• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just how is a well-fitted backpack supposed to feel?

Annie G

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
I'll be 69 when I walk the Camino in June/July 2016. I'm moderately fit but have some degenerative changes in my back common for my age. Have tried on many, many packs and finally settled on a man's Osprey Strattos 36 as the torso length seems quite comfortable for me. It rests nicely on my hips. After wearing it around the house, weighted with 10%, I am experiencing some strain in my upper back. The upper compression straps are cinched down as far as they can go and I still see a little gap between my shoulders and the pack. Not sure if this is the fault of the fit or of my decrepit back! Or that I'm not as fit as I think I am...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The normal pack has a waist belt and shoulder straps.
The waist belt should ride on, or just above your hips taking the load. You should be able to easily slide your fingers under the shoulder straps.
Pack lightest toward the bottom of your pack gradually topping off with heavier items.
Then again, you shouldn't have any heavy items

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If it is causing back strain and you are only wearing it around the house then something is not right. I don't like to keep pushing these because they are expensive, but if your back really is a problem then this may be the answer : http://www.aarnpacks.com

The alternative may be to consider getting your pack carried.

I found I was adjusting the load lifters too much which caused a big gap with my shoulder straps and my shoulders/back. Once I learned to adjust all the straps in the correct order, this stopped happening and the discomfort did as well.

For my pack, the recommended order should be : Waist belt, should straps, small chest strap, load lifters (at the top of the shoulder straps.)

Here is a good video form REI http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-adjusting-fit.html

There are some others good references there as well - like packing, etc.

Good luck!

Hi, @Annie G -

I cannot disagree with the good advice provided by @Arn and @Kanga. However, they have a ton of experience and just might have forgotten more about pack adjustment than some of us will ever learn! :)

Try this:

1) Empty the pack.
2) Put the pack on and adjust the hip belt to ride just at or slightly over the hips. Adjust the hip belt for a snug fit but leave the shoulder and compression straps slightly loose.
3) Take the pack off and re-fill it as you expect to carry it but (and differing with @Arn) put the heaviest items centered and closest to your spine! That is the way the packs were designed. see this link:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/how_to_pack_your_pack

4) Put the pack back on, fasten the hip belt, then adjust the shoulder straps. There is no need to over-tighten. When, as @Arn noted, you have them comfortably snug but can yet easily slide a finger under them, go ahead and fasten the chest strap.
5) Now go look at yourself in a mirror and see if the pack's top is level across your shoulders. Assuming your shoulders are normally the same height from the ground, you should work with the straps to get that line level.
6) After that, then you can use the compression straps to tighten the pack contents. This makes the load more compact and easier on the back.

(I see that @nomadpeah just weighed in with similar advice.)

Do not under-estimate the impact of being even an inch off-level. The leverage can create significant forces which will result in pain, usually in the upper back.

If this does not solve the problem then forwarding your pack is probably the best bet. And, if you are having pain in your lower back, I would suggest forwarding your pack anyway.

Buen Camino!

B

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Is it possible to go back to the store where you purchased the pack and have them show you how to adjust it (fully loaded with your items) to your body?

The first pack I purchase was the wrong size frame (measurements were all wrong the first time.) If you go back as @Ahhhs suggests, perhaps they can double check the frame measurements as well.

And great advice from @simply B !

If it is causing back strain and you are only wearing it around the house then something is not right. I don't like to keep pushing these because they are expensive, but if your back really is a problem then this may be the answer : http://www.aarnpacks.com

Thanks for the link to Aarnpacks. I did check them out and am intrigued. I wonder what their return policy is. Have to admit that I am a slave to REI because of their stellar policy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, @Annie G -

I cannot disagree with the good advice provided by @Arn and @Kanga. However, they have a ton of experience and just might have forgotten more about pack adjustment than some of us will ever learn! :)

Try this:

1) Empty the pack.
2) Put the pack on and adjust the hip belt to ride just at or slightly over the hips. Adjust the hip belt for a snug fit but leave the shoulder and compression straps slightly loose.
3) Take the pack off and re-fill it as you expect to carry it but (and differing with @Arn) put the heaviest items centered and closest to your spine! That is the way the packs were designed. see this link:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/how_to_pack_your_pack

4) Put the pack back on, fasten the hip belt, then adjust the shoulder straps. There is no need to over-tighten. When, as @Arn noted, you have them comfortably snug but can yet easily slide a finger under them, go ahead and fasten the chest strap.
5) Now go look at yourself in a mirror and see if the pack's top is level across your shoulders. Assuming your shoulders are normally the same height from the ground, you should work with the straps to get that line level.
6) After that, then you can use the compression straps to tighten the pack contents. This makes the load more compact and easier on the back.

