C-1780-4348-93EA-11F571E150DC.jpeg
    749.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 546FCE9E-A513-4867-ACD9-31476356F073.jpeg
    546FCE9E-A513-4867-ACD9-31476356F073.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 28
  • F1165628-E9B1-4580-9837-CBE2E5247F56.jpeg
    F1165628-E9B1-4580-9837-CBE2E5247F56.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 27
  • 3F9B61C8-5E59-473B-B383-B2955FA7FCA2.jpeg
    3F9B61C8-5E59-473B-B383-B2955FA7FCA2.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 31
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is very good news! Looks like a great spot, @omicko.

Just looking at the location and the stages, it looks like this is about 17 km from Santelices (where the train station albergue closed, correct?). That means 8 to Arija (where camping is now closed to peregrinos), and then 32 more to Olea. For most peregrinos, 40 km is too many, so there has to be a stopping place in between for most people.

In our Olvidado planning thread, done during the heydays of covid isolation, we came up with this idea —
There is one hotel in Arroyo, about 11 km from Arija. If you stopped short of Arija on the previous day, by staying in Cilleruelo de Bezana, the Hostal La Lobera in Arroyo might be a good choice. It would be a 21 km day from Cilleruelo to Arroyo. From Arroyo to Olea the next day would be about 20 km.

Looks like little by little, the choices are increasing!

Just looking at the location and the stages, it looks like this is about 17 km from Santelices (where the train station albergue closed, correct?). That means 8 to Arija (where camping is now closed to peregrinos), and then 32 more to Olea. For most peregrinos, 40 km is too many, so there has to be a stopping place in between for most people.

In our Olvidado planning thread, done during the heydays of covid isolation, we came up with this idea —
There is one hotel in Arroyo, about 11 km from Arija. If you stopped short of Arija on the previous day, by staying in Cilleruelo de Bezana, the Hostal La Lobera in Arroyo might be a good choice. It would be a 21 km day from Cilleruelo to Arroyo. From Arroyo to Olea the next day would be about 20 km.

Yes Laurie the Albergue in Santelices is closed. In Cilleruelo de Bezana there are two hostels one €30 per night the other €32 per night -no breakfast. The €30 hostel was three years ago €15 per night.Now we also have the super duper Albergue for €15 per night.

The story about CAMPING EL PLAYA DE ARIJA not allowing pilgrims to stay there in the cabins Is because the pilgrims complained about the distance from their cabins to the shower block. 🤪No this is not a sketch from Monty Pythons, the owner told me this. For a couple of minutes I had to suck up to him then he changed his mind and let me stay there.Whether they will change their nonsensical policy I don’t know but it’s worth giving it a try even if you can’t speak any Spanish by acting tired and being very calm with your passport and €15 in your hand. I have a feeling he won’t turn down the €15.
In Arroyo the HOTEL LA LOBERA is €50 per night with breakfast. The owner Pillar told me she has put the hotel up for sale.
There is now a NEW BAR called BARMACIA. It is open 12 till 3 and 5 to 11 Tuesday till Sunday it is closed on Mondays.
There is now also an Albergue called Cantabria Aventura but don’t build your hopes up this is only for large groups of people. Overall it is a very positive step forward.
Until next time Peeps, Mick.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

So the much loved spot in Arija is la Pineda for €25 with good breakfast and beach access in front. It was booked out so I missed it. I went to the camping and the father and son were both lovely... Considering I 'crucify' the few words of Spanish that I have. They are gentle folk. I asked the son for a blanket. It was €30 the day before, but for me €25 and I agree with Omicko (or MICK, Mick, Mick, as I had so many Spanish folk, correct my pronunciation to the Irish Slang version ironically). Most recently was Begonia just before Posada 2 or 3km from Fashgar where a new arrow incorrectly redirects you onto road. Apparently this arrow, went up recently and may be due to a farmer, not wanting folks on the small roads. Just stick to GPS and make your way avoiding the road.
Back to Olea. Taking the mountain route, is now really well signposted. I'll try and attach an image. The last town before Olea, has very helpful folk and the church was open. Eventually, I dived into the remote bus shelter from the heat and dived in front of the next passing car, and they stopped and dropped me at casa rural. It was 40 degrees. (I have not seen rain since arriving in early July, and rare clouds.) Apologies, for all the random info, but on a hot day, it is possible in Cisterna and Bonar, to hop on Feve, for a few stops, and cut 5km off a stage. Could save your life with this heat.

