• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Publicly humiliated for snoring

cilento

This is day 7 for me. I'm a snorer, but I have a mouthpiece that really works.

Last night in El Burgo Ranero my mouthpiece came out and I guess I snored pretty loudly. My friend woke me up and I turned over and replaced my mouthpiece, and all was fine. I was so embarrassed by this, but that's not the worst of it.

Just now in Mansilla a Spanish woman met me on the stairs of the albergue. She started yelling at me in Spanish and demanded that I show her what bed I was assigned to.

I showed her and she then went to get her family, pointed me out to them and announced that she wanted to to go to the other albergue because she wasn't going to sleep with me in the room.

I have a hotel room tomorrow night in Leon. But I'm a bit shaken up by this.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm sorry to hear this for you. I like your honesty and efforts to subdue snoring in consideration of others.

Not cool to be yelled at. Her conversation with you could have been handled in a better way in the spirit of the Camino.

Please don't let this deter your walk. Enjoy your pleasant night's stay in Leon. Such a great city!

¡Buen Camino!

I don't know where people get the idea snoring is a conscious act, but they are just fellow humans trying to breathe.

If you aren't ready to face some snoring, you aren't ready for an albergue.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
During our camino (may-june) there was one man (I believe German) who would sit up in the night and clap loudly if he was being bothered by snoring, I guess as an attempt to wake up the snorer, but in reality it woke everyone up, including those who were sleeping through the snoring. On at least one occasion he got up and shook awake a complete stranger (a woman no less).

It takes all kinds.

Cilento,
You have my full sympathy. Noone WANTS to snore, and as another says, they who can't deal with it do not belong in a common dorm.

Earplugs work well against snorers. I have been more bothered on occational nights when I really should have had NOSE plugs... :wink: :twisted:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cilento, my sympathies. Having been shaken violently awake by an irate German woman in the private Albergue in Samos I quietly pointed out to her that although I was, now, awake the snoring continued.

I honour you for your efforts to manage your snore. I use nose bands and moderate my alcohol intake but I know I am a problem for others sometimes. However, I remember with affection a grumpy, though golden-hearted, Youth Hostel warden in Cumbria in the 1970s who remarked to a complainer "Tha' could've slept next door ( a church-yard) t' dead down't snore"

Ah man i feel bad, don't let this rude woman put you off the albergues because they usually have a great atmosphere and its where a lot of great conversations take place.

You're already being considerate with your mouth piece and limiting your alcohol intake

I'm a bit of a snorer myself here's what i did

I used to tell people that i was a snorer on the way to an albergue or whilst in the queue waiting to check in, now i wouldn't just announce it but usually when you put you bag down on a bunk one of your neighbours will strike up a conversation and i would mention my snoring so that all in the vicinity were made aware

The second thing i did was to try to be the last to get into my bunk. That way most people are already sleeping and my snoring isn't loud enough to wake them it's just loud enough to stop some people from dropping off to sleep.

I would try to avoid this woman because she sounds like a nightmare but if she confronts you again you can say

" comprar tapones para los oídos " simply means your telling her to buy earplugs

and remember it's your camino too!

no one has the right to do that .. but no worries i have a husband who snores and i know you cant help it .. so just ignore them and move on and hope that will be a story to tell and laugh about it in the futher .. I'm doing my walk in September 25th ..
¡Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also like that you are attempting not to snore and this woman could have spoken to you with the same respect she is asking from you. Two wrongs don't make a right. Snorers should be considerate of people's sleep. No fun to face a day of walking exhausted. There are some alburgues that have separate sleeping rooms for snorers.

I feel so bad for you AND those who can not sleep when someone is snoring. I am a very light sleeper. I can't sleep with even heavy breathing. I have tried earplugs and either still hear noise or am so uncomfortable I still don't sleep well. This is my problem. I too can not help that I am noise sensitive. I can however sleep in a different place, ie other room or hotel. That is what I plan on doing for my Camino. I will stay in private rooms along the way. I know this will be more expensive and I may not bond with other pilgrims in the same manner, however I won't be angry, resentful, and disrespectful due to lack of sleep. I will be doing the Camino my way. Buen Camino

Dont take it to heart if you can. I snore and have had the whole spectrum of reactions, people who dont get enough sleep can tend to react (sometimes) in the most absurd ways. If they werent fatigued they would probably laugh at themselves.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am sorry to hear that a fellow pelegrino was so sad that they berated you for snoring. It is they that should be staying in a hotel not you. If you cannot understand how other people are they need to move out of the albergue. I also met a German woman who would sit up and clap loudly to try to wake the snorer. She would then lay down to sleep and was the loudest snorer. I have just returned from the Camino and I am sure I possibly snored? But in some ways listening to snorers was part of my Camino. It was amazing and I felt that other pilgrim's and their snoring were all part of the camino. Just enjoy the rest and ignore the people who cannot accept life in the albergues.

Snoring, farting, and plastic bag rustling is all a part of the experience. We all create some noise that might bother others. I'm sorry that you were ridiculed.

That is ridiculous, Sorry to hear of your unfortunate encounter. Snoring is so common I doubt there is anyone that does not or has not snored. It is a simple fact of human physiology. That Lady certainly is going to have a hard time because there will be snoring in EVERY Alburgue regardless. Please do not let this RUDE woman spoil what is truly a wonderful experience.

I completed the Frances in April / May and yes I snore and had a similar experience but I turned it around by confronting the Gentleman that woke me and a few others up for snoring pointing out that he was the one out of order thinking that you could sleep in a dormitory full of people without being bothered by normal noises that will be encountered under those conditions and he was the one that should be sleeping in a private room if he was so bothered by it.

Please enjoy the rest of your journey guilt free as you are not alone.

Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tortuga9 said:
Snoring, farting, and plastic bag rustling is all a part of the experience. We all create some noise that might bother others. I'm sorry that you were ridiculed.

I totally agree with this.

I admire your steps to control the snoring.