(I see that @nomadpeah just weighed in with similar advice.)

Do not under-estimate the impact of being even an inch off-level. The leverage can create significant forces which will result in pain, usually in the upper back.

If this does not solve the problem then forwarding your pack is probably the best bet. And, if you are having pain in your lower back, I would suggest forwarding your pack anyway.

Buen Camino!

B

Thanks! I had no idea that there was a sequence of adjustments. This was not explained at the well-known sporting goods store that I usually frequent. Makes total sense. I will definitely try this before I take the pack back.

Our old packs fit really well. We hate the new type with the extra adjustors because no matter what we do the shoulder straps do not fit as well causing discomfort with the loaded pack. If there is a simpler style with the straps stitched to the top edge of the pack you might find you can get a better fit. You would then have waist belt, shoulder adjusters and chest strap without the extra straps needed at the top of the shoulders. Fortunately we realised earl and have kept the new packs for practise but with a lighter load and will take the old ones on the Camino.
If a pack is wrong at home it will be far worse on the Camino :( IMO.
If the pack fits well you will hardly know it is there - so long as you are not overloaded. :)

One additional point to remember that's seldom mentioned...make sure that the waist belt has plenty of room to adjust. Nearly everyone loses at least some weight on the Camino, myself included. As I kept tightening my waist belt, I soon realized that it had gone as far as it would go, which meant that it slipped down over my hips and placed more weight on my shoulders. I was able to compensate somewhat by duct-taping a spare pair of socks on the inside of the waist belt, but that did not completely solve the problem (however, it did make for some interesting conversations).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One additional point to remember that's seldom mentioned...make sure that the waist belt has plenty of room to adjust. Nearly everyone loses at least some weight on the Camino, myself included. As I kept tightening my waist belt, I soon realized that it had gone as far as it would go, which meant that it slipped down over my hips and placed more weight on my shoulders. I was able to compensate somewhat by duct-taping a spare pair of socks on the inside of the waist belt, but that did not completely solve the problem (however, it did make for some interesting conversations).

Now there's something to look forward to.

I'll be 69 when I walk the Camino in June/July 2016. I'm moderately fit but have some degenerative changes in my back common for my age. Have tried on many, many packs and finally settled on a man's Osprey Strattos 36 as the torso length seems quite comfortable for me. It rests nicely on my hips. After wearing it around the house, weighted with 10%, I am experiencing some strain in my upper back. The upper compression straps are cinched down as far as they can go and I still see a little gap between my shoulders and the pack. Not sure if this is the fault of the fit or of my decrepit back! Or that I'm not as fit as I think I am...
Annie, I also experience pain in my upper back. Tried several packs and settled on the Ospray Manta 36, mainly for its hydration sleeve. While the pack was comfortable to carry, i would still get upper back pain that gets progressively worse. I started shipping my pack ahead and carry only a day pack. The back pain is considerably less and does not affect my walking. I concluded that the strain is due to poor posture and a weaker upper spine area due to my heavy torso/belly weight. So, if the pain persists be prepared to transport your pack and get a day pack to carry some water/food etc.

Annie, I also experience pain in my upper back. Tried several packs and settled on the Ospray Manta 36, mainly for its hydration sleeve. While the pack was comfortable to carry, i would still get upper back pain that gets progressively worse. I started shipping my pack ahead and carry only a day pack. The back pain is considerably less and does not affect my walking. I concluded that the strain is due to poor posture and a weaker upper spine area due to my heavy torso/belly weight. So, if the pain persists be prepared to transport your pack and get a day pack to carry some water/food etc.

