• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ten days on the camino, but where to start?

JanusDT

Time of past OR future Camino
Vezelay
Hey all,

Barely on month ago I returned from my camino (Limoges to SdC) and I already suffer from nostalgia. It was an amazing experience. Especially since I am back home I notice what it did for me.

Thus, I am already planning my next one. This time I want to take my girlfriend with me to share the experience with her. Due to work constraints, however, we only have ten days to walk (perhaps 11 if we start walking on the day we arrive). I would like to ask you guys for some suggestions regarding where to start. We are planning to go in april/may but we are open to other date-suggestions.

A few considerations:
- It is not necessary to finish in Santiago (I rather avoid the way from Sarria, as the last 100km were the least enjoyable for be).
- We are both in our 20s and in good shape.
- The social aspect is not really a factor since we will mainly enjoy each other's company. On the other hand we also don't mind the company of other travellers.
- We would like a scenic magical route (I know.. they all are)
- My girlfriend is vegan and I am vegetarian.

I am curious to hear your suggestions! Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you like big walking days, you could do the Camino Primitivo in 10 days. It joins up with the CF at Melide, but the rest of it is gorgeous. Or you could do the last 100km of the Camino Portugués, from Vigo say, and do the Variante Espiritual for some scenic magic.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you like big walking days, you could do the Camino Primitivo in 10 days. It joins up with the CF at Melide, but the rest of it is gorgeous. Or you could do the last 100km of the Camino Portugués, from Vigo say, and do the Variante Espiritual for some scenic magic.
I concur with mazzarina's suggestion no. 2. The Camino Portugués from Vigo, including the Variante Espiritual, gives you a nice package, scenery-wise. Nothing there not to like, except maybe Vigo itself (which is a large industrial city). But once you leave Vigo you've got a nice stretch along the hillsides of the Vigo estuary to Redondela.

Don't blame you for not wanting her to suffer the Sarria to Santiago "experience".
10 days? Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago gets you a Compostella; then turn around and walk Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre and get two more "Son of the Compostella" s. Beautiuful walk with no crowds.

Primitivo to Lugo is also nice...but not easy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would suggest doing the Camino Portuguese starting at Tui or Valenca which would allow a few rest days and you wouldn't have to worry over hitting long km targets
I found that section of the CP to be the most scenic
Good luck with your choice!

Hey all,

Barely on month ago I returned from my camino (Limoges to SdC) and I already suffer from nostalgia. It was an amazing experience. Especially since I am back home I notice what it did for me.

Thus, I am already planning my next one. This time I want to take my girlfriend with me to share the experience with her. Due to work constraints, however, we only have ten days to walk (perhaps 11 if we start walking on the day we arrive). I would like to ask you guys for some suggestions regarding where to start. We are planning to go in april/may but we are open to other date-suggestions.

A few considerations:
- It is not necessary to finish in Santiago (I rather avoid the way from Sarria, as the last 100km were the least enjoyable for be).
- The social aspect is not really a factor since we will mainly enjoy each other's company. On the other hand we also don't mind the company of other travellers.

Having just completed the Camino Mozárabe from Almería to Granada, I can thoroughly recommend it for scenery and some challenging hills and steep descents. The people of Andalucia are a hardy stock that will warm your heart. You'll also be getting to know parts of Almería's historic old towns and villages before entering Granada and crossing the "Badlands" of cave jouses, once inhabited by Troglodytes, that are now much sort after by locals and foreigners alike.
Alternatively, the section from Granada to Córdoba could coincide with the arrival of cherry blossom season and the famous "balcony floral displays". That part of the Camino Mozárabe route, so I've been told, is less extreme in terms of mountain passes and steep hill walking, compared to the Almería to Granada section.
The first option has 9 stages, or possibly 10 if you break up the penultimate stage with a detour stopover in Roncón de Quéntar. The second option has 8 stages, giving you a bit more time to explore both Granada at the start and Córdoba at the finish.
If you go for any of these, please be sure to contact the Association of the Camino Mozárabe before starting. They are a treasure and font of information to anyone barking on any part, or all of, the Camino Mozárabe route.
Whichever one you do, buen Camino.

Don't blame you for not wanting her to suffer the Sarria to Santiago "experience".
10 days? Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago gets you a Compostella; then turn around and walk Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre and get two more "Son of the Compostella" s. Beautiuful walk with no crowds.

