• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugal Weather - Pilgrims - best time to walk

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal route from Lisbon in May (2015)
Via de la Plata from Seville in April-May 2017
My weather assumption for CP starting in mid/late-August is: still somewhat hot, but getting cooler not hotter. The Summer traffic is lessening by the beginning of September about the time I hit Porto. Even less traffic from Lisbon to Porto. One of my reasons for CP is less people vs Camino France, although multiple 30 km days is not appealing. At least it's mostly flat. Low traffic implies I shouldn't have issues finding Alburgues. Right? Any experienced opinions for taking Fatima vs Tomar. Besides the interesting Fatima story, I'm not Catholic so it holds no other special interest for me. Other pros/cons? Take a bus day trip there from Tomar?

Hmmm… I just noticed on a weather web site that June is about the same temps as Aug-Sept. How does the early Summer compare to late Summer in real life?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My weather assumption for CP starting in mid/late-August is: still somewhat hot, but getting cooler not hotter. The Summer traffic is lessening by the beginning of September about the time I hit Porto. Even less traffic from Lisbon to Porto. One of my reasons for CP is less people vs Camino France, although multiple 30 km days is not appealing. At least it's mostly flat. Low traffic implies I shouldn't have issues finding Alburgues. Right? Any experienced opinions for taking Fatima vs Tomar. Besides the interesting Fatima story, I'm not Catholic so it holds no other special interest for me. Other pros/cons? Take a bus day trip there from Tomar?

Hmmm… I just noticed on a weather web site that June is about the same temps as Aug-Sept. How does the early Summer compare to late Summer in real life?
There is no issue finding albergues inPortugal. Most albergues are privat and organised like hostals .only in Spain you'll find Xunta albergues. The most people will walk from Tui to Santiago for the last 100 kms.
find out yourself what Fatima is like. I have seen it that that was enough

Although there are averages of temperature, I'm finding summers to be more and more unpredictable here in Portugal. We have more and more heat from the mid-August, untill mid-October, than we had some years ago. For instance, we had a very tempered summer last year, but we had very hot days in September, and some in October too. You can still catch near 30's if you ask me, during the time that you talked about.

And in September there are still a lot of people walking it. One could say that there are more people walking the Caminho Português in September, due to the temperatures in August.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi Steve,
My wife and I rode the Portuguese Camino last May 2014, there might be some thing of interest in our blog to help you with your planning.
http://portugalcaminobike.blogspot.com.au/
Cheers
Gerry

ola steve - and welcome ...
i recall august being hot/humid and september as being warm/pleasant/less mosquitos and not as cool or cooler. but as diogo said: it's now more unpredictable ...
there is no need for lots of 30km days. i had none .... my max was 27km. but i am not from the turbo-brigade and had a slower pace anyway, and stopped more often. it's possible ... more and more accommodation seems to 'appear' and there is more to portugal caminho than what appears in guidebooks.
please do revisit the assumption that 'it's mostly flat' - it's not. unless you walk strictly at the beach ...
enjoy the planning ... and reading of lots of info on the caminho portuguese sub-forum ...
much to explore and to enjoy
bom caminho!
c

Hi Steve,
My wife and I rode the Portuguese Camino last May 2014, there might be some thing of interest in our blog to help you with your planning.
http://portugalcaminobike.blogspot.com.au/
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry and Heather.
Thanks for sharing this great blog .very well done, lots of interesting information, also for walkers and to me it brought the happy memories back.
Even found some addresses to stay for our next caminho, next May.

Best regards
Albertinho.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As one Steve to another, I can confirm that mid/late August is H-O-T. Of course, if you live in the Sahara desert, it may feel cool. If you're a Brit, it's still too hot for walking after 12 noon. I walked the Portuguese in 2011 and again in .... 2013? You can read my diaries on my web site. To my mind, the Porto to SdC is one of the most beautiful caminos. I may even be tempted to walk it again... if I live long enough!
As you can see, the average 'high' in August is 24.8 degs ... but 'average' means half the days will be hotter than that!

Fullscreen capture 27022015 085014.bmp.jpg
I hope this helps, Steve!
Buen camino, sin mucho calor ;)

As one Steve to another, I can confirm that mid/late August is H-O-T. Of course, if you live in the Sahara desert, it may feel cool. If you're a Brit, it's still too hot for walking after 12 noon. I walked the Portuguese in 2011 and again in .... 2013? You can read my diaries on my web site. To my mind, the Porto to SdC is one of the most beautiful caminos. I may even be tempted to walk it again... if I live long enough!
As you can see, the average 'high' in August is 24.8 degs ... but 'average' means half the days will be hotter than that!

View attachment 16660
I hope this helps, Steve!
Buen camino, sin mucho calor ;)
From with website you've got this Stephen ? a website about crystal balls ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I just finished a hike from Lisboa to Santiago, March 12 to April 10, 2015. I got one day of drizzle. The mornings were a bit chilly, but for the most part, the weather was perfect for walking. I highly recommend March to April to walk in Portugal.

There should be less people from Lisbon to Porto, even in August, but then onwards, although not super busy you can still find the main albergues full by mid afternoon. It can happen just be aware.
August can get pretty hot, in the north (Minho and Galicia), streams, rivers and water fountains are frequent, so there is some relief. In the south it might be worse.
Those with experience please chime in, but having lived for a while near Fátima, 30-35ºC, full sunshine was usual in August. Walking becomes less pleasant...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back