Thanks for the recommendation. I hope not to use pack transport as I want a little more flexibility in when and where to spend the night. My posture isn't bad and I don't have a heavy torso but do have degenerative joint disease in my spine that is stable according to a recent x-ray. Maybe I just need strengthening exercises for upper back/shoulders. Go figure.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the recommendation. I hope not to use pack transport as I want a little more flexibility in when and where to spend the night. My posture isn't bad and I don't have a heavy torso but do have degenerative joint disease in my spine that is stable according to a recent x-ray. Maybe I just need strengthening exercises for upper back/shoulders. Go figure.
Strengthening exercise yes. I see you also have ample time to prepare. Why not carry the pack in your training walks and test your back. Assuming you are going to do the entire Camino, this would be a long walk. On the days that you don't feel like carrying your pack, one can just leave the pack at the alberque/hostel with a tag of your next destination and go. The backpack transport is that organized on the Frances. You will come to know many people begin to do this and enjoy a more relaxed walk. There are so many villages and albergues in close proximity on the Frances, it is not that difficult to plan out your walk on some difficult days.

Strengthening exercise yes. I see you also have ample time to prepare. Why not carry the pack in your training walks and test your back. Assuming you are going to do the entire Camino, this would be a long walk. On the days that you don't feel like carrying your pack, one can just leave the pack at the alberque/hostel with a tag of your next destination and go. The backpack transport is that organized on the Frances. You will come to know many people begin to do this and enjoy a more relaxed walk. There are so many villages and albergues in close proximity on the Frances, it is not that difficult to plan out your walk on some difficult days.

Heck, if I'm going to do that, I'm going back to REI and get a 65L pack! With wheels! Seriously, though, I get what you're saying and, realistically, I cannot be certain that I won't use the transport service if it means that it is the only way I can walk the Camino.

Hi Annie. Here are two thoughts. 1. Did you try the womens Sirrus version of the Stratos? That is what I carried and it worked great for me. 2. For about 3 months before my Camino last fall, I went to the gym 3 - 4 times per week and worked on upper body strength (back, chest, shoulders, abs etc.) I also trained for about a month with the pack nearly full. I think this really helped strengthen my back which gave me no problems on my 37 day Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Annie. Here are two thoughts. 1. Did you try the womens Sirrus version of the Stratos? That is what I carried and it worked great for me. 2. For about 3 months before my Camino last fall, I went to the gym 3 - 4 times per week and worked on upper body strength (back, chest, shoulders, abs etc.) I also trained for about a month with the pack nearly full. I think this really helped strengthen my back
which gave me no problems on my 37 day Camino.

Actually I did but they did not have the 36L in stock at the time. Thanks for the reminder. May have to order one.

Have you tried a women's fit pack. The shoulder straps are fitted differently.

Have to admit that I am a slave to REI because of their stellar policy.
I too am a slave to REI!! They did not stock any packs that fit me as well (due to my 15" torso length) as the Mammut Crea Light that I walked my camino with. What they didn't mind at all was, they allowed me to bring in my Mammut - purchased elsewhere (plus all the camino kit items that over the years I've bought from REI) to see if I had it adjusted correctly. I was very very close!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had a rucksack that I considered too heavy/large 60L so bought a lighter/smaller one....which seemed fine, packed and worn round house for hours on end.....but gave me the most awful aching shoulders imaginably after an hour walking outside....have now gone back to my original one....preened a bit more off weight of clothes to offset heavier sack and it is brilliant... no aches anywhere

I had a rucksack that I considered too heavy/large 60L so bought a lighter/smaller one....which seemed fine, packed and worn round house for hours on end.....but gave me the most awful aching shoulders imaginably after an hour walking outside....have now gone back to my original one....preened a bit more off weight of clothes to offset heavier sack and it is brilliant... no aches anywhere
60L too big for 'carry on'? Don't want to check pack to fly from US.

60L too big for 'carry on'? Don't want to check pack to fly from US.
Luckily not having to travel so far....it's practically empty.....but comfortable ....my shoulders are my weak point

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am the same age and have similar degenerative back problems. Just a suggestion - try repacking your pack as you may have the weight distributed incorrectly. (I also worried about the gap between my shoulders and the pack, but it didn't cause any problem once I had the weight distributed better).

I am the same age and have similar degenerative back problems. Just a suggestion - try repacking your pack as you may have the weight distributed incorrectly. (I also worried about the gap between my shoulders and the pack, but it didn't cause any problem once I had the weight distributed better).

