• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs & getting rid of gear

Jas_LB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Aug-Sept 2022
Last few kilometres on the Frances route to Santiago, but excitement dampened because I came across bed bugs at an albergue at Triacastella (saw it with my own eyes and flattened it, was full of blood). Two days afterwards my arms/ hands/ neck/ shoulders/ back are covered in bites/ welts.

I’ve machine washed and machine dried almost all my gear (including backpack, poncho etc). It seems that new bumps are still coming up, through these could be previous bites that Im only just reacting to… not sure.

I could find threads on what people did once they’ve suffered from bed bugs on the Camino. Do you get rid of all your gear (I don’t want to bring the bugs home)? Is it brought to machcine wash and dry all your gear? Thought he and suggestions greatly appreciated!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also, unless you are particularly attached to any of that gear, I'd get rid of all the soft stuff.
And if not that, DO NOT TAKE IT INSIDE YOUR HOUSE.
Undress in the garage and put it directly into the washer/dryer or a black garbage bag.
I had one client who spent over $4000 getting rid of the bedbugs she carried into her house.
It's just not worth it - and don't put your backpack in your car if you're still getting bites.
Have whomever picks you up at the airport bring a LARGE black plastic bag to wrap it up in until you get it home.

Personally I would wash AND dry everything in hot hot water.
And then I'd spray the hell out of it.
You can find bug spray at hardware stores and sometimes markets.

I'm so sorry but the minute I saw bedbug sign I would have left that place.
Just not worth it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also, unless you are particularly attached to any of that gear, I'd get rid of all the soft stuff.
Undress in the garage and put it directly into the washer/dryer or a black garbage bag.
I had one client who spent over $4000 getting rid of the bedbugs she carried into her house.
It's just not worth it - and don't put your backpack in your car if you're still getting bites.
Have whomever picks you up at the airport bring a LARGE black plastic bag to wrap it up in until you get it home.

Just not worth it.

Thank you - yes, I’m leaning towards getting rid of the clothes… most things really, possibly also my backpack. But I don’t want to get rid of the shoes, I’m sort of attached to them now 😞 (will need to be careful as you suggested).

First encounter with bed bugs and I hate them sooo much. The havoc they wreck is unbelievable.

Thank you - yes, I’m leaning towards getting rid of the clothes… most things really, possibly also my backpack. But I don’t want to get rid of the shoes, I’m sort of attached to them now 😞 (will need to be careful as you suggested).

First encounter with bed bugs and I hate them sooo much. The havoc they wreck is unbelievable.
Freezing also kills bedbugs, so if you have the capability of putting your shoes in a bag (I'd add a spray) and putting them in a freezer for a few days, I'd do that. Good luck!

Honestly, you can treat your gear on the trail and you don't have to get rid of anything.

After a half hour in a hot dryer any bugs and eggs will be dead. It's not necessary to wash the clothes first - it's the hot dryer that does the trick.

You can put anything that can't go into the dryer inside a plastic garbage bag and either spray insecticide in the bag and seal it up for a few hours, or on a warm sunny day seal it up and set it outside where it can get good and hot inside the bag for a few hours.

I've seen crawling bed bugs in my room on the Camino and have been bitten too, but after following these procedures have not brought any bugs into my home.

No need to panic!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As others have said, it is entirely possible to treat most of your things without much difficulty. However, it does require some management as you don't want to mix treated things with untreated. You need to isolate them! That (in addition to weight) is why I like to minimize my belongings and keep them organized.

I’m so sorry you’ve had this experience @Jas_LB, those of us who react badly to bedbugs know exactly how horrible it can be.
I go out and buy myself a cheap new outfit first (have the shop seal it in a plastic bag). Take it into the shower and have a long hot shower and wash myself, including hair, using plenty of soap. In my clean outfit I find a laundromat and put everything that won’t melt, dry, into a large commercial dryer for 30 minutes, including merino, silk and down. I use an insecticide spray on anything that can’t take the heat. Carefully. I’ve never found any bugs after that.

