• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last min decisions

jbear

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to SdC march-may 2015
Technically not last minute because I don't leave for 3 weeks, but it is time to make some choices. My original plan was to go last fall (Sept-Oct), but due to a new job I am going this spring (Mar-Apr), so my pack is now a bit heavier. Since that's never a good thing, here are some choices I am considering. All numbers are totals, as in both packed and worn items.
I was at 19 lbs, 6 oz dry weight, from the skin out, so about 13 lbs (6 kg) for my pack and it's contents. If my math is right these changes only add about 5 oz in clothes.

I don't know why I'm agonizing over the numbers so much. I guess because I'm so close to 20 lbs and I weigh just under 200 lbs (91 kg). If I had gotten down to 190 like I wanted to I probably wouldn't care, but by the time I add water, food, and the usual pocket junk I'll be pushing 225 lbs (102 kg), and that sounds like bad news for the knees.

Hat (1.5 oz) or ear muff band (0.5 oz) Leaning toward the hat.

Swapping 2 of 3 my shirts from polly to wool
Short sleeve polly (4.5 oz) wool (5 oz)
Long sleeve polly (7oz) wool (9 oz)

Pants & shorts choices
Adding wool base layer bottoms (5 oz) These really will be a last min choice, depending on current forecast in the mountains when I leave.
Skipping the shorts and pants altogether. Just bringing 2 pair of zip off pants (26 oz) instead of 1 shorts, 1 pants, 1 zip off. (42 oz) Saves (16oz) w/o the base layer or (11 oz) with.

Blanket (38 oz) or sleeping bag (35 oz) Bag actually saves 3 oz, so it's a no brainer.

Slip on shoes (28 oz) instead of sandals (17 oz) Shoes would be nice, but I don't know if they're worth almost a pound. Was leaning toward the sandals until they broke. Now I'd need a new pair.

Gloves. I had none planned, so any is an increase. I was thinking I could just stick socks on my hands if I got too cold. However, considering the time of year, this seems foolish.
Extra pair of wool socks (2 oz) polly wind proof (3 oz) nomex & leather (4 oz)

Then there is the potential big weight saver, but it's also the one I don't want to let go- Leatherman CS4 (6.5 oz) But some of that savings is lost if I end up buying a pocketknife (2.5 oz) and/or corkscrew (2.5 oz) and I still give up scissors, eye glass screwdriver, pliers, & the rest.

Last one is weightless, but still a big decision. Fly into Paris or Madrid- my plan was CDG, but if weather is still bad maybe MAD would be a better choice, even if I do lose some of the personal symbolism.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Whoa, lots of choices!

1. Go with hat.
2. I can't imagine needing a corkscrew and pocket knife. Frankly, I can't see the sissors, eyeglass screws and pliers. You should easily find these things along the way, should you need them.
3. I took the train from Paris to Bayonne. Worst part of my entire journey. For me, it was a nightmare and I was very unhappy. Having said that, I may be in the minority and you should know that was my personal experience. When I go back (June, 2016), I am definitely flying into Madrid, or Biaritz.

I wish you a buen camino!

Hola

Most of our body heat escape from our head, so as the old saying state; if your hands are cold, put on a hat.
I would bring a hat or a beanie to wear when I am cold or it is raining.

2 shirts. Long sleeved. Wool so the odor of sweat, which you will be producing plenty of, is minimized, as well as the insulation, in my opinion, is superior.

1 pair of pants.
Bring some light weight indoor, sleeping pants, such as sweat pants.

Sleeping bag.

1 pair of walking boots/shoes.
Bring something for indoor, shower or to relax your feet.

Bring gloves. Wool gloves and hard mitten shell over those, for maximum water protection, or bring what you like.
Mornings will be cold and you need your hands to swing to produce kinetic energy and propel you forward.

Bring a smaller and simpler 'Swiss knife', and small scissors for cutting your nails.
You will most probably experience that your toe nails grow faster than normal, due to the extensive walking and the increased blood circulation.
The smaller tools, you can bring in a separate bag.

If you have the time, fly into Paris and take the train to Bayonne.
It gives you a day of relaxing and can be a very nice preparation to your walk.

Bring some safety pins. Can be used for many things on your walk.

I hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
13 lbs pack weight seems pretty light. Sounds like you've done a great job keeping the weight down.
As long as your pack fits well and is comfortable you should be fine.
Take the hat, gloves, and the ear muff band. For a couple ounces it's not worth being cold and miserable.

Bueno Camino!

