• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Senda Litoral from Esposende north??

debbiedem

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2022 Coastal Route, Portugal
The 2022 Brierley book says the Senda Litoral from Esposende is for experienced hikers as there is no way over the estuary at Foz de Neiva and no waymarks from Ponte de Neiva to PR13. My destination for this particular day of walking is Amorosa. I am wondering if the boardwalks are done. Or if I should follow the coastal route for part of the day before cutting over to Amorosa. And where to turn back to ocean? thanks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am heading out on the Portuguese coastal tomorrow. I don't have Brierley and have never quite understood whether the Litoral is one continuous path or just an occasional diversion from the coastal, which is the way Gronze presents it. My idea, based on a quick perusal of Gronze, was to mostly follow the coastal and to take the Litoral at two places: from Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Âncora, and from A Ramallosa to Vigo.

The 2022 Brierley book says the Senda Litoral from Esposende is for experienced hikers as there is no way over the estuary at Foz de Neiva and no waymarks from Ponte de Neiva to PR13. My destination for this particular day of walking is Amorosa. I am wondering if the boardwalks are done. Or if I should follow the coastal route for part of the day before cutting over to Amorosa. And where to turn back to ocean? thanks.
Yes you can follow the litoral after leaving Esposende passing some pretty breathtaking coastal areas/beaches etc like around Belinho that will take you inland to cross the River Neiva at Ponte Sebastiao where it joins the official Coastal Way. From there you turn left and follow the roads until you reach the coast again then on to Amorosa. Easy to do despite the absence of signage with commin sense, Google Maps and GPS. I would recommend you study Luis Freixo's Blog www.caminador.es Here's the link to your stage in mind http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/CAP03.x2.pdf

@jungleboy it certainly is a separate Camíno I call it the Shoreline route. The work of Luis Freixo, his Blog should be the bible for pilgrims as its free and in all formats.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes you can follow the litoral after leaving Esposende passing some pretty breathtaking coastal areas/beaches etc like around Belinho that will take you inland to cross the River Neiva at Ponte Sebastiao where it joins the official Coastal Way. From there you turn left and follow the roads until you reach the coast again then on to Amorosa. Easy to do despite the absence of signage with commin sense, Google Maps and GPS. I would recommend you study Luis Freixo's Blog www.caminador.es Here's the link to your stage in mind http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/CAP03.x2.pdf

@jungleboy it certainly is a separate Camíno I call it the Shoreline route. The work of Luis Freixo, his Blog should be the bible for pilgrims as its free and in all formats.
Is this the site?

You can find maps to both on Camino ninja to help you decide where to go. I'm not an experienced hiker and did find. I did need my no he map as the signage is not good on the literal.

I am heading out on the Portuguese coastal tomorrow. I don't have Brierley and have never quite understood whether the Litoral is one continuous path or just an occasional diversion from the coastal, which is the way Gronze presents it. My idea, based on a quick perusal of Gronze, was to mostly follow the coastal and to take the Litoral at two places: from Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Âncora, and from A Ramallosa to Vigo.
The Litoral is a continuous path, usually meeting up with the Coastal at “stage” beginnings/ends. I walked it in 2019 and found Freixo’s maps to be invaluable for planning and while on the camino used Maps.me to assist in any route-finding (there were a few stretches where the Litoral route or boardwalks hadn’t yet been completed).

i loved being by the sea and couldn’t imagine leaving it to walk the inland Coastal route!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Check Open Street Map (OSM). OSM shows the Ecovia do Litoral Norte which is further towards the coast than the Coastal.

Quite often the "official" route is just a melange of other routes superimposed upon others - or vice versa.

Seems you can follow the coast on quite smooth tracks over that section according to OSM.

Last edited:
Buen Camino @jungleboy! I understand the Senda Litoral, more as being a diversion, on most days, but not all. Often times it is the same path as the Coastal! And I may be the only person in the world who has a hard time reading Freixo's maps! He portrays so many merging and diverging paths, that I was more confused than what the maps were supposed to clarify!

I did the the Senda Litoral in most instances when there was a reasonable choice, and I will tell you that it is marked pretty well, most of the time. I do update my GPS tracks, and you may want to see my website to see how I felt was the best way to do this "diversion." Have a wonderful time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino @jungleboy! I understand the Senda Litoral, more as being a diversion, on most days, but not all. Often times it is the same path as the Coastal! And I may be the only person in the world who has a hard time reading Freixo's maps! He portrays so many merging and diverging paths, that I was more confused than what the maps were supposed to clarify!

I did the the Senda Litoral in most instances when there was a reasonable choice, and I will tell you that it is marked pretty well, most of the time. I do update my GPS tracks, and you may want to see my website to see how I felt was the best way to do this "diversion." Have a wonderful time!
Luis has plotted all the different caminos and other routes as some pilgrims are adventurous and don't just stick to an official camino. He also has maps in all the different formats like pdf, Google Maps and wikiloc...If you have GPS with wikiloc it's impossible to be confused as you can see your position in real time in relation to the Camino.

Luis has plotted all the different caminos and other routes as some pilgrims are adventurous and don't just stick to an official camino. He also has maps in all the different formats like pdf, Google Maps and wikiloc...If you have GPS with wikiloc it's impossible to be confused as you can see your position in real time in relation to the Camino.
I guess I wasn't clear. Indeed I would never get lost with GPS tracks. I was referring to actually reading the map, and trying to determine which route was which, i.e. which is the Senda Litoral, if I wanted to stick specifically to that route and that route alone.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back