• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Heart Longs for the Camino...

Scott Ptak

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2019?)
My heart longs for the Camino de Santiago... I have visited this pilgrimage 1000 times in my dreams: I have walked every step, looked out over the wheat and poppy fields, walked through the dense forests, was in awe of the mountain vistas, laughed and learned with and from the other pilgrims from around the world. I have walked where tens of thousands over the centuries have walked before me. I have reflected deeply and I have been touched by God. The Camino has already brought me on a spiritual journey and I have cherished every moment. Planning, praying, dreaming of the day when it will become a reality... Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You've described very eloquently the fact that the Camino is far more than just undertaking the walk itself. It is part of you after you return home and never leaves you, but it also becomes part of you as soon as you read/learn about it and decide you are going to undertake it one day.

I hope your dream becomes a reality one day :O)

Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Scott, I see you have a long lens camera there...can you see the Camino thru there?

Please don't take that as a dig...rather a positive.

Having a long range view of your future endeavors are the stuff of motivation and accomplishment; seeing clearly the pitfalls and speed bumps can engender success.

Buen Camino,

Arn

"Blessed are those who dream dreams and work hard to make their dreams come true" Cardinal Suenens.

Scott "You got to have a dream. If you don't have a dream, then how you going to make a dream come true."
I first heard of the Camino in the 1980's but with four very small boys it had to remain a dream for a long long time, but it came true.

Buen Camino to you in the not too distant future.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My heart longs for the Camino de Santiago... I have visited this pilgrimage 1000 times in my dreams: I have walked every step, looked out over the wheat and poppy fields, walked through the dense forests, was in awe of the mountain vistas, laughed and learned with and from the other pilgrims from around the world. I have walked where tens of thousands over the centuries have walked before me. I have reflected deeply and I have been touched by God. The Camino has already brought me on a spiritual journey and I have cherished every moment. Planning, praying, dreaming of the day when it will become a reality... Buen Camino
Hy Scott, it is great to have dreams like this.Hope that you have a great time walking on the Camino. I wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

My heart longs for the Camino de Santiago... I have visited this pilgrimage 1000 times in my dreams:find the wait walked every sCaminooked out over the wheat and poppy fields, walked through the dense forests, was in awe of the mountain vistas, laughed and learned with and from the other pilgrims from around the world. I have walked where tens of thousands over the centuries have walked before me. I have reflected deeply and I have been touched by God. The Camino has already brought me on a spiritual journey and I have cherished every moment. Planning, praying, dreaming of the day when it will become a reality... Buen Camino
I
Peter,see my reply to thread "the urge to walk (jan25) and you will see that you are not alone in ''long time dreaming". You will get there,and will find the wait worth it.Buen Camino

Welcome Scott and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Scott, you are not the only one who dreams of the camino every night. I can hardly wait for June 2016 to finish my camino.

My heart longs for the Camino de Santiago... I have walked where tens of thousands over the centuries have walked before me. I have reflected deeply and I have been touched by God. The Camino has already brought me on a spiritual journey and I have cherished every moment. Planning, praying, dreaming of the day when it will become a reality... Buen Camino
Scot, Hope your dream come true! Reminds me of a pilgrim's reflection on the Camino. I am not certain which village though. You are not alone.

Attachments

• cfr1.jpg
    cfr1.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 14
  • cfr2.jpg
    cfr2.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 14
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Scott -

The following poem is displayed on one of the walls at Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal, just past Astorga. I believe it's quite a well-known poem and it's very beautiful. I hope that you and everyone following this thread enjoys it. I share it with thanks to Piers Nicholson and all the people at Internetworks Ltd.

The Camino
When we started, we did not know - exactly - why we were doing it
We had lives which were - more or less - satisfactory
We had friends known much of our lives
We had children - changed from chrysalis to butterflies
We had things:
things like machines
things like music
things like pictures
things like shelves full of books
things like money and pensions and security
We did not have one thing - and maybe that was why we started

When we started, we put one foot in front of the other
We still did not know - precisely - why we were doing it
The miles passed - many of them pleasantly
Our feet blistered and were slow to heal
Our ankles turned on loose stones
The rain beat its way through our clothes
The cold chilled the marrow of our bones
Some nights, refuge was hard to find
Some days, miles of hot dust had no fountains

When the first few of many long days had passed
We found - without words - that we no longer walked together
That together we spoke in our own tongues -
and often of things we had left behind where we began
That together we shut out new experience with the wall of our togetherness
That alone we spoke in other tongues and of our common experience
That alone we were open - open with interest and curiosity.
Often we met - with gladness - at the end of the day
To know our paths went on together was enough

When we got to the cathedral we sat down
We saw - through the eyes of those long before us
The blinding faith, the crucial thirst for salvation
The tower slowly closing off the sky
And we counted our blessings - several hundred of them
Starting with the kindness of ordinary people on the way
And with the warmth of other travellers on the road
Travellers not at all like us - not in age, not in origin, not in interests
But warm across all these distancings
And ending with the friendship and love
We had left behind where we began.

When we got to the sea at the end of the world
We sat down on the beach at sunset
We knew why we had done it
To know our lives less important than just one grain of sand
To know that we did not need the things we had left behind us
To know the we would nevertheless return to them
To know that we needed to be where we belonged
To know that kindness and friendship and love is all one needs
To know that we did not - after all - have to make this long journey to find this out
To know that - for us - it certainly helped

written near Sanguesa, Navarra, September 2003

The link to the poem is http://www.santiago-compostela.net/en_poem.html

Take joy in every step -
Cheers - Jenny

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Scott, it is a wonderful dream. I know that somehow, when the circumstances are right, when you are meant to go, it will happen. It will fall into place.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back