Buen camino.

Cheryl (a non-snorer, but tolerant)

The TRULY annoying people are the loud snorers who complain loudly about the snoring of others ... :mrgreen:

Snoring is just part of the Way -- I either do or do not snore, but I can usually tell if I have or not depending on whether the back of my mouth feels sore or not when I wake up... :wink:

This is an unfortunate example of life. First of all, you have already taken efforts to reduce any problems for others. Second, you have to allow others to be themselves and understand that their way of being is a personal problem they must deal with and it has nothing to do with you. Third, when dealing with others never take anything personally.

If someone has an egregious snoring problem or any other remarkably offensive behavior; I am talking about blowing the roof off of buildings, noise decibel explosions of military grade, or any other similar type extreme problem, then a common room is not an viable option. I do think these rare specimens of humanity should be cognizant of respecting our fellow humans and not put them through any unnecessary displays of our unique gifts.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife says I can really snore so I was a bit worried about going on the Camino. In the albergue in Pamplona the guy in the next bed got up and moved during the night deliberately making enough noise to waken all around him. In my case however, he was humiliated as others laughed at his antics. Later on we met Big Phil from Galway who could have snored for Ireland. Other peregrinos only debate was a light hearted one about which of us was the worst. Phil won by a mile to my relief cause he even woke me. I lay there and smiled as I now realised what my wife had put up with for many years.
Don't let this very rude person put you off. You are a peregrino, she is not. A true pilgrim will willingly offer up the trials and tribulations that the Camino sends as a sacrifice. After all for every trial there is a moment of joy. I have met many Spanish people outwith the Camino and I have never met one that I found rude or unfriendly. All this person has done is to do a disservice to herself and her nation. Keep on walking and keep staying in Albergues and cast this person out of your mind
Buen Camino

How unfair of her. It's all very well for me to say "don't worry about it" - I know how hard it to let go of embarrassment like that. Honestly, though, the issue is hers - not yours. Nobody snores on purpose. I can sometimes be sensitive to noise, even with earplugs. But if I can't sleep because of someone else's snoring, well that would be my problem, not theirs.

Please don't let one sour person take away from your enjoyment of your experience!

The Spanish woman you had the misfortune to encounter is not typical of the camino, anyone with a jot of common sense knows that communal living and sleeping for its pluses of shared camaraderie and friendship has its minuses of snoring ( the least minus by a long way ), 5 am bag rustlers and head torch users, midnight gossipers in adjoining beds etc.
I encountered 3 members of the Spanish Olympic snoring team on my departure night in St. Jean - my poor nights sleep was totally down to me for forgetting to bring my ear plugs, an error which I corrected in Burguete the following evening.
Don't let the rudeness of someone who seems to have major issues of their own to deal with to detract from your camino, maybe buy a pack of earplugs when you next pass a Farmacia and if anyone is as rude as this to you again, offer them to them in a spirit of christian fellowship. :wink:

Regards

Seamus

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My first experience with snoring on the Camino came on the first night in SJPdP in the municipal albergue. I settled in to a lower bunk and began to doze off when I was startled back to consciousness by the loudest and deepest roar of a snore that I have ever heard. This sound must have begun deep within the abdomen, of the fellow soundly sleeping in the bunk adjacent to mine, before it was routed through the lungs then vocal chords before exiting flapping lips. I could not believe what I was hearing, I looked around the room, surely every pilgrim there would be as I was wide awake. But it was not so. I quietly searched my pack for anything that I could stuff into my ears, no I had not the foresight to pack earplugs. A definite Camino necessity!!!!! Finally I found some cottton that encased the Pilgrim Shell that belongs to my mother, ( the pin on shell was a gift to her from the Bishop of Jerusalem, when she had made the pilgrimage there as a Lady of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre) she had allowed me to take it on my Camino. I stuffed as much of the cotton into my ears as I could and it only slightly quieted the roar coming from my right. I laid there thinking this is awful and I will never survive this night, but I did. Early the next morning the room began to stir as is the way of the albergues, an aquaintace jumped down from the bunk above me. I met Ibrahim, from Istanbul, in the Pamplona bus station the previous day. We rode to SJPdP on the
same bus, conversing and getting to know each other. The snorer was still sound asleep, go figure. I asked my new friend how he slept and his reply and I quote " like I was in a lions den". I pointed to the pilgrim still sleeping in the bunk beside mine and said to Ibrahim " there my friend is your lion".
We affectionately referred to him as the Lion of the Pyrenees.

From the experience of the first night I learned a valuable lesson of sleeping in albergues....... loud music through my earphones, thanks to the music list on my Droid phone. I could fall asleep listening to loud music,where snoring could delay it for some time. I did however come to the realization that after full day of walking and a pilgrims menu for dinner, was never far away.
There are so many noises in an albergue, it is part of the Camino experience and one comes to embrace and yes maybe even miss it when your Camino ends. Please enjoy all the experience the Camino offers,
Buen Camino.

I am the worst candidate for dormitory sleeping. I have difficulty sleeping in the comfort of my own bed! But...I will try it armed with wax earplugs for swimmers and an eye mask. If it does not work out I will sleep in hotels, etc. It is a concern, yet somewhere I read that what you think will be a concern "isn't", and what you never anticipated "is". In other words, it is what it is.
No Public Humiliation Allowed!

We have just arrived in Estella.. And are sharing our travels with a major snorer.. It's part of the Way I think.. Invest in earplugs...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We also had a similar situation, near the end of the Camino. We had someone clap us awake in the middle of the night and shake the bed of a friend of ours, a woman, who was snoring. When she woke, he pointed his finger at her and told her to be quiet. She was shaken up by this, not just from the shaking of the bed.

The next night we were dismayed to see him, his wife and two friends come into the room in which we were staying. About midnight he again clapped and I could not get back to sleep for a couple of hours. At 5 am they got up and made noise for at least 30 minutes as they were packing. They seemed to be wrapping things in plastic and that especially was noisy.

