• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salvador en invierno

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Está complicado el Salvador estos días. Aunque la cámara no es de un pueblo por el que pasa el camino, tampoco está muy lejos. La cámara está a unos 1.100 metros de altura.

Salvador is complicated these days. Although the camera is not of a people by passing the way, is also not far away. The camera is about 1,100 meters.

http://babia.net/webcam

Seen from here on the meseta, the mountains all are solid WHITE with new snow. A warning sign for pilgrims considering a try at the San Salvador...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Looks pretty awesome to me.
It's one of the caminos I have been looking into especially for winter. It's not as dangerous as the Vadiniense in the Picos but it still comes up high enough to get some proper snow.

Aralla de Luna (1260m), no muy lejos de la Pola de Gordón o La Robla.

Aralla de Luna (1260m), not far from Pola de Gordon or La Robla.

ScreenHunter_12%20Jan.%2024%2007.45_zpsubs1gv6x.jpg

ScreenHunter_14%20Jan.%2024%2007.45_zpszgvp1hqc.jpg

ScreenHunter_13%20Jan.%2024%2007.45_zpszjrr2j2r.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
amazing photos!

This is high altitude: I have been subjected to blizzard conditions in May near Arbás del Puerto. Such a beautiful camino...

Aunque no es un puerto del Camino del Salvador, os podéis hacer una idea de lo que os podríais encontrar esta semana por las montañas del Primitivo y Salvador. Se prevé temporal duro estos días.

Although not a port of Camino del Salvador, ye can get an idea of what you could you find this week by the mountains of Primitivo and Salvador. Severe storm is expected these days.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When I arrived at Poladura de la Tercia on May 31st last year Ender asked me if the snow had gone from the peak (it had). Apparently it had been there but days before. I would most definitely advise against attempting it in winter - it would be extremely dangerous!

La Robla. Fijaros en la poca altura parece tener el tendido eléctrico del tren Asturias lleva incomunicada tres días con la meseta por tren.

La Robla. Pay attention to the little height seems to have wirings of Asturias train takes three days without communication with the plateau by train.

ScreenHunter_29%20Feb.%2006%2015.16_zpslbxfmidq.jpg

I have seen images on the telly, trains struggling to make progress through the snow. Poladura has now been isolated for three days, with no help arriving there at all, completely isolated and buried in snow. It must be something!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
En esta foto del satélite se puede observar toda la nieve caída estos días atrás en la mitad norte y el centro de la Península Ibérica.

In this photo the satellite can observe all the snow fall these days ago in the northern half and the center of the Iberian Peninsula.

ScreenHunter_35%20Feb.%2010%2023.47_zpssokw7xx7.jpg

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I thought the same thing looking at these photos. Wow.

How do you think this stretch (Salvador ) would be by last week of April Say from 24th?
Also., is there a lead up out of Leon to get your 'hiking legs ( easy/and or medium grades) , or do you go straight into the steep climbs?

I would like to start there but may be more sensible to bus to Oviedo.

Annie

Hi, Annie. The weather seems to vary so much from year to year. But I think the last week of April could still be snowy. I know Joe Flavin walked in April (earlier I think) and got hammered. I think Reb went in late April once and was in snow up to her hips, but maybe I'm misremembering. You could pm them. One possibility would be to start from Leon and when you get to Pola de Gordon find out what the conditions are. And then hop a bus to Oviedo if you have to -- since it's right on the Camino and the bus route.

The lead-up to the mountains continues up till about 5 (maybe 8) km after Pola de Gordon, in Buiza. From Leon to that point, there are some ups and downs but nothing serious. The ascents begin in Buiza, but they are not extreme ascents. They are breathtaking ascents, but you will lose your breath from the beauty not from any extreme elevation gains.

Will you be walking into Leon? If not, my idea about walking to Pola de Gordon may not be very helpful. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie
The weather seems a lottery year to year. I won't be walking into Leon. Only fixed point at this stage is flight into Madrid. Still plotting ! I've 3 weeks in Spain and initially thought of walking Holoron st. Marie across and walk Aragones to where it meets Frances. It would be a beautiful walk too but I see getting to starting point there would take some time from Madrid.
Thinking it may be less of a haul getting to Leon for a start and still have beautiful mountains . I just hadn't much about the degree of difficulty of the Salvador .
Annie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.