• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pole: About caring poles

Percentage of time, poles are carried as part of pack.

• Total voters

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
I am wondering for those who bring poles on the Camino what percentage of time are they actually being carried as part of your pack?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good question. I have never used poles but have always had pain in my knees when backpacking or hiking downhill. If I only use them for downhill and they give some relief then the will be a Godsend and I will gladly carry the weight.

On the Camino I used my poles only on the downhills, until I developed tendinitis in my lower shin; then I used them 100% of the time. When I go Camino again, I will use them 100% of the time - they provide a great upper body workout.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I usually put my poles in the pack when I'm walking around a big city, but other than that I use them. I agree with Icacos about the upper body workout, but I do it mainly to protect my knees.

I wasn't quite sure how to answer the poll, but I use my poles mainly on the downhills.
Otherwise, they're probably in (or on) my pack.

I usually put my poles in the pack when I'm walking around a big city, but other than that I use them. I agree with Icacos about the upper body workout, but I do it mainly to protect my knees.
I agree with you completely about using poles to protect one's knees; the upper body workout is an added bonus.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The only time my poles aren't in use is when I enter a building... they are in use for every step I take in pre Camino training and on the Camino itself, they're great 'support' for my bodgy knees

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always walked with my poles except on crowded urban streets where I risk hitting others or that last 50 yards before the albuergue (put up so they did not make me leave them by the door). Osprey's "stow on the go" system really is very good and surprisingly useful.

I've not yet walked the Camino, but I am a CONFIRMED POLE-AHOLIC, even when I go out on daily 3 to 5 mile walks along the roadside near our home.

FWIW, there are cheap poles, there are expensive poles. There are aluminum and carbon fiber poles. There are regular poles and Anti-Shock poles.

Anyone who is walking where there is a lot of pavement or very hard packed ground (or has a touch of Arthritis like me) would do themselves a huge favor by getting a set of ANTI-SHOCK poles. They add an OUNCE of weight to the pole but they eliminate the shock to your wrists/arms/shoulders each time you plant the pole.

My personal poles are a pair of LEKI brand, cost about $100 on Amazon. My daughter (age 20) had back surgery 2 years ago, she also uses LEKI Anti-Shock poles.

As others here have indicated, once you start using poles you realize how good it is to hike with them.

AND, once you start to use Anti-Shock poles you will be amazed how much better they are than regular poles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Because I have just a bit of scoliosis, the repetitive motion of continuous use of trekking poles causes a sharp pain in my mid-back from a pinched nerve where my spinal curvature occurs. The poles were OK for short distances (a couple of km or so), but otherwise I used them only for steep uphill and downhill grades.

I am wondering for those who bring poles on the Camino what percentage of time are they actually being carried as part of your pack?

They were hardly ever in my pack. In the last week or so I began to have some pain in my wrist so took a day or so break from the poles and really missed them. So maybe there is something to be said for those poles with shock absorbers in the handles. Don't know how they work.

One pole for steep downhill and creek crossings only at the moment, but that may change.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So maybe there is something to be said for those poles with shock absorbers in the handles.
Most of them have a spring in one of the sections. Whether a spring is a shock absorber is a bit of a technical point probably not worth worrying too much about. As the tip strikes the ground and you put pressure on the pole, the spring compresses with the increased pressure, presumably reducing some of the jarring that might be experienced with an unsprung pole. I have used both, and I am still not sure there is much difference.

As, I figure pack weight and am new to using poles I thought this poll would help me in my decision. I have a pair of poles and a single pole. Why? At Christmas a pair got split up, so they closed out the lone pole for $7 which otherwise would have been half of a $100 set. Go figure.

I do plan on trying them out more since I have seven months until I start, but for now it is chilly at -17c and breezy. I have pretty much decided to take something, but trying to decide one or two and how much use some give theirs versus an additional item to be carried.

Thanks to those who responded. I was wondering if anyone caught the pole on poll ;)

. . . I began to have some pain in my wrist so took a day or so break from the poles and really missed them. So maybe there is something to be said for those poles with shock absorbers in the handles. . .
I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when I was 24. Much of my pain is centered in my hands, wrists, arms. The shock absorbing poles are a better invention than sliced bread to someone with wrist pain.

. . . I have used both, and I am still not sure there is much difference.
I believe the biggest asset, and biggest felt differnce, is on very hard surfaces like asphalt, chip & seal, cobblestone, gravel. There is less benefit on dirt unless it is hard packed. No benefit on grassy fields, sand, in mud or soft ground.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm sort of replying to myself here, but in my last post, the last couple of sentences I indicated where I thought there were greater and lesser assets to having shock absorber polls. I'd like to add a bit.

I believe there is also more benefit going downhill than uphill because I tend to put more weight on my pole plants when going DOWNHILL so the Anti-Shock gets its workout on DOWNHILL portions of a hike. ALSO, when going downhill it helps to rotate your hands up onto the tops of your poles so your palm is on the top of the pole. Some grip designs are NOT well suited for this, but most of the poles by both Komperdell and Leki are made for this.

Further when going UPHILL for extended runs it helps to SHORTEN your poles --or-- to grab just beneath the grip. Again, some poles are well suited for this. Leki brand has a quick adjust strap that allows you to, on the fly, adjust the strap so you can 1) maintain your hand in the strap AND 2) grab just beneath the grip for ascents. Komperdell has several models that have an elongated grip, just for ascent.

Other brands may offer other features but these are the 2 brands with which I am most familiar.

You can see the grips on my set of poles, they have larger rounded tops that are designed for you to put your palms on the top (while your hands are still in the straps) so you can descend slopes under greater control. ALSO, while my grips are CORK + RUBBER, many people prefer all CORK grips for greater control/grip under varied climate conditions. Rubber is not as good in the rain or in winter. ALSO, the better designed poles have grips that are angled forward, some are lightly angled (mine have a 7 degree angle to them) while others are angled as much as 30 to 45 degrees. But the cheap discount store poles are vertical with no angle at all, this can lead to hand/wrist pain.
image_zpsff4266fc.jpg

Also, the top of 1 of my poles has a camera adapter to turn the pole into a "monopod" for photography.
image_zps573ee858.jpg

And then again here with the screw installed (which you leave attached to the bottom of your camera ... the camera mount installs with a simple twist of that red dial ... you only have it attached when you have the camera mounted onto the pole top.)
image_zpsea139d78.jpg

Another nice feature is the quick lock with measurement system. This allows you to stow your poles quickly, but the indicator marks allow you to return them to the SAME position for walking each time you use them. It is important to properly size your poles to your height!
image_zps95a29771.jpg

On my set of poles the Anti-Shock system is at the lower lock point and uses a stronger Cam-Lock design. While many people dislike the twisting Cam-Locks, they are in fact, stronger than the Quick Release style locks that are on the upper portion of my poles. (Again on the top pole in the photo you can see the measurement marks to return them back to the proper walking size)
image_zps174e24b9.jpg

Oh, and if you DISLIKE the 'click-click-click-click' sound of the carbide tips on hard surfaces you can install various types of rubber bumpers on the tips. These are exercise tips, great for road walking. I also have a set of general purpose rounded tips. Be sure to buy high quality VULCANIZED rubber tips because the carbide tip points won't poke through them, and the asphalt roads won't wear them down quickly.
image_zps9ad4449e.jpg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.