I had enough and I got up and confronted him, in a strong but controlled and not-too-loud voice. I explained that what he was doing was wrong. He said that the snoring was the problem and wondered what he could he do. I told him that if snoring bothered him he should get ear plugs or go to a hotel.

One person was concerned that he might hit me in the dark but he responded well.

A few days later I saw him in a restaurant sitting some distance from me. We waved at each other and gave the thumbs up. Later we crossed paths in Santiago and we hugged. He spoke Spanish and some English. We did not talk in our later meetings, but it felt good to know that it was well between us. I also hoped that the clapping stopped after our confrontation but we were never again in the same room.

perhaps this was the same person you had your experience with.

jkapteyn said:
perhaps this was the same person you had your experience with.
My guess is it is the same person, because I didn't encounter this person directly. I believe I heard about it from you :)

I'm Todd, of the couple with the baby. Could be wrong, but I think you are the one who told me the story (multiple times) which shocked me enough to remember it and to pass it along here.

wow... it really makes no sense to me that people would confront you like that....definitely not in the spirit in the Camino. Don't worry I fart and snore so I'm right there with you and if anyone confronts me the way that woman did to you ill just give them a coke and a smile...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Re: Publicly humiliated for snoring

cilento said:

Last night in El Burgo Ranero my mouthpiece came out and I guess I snored pretty loudly. My friend woke me up and I turned over and replaced my mouthpiece, and all was fine. I was so embarrassed by this, but that's not the worst of it.

Just now in Mansilla a Spanish woman met me on the stairs of the albergue. She started yelling at me in Spanish and demanded that I show her what bed I was assigned to.

I showed her and she then went to get her family, pointed me out to them and announced that she wanted to to go to the other albergue because she wasn't going to sleep with me in the room.

From my experience the Spanish women were by far the worst snorers of all, followed closely by the middle aged French women. There will ALWAYS be at least one snorer in the alberge. I take the industrial strength earplugs with me which go in every night without fail, stashed away in my sleeping bag inner pocket. That's to be expected. If this woman had a problem with it she can always stay in a hotel where they have a private room. You could always recommend having a few more glasses of red during the pilgrim dinner. It may even improve her attitude too ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Sorry for your experience...Don't let it sway you though - pilgrims need to expect snoring in communal sleep rooms. One night on my camino I fell ill and was keeping folks up coughing all night. Lucky for me, a kinder pilgrim knelt by my bedside and offered me a cough lozenge to lubricate my throat. Obviously the one whom you encountered had not yet caught the true spirit of the camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Canadiana said:
... One night on my camino I fell ill and was keeping folks up coughing all night. Lucky for me, a kinder pilgrim knelt by my bedside and offered me a cough lozenge to lubricate my throat. Obviously the one whom you encountered had not yet caught the true spirit of the camino.

Was that at the Monasterio de Sobrado dos Moxes by any chance?
I recall a similar situation with a Canadian Peregrina.
We had a bite in group at Arzua the following day, before you continued on to Santiago.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

I would like to believe that reasonable people understand that no one snores on purpose or that they might have some control over it. On the other hand, it can be infuriating to be tired and wanting to sleep and not be able to do so because of someone snoring. In my experience, people are more willing to "tolerate" the snoring and become more frustrated than they are to awaken the offender and make a scene. Ultimately, it's a no win situation for both.
It's estimated that here in America as much as one-third of couples sleep in separate bedrooms because of snoring.

In my experience, a single sharp clap, not necessarily very loud, near a snorer will cause him/her to stir and shift and stop snoring at least for a while.

Everything else about the incident/confrontation leaves me wondering if the Señora was actually upset about snoring or had imagined something else.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
cilento said:

That woman is the one who needs to get a hotel room, not you!

Or she should invest in a pair of earplugs. I understand they're not very expensive.

Sleeping in communal quarters, you get communal noises.

I hope walking the Camino sorts out her anger issues. You are doing your best with your "mouthpiece" etc. Don't be upset by the woman.

In fact, find out where she's staying each night, and make a point of getting a bunk next to hers!

Bill

This was unfortunate but don't let it put you off: it's as much your Camino as the Spanish lady's.

Who knows when they are snoring?? Who knows what kicks off a bout of snoring?? Sleeping in a different bed, using a different pillow, change of climate....who knows!! It can happen to anyone.

Simple solution for the lady: wear earplugs or get a private room.

Buen Camino :D

billmclaughlin said:
In my experience, a single sharp clap, not necessarily very loud, near a snorer will cause him/her to stir and shift and stop snoring at least for a while.

Hopefully we can all agree that clapping (even once) in an albuergue is inappropriate, and far more inconsiderate to others than the snoring.

No matter how quiet it may be, you risk waking up anybody else in the albegure who might be managing to sleep through the snoring.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Re: Re: Publicly humiliated for snoring

waveprof said:
billmclaughlin said:

Hopefully we can all agree that clapping (even once) in an albuergue is inappropriate, and far more inconsiderate to others than the snoring.

No matter how quiet it may be, you risk waking up anybody else in the albegure who might be managing to sleep through the snoring.

Exactly!

Except that the only people awakened by a single well-placed clap are.....those who are already lying awake because of the snoring.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sponing. Just find a prtner to spoon with, an understanding partner, one who will nodge you softly or whisper in your ears to change your postion, before you wake up oghers.Be that a male or a female, be that a permanent partner or a temporary one.

billmclaughlin said:
Except that the only people awakened by a single well-placed clap are.....those who are already lying awake because of the snoring.

False.

I've more than once witnessed everyone except a snorer being woken up by some "well-placed" [sic] claps ... and also personally confronted such clappers over disturbing other people's sleep.

If snoring keeps you awake, then you're probably not giving the Camino all that you've got ; walk some extra KM.

I can assure you, this will work far better than any ear plugs !!!