Nice to know that someone with a back like mine actually made it. You don't happen to have my knees as well, do you?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Pack lightest toward the bottom of your pack gradually topping off with heavier items.
Really? I was always told the opposite. Why would want heavy things on the top? Wouldn't that increase pulling at the shoulder level?

I don't like to keep pushing these because they are expensive, but if your back really is a problem then this may be the answer : http://www.aarnpacks.com
Kanga, I have a question about the Aarn Packs: what happens to us ladies who are not built like young boys in the front? Those smaller bags that go in the front make me wonder ....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Compression straps? Which ones are those?

Nice to know that someone with a back like mine actually made it. You don't happen to have my knees as well, do you?
Annie, the good news is that voltaren is available over the counter in Spain. I suffer from a lombar issue, and Bextra was my saviour, until it was pulled from the market. On Camino I will use voltaren as a profilactic: 1 a day (they have slow release mostly) and then a third of a cyclobenzaprime muscle relaxant at night. And do consider having your back shipped, at least for the more challenging stages.

Hi @Annie G , to answer your question of 'just how is a well-fitted backpack supposed to feel?' - my Deuter pack feels as though it was made for me and I have no discomfort when I carry 8-9kgs of carefully packed gear.

It didn't always feel like that - and it doesn't feel that way when I carry extra weight. All the great advice re. packing and straps should help you decide if you have bought the right pack.

I also recommend working on your core strength before you go as this will help you with all aspects of hiking and carrying a backpack.

Thanks @nomadpeah for sharing the REI video - it's really helpful.

Buen Camino!

Nuala

Kanga, I have a question about the Aarn Packs: what happens to us ladies who are not built like young boys in the front? Those smaller bags that go in the front make me wonder ....
Pending Kanga's reply, Anemone, I asked a similar question as I'm very interested in the Aarn pack & Kanga replied. Apparently there's a metal bar in each front bag which can be bent to accommodate your chest shape (& allow air to circulate). Even for men, these bars are important (for air circulation), seemingly one person removed them thinking to save on weight & he suffered from sweating etc. Also you can use the front bag for a day pack in the evening, again info from Kanga. I'm hoping to buy an Aarn pack for my first Camino when I'm next back in Europe on R&R.
Suzanne :)

Pending Kanga's reply, Anemone, I asked a similar question as I'm very interested in the Aarn pack & Kanga replied. Apparently there's a metal bar in each front bag which can be bent to accommodate your chest shape (& allow air to circulate). Even for men, these bars are important (for air circulation), seemingly one person removed them thinking to save on weight & he suffered from sweating etc. Also you can use the front bag for a day pack in the evening, again info from Kanga. I'm hoping to buy an Aarn pack for my first Camino when I'm next back in Europe on R&R.

Yes, Suzanne is absolutely right, the front pockets have a bendable rod backbone - just shape it so there is a comfortable gap between body and pockets. I've got the Featherlite Freedom with a long backlength and medium pockets. The smaller Aarn packs often come in just one backlength. If there is a choice be careful - people assume because I'm just an average height woman that I should have the short back length, but in fact the correct one for me is long. A too short back length will not be comfortable. The front page of the Aarn website tells how to measure and what size to get - pm me if you need more information. The Featherlite is probably too big for most camino walkers but I prefer to have a comfortable frame and a bit of extra space. Plus this time we're carrying a tent, sleeping mats, sleeping bags....

Really? I was always told the opposite. Why would want heavy things on the top? Wouldn't that increase pulling at the shoulder level?
@Anemone del Camino, this is a good question. The way I look at this problem is this. Your pack alters your centre of gravity, moving it slightly further back, and depending on how you have packed it, a little or a lot further up your body. You will adjust for this by bending forward enough so that the new centre of gravity for your body and pack combined is back above your feet. For the same amount of horizontal displacement of the centre of gravity, the higher the new centre of gravity is, the less you have to bend forward to return to your equilibrium point. To achieve this, pack heavier things higher in the pack.