So the much loved spot in Arija is la Pineda for €25 with good breakfast and beach access in front. It was booked out so I missed it. I went to the camping and the father and son were both lovely... Considering I 'crucify' the few words of Spanish that I have. They are gentle folk. I asked the son for a blanket. It was €30 the day before, but for me €25 and I agree with Omicko (or MICK, Mick, Mick, as I had so many Spanish folk, correct my pronunciation to the Irish Slang version ironically). Most recently was Begonia just before Posada 2 or 3km from Fashgar where a new arrow incorrectly redirects you onto road. Apparently this arrow, went up recently and may be due to a farmer, not wanting folks on the small roads. Just stick to GPS and make your way avoiding the road.
Back to Olea. Taking the mountain route, is now really well signposted. I'll try and attach an image. The last town before Olea, has very helpful folk and the church was open. Eventually, I dived into the remote bus shelter from the heat and dived in front of the next passing car, and they stopped and dropped me at casa rural. It was 40 degrees. (I have not seen rain since arriving in early July, and rare clouds.) Apologies, for all the random info, but on a hot day, it is possible in Cisterna and Bonar, to hop on Feve, for a few stops, and cut 5km off a stage. Could save your life with this heat.
Apologies... So scatty.. (soon to Dx ADHD)! Once I get myself to focus on adding info here, I then get overwhelmed with info that I want to stay. I have made myself add all of the places I stayed below on paper. O Micko list is super helpful and if you like, Mick you can add the new Puente Almuhey, New Fasgar, new Congosto and new Cabanas Rares. 🤗 I have photos of the above if anyone wants them. Thank you all for your help. Jose (the 'Jose') is now walking from Balmaseda today and Facebook Camino Olvidado is a good resource. Recently Mariella, and Stephano put up accurate info, and just now walking 'home' to France again from Fatima, is wonderful Jacque, and he is posting daily on a Gr65 Le Puy Facebook group and the Cam Olv Facebook group. He is now in Iquena tonight, and appears overwhelmed with the kindness and openness of the Cam Olv, as he moves up to Bilbao. His reports are wonderful and I know Cam Olv will be the perfect way to walk back. Omicko, I passed on your Pdf to Jacque. 😉

Attachments

• July 2022 Cam Olv ACS.pdf
    548.6 KB · Views: 30
The story about CAMPING EL PLAYA DE ARIJA not allowing pilgrims to stay there in the cabins Is because the pilgrims complained about the distance from their cabins to the shower block.
I can’t imagine this was a constant complaint, but maybe the owner got fed up with a couple of people who then almost ruined it for everyone! This should serve as a reminder to any pilgrim who walks the Olvidado and wants to stay in Arija — be VERY nice to the owner of the camping site! Showing him lots of forum love is likely to have a good result.
There is now also an Albergue called Cantabria Aventura but don’t build your hopes up this is only for large groups of people. Overall it is a very positive step forward.
Where is this albergue, omicko?

I agree with you that things are picking up. Cuñarro has been walking the Olvidado but I don’t use Facebook much. And I have been on a no-forum-vacation! Have you seen his posts? I’m sure he will have lots of good info for us to spread on the forum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can’t imagine this was a constant complaint, but maybe the owner got fed up with a couple of people who then almost ruined it for everyone! This should serve as a reminder to any pilgrim who walks the Olvidado and wants to stay in Arija — be VERY nice to the owner of the camping site! Showing him lots of forum love is likely to have a good result.

I agree with you that things are picking up. Cuñarro has been walking the Olvidado but I don’t use Facebook much. And I have been on a no-forum-vacation! Have you seen his posts? I’m sure he will have lots of good info for us to spread on the forum.
I arrived at wonderful Olea and LOS ACOS with Angelina, and at the same time a car turned up. A peregrino has planned in staying on albergue adventura without booking... And then was too tired to continue walking (it was one of those very hot days), and a lady from there drove the pilgrim to Olea. Olea with Angelina is an incredible casa rural, not to be missed.

I arrived at wonderful Olea and LOS ACOS with Angelina, and at the same time a car turned up. A peregrino has planned in staying on albergue adventura without booking... And then was too tired to continue walking (it was one of those very hot days), and a lady from there drove the pilgrim to Olea. Olea with Angelina is an incredible casa rural, not to be missed.
Hi, AshireGal,

I don’t think I know anything about Los Acos in Olea. I stayed in Casa Miguel. Ender’s guide also lists Los Eros. This is a casa rural that typically only rents the whole house but I believe also rents individual rooms. Is this perhaps the same place?

Hi, AshireGal,

I don’t think I know anything about Los Acos in Olea. I stayed in Casa Miguel. Ender’s guide also lists Los Eros. This is a casa rural that typically only rents the whole house but I believe also rents individual rooms. Is this perhaps the same place?
Oh no... Angela and her husband are along the lines of Isabel and Aldolfo. Sure the casa which has 2 parts, may be rented out, as this time I stayed in the other apartment .. but you still get a guided tour of this incredible house... And a choice of rooms, and I wish I spoke Spanish as so many of the artifacts are by Angelina's hand. We had the use of washing machine... She even prepared a meal at short notice, put the line up for the clothes and gives you hours of her time. It is quiet extraordinary. The neighbours call in to chat. The rooms are 5 star ... Like I'm not joking. {I left the other option, as lots of hair in bed and dead flies everywhere (everywhere), smoke and a very strange atmosphere... It could have been just a bad day, or maybe the men there were not living there ...as I see other good reviews. I think I forced Angelina to take 35, but I had dinner, breakfast and washing machine and line dry and 4 poster bed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Well Laurie I’ll bring to your attention that the new bar BARMACIA in Arroyo is the only bar between Arija and Olea and is a very welcome option after approximately 11 km after leaving Arija.Yes things are looking up.
The Albergue Cantabria Aventura is next to the bar.You can’t miss it on your way into the village on your left hand side.When I was there a large group of teenagers with a teacher were leaving. I spoke to the owner of the Albergue and he told me it is only for groups.Cheers, Mick.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back