Despite what was said above a pocket knife is indispensable especially if it also has a corkscrew! The Victorinox "Nomad" is small, lightweight and hasa lockable blade, a leather punch for boots or belts, a corkscrew, a screwdriver and a bottle opener, all of which I have used, use, and will use on numerous opportunities. Wouldn't walk without it.
8896051576862_SAK_0_8351_C__S1_74983_tif_1.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Regarding the all important :rolleyes: cork screw, next time I am seriously considering taking one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E43YU4/?tag=casaivar02-20 or similar with me. The tiny blade is still enough to cut cheese and chorizo, the bread I simply break, but having a good cork screw - priceless! SY

Hola

Most of our body heat escape from our head, so as the old saying state; if your hands are cold, but on a hat.
I would bring a hat or a beanie to wear when I am cold or it is raining.

Actually, my pediatrician years ago disabused me of that notion. But for me, the essence remains true -- I can walk when it's cold with my ears covered and my hands covered with wool and be quite comfortable in a lightweight fleece and light hiking pants. Buen camino, Laurie

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour

I would take the hat over the headband, but what little hair I have left is kept very short and I hate being cold.

I never travel without a corkscrew. Nowhere. Never.

I'd give the socks as mittens concept a try, but I don't think I'd be comfortable without use of my opposable thumbs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congratulations on getting it down to 6K, you will benefit from that hard work. Are you sure you are from the USA as most of your compatriots pack the kitchen sink and often seem to have the heaviest of packs. ;)

Thanks Al! I've done enough backpacking over the years to think small. My days of 50 lb packs ended when I exited the Marine Corps.

Scruffy1- That is a really good option. I have one of the older models like that, don't know why I didn't think of it. The only 2 things I lose are the pliers and opposable arm on the cork screw (think waiter's style/pulltaps).

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice! I'm getting very excited.

If you are flying in from the United States, in my opinion (having done both) it's much easier to fly into Madrid, get a bus to Pampona directly from the airport, spend a night or two in Pamplona adjusting to the time change, then either bus to SJPP or call Corazon-Puro and have them transport you. They offer a fantastic deal, but you'll need to book ahead.

The train trip from Paris to Bayonne to SJPP was exhausting for me and I'll never do it again.
I go every year, and I always fly into Madrid.
If you're going from the West Coast, you will need a day or two to adjust to the time change if you want to have a better start, imo.
The added benefit is that there is a LOT to see in Pamplona and once you've seen it, you can walk straight through or stop in Arre, and miss the wave of pilgrims.

The time change part is something I'm used to. I work midnights, so my sleep schedule is always messed up anyway. Just one of the negatives of my job.

I like your Pamplona plan. That makes a ton of sense.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whoa, lots of choices!

1. Go with hat.
2. I can't imagine needing a corkscrew and pocket knife. Frankly, I can't see the sissors, eyeglass screws and pliers. You should easily find these things along the way, should you need them.
3. I took the train from Paris to Bayonne. Worst part of my entire journey. For me, it was a nightmare and I was very unhappy. Having said that, I may be in the minority and you should know that was my personal experience. When I go back (June, 2016), I am definitely flying into Madrid, or Biaritz.

I don't want to hijack this thread but can you elaborate on why it was the worst part?
Thanks.

Actually, my pediatrician years ago disabused me of that notion. But for me, the essence remains true -- I can walk when it's cold with my ears covered and my hands covered with wool and be quite comfortable in a lightweight fleece and light hiking pants. Buen camino, Laurie

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour

Thank you peregrina.
I guess it was an old saying and now a better one could be;
if you are cold, cover some part of your body and if your head is unprotected, consider covering it.. :)

Lettinggo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah I have too and typically like the trains in France. I was curious about why she didn't like it, especially if was something other than the length. I have not trained that route, so just curoius.

I walked in May.
Simple, lightweight knit gloves would have been very welcome several days on the CF.
I took a pocket knife, which I used only a handful of times. More useful to me was a small blunt-pointed baby fingernail scissors. Useful for moleskin, duct tape, cord, nails, etc. The only thing it couldn't really cut was chorizo!!
I wore socks and sandals around town at the end of the Camino day. My toes appreciated the change of scenery.
I left from Paris, crazy time making connections, but, hey, it's part of the Camino!
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Whoa, lots of choices!

1. Go with hat.

Why did you not like the train from Paris to Bayonne? I am getting the 12:23 train..

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I never travel without a corkscrew. Nowhere. Never.
I'm with you on that, but don't try to carry one in carry on luggage. I did, inadvertently, and suffered quite a bit of embarrassment (I strongly denied there was one in my bag, having forgotten it was there, until they showed it to me on the X-ray machine) as well as losing one of my favorites.

