• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning for Camino Frances April 2023 - How cold is it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It cán be nice in April but .... I was a hospitalera in the first two weeks of April this year: snow knee-high, temperatures -7 degrees C, freezing cold winds in the Pyrenees, many pilgrims arrived totally undercooled, especially those who thought walking over the mountain in non-waterresistant shoes was a good idea.
We have no blankets in Roncesvalles for hygienic reasons (washing +200 blankets every day/week is impossible) so take a sleeping bag with you, be sure your shoes are waterresistant and clothe yourselve in layers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Blankets seem to be making a comeback on the Camino but April is really difficicult month to judge. March I would definitely be bringing a lightweight sleeping bag, late April I might risk just a silk liner. It depends if you feel the cold or not at night.

Post number 2 offers an excellent word to start the ball rolling! That is followed by experienced voices.
Depends on what you mean. how cold is too cold for you? And even if we could predict that far ahead, weather, wonderful weather, can confound us unannounced... there are charts to be found online with average temperatures for pretty well anywhere on the globe. I would love to give a simple direct answer, but that does not exist. Read up all you can and then make up your own mind what it will mean for you in your choice of clothing. And, buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there, we are planning to walk the Camino Frances in April 2023, and wondering how cold it was and if there are blankets in the Hostels.
Thanks.
no one can tell you what the weather is like in April 23. I have almost always run in the second half of April - first half of May and have had everything, 2 weeks of rain, but also 4 weeks without a drop from above. So you should be prepared for everything. I always have a 600g light sleeping bag with me and above all, you can't rely on all hostels having (clean?) blankets ready.

I walked Burgos to Astorga this April. I found the Meseta delightful. Some mornings I saw frost. Faster walkers who passed me said there was snow on the Camino. I saw it on the mountains nearby. Beautiful! By mid morning walking temperatures were ideal. But one or two nights in unheated albergues I wore my light down jacket in bed -- under my very light sleeping bag. I live in Alaska and used to winter camp a lot. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You never know why you will get on any given year. I was glad for my sleeping bag the first half of April, by the third week blankets or just a down blanket was plenty.

It cán be nice in April but .... I was a hospitalera in the first two weeks of April this year: snow knee-high, temperatures -7 degrees C, freezing cold winds in the Pyrenees, many pilgrims arrived totally undercooled, especially those who thought walking over the mountain in non-waterresistant shoes was a good idea.
We have no blankets in Roncesvalles for hygienic reasons (washing +200 blankets every day/week is impossible) so take a sleeping bag with you, be sure your shoes are waterresistant and clothe yourselve in layers.
Hi there, we are planning to walk the Camino Frances in April 2023, and wondering how cold it was and if there are blankets in the Hostels.
Thanks.
Eylandters,
April 2023 is a long way weather wise, but I can tell you my experience in April 2022 , I was in SJPP on April 25/26th , the two most beautiful sunny warm days in SJPP and the Pyrenees ,much warmer than when I left home for Paris , but April 27/28th were totally opposite in the Pyrenees .it was raining , fog so think you can cut with a knife. A miserable day, at times you could not see in that fog more than 10 feet on the paved road .
But then it get better after Roncesvalles.

May 21st /2022 I walked from Bercianos del Real Camino to Mansilla de Las MULLAS , it was so hot and humid to walk in the hot sun, ( 35c in the afternoon )

On May 25th I left Astorga for Foncebedon , cool morning around 7 am and my hands were so cold, I could not hold my poles tight to walk with them till around 10.30/11 am when sun start to wam up,

On June 1st/2022 , while walking from Sarria to Portomarin and it rains so heavy and so much ( My first and only rainy day on the Camino, inside Spain) somewhere in the middle that I was soaked /drenched from head to toes. There was no place to hide,
so all kind of weather is possible on the Way.
Just grin and wear it.
You will forget the hard and difficult days ,
but please don’t forget to enjoy what pleasant things comes on your Way,
(my two cents)
Buen Camino pilgrim. 🇨🇦

Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks everyone for your input and thoughtful replies. We live in Northern Australia, and aren’t used to the cold, so your input has given us plenty to think about. Much appreciated. Cheers.
Are you Cairns?

Thanks.
Hello! I walked from Lorca to Villafranca Monte de Ocas this past April and was FREEZING at night. Spoiled American here, used to heat at night! I had silk liner and lightweight down blanket and wore my long johns to bed. Some days it got up to 70 but most nights it was cold. I had to get private rooms a few nights just ao I could sleep! I hate being cold. But, going back next April to do my next leg of my journey! Layers are your best bet!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Eylandters,
April 2023 is a long way weather wise, but I can tell you my experience in April 2022 , I was in SJPP on April 25/26th , the two most beautiful sunny warm days in SJPP and the Pyrenees ,much warmer than when I left home for Paris , but April 27/28th were totally opposite in the Pyrenees .it was raining , fog so think you can cut with a knife. A miserable day, at times you could not see in that fog more than 10 feet on the paved road .
But then it get better after Roncesvalles.