Primitivo to Lugo is also nice...but not easy!
Would you elaborate by what you mean Suffering the Sarria to Santiago experience? I’m days away from Sarria🥴

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would you elaborate by what you mean Suffering the Sarria to Santiago experience? I’m days away from Sarria🥴
The crowds, both on foot and on two wheels. Never bothered me, but after the easternmost part of the Camino, some are unhappy. Probably 5-6 times as many people, but more chances to talk to those who can’t take a month off…Buen Camino

watching this. Have to same question. With the vegan issue. Vegetarian would totally be possible. You must already know that! Vegan wow
I have walked almost 200 days on camino in Spain/Portugal as a vegan. Some quick tips are:

- self-cater for lunch by stocking up at stores (e.g. making sandwiches filled with things like tomatoes, avocados, hummus, smoked tofu or vuna (vegan tuna) where you can find it)
- use HappyCow to find restaurants that are veg-friendly
- learn a bit about the cuisine and use that knowledge to suggest ideas at restaurants where they may not have anything vegan on the menu (e.g. in Spain ask for things like parrillada de verduras (grilled vegetables) or paella de verduras rather than hoping they will whip up a Thai-style tofu coconut curry)

For 10 days, start somewhere south of Ourense. Walk to Ourense, have a day off in the thermal springs, carry on and finish. I have majorly simplified this. It kind of depends on your walking speed, goals, etc. I like to walk, watch and I don't spend a lot of time stopping, so from Ourense to Santiago is probably a 3-4 day excursion.

But if you want magical, the day from Ourense to Cea, take the Canedo route, maybe stop at the therms before you go up the really steep hill just outside the city (therms are down a road on the left and signposted Termas do Muíño da Veiga on google maps). Dip your feet in the hot pool or just have a sneaky 30 mins before the slog begins. The hill you will be going up after this is steep and too long. That day of walking, I saw no one camino related, just three council workers while walking through a forest section. It was overgrown, trees blocking the path, just proper out there level, absolutely brilliant. The second day was just as good between Dozon and Lalin. Then the old stone bridge in between Lalin and Bandeira, would not have looked out of place on the set of Lord of the Rings. Brilliant route, just don't sleep on the floor in the corridor at the municipal in Dozon.

In fact between Ourense and Santiago is easily 10x better than walking from Sarria. Far less people, I even walked with a Spanish family that were doing it during a school holiday. Saw wolves in the wild, for the first time in my life. On the Sarria route, it's just touristy. The only wolves you will come across are the local deaf charity workers looking to fleece pilgrims.

Alternatively, walk from Ourense to Santiago, then out to Muxia and Finisterre. That would also give you a 10 day walk.

As for being Vegan/Vegetarian, it can't be any harder to plan than having severe food allergies and walking across a country full of food that can kill you.

Go to shops, buy food that fits your diet and eat it as you travel. Big cities and maybe towns will probably have Vegan shops and possibly cafes. Fruit and veg is easily available everywhere. Trail mix is sold pretty much everywhere and would meet the nuts and seeds aspect. I'm neither a vegan or vegetarian. But it is probably massively easier to manage both of those than to walk and eat only 7 foods for your entire journey. ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Another vote for walking the Sanabres and starting at some point south of Ourense. I walked the Via de la Plata and Sanabres in January and February this year. I'm 60 years old and have arthritis in my knees but still found it a hugely enjoyable experience. If you have a good idea of the daily distances you would like to walk the Godesalco VdlP planner will help you decide on daily stages. If you can manage an average of 25km per day then starting in Puebla de Sanabria would give you some beautiful and challenging mountain scenery as well as the chance to sample the thermal springs in Ourense that @Pathfinder075 and I would both recommend! :)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I will definitely consider all of them while planning my route:)

Last edited:
Hey all,

A few considerations:

Have you considered any of the chemin in France?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey all,

A few considerations:

You could give a thought to starting at Oloron Ste Marie in France on the Chemin d' Arles and after crossing the Pyrenees at Somport following the Aragonés to Puente la Reina. It is at least as historical as the route via St Jean Pied de Port, it has beautiful and very varied scenery, there are other pilgrims but not too many, and there is a good infrastructure. Plus, it is fairly accessible from the Netherlands.