This gets us to the issue you raise, that is the amount of leverage the pack is causing on your shoulders, ie pulling back on the shoulder straps. The fulcrum point for this leverage is where the pack sits on your hips Here we are only worried about where the centre of gravity of the pack is positioned in relation to that point. To minimise the leverage at the shoulders, one must minimise or eliminate the horizontal distance the centre of gravity is from that fulcrum, ie one wants the centre of gravity to be as close as possible to the back of the pack, or as close as possible to your body.

In combination, this leads to the advice to pack heavier things high and close to the back of the pack (and close to your body).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for that explanation. I would love to see a profile picture of this. Also, do you happen to know how all the parts stay together for example for when you check your bag on a flight?

@Anemone del Camino I take the front pockets off for the flight and turn them into a day pack. Alternatively I put them inside the main pack for the trip. Some of the smaller packs are carry-on, mine is a bit big.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Anemone del Camino -

The compression straps are the ones typically found on the sides, at an angle to the vertical though some makes will also have a couple on the back. They do not tie into the hip or shoulder straps, they only serve to compress the pack contents when they are tightened. If that does not help, PM me and I'll see what else I can do to explain.

B

Annie, the good news is that voltaren is available over the counter in Spain. I suffer from a lombar issue, and Bextra was my saviour, until it was pulled from the market. On Camino I will use voltaren as a profilactic: 1 a day (they have slow release mostly) and then a third of a cyclobenzaprime muscle relaxant at night. And do consider having your back shipped, at least for the more challenging stages.
Can you get Voltaren in the US or do I need to trek to Canada? I'd like to try it out now.

Hi @Annie G , to answer your question of 'just how is a well-fitted backpack supposed to feel?' - my Deuter pack feels as though it was made for me and I have no discomfort when I carry 8-9kgs of carefully packed gear.

It didn't always feel like that - and it doesn't feel that way when I carry extra weight. All the great advice re. packing and straps should help you decide if you have bought the right pack.

I also recommend working on your core strength before you go as this will help you with all aspects of hiking and carrying a backpack.

Thanks @nomadpeah for sharing the REI video - it's really helpful.

Buen Camino!

Nuala
Have been taking an "Ai Chi" class for core strength. For those of you who have no idea what that is, it's like Tai chi but is done in a pool, preferably warm salt water. Resistance strengthening, core and balance training. And feels great on the old joints.

Can you get Voltaren in the US or do I need to trek to Canada? I'd like to try it out now.
My guess is that it must ba available around the globe. Generic name is "Diclofenac". It comes in regular and slow-release. It does not cause me any stomach problems, but have heard others have problems with it. It also comes in a gel or cream. I'm sure you have seen the TV adds on the TV, I think it's called Emugel and the concentration is 1%. My compound pharmacists makes it as well, but at 2%. I have never felt the relief from the cream or gel, so I chose to stick to pills.

@Anemone del Camino, this is a good question. The way I look at this problem is this. Your pack alters your centre of gravity, moving it slightly further back, and depending on how you have packed it, a little or a lot further up your body. You will adjust for this by bending forward enough so that the new centre of gravity for your body and pack combined is back above your feet. For the same amount of horizontal displacement of the centre of gravity, the higher the new centre of gravity is, the less you have to bend forward to return to your equilibrium point. To achieve this, pack heavier things higher in the pack.

This gets us to the issue you raise, that is the amount of leverage the pack is causing on your shoulders, ie pulling back on the shoulder straps. The fulcrum point for this leverage is where the pack sits on your hips Here we are only worried about where the centre of gravity of the pack is positioned in relation to that point. To minimise the leverage at the shoulders, one must minimise or eliminate the horizontal distance the centre of gravity is from that fulcrum, ie one wants the centre of gravity to be as close as possible to the back of the pack, or as close as possible to your body.

In combination, this leads to the advice to pack heavier things high and close to the back of the pack (and close to your body).

Which brings me to the question of waist packs: how do they figure into the total weight and weight distribution.? I am assuming that their weight should be included into the 10% rule but just how much should be maximized off the front of the body? Perhaps Aarn packs have this all figured out. Or maybe waist packs are not a good idea?