On returning home everything goes into a seal tight plastic bag before being put in the car, then straight into a chest deep freezer which my spouse one year bought specifically for this purpose when I’d alerted him on my way home.

I’ve managed to avoid bedbugs on the last four or five caminos. Before leaving home my pack, sleeping bag and clothes (undies excluded) get the Permethrin treatment. I segregate my things in dry bags inside my pack and carry an extra large pack liner dry bag into which I put my whole pack each night.

Mrs HtD got rid of my clothes; and every scrap of fabric on me the one time I arrived home with tales of bedbugs. If it happened again, it would happen again.

A recent thread suggests that a microwave might provide a solution; although anybody suggesting that to Mrs HtD would have to be rather more brave than I.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My conclusion from the microwave thread was that it would only work on small items that contain no metal.
Yes, Could be quite useful for a few items. I generally use the freezer for several days (I have tested the temperature in the freezer of my regular two-door refrigerator, and it does reach -17C.) However, if you are desperate to look at your credential, guidebook and other papers right away, you could pop them into the microwave. Somewhere it was mentioned that this has been effectively used by libraries. However, I wouldn't put my passport in there - I'm not sure how the holograms, etc., would react.

Yes, Could be quite useful for a few items. I generally use the freezer for several days (I have tested the temperature in the freezer of my regular two-door refrigerator, and it does reach -17C.) However, if you are desperate to look at your credential, guidebook and other papers right away, you could pop them into the microwave. Somewhere it was mentioned that this has been effectively used by libraries. However, I wouldn't put my passport in there - I'm not sure how the holograms, etc., would react.
Thank you, I have forgotten about p
Apparently bed bug eggs look like grains of rice and are visible to the naked eye. I’ll inspect my passport carefully for eggs, but yes, I won’t be popping it into a microwave. Maybe the freezer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Honestly, you can treat your gear on the trail and you don't have to get rid of anything.

After a half hour in a hot dryer any bugs and eggs will be dead. It's not necessary to wash the clothes first - it's the hot dryer that does the trick.

No need to panic!

I’ve zapped most of my gear in a very hot dryer yesterday (albergue had one that reached 150 degrees… apparently).

But will also take the advice of buying new clothes, and then zapping absolutely everything else into a very hot dryer when I get to Santiago.

Thank you, I have forgotten about p

Apparently bed bug eggs look like grains of rice and are visible to the naked eye. I’ll inspect my passport carefully for eggs, but yes, I won’t be popping it into a microwave. Maybe the freezer.
Don't put passport in freezer, the chip may in this case, may not take to being frozen, just saying...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Freezing also kills bedbugs, so if you have the capability of putting your shoes in a bag (I'd add a spray) and putting them in a freezer for a few days, I'd do that. Good luck!
I guess those experiments we did in Jr. High with frogs have me wondering if they come back to life when they thaw out?!

It should be pretty easy to examine a passport to see if there are bed bugs or their eggs in it. They are not microscopic.
But the eggs are very tiny. I'd probably just wipe each page with something.
I'm just paranoid about those things.
They get into the seams of your clothes, they hide under the tongue of your shoes.
:::itching::: scratching::: they creep me out! lol!

I have to say I have never had bedbugs.
However, my poor little brother, now deceased, got them staying in a cheap pay-by-the-week hotel and I was scared to death he would bring them into my elderly mother's home. They just ate him alive, and he couldn't get rid of them because even if he cleaned HIS place, they'd come in from other rooms.

I also know you can't really get too upset with MOST hospitaleros - I know one who (literally) took all the bunk beds out into the yards, threw away the mattresses, BLOWTORCHED the metal frames, put all new mattresses on the frames, and within one week, he was infested again. All it takes is one irresponsible (or ignorant) pilgrim to pass them all along the Way again. And my gosh, with things so busy, it's bound to be an issue.