Karl

Two buffs..keeps head warm, neck warm and you retain body heat. As far as wool are you an Irish fisherman in the cold Atlantic?...leave it at home. Wool and leather??? Sounds erotic and kinky

You should watch "that movie" for tips. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why did you not like the train from Paris to Bayonne? I am getting the 12:23 train..

That's the train I caught. Keep in mind that my experience was unique to me. Others may have had a wonderful trip.

Finding the right platform and getting to the train was stressful enough. I don't speak a- word of French.

- The train was over-booked and over-crowded.
- The French are not respecters of assigned seats. I got kicked out of a seat three times before I could settle down - after Bordeaux.
- Apparently French men do not feel the need to close the lavatory door. The Chicago subways smell better.
- The scenery was boring. It reminded me of Southern Indiana.
- The train was so crowded I could not get to the dining car. I was seriously dehydrated.
- My walking poles were broken when a guy tossed a suitcase the size of a sofa on top of my bag.

All I can say is that my train trip from Paris to Bayonne was a nightmare and I do not wish to repeat it.

Conversely, the from Pamplona to Madrid was wonderful! Clean, fresh-smelling, and interesting scenery. The seats were roomy, and the train car showed a movie (it looked like a good historical piece, but I could not understand the dialogue), and they passed out snacks at the beginning of the trip.

Given my personal experience with the two different trains, my vote is for flying into Madrid and taking the train to Pamplona.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm with you on that, but don't try to carry one in carry on luggage. I did, inadvertently, and suffered quite a bit of embarrassment (I strongly denied there was one in my bag, having forgotten it was there, until they showed it to me on the X-ray machine) as well as losing one of my favorites.

Karl

Karl, Current USA rules say corkscrews are ok for carry on bags as long as they have no blade. And they mean NO blade. As in the the small foil cutter on the average waiter style will cause it to be confiscated. I have one w/o a foil cutter for traveling. Try your local grocery store, that's where I bought mine.

Conversely, the from Pamplona to Madrid was wonderful! Clean, fresh-smelling, and interesting scenery. The seats were roomy, and the train car showed a movie (it looked like a good historical piece, but I could not understand the dialogue), and they passed out snacks at the beginning of the trip.

Given my personal experience with the two different trains, my vote is for flying into Madrid and taking the train to Pamplona.

Thanks for the detail. You've got me thinking about adjusting my flights. In defense of the French, even with my minimal French, I have always been treated with nothing but respect in and around CDG. The Air France people are incredibly helpful, too.

Hi Jim,

Many suggestions put forward already, but here are my thoughts based on my last Camino in 2011. I'm setting off 9th/10th March.

I don;t think you ned to worry TOO much about the weight as it sounds like you're pretty light at the moment (10% of bodyweight recommended?). If you're going soon/in Spring (as I did last time) I really don't think you'll need to carry much water. I just carried a small plastic disposable bottle and kept refilling along the way - you're never far from a cafe or drinking founding (different in summer I assume when you'll need more). Same with food - I enjoyed stopping for snacks as a treat rather than carrying. Less to think about.

I'm going through the hat/ear muff debate - I'm setting off next week and if like last time will be cool/cold to start and then become warmer along the way. I'm thinking of taking both but cheap hat that I don't mind binning or giving away after a week or two (or sooner if weather allows).

I would always go for merino wool in whatever you can afford - warm, breathable, light, just can;t beat it.

I'm taking leggings this year rather than trousers but they may not be appropriate for you!

I'm also taking Crocs which I've never liked the look of but I was SO envious of those that had them last year. They're incredibly light and waterproof but most importantly, the option to just kick your walking shoes off and straight into something that you don't have to tie/fasten and unfasten, still with your thick socks on if it's cold makes them a no brainer this time for me. They're also quite comfortable to walk in if to give your feet a break if you get blisters etc. I think the key advise I would give is go for slip on.

I've had similar debate about gloves and just gone for cheap fingerless gloves which I will chuck/giveaway when warms up.

I travelled via Paris and Bayonne last time and loved it. I wanted time to travel overland and unwind/read, reflect etc and that's exactly what it proved to be. The train was comfortable, good snacks and I enjoyed the scenery. I liked the sense of travelling through a country to reach my starting point, my excitement built as I got closer. I really didn't want to 'overshoot' the start point (Pamplona) and then go backwards to start - it just didn't feel right. Any train journey can be problematic as can any flight, but for me it was all about getting into the right headspace and beginning to feel like a traveller. I don't feel that on planes. This time I'm having 3 nights in Paris (last time I had just one) before I set off because it's one of my favourite cities in the world so again, a no brainer for me! A night in Paris will mean you can get the morning train to Bayonne and reach St Jean early evening with plenty of time to find a bed. Trains from Bayonne to St Jean are easy - same station you arrive at from Paris.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!