Which brings me to the question of waist packs: how do they figure into the total weight and weight distribution.? I am assuming that their weight should be included into the 10% rule but just how much should be maximized off the front of the body? Perhaps Aarn packs have this all figured out. Or maybe waist packs are not a good idea?
I would pass on the waist pack. All you risk with it is forgetting it someone where your essentials. Brought something similar to one of those on my first walk, thinking it would be handy to have camera, cards, lip balm on hand. I now shove all that in my various pockets.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Annie G, I normally try not to get too exercised over the so-called '10% rule'. The advice to pack light is sound. Any suggestion that there is some arbitrary 10% limit is just superstitious nonsense - untraceable to any authoritative source, a mere magic number. I think it might work as a reasonable target for a summer camino, but should treated with caution otherwise.

I personally prefer to use a 'from the skin out' (FSO) weight target, which includes clothes, boots, poles, pack and waistpack if you are using one. I think a waist pack should be included in your calculations of pack weight if you are using 10% target for that as well.

And on you other question, I think that the design of most waist bags is such that the centre of gravity is going to be relatively close to the body, and they are normally not so large that they will generate a large turning moment that will unbalance the wearer.

Last edited:
You are 100% right. At the time I wrote this, I may not have been:D Here is a great link that makes packing easy to understand.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/loading-backpack.html

Thanks for getting me back on track.
@Arn and @Anemone del Camino, thank you for prompting me to think about this again.

I have never taken the time to work out the rationale for the advice that one should pack heavy things close and high, but not too high. It seems to be an argument about dynamic stability rather than the static balance issues that I discussed earlier. The line of reasoning might be similar to that in vehicle design where as the height of the centre of gravity increases, the toppling moment during cornering becomes larger, and it is easier for the net effect of all the forces acting on the vehicle to act beyond the edges of the vehicle track and wheelbase. It is at that point the vehicle will start to overturn.

For a walker, that base of support is largely about the width and length of one's stride, and whether an aid like trekking poles are being used to increase both the width and length of this support base. I can see that if the pack's centre of gravity gets too high, it would be possible when bending to the sides or backwards or forwards for the centre of gravity to fall outside the support base.

I can also attest from practical experience that the consequence of this is to fall over, as I did when attempting to negotiate a stile on a somewhat steeper hillside in Norway on St Olavs Way. My support base was particularly small - the middle step on the lower side of the stile, and the construction of the stile forced me to be more upright than perhaps I had expected. The effect was for me to slowly topple over and land on my back on top of my pack.

So this is one of those compromise issues. Packing heavy stuff closest to the back of the pack and nearest the body is not a problem, but then it should be packed high, but not so high that it creates balance problems. I can see some trial and error happening here to get this right.

Last edited:
Dougfitz, you poor man, have you been wrestling with this issue all day? I have to admit, I did wonder about the 'heavy close to the back' theory this morning. When I used to drag my large hanging toiletry bag that's were it would go, by default, but if not carrying that item, what else is there that is heavy and could go along the back?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dougfitz, you poor man, have you been wrestling with this issue all day? I have to admit, I did wonder about the 'heavy close to the back' theory this morning. When I used to drag my large hanging toiletry bag that's were it would go, by default, but if not carrying that item, what else is there that is heavy and could go along the back?
@Anemone del Camino, do not fret! I have been out walking most of the morning, having a lovely chat with a Kiwi woman now living in Australia who is walking the CF later this year. @biarritzdon, if you see this, she is flying into your hometown. I will PM you with some questions she asked.

When I used to drag my large hanging toiletry bag that's were it would go, by default, but if not carrying that item, what else is there that is heavy and could go along the back?
Water is probably the most obvious item in a pack set up for the Camino, and if you are using a bladder, having that in a sleeve at the back of the pack is good. These have been around for some time, but more recently, have been augmented by various clips or fasteners that stop the bladder falling to the bottom of the pack.

I also try and make sure that things like my toiletries, first aid kit, phone and camera chargers, and similar items are also carried close. My food bag goes on top of my pack as well, but that is as much about access and not crushing any fruit as it is about any purism on where to carry that part of my load.

It's not like my bushwalking set up, where there is cooking equipment in particular to think about. In general on the camino, I think beyond some basics, I am more driven by having access to things that I might need quickly (rain jacket and trousers, guide books or first aid kit) than by weight distribution issues.

