• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inglés: Coruña or Ferrol? No compostela needed

design4life

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2014-18 Kumano Kodo 2019 Portu 2022 Inglés 2023
Hola fellow peregrinos, I've enjoyed four Caminos (Francés and Portugués) over the past decade. Next spring I'll spend several weeks in Andalucía (including Semana Santa,) then head to my beloved Galicia to stay with a friend in A Coruña, and then I thought I'd walk the Inglés. I don't need a Compostela so either Coruña or Ferrol route works; all I really want to do is enjoy the Galician countryside after a month of cities. A peaceful, bucolic landscape is what the doctor orders. :) And some modification for a maximum of 20km a day. Which route do you recommend? (Most people walk from Ferrol, and Betanzos sounds lovely, but I'd love to hear from some Coruña fans.) Thanks!!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola fellow peregrinos, I've enjoyed four Caminos (Francés and Portugués) over the past decade. Next spring I'll spend several weeks in Andalucía (including Semana Santa,) then head to my beloved Galicia to stay with a friend in A Coruña, and then I thought I'd walk along the Inglés for about 5-6 days. I don't need a Compostela so either route works. All I really want to do is enjoy the Galician countryside. Of course, I prefer dirt roads but don't mind pavement; mainly I want to avoid city walking, because I have so little time and will have stayed in cities for the previous month. I walk a max of 20k a day. Suggestions?
Yes, watch the weather forecast! Dirt roads may be mud if your timing isn't right. My husband spent a month in Galicia one year and all his friends told him an umbrella, rain gear, and boots were necessary. They were correct. His apartment was on the Camino and he watched rain battered pilgrims trudging to the cathedral regularly!

Yes, watch the weather forecast! Dirt roads may be mud if your timing isn't right. My husband spent a month in Galicia one year and all his friends told him an umbrella, rain gear, and boots were necessary. They were correct. His apartment was on the Camino and he watched rain battered pilgrims trudging to the cathedral regularly!
You are so right! I've spent several weeks in rainy Galicia so I always have my Altus AND a rain jacket, and I like that my Hoka Speedgoats grip even wet pavement and dry overnight.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello @design4life, you will love this walk on the Camino Inglés from A Coruña. The first stage to Sergude is just under 20 km, but it is strenuous and steep. You could divide this stage by stopping in Culleredo after 12 km at the one restaurant/accommodation called La Explanada/Pensión La Paz. Or just push through to Sergude, the full 20 km. It is beautiful countryside.

The second (or third) stage is from Sergude to Hospital de Bruma (Mesón do Vento) and is about 13 km. You can walk farther, but since you have the time, why? If you want to go another 5 or 7 km, there are two accommodations that you can see on my day seven on my website, the first is a hotel, a ways off route, the second a Casa Rural in A Rúa.

The third (or fourth) stage is traditionally from Hospital de Bruma to Sigüeiro, about 24 km, but if you look at my website, you could shorten this stage, but the best option is perhaps to lengthen the stage from Sergude. Or just do this stage in two sections.

The final stage (4th, 5th or 6th) is from Sigüeiro to Santiago, about 16 km.

You can see much more info on my website, on how to plan this. Good luck and Buen Camino!
Elle

Hi there and yes I can highly recommend the Camino Ingles as a short, self contained Camino through interesting towns & villages and in beautiful countryside.

My wife and I walked it with my (87 yo!) father in 2017 starting in El Ferrol.

The Ingles has recently been recognised as an official historic Camino so you WILL quality for a Compostela on arrival in Santiago.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the Camino Sanabres from Ourense (aka the final section of the Via de la Plata).

As with the Ingles the scenery/countryside is beautiful and it's possible to tailor your days' walking to circa 20km. Slightly easier going on the Sanabres.

Buen Camino!

Hi again @Elle Bieling
Thanks so much for your response and perfect timing. I love your website and it was invaluable as I planned last year's Portugués. I was very moved by "Team Magdalena." So of course, last week, the first place I looked for info on the Inglés was your website!
I wasn't sure about the Coruña route, because of the long stretches of the city on day 1 and suburbia on the approach to Santiago (not unexpected, as I've entered from the Francés and Portugués.) But since I'm staying in Coruña with a friend before the walk, maybe I can get a ride from her or a taxi to some milestone at the edge of the city?
@Guy Strachan Glad to hear about your 87 year old dad. I'll be 71!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola fellow peregrinos, I've enjoyed four Caminos (Francés and Portugués) over the past decade. Next spring I'll spend several weeks in Andalucía (including Semana Santa,) then head to my beloved Galicia to stay with a friend in A Coruña, and then I thought I'd walk along the Inglés for about 5-6 days. I don't need a Compostela so either Coruña or Ferrol route works, with some modification for a max walk of 20km/day. All I really want to do is enjoy the Galician countryside. Of course, I prefer dirt roads but don't mind pavement; mainly I want to avoid city walking, because I have so little time and will have stayed in cities for the previous month. Suggestions?
I have a friend who did the Francés with me and then later did the Inglés with his brother. He told me that the Inglés was not nearly as enjoyable, and he specifically mentioned a lot of on the road walking.

Hi again @Elle Bieling
I wasn't sure about the Coruña route, because of the long stretches of the city on day 1 and suburbia on the approach to Santiago (not unexpected, as I've entered from the Francés and Portugués.) But since I'm staying in Coruña with a friend before the walk, maybe I can get a ride from her or a taxi to some milestone at the edge of the city?
@Guy Strachan Glad to hear about your 87 year old dad. I'll be 71!
Yes, the city walk is a bit confusing, for sure, and from what I understand it is better marked than before. You may want to download my GPS tracks, it will help you if you do decide to start at the Santiago Church and do the entire way through the city. I never really mind walking through the cities as I find they provide nice diversion, but each to his own!

"Team Magdalena" was indeed a very special thing for all those involved, and I still get emotional when I remember the wonderful time we had together! Thank you for your nice comments and I wish you the best!

I totally loved this little camino!

I second what Elle says about the first part walking out of AC being a bit confusing. Eventually you'll be walking along the river, so however you get there probably works. Then do not miss this turn to the right!:
Screenshot_20221129-074352_OsmAnd.jpg
If you go past the big apartment blocks and end up on the footbridge under this you have gone too far:
IMG_0014.JPG
I downloaded the track from the Dutch cofraternity and used that as an overlay on the OSMand app.
(Use this page for downloads)

The first stage to Sergude is just under 20 km, but it is strenuous and steep.
It's subjective. There are undeniably ups and downs (many more ups than downs), but I did not find them strenuous or steep at all. And I am sixty-something and not super fit.

When in A Coruña, do not miss this tree with a history! I did and regret it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back