I really really liked Ourense to SDC. I liked the whole of the Via, and the Sanabrés, but given the time constraints starting at Ourense makes sense.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
after crossing the Pyrenees at Somport following the Aragonés to Puente la Reina. It is at least as historical as the route via St Jean Pied de Port, it has beautiful and very varied scenery, there are other pilgrims but not too many, and there is a good infrastructure.
I am kinda doing parts of the Aragones in reverse “by accident” and it has been super wonderful! Sunrise over Alto del Perdon (before a tour bus dropped off 50 tourists at 8.30am!), Pamplona is so lovely, then I went to Foz de Lumbier and when walking back I saw Camino arrows! Currently in Jaca and loving it…. Doing a non-Camino route tomorrow but if I have time afterwards may visit Somport too… so I think that will definitely be my next Camino 🐶

For 10 days, start somewhere south of Ourense. Walk to Ourense, have a day off in the thermal springs, carry on and finish. I have majorly simplified this. It kind of depends on your walking speed, goals, etc. I like to walk, watch and I don't spend a lot of time stopping, so from Ourense to Santiago is probably a 3-4 day excursion.

But if you want magical, the day from Ourense to Cea, take the Canedo route, maybe stop at the therms before you go up the really steep hill just outside the city (therms are down a road on the left and signposted Termas do Muíño da Veiga on google maps). Dip your feet in the hot pool or just have a sneaky 30 mins before the slog begins. The hill you will be going up after this is steep and too long. That day of walking, I saw no one camino related, just three council workers while walking through a forest section. It was overgrown, trees blocking the path, just proper out there level, absolutely brilliant. The second day was just as good between Dozon and Lalin. Then the old stone bridge in between Lalin and Bandeira, would not have looked out of place on the set of Lord of the Rings. Brilliant route, just don't sleep on the floor in the corridor at the municipal in Dozon.

In fact between Ourense and Santiago is easily 10x better than walking from Sarria. Far less people, I even walked with a Spanish family that were doing it during a school holiday. Saw wolves in the wild, for the first time in my life. On the Sarria route, it's just touristy. The only wolves you will come across are the local deaf charity workers looking to fleece pilgrims.

Alternatively, walk from Ourense to Santiago, then out to Muxia and Finisterre. That would also give you a 10 day walk.

As for being Vegan/Vegetarian, it can't be any harder to plan than having severe food allergies and walking across a country full of food that can kill you.

Go to shops, buy food that fits your diet and eat it as you travel. Big cities and maybe towns will probably have Vegan shops and possibly cafes. Fruit and veg is easily available everywhere. Trail mix is sold pretty much everywhere and would meet the nuts and seeds aspect. I'm neither a vegan or vegetarian. But it is probably massively easier to manage both of those than to walk and eat only 7 foods for your entire journey. ;)
I found Ourense to Cea a NW trek...what am I missing. The route you describe sounds wonderful but not seeing on a map. What is good way to find a map of the Canedo route?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found Ourense to Cea a NW trek...what am I missing. The route you describe sounds wonderful but not seeing on a map. What is good way to find a map of the Canedo route?
When I got to the albergue (which used to be at the top of the hill next to a Museum) in Ourense, the guy on the desk gave me a map of that section of the VdlP. I will freely admit I had no clue where I was going the next morning. I must have spent an hour just trying to find the way out. I knew the way i wanted to go (and the one another pilgrim had told me was interesting) was long the river and then up a steep hill. He told me to follow the river path until i found a set of rock pool therms. I had actually spent a day in them the year before with my parents and with that info and the map I managed to find the right road. I tried to make a small map to give you a better idea.

canedo-route.jpg

Basically, follow the road up a hill past some industrial units possibly steel works or similar, then down the other side until you find a tunnel under the railway lines, you have to walk through and it's very narrow, barely wide enough for a car. Then you will find a stupidly long and steep road on the other side. I don't know how long it is, but it's at least 500m I would have thought from the bridge to the top. When you get up to the crossroads at the top, you will find a tap and a camino shell. beyond that just keep going straight. The shells are around, but at times you will wonder if you are on the right road.

It was on that next bit that I found something that made me a bit uneasy at the time. Lots of big signs saying "camino pilgrims go this way" down a path through a field. This was like a year or two after Denise was killed and I realised I was in the middle of nowhere seeing signs saying to go somewhere I didn't feel happy going and I just disregarded it. i think in hindsight it was the actual route, but the amount of signs saying to turn right down this track put me at great unease and i ended up going completely cross country further on to rejoin the Camino. Besides that it was really cool. Ideally you would walk this route with others. It isn't used a lot, the path was overgrown in a lot of places when you are walking through the forests. Once you get to Cea it's pretty mainstream walking.