No snorer snores deliberately ; EVERY clapper does so intentionally. It's easily deduced which of the snorer and the clapper has engaged in the deliberate disturbance of people's sleep ...

JabbaPapa said:
No snorer snores deliberately ; EVERY clapper does so intentionally. It's easily deduced which of the snorer and the clapper has engaged in the deliberate disturbance of people's sleep ...

+1.

When I am awoken by a snorer I am (naturally) annoyed, but when I see them the next day on the trail I think no less of them for it. The same can not be said for a clapper.

JabbaPapa said:
billmclaughlin said:

False.

I've more than once witnessed everyone except a snorer being woken up by some "well-placed" [sic] claps ... and also personally confronted such clappers over disturbing other people's sleep.

If snoring keeps you awake, then you're probably not giving the Camino all that you've got ; walk some extra KM.

I can assure you, this will work far better than any ear plugs !!!

Jabbapapa, kudos, exactly the nub of the matter and if I ever happen to come across a 'clapper' in a dormitory I fear I might not be very christian in my reaction.

Seamus

Sorry this happened to you. It's not at all indicative of the general demeanor of your fellow pilgrims. Most pilgrims understand the challenges of sleeping in an albergue. It's just part of the Camino experience. My humble advice:

1. Forgive this intolerant lady and pray she learns something about herself on the Camino.

2. Enjoy Leon and the rest of the Camino

3. Focus on the thousands of pilgrims you've passed (and met) on the Camino, and remember their warm greetings. They overshadow one sad lady.

4. Buen Camino!

All just lessons on the way....

As a snorer, I found it entertaining when people would complain about snorers during their walk... I would listen and then tell them how humiliating it was for me as a snorer - I knew I would snore (I am so conscious of it in a crowded albergue, that I could actually wake myself up and stop... thank goodness). But in the cold light of day, nobody would give me a hard time, and even if I told them in the albergue that I snore, nobody grabbed their things and left.... It takes all types.

What God had to help me with was wanting to strangle people who whispered for 40 minutes when they crawled into bed at 10pm or woke up at 5......

My mantra was "Breathe, Pray & shut your mouth... breathe, pray and shut your mouth....breathe, pray..." you get the picture.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am so sorry that happened to you. I was so afraid to sleep in shared rooms because I was afraid I snored. I can tell you YOU ARE NOT ALONE> I spent one night holding my gut. I was tring not to laugh. I had a room full of folks. There was a snorer, a murmmer, a talker and a wheezer. I even videod the nosie. She has the choice to stay in private rooms. She has the right to buy ear plugs. She does not have the right to Make someone uncomfortable. I hope you can drop her issues and the hurt she has caused you by the way side. Put it into a stone and leave it by a cross. Some people forget this is a community hike. In that we are all doing the same thing for different reasons. We are all different.
I did find that if you tell the owner when you check in sometimes they may have a separate room for snorers. It was great for me. I got to have a huge room to myself. LOL
Enjoy what you can and disgard the useless crap.

I sympathise. I had no idea that I would snore and disturb others, my partner swears that I don't at home but it appears that a combination of tiredness and blocked sinuses caused me to join in with the snorers. I tried to resolve it by drinking very little wine and getting sinus medication, always lying on my side, I also tried to be last to go to sleep. It didn't seem to help as I was repeatedly woken during one night by a German woman banging on my bed and eventually slapping me. After this humiliating experience I took private rooms as often as possible which was not as much fun and out of budget.
Everyday we have to listen to the complaints about people who snore, I found it very embarrassing knowing that I was one of these "terrible inconsiderate" individuals. My best nights sleep was when I shared a room with five others, waited for them to fall asleep, and they all snored, I was so happy. In another room a French girl was threatening to kill anybody who made a noise.
I enjoyed my time (34 days) on the Camino but this cast a shadow over the experience and has left me with a fear of falling asleep anywhere public.
More tolerance is required (and earplugs), nobody does it on purpose and everybody knows there will be disturbances sharing a room with so many people.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am leaving my beloved snorer at home whilst I walk part of the Camino. I think a bit of snoring might be comforting.

Snoring is the most discussed non-issue in the Forum. By that I mean it is as omnipresent as the weather, and equally inevitable.

Snorers: stop being self-conscious and apologetic.

Snorer-haters: get over it; get earplugs or go sleep alone.

Snorers: do what you can - nose spray, Breath Right, sleep on side, don't be a drunk.

Light sleepers: you actually sleep a lot more than you think you do! And a lot of you snore, too.

I understand that the Forum is for venting, in part, and we all have something we want to get off our chest. But this snoring stuff is getting really repetitive and boring (including my post).

Can we all just get along here?

By the way, speaking of humiliation, one of my favorite schadenfreude stories is about a Finn who got drunk every evening and snored loudly. In Calzadilla de la Cueza, after he fell asleep, the hospitalero circulated with a box of foam ear plugs for those in need, and we all had a big laugh at the expense of the Finn, who never knew about it. Humiliation without being humiliated (since you have to be aware of it to be humiliated).

I have a mouthpiece as well. Seems to work most of the time. Did not use one night in Viana after a heavy bout of drinking, and I did get the word from some Germans the next morning about it. It happens.

People should bring earplugs, and for those that snore, a mouthpiece. They do work.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Currently only oral anti-snoring mouth pieces prescribed through a dentist or doctor, fitted by a dentist or doctor, AND approved by the FDA are legal for sale as oral appliances for relief of snoring.
No over the counter mouth piece has been approved by the FDA. Efficacy is strictly anecdotal. Even the ones by prescription may be ineffective, and a CPAP machine may be required to stop snoring. Don't count on the device working for you without testing it extensively first!

I will be completely honest with you; if I was a loud snorer there is no way I would subject others to that without doing something about it. You have done something about it and I am so, so sorry this lady was so rude. Her behavior may have be a result of severe sleep deprivation and exhaustion-- not that it fully justifies been so insensitive.