On the OTHER hand, there are two albergues where I refuse to sleep because when I informed the management I found bedbugs, they shrugged as they continued to check pilgrims in. THAT is irresponsible. Down the road, when I asked every person who had bedbugs where they'd slept in this particular town, guess what...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last few kilometres on the Frances route to Santiago, but excitement dampened because I came across bed bugs at an albergue at Triacastella (saw it with my own eyes and flattened it, was full of blood). Two days afterwards my arms/ hands/ neck/ shoulders/ back are covered in bites/ welts.

I’ve machine washed and machine dried almost all my gear (including backpack, poncho etc). It seems that new bumps are still coming up, through these could be previous bites that Im only just reacting to… not sure.

I could find threads on what people did once they’ve suffered from bed bugs on the Camino. Do you get rid of all your gear (I don’t want to bring the bugs home)? Is it brought to machcine wash and dry all your gear? Thought he and suggestions greatly appreciated!
If you are covered in bites I would see a doctor. It's unusual to be covered with bed bug bites.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't waste your time and money washing your things it is the heat that kills the bugs.
Think the deal was many years ago when i walked the francis was you had to but everthing into a plastic bag tie it tight and the heat killed them but im sure things have come on since. Prior to my walks i always use a treatment Pyrethrins and pyrethroids got it off a well known website and kept a small bottle in my ruck just in case

Think the deal was many years ago when i walked the francis was you had to but everthing into a plastic bag tie it tight and the heat killed them but im sure things have come on since. Prior to my walks i always use a treatment Pyrethrins and pyrethroids got it off a well known website and kept a small bottle in my ruck just in case
On warm days it's still an option to put things that can't go into a hot dryer in a black plastic trash bag, seal it and set it in the sun for a few hours.

It's good to pre-treat your gear at home with permethrin, but you shouldn't be spraying it anywhere in albergues. It is toxic while wet, but safe when the treated fabric has dried.

Also, permethrin is not a deterrent, nor will it kill bed bugs on contact. Instead, it kills them over a period of hours when they are in contact with a permethrin treated surface. That's why I treat my sleep sack, the inside of my backpack and my cloth stuff sacks with permethrin. I figure that if they get into my gear that they aren't coming out alive.

Here's a video that shows bed bugs in contact with a permethrin treated surface.

Honestly, you can treat your gear on the trail and you don't have to get rid of anyth

You can put anything that can't go into the dryer inside a plastic garbage bag and either spray insecticide in the bag and seal it up for a few hours, or on a warm sunny day seal it up and set it outside where it can get good and hot inside the bag for a few hours.

I've seen crawling bed bugs in my room on the Camino and have been bitten too, but after following these procedures have not brought any bugs into my home.

No need to panic!
You can more than likely expect to find more if you're following somebody else or those people that stayed previous to you in that albergue.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are covered in bites I would see a doctor. It's unusual to be covered with bed bug bites.
It was a bit of an over reaction on my part, it’s just felt so bad that’s why. It’s actually around the arms/ shoulders/ hands and some on the neck and a few on the side of my face. But it felt so super itchy.

The other two ‘Camino sisters’ I travel with have some bites, but nowhere near as bad as mine. I figured it’s because I’m already prone to eczema / psoriasis, so my reaction to the bites is so much worse.

I’m using my cortisone cream on the bites, but no big effect. The bites are starting to settle now, it takes about 5 days for the swelling to start settling down. I’m guessing it will take weeks for the marks to completely go though.