May 21st /2022 I walked from Bercianos del Real Camino to Mansilla de Las MULLAS , it was so hot and humid to walk in the hot sun, ( 35c in the afternoon )

On May 25th I left Astorga for Foncebedon , cool morning around 7 am and my hands were so cold, I could not hold my poles tight to walk with them till around 10.30/11 am when sun start to wam up,

On June 1st/2022 , while walking from Sarria to Portomarin and it rains so heavy and so much ( My first and only rainy day on the Camino, inside Spain) somewhere in the middle that I was soaked /drenched from head to toes. There was no place to hide,
so all kind of weather is possible on the Way.
Just grin and wear it.
You will forget the hard and difficult days ,
but please don’t forget to enjoy what pleasant things comes on your Way,
(my two cents)
Buen Camino pilgrim. 🇨🇦
Thanks for the detail in your reply, it was very helpful and enlightening.
It would appear there is a lot of variation in the weather along the route.
We’re looking forward to the walk and the experience of walking with others. Thanks again.

Thanks.
We started our walk from St Johns PDP the last week in April 2017. The route over the Pyrenees had only just opened up the day before we set off. Early morning it was around freezing but we made it to Roncevalles just before a snowstorm hit. That day many pilgrims has to be taken off the mountains by police/ mountain rescue. For the next week it was very cold in the mornings when we set off but warmed up fairly quickly. So I think it’s been said already “unpredictable” you need to be prepared for bad weather. Bearing in mind you do want to keep your pack weight to an absolute minimum if you have extra clothing for the cold starts you can always discard or post back home what you no longer need. We carried a sleeping bag and a lightweight bag liner/sheet and used these several times during our 40 days walking. Be prepared and enjoy. Bon camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks everyone for your input and thoughtful replies. We live in Northern Australia, and aren’t used to the cold, so your input has given us plenty to think about. Much appreciated. Cheers.
If you live there then I would say you will find it cold. I remember meeting a girl from Darwin in Pamplona in July many years ago who was wearing a parka due to her feeling the cold, while the rest of us were wearing t-shirts!

If you live there then I would say you will find it cold. I remember meeting a girl from Darwin in Pamplona in July many years ago who was wearing a parka due to her feeling the cold, while the rest of us were wearing t-shirtsI may

I may live in Cairns but I bloody well hate the heat! My last trip was to Iceland - I travelled from pretty much 1100% humidity and 38'C in our monsoon season to -7'C in Iceland. It was brilliant! I can't wait for the nip in the air. We had winter this year... I think is was a Tuesday in June...?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you live there then I would say you will find it cold. I remember meeting a girl from Darwin in Pamplona in July many years ago who was wearing a parka due to her feeling the cold, while the rest of us were wearing t-shirts!
Hey that’s pretty funny!! That’s also true here in the winter months, where you can tell who’s the local, as they’re the one with the parka and the southern tourist is wearing the t-shirt. I think we’re going to feel the cold, hence we’re packing a lightweight doona. Cheers.

I may live in Cairns but I bloody well hate the heat! My last trip was to Iceland - I travelled from pretty much 1100% humidity and 38'C in our monsoon season to -7'C in Iceland. It was brilliant! I can't wait for the nip in the air. We had winter this year... I think is was a Tuesday in June...?
No, I think it was Wednesday in July🤣🤣

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Am in cairns also and planning to start on 3 April 2023 from SJPDP
We’re a couple planning to leave SJPDP mid April 2023. We’re doing a lot of reading and starting to look at what we pack and how we train and prepare ourselves etc. It’s our first pilgrimage walk and while excited, a little apprehensive.
How’s your planning going? If you’d like to catch up over a coffee, let us know, as we’d be keen to chat to hear your thoughts etc.
cheers,
Marty and

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We’re a couple planning to leave SJPDP mid April 2023. We’re doing a lot of reading and starting to look at what we pack and how we train and prepare ourselves etc. It’s our first pilgrimage walk and while excited, a little apprehensive.
How’s your planning going? If you’d like to catch up over a coffee, let us know, as we’d be keen to chat to hear your thoughts etc.
cheers,
Marty and
Hi there. Sorry just saw this. Helena has been in contact and I am keen to catch up

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back