For many people ear plugs do not work and for many neither do mouth pieces. I would rather sleep in the field by the road than endure somebody's snoring. That's still an option, right?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have started snoring on my current camino.. It is very embarrassing indeed.

I do not snore at home but for some reason I am snoring here.

In the night my wife keeps poking me awake when I start andhas thrown things at me if she is in the upper bunk. I have actually asked her to wake me if she hears me snore, usually just after I nod off at 10.

She won't wake me tonight though as I am in the men's dorm in Leon and so expecting to play my part in a concert.

NoQ said:
She won't wake me tonight though as I am in the men's dorm in Leon and so expecting to play my part in a concert.

Play on brother!

Well. it is not like you snored on purpose--this woman is obviously clueless and selfish

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is why they made ear plugs and anyone who does not take them well they are just out of luck

I am shocked by these reports of how peregrinos treat snorers. Every other communal sleeping situation I've been on during hikes, like shelters along the A.T., snoring was a given. If you were bothered by it you wore earplugs or slept somewhere else. There is no way it is EVER appropriate to put your hands on your fellow peregrino - especially while they're asleep. EVER.

I snore when I sleep on my back, which I do several times over the course of a night. I have also battled insomnia for years and sleep is precious to me. If I don't get a decent night's sleep I don't walk the next day, that's all there is to it. The idea that there will be other peregrinos who will clap, poke, push, kick or otherwise wake me up and get in my face for something I do involuntarily disgusts me. Frankly, if someone did that to me while I was sleeping there would be black eyes and broken fingers before I was even fully awake. I'll be carrying a tent and avoiding albergues like the plague. I don't want to sleep where it's acceptable to physically assault others.

The beloved advises that I usually snore in my first phase of sleep. She has told me that I am snoring when, to me, i am still fully conscious and awake. Left undisturbed I will move into secondary, deeper, sleep and stop snoring. Of course if I am constantly woken and cannot achieve deep sleep ...

Anne100, despite what you might read in this thread, and others, the majority of pilgrims, snorers, wifflers and the profoundly silent are remarkably tolerant of each other. The stumbling drunk an hour after lights-out, the 5:00am bag rustlers and the headlight flashers - now they are likely to bring out the sinner in the saint.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is day 7 for me. I'm a snorer, but I have a mouthpiece that really works. Last night in El Burgo Ranero my mouthpiece came out and I guess I snored pretty loudly. My friend woke me up and I turned over and replaced my mouthpiece, and all was fine. I was so embarrassed by this, but that's not the worst of it. Just now in Mansilla a Spanish woman met me on the stairs of the albergue. She started yelling at me in Spanish and demanded that I show her what bed I was assigned to. I showed her and she then went to get her family, pointed me out to them and announced that she wanted to to go to the other albergue because she wasn't going to sleep with me in the room. I have a hotel room tomorrow night in Leon. But I'm a bit shaken up by this.

What a nasty experience - and what a nasty "Spanish woman". At least you are doing your best by having a 'mouthpiece'. Don't be upset. Don't give up the 'family' of the albergue experience because of one rude woman. Put it down to one single bad experience and continue on your way.
Incidentally, I often find an inexpensive hotel or hostal where I can have my own room. Even if it's just for one night in three or four. So enjoy your hotel room - then come back to the 'family'!
Buen camino!

Did this incident take place soon after the tragedy in Santiago? All pilgrims should have been pulling closer together, not being publicly horrible to one another! This experience simply illustrates that woman's lack of humanity and empathy. The conversation could have been had privately if it was that big of a deal. Yes, it is important that people who snore be aware and considerate of others when in communal sleeping areas. I believe you are trying your best to be considerate. It's a shame that others feel they have to be horrible to people to make their point. Be a person who lifts others along your path, and try to surround yourself with others who do the same. Happy Travels!

I do snore and I try to ask those around me if they have ear plugs, I have brought a bag of them, so I hand them out.
Many have told me I don't snore constantly, but I still do it each time, this way I feel I've done my part... I listen to sleepwakers walk
and I don't expect them to "STOP SLEEPING"... It's part of the experience - I've learned to tolerate a lot, and frankly after a while it
isn't toleration, it's acceptance. It's the right thing to do.
Cheers from Ottawa, Canada
http://www.sylviehanes.ca

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is day 7 for me. I'm a snorer, but I have a mouthpiece that really works.....

Er... just wondering what is this mouthpiece that seems so effective? I've tried nasal sprays, sleeping on side, zero alcohol intake... I'm all for anything that might work.
Reminds me of the bad joke where a very bad (male) snorer had the tables turned on him when his room-mate gave him a big sloppy good-night kiss and then had a perfect nights sleep as the "offender" stayed awake all night in mortal dread of an advance.

just wondering what is this mouthpiece that seems so effective?

I know a little about mouthpieces in general. When the soft tissue in the throat relaxes, as it does while sleeping, snoring or complete blockage of the airway (obstructive sleep apnea) can result. Persons who are overweight or have excessive neck size are more prone to the problem . A mouthpiece to control obstructive sleep apnea functions by forcing the the jaw forward to maintain the opening in the airway. Pain in the jaw joint and muscles, or a more serious TMJ disorder can be an unwanted effect of the mouthpiece. The effectiveness of the device and the ability to tolerate it can vary with the individual user.

Several years ago I used a mouthpiece developed at UCLA. The mechanics of the device included a connection between the back of the upper teeth and front of the lower teeth - as the mouth closed, the lower jar was thrust forward. I ended up sleeping with my mouth open and my airway closed - I could not tolerate a strap to keep my mouth closed, so I abandoned the mouthpiece. It also caused jaw pain for me. I used a CPAP machine for a couple of years - it benefited me but presented a whole other set of negatives. Losing weight (resulting in shrinking the excessive soft tissue in the throat) proved to be the most effective way of eliminating my sleep apnea. I'm not yet at my ideal weight and I continue to snore some, but I now breath without interruption.