Bed bugs are hard to get rid of. My daughter brought them back from a skiing trip and it took months and a lot of money to be really sure they had all gone. That was because they got into her flat and took hold before she realised. Freezer is best. 4 days at under -18C. Some tumble dryers are not hot enough and don’t all have heat controls. If they dry slowly that may not reach every corner of your clothing at a high enough temperature. That’s true of washing too. Steam is good but same issue. Many bugs are resistant to chemical treatment. I’ve always been surprised reading here that people manage to fairly easily deal with bugs with a shake down and a hot dryer and that more people don’t bring them home. I didn’t see any on my Camino. But I checked all the beds and never put my rucksack on a bed or the floor. Don’t want to spoil anyones trip but it is best to be careful as they can be hard to get rid of. I don’t think a few hours in a black bag in the sun is enough. But I’m probably tainted by my daughters experience. She had to pay professional bug people twice to get rid of them from her flat. This is not just a Camino issue. Any accommodation can have bed bugs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I am sorry to read this we also had two nights of beds bugs.. called Santiago ways and they said there wasn’t anything they could do. Tried not to let it dampen our spirits.

I am sorry to read this we also had two nights of beds bugs.. called Santiago ways and they said there wasn’t anything they could do. Tried not to let it dampen our spirits.
Where were you, i.e. what hotels etc.? What camino route were you on? I am about to start the Portuguese Camino Oct 3 with Santiago Ways. It would be helpful to have a warning.
Thank you.

Where were you, i.e. what hotels etc.? What camino route were you on? I am about to start the Portuguese Camino Oct 3 with Santiago Ways. It would be helpful to have a warning.
Thank you.
Any hotel, hostel or albergue can be free if bed bugs one day and have them the next. All it takes is one person bringing them in.

There are countless threads in the forum with information about how to recognize signs of beds bugs.
Click the "bed bugs" tag at the top of this thread to find them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I won’t repeat suggestions of gear treatment.
But in my experience the paranoia experienced as a result is equally as terrible as the initial event and lasts longer and unfortunately time is the only treatment for that.

It sounds like you already acted quickly and did the right things so positive thoughts that you should be fine.

Re treating the itchiness, corticosteroid cream did nothing for me. So I use the hot spoon method. I’m not sure how evidence based it is but it worked for me and I react terribly to BB bites. Google it and give it a go. I added an antihistamine tablet too but check with a medical professional to make sure you’re ok to take them if they’re not something you usually take.

Just not worth it.
This was what my Camino Daughter and I did when she discovered bed bugs on arrival at Astorga. The staff at the municipal albergue where great. They gave us our own room and help with the washing and HOT drying. I was able to buy a very strong insect spray and treated both our backpacks - inside and out. As for treating the bites themselves most chemists/farmacy will sell you a cream that releaves the itching etc. Cheers

Cortisone didn't do much for me either when I encountered some bed bugs on the CF last month, but I went into a farmacia and said "chinche de cama" and they gave me a cream of some sort (I forget the active ingredient) which worked well enough. Holding an ice cube on it can provide some temporary relief.

Definitely agree with everyone above recommending heat treatment. FWIW I ran my Osprey backpack through on low for 90 minutes and it wasn't damaged at all if you're concerned about that.

You can buy new clothes to wear while heat treating your stuff or you can just sit in the albergue common area in a towel, which is what I did in Palas de Rei. :p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm just paranoid about those things.
But in my experience the paranoia experienced as a result is equally as terrible as the initial event and lasts longer and unfortunately time is the only treatment for that.
Actually, being aware of the paranoia but not giving in to it is the best cure, and that doesn't take time so much as attention and discipline.
Getting a grip is underrated.
Bedbugs are awfully unpleasant, but can be effectively dealt with - without panicking and throwing everything out or dousing your gear and yourself with toxic chemicals.
Here's a video that shows bed bugs in contact with a permethrin treated surface.
And you want to sleep in this stuff? And wear it? No thanks.
Just be vigilant and follow the good advice here about prevention.

I’ve zapped most of my gear in a very hot dryer yesterday (albergue had one that reached 150 degrees… apparently).

But will also take the advice of buying new clothes, and then zapping absolutely everything else into a very hot dryer when I get to Santiag

On warm days it's still an option to put things that can't go into a hot dryer in a black plastic trash bag, seal it and set it in the sun for a few hours.

