• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vodafone a nightmare

Ronald Boivin

Time of past OR future Camino
On getting to Almería to do the Camino Mozarabe, I purchased a Vodafone SIM card for my iPhone 4. I was charged 40€ even though my receipt only showed 20€. Three days later, when my phone did not work properly, I realize got scammed out of 20€ cash by the clerk at Vodafone. Reported it to police but they could do nothing. I could NOT access telephone signal on many occasions during my first three weeks in the camino which put me at risk. I went to Vodafone in Grenada And Córdoba and No competent clerk could help fix the problem. I could not recharge the card online! I spent another 20€ for a total of 6O € for three weeks casi-service. finally in Merida I got a Digit mobile SIM card which works fine.
Vodafone is not made to access service in rural areas not in the city if Grenada.

In speaking to locals, they often smiled saying “Now you know about Vodafone,

I should have bought Moviestar SIM card I stead in Almería

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh my, you are having a rough trot. First the credit card problems and then Vodafone not working.
Personally, in 3 Caminos I have never had a problem with either Visa or Mastercard, and my Vodafone is perfect - especially the great value international roaming, and it works everywhere (unlike at home!).
When you are a foreign roaming customer you have access to more networks than with a local sim so usually you will get better coverage, at a price.

On getting to Almería to do the Camino Mozarabe, I purchased a Vodafone SIM card for my iPhone 4. I was charged 40€ even though my receipt only showed 20€. Three days later, when my phone did not work properly, I realize got scammed out of 20€ cash by the clerk at Vodafone. Reported it to police but they could do nothing. I could NOT access telephone signal on many occasions during my first three weeks in the camino which put me at risk. I went to Vodafone in Grenada And Córdoba and No competent clerk could help fix the problem. I could not recharge the card online! I spent another 20€ for a total of 6O € for three weeks casi-service. finally in Merida I got a Digit mobile SIM card which works fine.
Vodafone is not made to access service in rural areas not in the city if Grenada.

In speaking to locals, they often smiled saying “Now you know about Vodafone,

I should have bought Moviestar SIM card I stead in Almería
Had a 2 month, 4 total cards used, no problem whatsoever in Spain, Portugal and France .. and covered all rural areas including much of LaMancha, over the Pyrenees, southern most Portugal... 4 because we had two phones and I was buying the 1 month cards... Not saying anything disparaging .. just saying it's not an "always and everytime" thing ..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have had good coverage so far with Vodafone. I did initially have issues with 2 step verification with my bank when booking ahead with my travel card as I was using a Spanish SIM card and a Spanish number that had to be changed with the bank (a major issue). This was resolved once I had the correct mobile number and no prefixes with the number. I found a Vodafone shop in Bilbao - the staff was not interested in helping me so I located another Vodafone shop and had a great experience with the staff member at this shop. With Google translate we discovered what we needed to do to rectify the problem.

Oh my, you are having a rough trot. First the credit card problems and then Vodafone not working.
Personally, in 3 Caminos I have never had a problem with either Visa or Mastercard, and my Vodafone is perfect - especially the great value international roaming, and it works everywhere (unlike at home!).
We just finished our Camino (last 100km from Lugo) last September. We are from Canada and had no issue using our credit cards (issued also by Scotiabank) in Portugal and Spain. We also had no issue with Vodafone. We bought 20€ SIM card from Porto airport. It worked well in Portugal, Spain and Gibraltar. I hope that you have a better luck in your next Camino. It's been an amazing experience for us.

Not wishing to go off on a tangent, but...........

You are using an iPhone 4?

That is a 12 year old phone and was designed to operate on the 3G network as far as I know.

Very few carriers still maintain 3G networks. Most are using 4G and often 5G
Not sure if Vodafone in Spain still have 3G.....

Though this site shows a bit of 3G coverage still......
Looks like 4G mostly. Maybe that's part of the problem?

I could be wrong. I'm not very techie..... :rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is a 12 year old phone and was designed to operate on the 3G network as far as I know.
I think you are right - most of Spain is on 4g-5g now, and older phones simply won't connect to the network, even with a valid SIM and credits.

Obviously getting charged $40 for $20 credits is awful, but I wonder if putting the SIM in a newer phone would actually work.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.