It seems every device to prevent sleep apnea comes with a lot of problems - many are worth tolerating because apnea can have serious long term and short term health effects. Personally, I would not consider these devices for occasional snoring which does not involve apnea.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I don't think there is a need to be apologetic about snoring. That's what you do and who you are. Anybody thinking they can camp out in an albergue and not hear a snore is incredibly self centered. So I say snore away and if somebody else has a problem with that, that's their problem -- you don't have to make it yours. She had choices: 1) earplugs, 2) pay for a private room in a hotel, or 3) work on her neuroses without projecting it onto others.

Tom

The trouble is that REALLY bad snoring can keep other folk awake all night. There's no simple solution to this problem. If you know you snore badly, maybe you could ask if it's possible to sleep on the floor outside the main dormitory. Just a thought - I've seen it done, and been grateful.
A quote from my first camino diary....
"Dusk was falling, so we returned to the albergue, and all went to bed. At 10:30 Pedro started to snore. I’d experienced snoring in previous albergues, but this was different. Pedro would be silent for about fifteen seconds. Then a noise would erupt from his mouth, followed by what sounded like a shout. This went on for four hours.

The volume was such that the empty room actually vibrated at every exhalation that Pedro made. Pedro could snore for Spain, and I’m sure he held the gold Olympic medal for snoring. I tossed and turned, and tried to ignore it, but all to no avail. At 2:30 in the morning, I gathered my sleeping bag, and went into the girls’ dormitory.

“It’s only me.” I said in a loud whisper. “Stay!” said Catarina.
I had no intention of doing anything else……

[Catarina told me later that they had been warned about Pedro! “We could hear him snoring through two closed doors and twenty metres of passage. There was a moment when we had a discussion about whether we should come and rescue you!”]"

I am shocked by these reports of how peregrinos treat snorers. Every other communal sleeping situation I've been on during hikes, like shelters along the A.T., snoring was a given. If you were bothered by it you wore earplugs or slept somewhere else. There is no way it is EVER appropriate to put your hands on your fellow peregrino - especially while they're asleep. EVER.

I snore when I sleep on my back, which I do several times over the course of a night. I have also battled insomnia for years and sleep is precious to me. If I don't get a decent night's sleep I don't walk the next day, that's all there is to it. The idea that there will be other peregrinos who will clap, poke, push, kick or otherwise wake me up and get in my face for something I do involuntarily disgusts me. Frankly, if someone did that to me while I was sleeping there would be black eyes and broken fingers before I was even fully awake. I'll be carrying a tent and avoiding albergues like the plague. I don't want to sleep where it's acceptable to physically assault others.

I agree with Anne about snoring on the AT. When there was a snorer amongst us at night, we never ever woke them up. The worst we may have done is a bit of teasing the next day on the trail but that was it. Good humor and fun. Never ever getting in their space or anything like that.....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hey,

Im really feel bad about your encounter.

FYI, Im also a heavy snorer at night accordingly to my friends who when with me for holiday last time.

As I be doing my Camino walk this May, this is also 1 of the part that concern me. Will I be get annoy by other if I snore very loud at night?

After reading all your guy message, I feel abit ok right now as most of them say, Camino is for every one all over the world, if you can stand it, don't do this walk or get yourself a private room.

Cheers and Buen Camino

Eugene

Every packing list, gear recommendation, or gear suggestion I have ever seen always recommends ear plugs. There must be a reason. :)

This is a really old thread, but for anyone reading it that may be able to benefit from my two cents worth.... Remember that you can be yelled at and made fun of but you can not be humiliated unless you allow someone to make you feel that way. In the original incident noted above, I would have smiled at the lady and otherwise ignored her and not been bothered by her if I knew that I did what was reasonably expected to minimize the effect of my snoring.

Also, chances are good that she or her family were likely the ones who turned on the lights early, rustled the plastic bags at 5:00am, loudly talked while others were resting, flushed the toilet 6 times per night, clip-clopped down the road with walking sticks, hogged the electrical outlet, monopolized the wash basin, etc. Seeing the speck in other people's eyes before we notice the one in our own is a problem for the vocal one. Don't let them transfer their problem / hate / venom to you.

As a snorer.....One the reasons I won't be staying in Albergues.... Just don't need the aggravation.

I can snore, it is dependent upon certain situations. I am bringing 20 earplugs so if someone forgot theirs I can pass them a pair.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app
I sympathise with both sides. Unfortunately I have not yet found any earplugs which could block out a heavy snorer. If anyone knows of any please tell me. But it's not just the noise...it's the resonance of snoring: the bunk can really vibrate if you have the misfortune to share one with someone who snores like a tank going up a steep gradient.

I can understand that people might be annoyed enough to clap or shake the bed of an individual that was snoring. What I can't believe is reading about incidents where someone slapped the snorer. In one instance I read about the victim was basically assaulted. A drunk clamped his hand over the mouth and nose of someone sleeping. The victim didn't say they were snoring but I suspected as much. If I am asleep and a person puts his or her hand on me other that to gently wake me, I might wind up hurting someone. So my question is should I stay in private hotels?

Last edited:
Of course snorers don't snore on purpose. It's not their fault. Having said that, many people are intolerant of even soft snoring and that's not their fault either. Snorers are generally oblivious to their snoring and sleep straight on through while light sleepers stay awake and feel miserable. The person being imposed upon is generally the non-snorer.

Would it not make more sense for the person keeping everyone else awake to stay in a private room than insisting those who can't sleep be the ones to do so?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is a tricky debate isn't it?

We live in a World these days where minority interests take precedence, thanks to our warped Western political (grab/buy votes) systems that most of us have. THe slient majority is often ignored. We all try to be Politically correct, and considerate and aware of every one else's needs to the extent that we are in danger of creating a society of 'entitlement'. Oops. I think we did that already ;) Sorry, not meaning to Troll, well not too much :) Isn't this also about personal responsibility and consideration for others?

But seriously, I am a snorer. Which I did not choose to be!

I have two options.