Angela

Karl, Current USA rules say corkscrews are ok for carry on bags as long as they have no blade. And they mean NO blade. As in the the small foil cutter on the average waiter style will cause it to be confiscated. I have one w/o a foil cutter for traveling. Try your local grocery store, that's where I bought mine.
Thanks for the tip; I didn't know that. Mine did have a foil cutter, so I guess the TSA guy was right. (He was also pretty decent about it, more amused than anything else as I kept insisting there was no corkscrew in my bag.) For treks, I now use an Opinal 10 with a corkscrew and just check it in a small bag with my poles.

Karl

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Technically not last minute because I don't leave for 3 weeks, but it is time to make some choices. My original plan was to go last fall (Sept-Oct), but due to a new job I am going this spring (Mar-Apr), so my pack is now a bit heavier. Since that's never a good thing, here are some choices I am considering. All numbers are totals, as in both packed and worn items.
I was at 19 lbs, 6 oz dry weight, from the skin out, so about 13 lbs (6 kg) for my pack and it's contents. If my math is right these changes only add about 5 oz in clothes.

I don't know why I'm agonizing over the numbers so much. I guess because I'm so close to 20 lbs and I weigh just under 200 lbs (91 kg). If I had gotten down to 190 like I wanted to I probably wouldn't care, but by the time I add water, food, and the usual pocket junk I'll be pushing 225 lbs (102 kg), and that sounds like bad news for the knees.

Hat (1.5 oz) or ear muff band (0.5 oz) Leaning toward the hat.

Swapping 2 of 3 my shirts from polly to wool
Short sleeve polly (4.5 oz) wool (5 oz)
Long sleeve polly (7oz) wool (9 oz)

Pants & shorts choices
Adding wool base layer bottoms (5 oz) These really will be a last min choice, depending on current forecast in the mountains when I leave.
Skipping the shorts and pants altogether. Just bringing 2 pair of zip off pants (26 oz) instead of 1 shorts, 1 pants, 1 zip off. (42 oz) Saves (16oz) w/o the base layer or (11 oz) with.

Blanket (38 oz) or sleeping bag (35 oz) Bag actually saves 3 oz, so it's a no brainer.

Slip on shoes (28 oz) instead of sandals (17 oz) Shoes would be nice, but I don't know if they're worth almost a pound. Was leaning toward the sandals until they broke. Now I'd need a new pair.

Gloves. I had none planned, so any is an increase. I was thinking I could just stick socks on my hands if I got too cold. However, considering the time of year, this seems foolish.
Extra pair of wool socks (2 oz) polly wind proof (3 oz) nomex & leather (4 oz)

Then there is the potential big weight saver, but it's also the one I don't want to let go- Leatherman CS4 (6.5 oz) But some of that savings is lost if I end up buying a pocketknife (2.5 oz) and/or corkscrew (2.5 oz) and I still give up scissors, eye glass screwdriver, pliers, & the rest.

Last one is weightless, but still a big decision. Fly into Paris or Madrid- my plan was CDG, but if weather is still bad maybe MAD would be a better choice, even if I do lose some of the personal symbolism.
SUN GLOVES - I'm surprised that I haven't seen a thread on protecting the hands from sun, so here is one. As an old fly-fisher I have watched my hands uncommonly age from sun. Holding a fish stick in the same position all-day, got lots of burn. When I walked my first section last year I took my sun gloves. You can find these Mangrove Sun Gloves at Americanflyfishing.com. These are a lightweight unlined stretchy nylon (?), sized (yes, available in XL) trimmed finger style. So all but my first two joints were protected from sun and pole wear. Simms makes a cold-weather insulated version. I wear these now on day hikes in California desert sun and a planned Grand Canyon walk. Reasonably priced around $17. Good website ordering experience.

One more last min choice, and could use a little advice:

Bus or train from Madrid to Pamplona? The only long distance trains I have used in Spain were down south- Sevilla toCordoba, for example. They were nice, but nothing I would call a "must do". Are the ALSA busses like Greyhound, or are they nicer?

Thanks in advance!

Bus. They coaches are nicer than Greyhound, though the new Greyhound fleet may be better. Take a Supra for additional room and comfort at a higher cost.

upload_2015-3-8_11-57-48.png

I took a train from Madrid to San Sebastian because I wanted to go to Arzak in San Sebastian. They next day I took a bus to Bayonne.
The fast train to San Sebastian leaves early - around 7:30 as I recall. We spent one night in Madrid at a place near the Atocha train station. It was an easy 10 minute walk. The train ride to San Sebastian was very nice. I slept the whole way and charged all my stuff up. Easy peasy.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back