I intend to re-walk it next year as it was possibly the best Camino day i had that year. Kind of like the first time you walk from Astorga to Ponferrada and feel that almost exhilarating feeling of trekking over mountains. Those days from Ourense were that and more. One thing to mention, I was told that Oseira Monastery had to be booked in advance, so i didn't go there. If you plan to head there from Ourense you might need to ring them and book a bed maybe a day or two before. But one of the other members might know better on that topic.

[Edit] I went and looked up the length of that hill from the railway tracks, it's actually 2.1km long and you will ascend close to 300m while walking up it. Now I know why I had to stop every 200m to get my breath. :D

Last edited:
When I got to the albergue (which used to be at the top of the hill next to a Museum) in Ourense, the guy on the desk gave me a map of that section of the VdlP. I will freely admit I had no clue where I was going the next morning. I must have spent an hour just trying to find the way out. I knew the way i wanted to go (and the one another pilgrim had told me was interesting) was long the river and then up a steep hill. He told me to follow the river path until i found a set of rock pool therms. I had actually spent a day in them the year before with my parents and with that info and the map I managed to find the right road. I tried to make a small map to give you a better idea.

View attachment 135578

Basically, follow the road up a hill past some industrial units possibly steel works or similar, then down the other side until you find a tunnel under the railway lines, you have to walk through and it's very narrow, barely wide enough for a car. Then you will find a stupidly long and steep road on the other side. I don't know how long it is, but it's at least 500m I would have thought from the bridge to the top. When you get up to the crossroads at the top, you will find a tap and a camino shell. beyond that just keep going straight. The shells are around, but at times you will wonder if you are on the right road.

It was on that next bit that I found something that made me a bit uneasy at the time. Lots of big signs saying "camino pilgrims go this way" down a path through a field. This was like a year or two after Denise was killed and I realised I was in the middle of nowhere seeing signs saying to go somewhere I didn't feel happy going and I just disregarded it. i think in hindsight it was the actual route, but the amount of signs saying to turn right down this track put me at great unease and i ended up going completely cross country further on to rejoin the Camino. Besides that it was really cool. Ideally you would walk this route with others. It isn't used a lot, the path was overgrown in a lot of places when you are walking through the forests. Once you get to Cea it's pretty mainstream walking.

I intend to re-walk it next year as it was possibly the best Camino day i had that year. Kind of like the first time you walk from Astorga to Ponferrada and feel that almost exhilarating feeling of trekking over mountains. Those days from Ourense were that and more. One thing to mention, I was told that Oseira Monastery had to be booked in advance, so i didn't go there. If you plan to head there from Ourense you might need to ring them and book a bed maybe a day or two before. But one of the other members might know better on that topic.

[Edit] I went and looked up the length of that hill from the railway tracks, it's actually 2.1km long and you will ascend close to 300m while walking up it. Now I know why I had to stop every 200m to get my breath. :D
Wow…details to keep. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey all,

A few considerations:

You might consider the Via Francigena, starting at Col Saint Bernard or at Lucca and heading south from there (all roads lead to Rome....). You will get 10 stunning days from either starting point.

A decision has been made! Namely, we will start de camino Portugues central route from Ponte de Lima and take the spiritual way from Pontevedra. 172 km so it should give us some extra days to rest or take it slow.

Thanks all for the nice suggestions that were very useful for my next camino or the camino's that will follow;)

A decision has been made! Namely, we will start de camino Portugues central route from Ponte de Lima and take the spiritual way from Pontevedra. 172 km so it should give us some extra days to rest or take it slow.

Thanks all for the nice suggestions that were very useful for my next camino or the camino's that will follow;)
Sounds fantastic! Very best wishes for the preparations and the journey itself.
And thanks for starting a great thread, which I've bookmarked as there are so many useful suggestions for future planning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No'one's mentioned the Invierno! Ponferrada to Santiago, the less travelled way. It's perfect for 10 days if you're in shape - and a really fantastic walk.
Thank you for the suggestion! Last time when I walked the CF I seriously concidered to switch to Invierno whilst approaching ponferrada. I chose to continue on the CF but I want to walk the Invierno one day.

Since it will be my girlfriends first ever serious camino or even hike, I figured this time it´s better to pick a camino that´s a bit easier with more infrastructure.

Hey all,

A few considerations:

I walked the Primitivo in 11 days. and loved it. No rest days. Rugged and less traveled You could just walk from Oviedo to Melide where the CF joins the "Original Way"

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey all,

A few considerations:

I loved the Primitivo. You could easily do Oviedo to Melide. It is spectacular and not overrun, but advisable to book ahead.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back