ONE. I claim my 'right' to use an Albergue just like anyone else. I'll worry at night that I will disturb others, and in the process not rest well myself.

If I do disturb others I'll just create a really bad 'vibe', as there are few things worse than lack of sleep. And I could 'soldier on' with good and bad nights / experiences for the duration of my Camino. Always worrying that I might end up in some kind of 'conflict' and having to defend my 'right' to use an Albergue.

or

TWO. I could take the easy path, and not inflict myself on others. Stay in private accommodation. Peace....... and a good nights rest......

I choose Two :)

P.S. If by some bad fortune I do end up staying in an Albergue with you, due to lack of other options, if I snore, you have my permission to nudge me gently to get me to roll over ;) Of course other snorers might consider that as assault. Is there a lawyer in the room? :eek:

P.P.S. Can we start a debate on smoking? Which most people who smoke do out of 'choice'.... and tend to inflict their smoke and butts on others and the environment. I have a request. If you smoke, please stay downwind of me and don't expect me to enjoy your company unless you would like me to throw up on you ;) Maybe not a great idea to open that debate....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I could take the easy path, and not inflict myself on others. Stay in private accommodation. Peace....... and a good nights rest......

P.S. If by some bad fortune I do end up staying in an Albergue with you, due to lack of other options, if I snore, you have my permission to nudge me gently to get me to roll over ;) Of course other snorers might consider that as assault. Is there a lawyer in the room? :eek:

P.P.S. Can we start a debate on smoking? Which most people who smoke do out of 'choice'.... and tend to inflict their smoke and butts on others and the environment. I have a request. If you smoke, please stay downwind of me and don't expect me to enjoy your company unless you would like me to throw up on you ;) Maybe not a great idea to open that debate....:rolleyes:

Robo,
I'm with you on this one.
Anything, at nearly any price, for a quiet life - not just for me but also for the others.
So in my pursuit of your "option two" I have compiled my own list of accommodation (hotels et al.) for nearly every possible overnight stopping place on the camino so that I can snore in peace on my own in a room with an en suite bathroom.

We live in a World these days where minority interests take precedence, thanks to our warped Western political (grab/buy votes) systems that most of us have. THe slient majority is often ignored. We all try to be Politically correct, and considerate and aware of every one else's needs to the extent that we are in danger of creating a society of 'entitlement'. Oops. I think we did that already ;) Sorry, not meaning to Troll, well not too much :) Isn't this also about personal responsibility and consideration for others?

But seriously, I am a snorer. Which I did not choose to be!

I have two options.

ONE. I claim my 'right' to use an Albergue just like anyone else. I'll worry at night that I will disturb others, and in the process not rest well myself.

If I do disturb others I'll just create a really bad 'vibe', as there are few things worse than lack of sleep. And I could 'soldier on' with good and bad nights / experiences for the duration of my Camino. Always worrying that I might end up in some kind of 'conflict' and having to defend my 'right' to use an Albergue.

or

TWO. I could take the easy path, and not inflict myself on others. Stay in private accommodation. Peace....... and a good nights rest......

Option 2 does indeed sound good. Of a like mind with your P.P.S.

Robo,
I'm with you on this one.
Anything, at nearly any price, for a quiet life - not just for me but also for the others.
So in my pursuit of your "option two" I have compiled my own list of accommodation (hotels et al.) for nearly every possible overnight stopping place on the camino so that I can snore in peace on my own in a room with an en suite bathroom.

That sounds like a very valuable resource Bystander!

I sympathise with both sides. Unfortunately I have not yet found any earplugs which could block out a heavy snorer. If anyone knows of any please tell me. But it's not just the noise...it's the resonance of snoring: the bunk can really vibrate if you have the misfortune to share one with someone who snores like a tank going up a steep gradient.
The cotton wrapped in wax earplugs are excellent (Ohropax), and the reason why I bring my Jawbone/Fitbit to use as a vibrating alarm clock or else I will not wake up in the morning. Also, why not just use snoring as your sound meditation support? I snore so this year I will sew a sqash ball on the back of a tight fitting tshirt so I don't sleep on my back.

If anyone has a good recommendation for inexpensive mouth peices, I am all ears. A custom made one is 3 5000 $ in Canada! Had I known, I would have paid for my CPAP myself and have the insurance company pay for this little bit of plastic.

The original incident happened in 2013. Actually I never ever met a rude Spanish person. Generally Spanish are too proud to get that low. Thats why I love them. But just in case here you have some basic, easy to remember Spanish: "!Que raro!" and look at them like a chicken at a bug. Which says "Crazy!!!" IRL only seen Spanish say it to others who did deserve so.

Nothing will stop the snoring "problem".

I'm a snorer. Didn't know that until my kids pointed it out. Still I sleep well, as my daughter kindly put it "this woman will sleep through the meteorite that killed the unicorns". :D Probably clapping hands will not wake me up, just the rest of the room. And no, can't afford a hotel every night.

But then I really wonder: those who get out of their comfy warm bed, go shake other peoples' beds, shake the person, slap them, clamp hands over the mouth and nose, point fingers, yell (probably in a language that the other doesn't understand), etc* in the middle of the night, apart from disturbing everybody, including themselves, risking being punched then and there, has it never occurred to them that they may spend the next day not walking their Camino, but trying to explain in Spanish to the local police that it wasn't a rape attempt? And get it on their records. Prove what happened in the dark room under the pretext of stopping a snore. Their word against other. And the one so rudely awaken may be honestly scared. Or in case of the French girl who threatened to kill anybody who makes a noise*, thats threat of murder, isn't it? With lots of witnesses. Also there are different kinds of crazy everywhere in the world, Camino no exception, and not everybody takes their medication, she may stumble upon one very special and wake up next morning to find her own head in the cupboard. Yeah, admit just watched youtube series about killer maniacs.
* all from this thread.