It's good to pre-treat your gear at home with permethrin, but you shouldn't be spraying it anywhere in albergues. It is toxic while wet, but safe when the treated fabric has dried.

Also, permethrin is not a deterrent, nor will it kill bed bugs on contact. Instead, it kills them over a period of hours when they are in contact with a permethrin treated surface. That's why I treat my sleep sack, the inside of my backpack and my cloth stuff sacks with permethrin. I figure that if they get into my gear that they aren't coming out alive.

Prevention better than cure thank you for that explanation always treat gear at home in a well ventilated dry area and externally on trail mucho gratious

It is miserable. Take antihistamines. Check seams and crevices of gear for eggs or hiding creatures.
Shake out all your gear, put in hot sun in black plastic bag, which you have sprayed out with bug spray. Hot wash and drier 60 degrees. Take soles out of shoes, shake out, inspect and spray.
Make sure your pack and gear are in sealed plastic bag for drive home from airport, so they don't get into the car. When you get home. Get undressed outside if you can, put stuff into plastic bag and into a chest freezer for a few days or straight into hot wash.
Good to be careful, because if they get into your home you are in deep trouble.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is miserable. Take antihistamines. Check seams and crevices of gear for eggs or hiding creatures.
Shake out all your gear, put in hot sun in black plastic bag, which you have sprayed out with bug spray. Hot wash and drier 60 degrees. Take soles out of shoes, shake out, inspect and spray.
Make sure your pack and gear are in sealed plastic bag for drive home from airport, so they don't get into the car. When you get home. Get undressed outside if you can, put stuff into plastic bag and into a chest freezer for a few days or straight into hot wash.
Good to be careful, because if they get into your home you are in deep trouble.
This is so right

I got a bad case of bedbugs walking to Rome, I washed all my kit then put all my kit including rucksack in a tumble for 45 minutes and bought some bed bug spray in a large aerosol, I then put all my kit in a bin liner then sprayed the spray into bin liner and sealed it tight.I then sprayed my rucksack thoroughly in every pocket and all over. Believe me that killed the little swines. Do not panic when new bumps come up I had the same problem .

Hey fellow peregrino,
My sincerest thoughts for what I know is an unforeseen and stressful situation. My bedbug experience happened early on, despite my treating every article of clothing and pack with permethrin. I woke up to an itchy track of bites on my posterior neck and head as well as along my arms. So, while I watched my fellow trekkers embark on their day, I stood in the albergue laundry room feeding the dryer with more and more coins for more and more drying cycles.
I had no further issues along the rest of my Camino after that point. Heat, heat, heat and more heat and you should be well.
And always remember, The Camino Provides!

Buen Camino!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My bedbug experience happened early on, despite my treating every article of clothing and pack with permethrin.
From my post #23 above - and watch the video in that post
permethrin is not a deterrent, nor will it kill bed bugs on contact. Instead, it kills them over a period of hours when they are in contact with a permethrin treated surface. That's why I treat my sleep sack, the inside of my backpack and my cloth stuff sacks with permethrin. I figure that if they get into my gear that they aren't coming out alive.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also had encountered bedbugs twice on Camino Francis. What I did was wash the entire contents of my backpack, then sprayed my backpack with chinchos spray from the ferreteria (hardware store) which got rid of them. I also sprayed my passport and other things that couldn’t be washed. I also had to get an antihistamine from the farmacia because my welts swelled up fierce, but my partner didn’t seem to get bites but he must have and just didn’t react to them like I did. I had to do this twice which wasn’t fun, but, necessary. We toured Normandy for 10 days afterwards, and didn’t have any other experiences with them so were grateful we didn’t have any hitchhikers in France or back in Canada.

I had good luck with pack ,shoes rain gear by putting them in a black garbage bag , inflated , tied shut and left in the bright sun for a couple hours. The bag was very hot to the touch by the time I opened it . You could put anything ( except phone )in the bag if you want . Sometimes a Spanish electric dryer is not that hot

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back