Last edited:
Key "easy access"things in Pack:
Dry socks, ibuprofen/naproxen, anti-chafe stick, bandages, second skin, poncho/windbreaker (depending on WX projection), sandels, chorizo/hard cheese snack.
What else would you add?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Key "easy access"things in Pack:
Dry socks, ibuprofen/naproxen, anti-chafe stick, bandages, second skin, poncho/windbreaker (depending on WX projection), sandels, chorizo/hard cheese snack.
What else would you add?
Corkscrew?? And enough money for the next coffee or meal! There isn't much that needs to be close once one is walking.

Water, yes, of course, close to the back. Now that I carry a sleeping bag I thow that at the bottom and the toilletries. Then I pile in laundry kit and clothes, with, in the top part, anything I may need during the day, ie rain gear. I don't think we carry enough gear to every truly have to worry about all this, do we?

Thanks for this link. I have not seen this type of pack before. It makes perfect sense. Has anyone walked the way with it? What did you experience?

Thanks for this link. I have not seen this type of pack before. It makes perfect sense. Has anyone walked the way with it? What did you experience?
This will bring out the Aarn aficionados! Every report on it here by forum members who have used it is highly favourable. I have borrowed one, and other than much more complicated harness arrangements, it seems looks like it will deliver on its promises. I have spoken to one bush-walker who has been using an Aarn pack, and her only caution was too take care when buying it to get it fitted properly, and her hint was to make sure that the sales staff showed you exactly how to make each of the adjustments on the pack needed to ensure that the load is off your shoulders.

This will bring out the Aarn aficionados! Every report on it here by forum members who have used it is highly favourable. I have borrowed one, and other than much more complicated harness arrangements, it seems looks like it will deliver on its promises. I have spoken to one bush-walker who has been using an Aarn pack, and her only caution was too take care when buying it to get it fitted properly, and her hint was to make sure that the sales staff showed you exactly how to make each of the adjustments on the pack needed to ensure that the load is off your shoulders.
I'm doing the Camino in June/July. Would the Aarn pack be too hot?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I've used Aarn packs on 6 caminos, including from SJPDP to SDC in hot weather - mid June to end July - and am convinced they are the best. The rods in the front pockets are shaped (you can reshape to fit) to hold them away from the body for cooling and the back has a mesh trampoline. You need the right size (measure your back length according to the instructions on the Aarn website) and you need to understand all the straps and what they do. It takes a bit of commitment (videos on YouTube) but once fitted properly you forget it's on - except for the convenience of having water, camera, wallet etc at hand in front pockets.
And just to assure everyone I have no connection whatsoever to the company.

I've used Aarn packs on 6 caminos, including from SJPDP to SDC in hot weather - mid June to end July - and am convinced they are the best. The rods in the front pockets are shaped (you can reshape to fit) to hold them away from the body for cooling and the back has a mesh trampoline. You need the right size (measure your back length according to the instructions on the Aarn website) and you need to understand all the straps and what they do. It takes a bit of commitment (videos on YouTube) but once fitted properly you forget it's on - except for the convenience of having water, camera, wallet etc at hand in front pockets.
And just to assure everyone I have no connection whatsoever to the company.
Just occurred to me: could this pack be taken as 'carry on' from US?

@Annie G mine is too big (I have the Featherlite Freedom) but some of the smaller models are.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Finally found the pack I love! Thanks to Thomas at Eugene, Oregon REI! It's an Osprey Sirrius 38. It feels great with 15 lbs. I could walk forever with this thing. It has the vented back that I really wanted as I am doing a Summer Camino. What a relief!

When we decided to walk the Camino, we purchased our backpacks from REI and they made sure they actually fit our bodies. After our fitting, they packed them with the weight we planned to carry and had us spend some time walking around the store. This fitting saved me on our walk because the backpack actually felt as if it was part of me and even though I also have back issues, I finished the walk (775 Km) with no problems.

For me, preparations began with a visit to a reputable outdoor shop, since I am a novice in the area of backpacking. That said " A Journey of 800 kms begins with a trip to MEC" If you got your backpack at a good place, they should have people on Staff there (usually backpackers themselves) who can assist you with choosing a backpack and adjusting it to fit you. I strongly advise taking you backpack to the place you bought it and ask for help. If the place is worth its proverbial salt, they will be pleased to help.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.