Come on---you better not wake me up with a single well-placed clap. I would be very irritated with you :)

Would it not make more sense for the person keeping everyone else awake to stay in a private room than insisting those who can't sleep be the ones to do so?

Now THAT is a great solution however, it does not go far enough. There should be a private room for all those people who keep us up all night with their smelly and loud farts. Another room or private accommodations should be arranged for all those noisy 5:00am bag rustlers. And another room for those smokers out there too - you may not smoke in the albergue but I can still smell it on your clothes and that makes me sneeze and stuffs up my nose. And another room for those that think bathing or washing clothes once a week is acceptable - you should be elsewhere too. Another room or private accommodations should be sought by those annoying people who insist on shushing everyone during their 2:00 pm siesta. Once that is taken care of, Jesus, Mary, Joseph and I could FINALLY get a good night sleep on the Camino. I think the problem may be that there are just too few of us left who are perfect.

Alternatively, we could also just remember we are on a pilgrimage and be a little more tolerant. Choose to not be annoyed and you will sleep better.

My husband snores. When we were on the Camino he tried to sleep on his side and it seemed to work. I must be really odd because over the years I've turned my husband's snoring into a tune and it kind of lulls me off to sleep. On our next Camino my son is going with us and he snores too. I am bring extra ear plugs to hand out. Lol.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know where people get the idea snoring is a conscious act, but they are just fellow humans trying to breathe.

If you aren't ready to face some snoring, you aren't ready for an albergue.
And I have found that sometimes the people who wake you up to tell you to stop snoring actually snore themselves

Good luck with that in Spain. I was "inside" a cafe bar in Pamplona yesterday and half the patrons were smoking which is against the law.

I snore and I know it! I can wake myself up at night just from the reverb in the room. My father snored and on boating trips he always spent his nights in the dinghy. Alas, no dinghy on the Camino.
I have experienced some inconceivable situation:
I asked a room full of pilgrims if they were light sleepers, one guy choose to sleep in another room which turned out to be full of drunks who got up at 4am;).
I took a nap at the municipal in Villafranca Montes de Oca and someone complained to the hospitaleros, they relocated me in private room fitted out for the archbishop:).
I won an award one morning in Logrono:cool:.
One very rainy, freezing night at Hospital de la Condessa some guy in the bunk below me, who was Atlantic Ocean commercial fisherman and you'd think with some experience with snorers, spent the entire night kicking my bed:mad:.
I've spent two nights at Reb and Paddy's place and someone asked Paddy in the morning if he remembered my snoring from the previous visit. He said it was epic:D.
I have tried the Breath Right strips but after walking all day long in the sun and after few days you will find yourself ripping the skin off of your nose pretty soon.
Frankly, I don't feel I'm responsible for your discomfort; get yourself some ear plugs if snoring is your problem o_O!

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The dental devices really do work to stop snoring! My dentist fixed me up with a Silent Nite device several years ago and I am now much more socially acceptable. This is a big change, since I am the daughter of a locomotive. Very easy for travelling, durable and lightweight. It has the added benefit of improving the quality of my sleep, since I'm breathing better.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How about we turn this around....if snoring bothers you that much, go stay in a private room.

At the start of my Camino I sensed a Spanish women was talking about my snoring to her friend. ( my grasp of Spanish is not good ). I asked her if she snored. She said not. I replied, don't worry, I'll give you lessons.

After taking a bit of stick I'm now paying to stay in private accommodation. The individual who repeatedly commented on my snoring now assumes I'm being elitist!

Communal living requires a little give and take.

Well done Marra, @ Introibo I spent a fortune staying in hotels and private rooms on my Camino, because I knew I was a snorer, in my six weeks I spent 5 nights in albergue.s. I was never picked on for snoring but because I washed my clothes in the wrong sink this guy had to take me by the hand and show me where I should have washed my kegs. Well I just had to inwardly smile and thought I hope he has his ear plugs with him.

If only albergues had a large fan or other source of white noise, snorers and non-snorers alike would sleep like babies. I once had the good fortune to walk with a man who used a CPAP machine, and I always grabbed the bunk next to his because the constancy of the noise drowned everything else out. I know that some cell phones have white noise-producing programs but I'm not they would be loud enough to cover up the snoring.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How about we turn this around....if snoring bothers you that much, go stay in a private room.

At the start of my Camino I sensed a Spanish women was talking about my snoring to her friend. ( my grasp of Spanish is not good ). I asked her if she snored. She said not. I replied, don't worry, I'll give you lessons.

After taking a bit of stick I'm now paying to stay in private accommodation. The individual who repeatedly commented on my snoring now assumes I'm being elitist!

Communal living requires a little give and take.
I agree 100%. You choose to walk across northern Spain all the while choosing to stay in dormitory style, communal living arrangements. Don't whine and cry if there is snoring at night. It comes with the territory.
I'm not a snorer, but honestly I don't remember any snorers keeping me awake on either of my Caminos. I slept soundly every night and never used earplugs.

I am an incredibly light sleeper and I will NEVER blame a snorer for keeping me awake. It is not their fault I sleep so lightly. Even heavy breathing will keep me awake. And, I have no right to criticize a snorer.....I talk and walk in my sleep worse than any of the loudest snorers. For that reason I will stay in private quarters and spare everyone the sleepless nights I could cause. :)

I walked with 2 very loud snoring guys from Sweden for 3 weeks. Took me 3 days & I could sleep thru it. The positive of their companionship was well worth my adjustment. But I witnessed many that were verbally assaulted. Please leave your anger at home.

I know this won't be an option for many, but a travel strategy I've developed is using my old iPod loaded with music I enjoy. Long flights, snoring, etc....my music always does the trick. Last year when my husband broke his hip in an Alberque in Estella, and spent 3 weeks in the hospital and hotels recuperating, he NEEDED distraction during long nights of discomfort. About 90% of my music is in Spanish, and he was very tired and frustrated not being able to communicate easily. He still says that Jack Johnson and Greg Brown ( the only two artists in English) made those nights bearable.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back