• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of walking camino north in June 2015

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
I am thinking of walking the camino north in June.after walking the camino Frances I want to go back......I just received the guide and start reading it.....I just wanted to ask if the camino north is well signed as it was the camino Frances. Even thought I have already walked the camino the idea of starting a new one makes me anxious ......because it's something new. ...
Any information would help....
I have also bought the guide for camino Portugues and really don't know in which one to concentrate......
I know I want to go back and I know that I would know anything until I go there as it happened with the camino Frances I just wanted some information from people that have walked both caminos!
Buen camino!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Every new Camino is scary. I walked the Camino Frances three times before venturing on a new route. But now I'm up for any route - provided there are villages not too far apart. Remember that feeling of achievement when you reached Santiago - that feeling that if you could walk the Camino Frances you could do anything? You will be fine. We'll be just ahead of you. We're planning the Norte and Primitivo in May and June.

The Norte is well marked and... now there are many pilgrims.
Many people who are doing a first camino are choosing the Norte because they have heard of the crowding on the Frances. Lots of first time Europeans. We only ran into one other American couple and only a couple of Canadians.

We walked the Norte in August & September. 2014 and were amazed at the number of people as we had not expected the numbers.
I would compare it to the numbers on the Frances in 2009 and 2010. Lots of people around but not a parade.
Good albergues and beautiful views along the coast. Different atmosphere than the CF.

It is a bit more difficult walking because of hills in places...but no big deal. If you walked the Camino Frances without problems....you will have no problems on the CdN.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I also get anxious before any new outing, even if I rationnaly know better. For some reason I keep imagining I will be walking in true wilderness, with not a soul in sight, when I know this is really a walk trough semi-rural areas. And you should see me reevaluating what I pack when I seem to have a good recipe already ;0)

I walked from Donostia to Llanes in September and it is really not scary. Now there are many more albergues than a few years ago, so distances are manageable. There are hills, but nothing like SJPP to Roncesvalles (mind you, the Brusco between Santona and Noya is in my opinion dangerous as it is very very steep in some places, with nothing but a ravine behind you should you fall, so perhaps taking the road around it would be safer for some. But if I made it, just about anyone can make it). I was lucky because in 17 days of walking I only got 1 day of rain.

I did find it a bit more difficult to get into a "mental groove" because you walk through towns and cities much more often than on the Frances, and cities where I just had to take time to visit: Donostia, Gernika and its Peace Museum, Bilbao and the Gugenheim, Santander, Santillana, the Gaudi buildings in Comillas and and and. But the walks along the ocean, and especially the San Julian beach outside of Hazas or your way to Laredo (though the mountains and not the road)... nothing like it.

I have not walked the Portuguese, it is in my plans, but for now I chose to walk where my roots are and stick to Spain.

No matter what you chose I am convinced you will appreciate it.

I am thinking of walking the camino north in June.after walking the camino Frances I want to go back......I just received the guide and start reading it.....I just wanted to ask if the camino north is well signed as it was the camino Frances. Even thought I have already walked the camino the idea of starting a new one makes me anxious ......because it's something new. ...
I have also bought the guide for camino Portugues and really don't know in which one to concentrate......
I know I want to go back and I know that I would know anything until I go there as it happened with the camino Frances I just wanted some information from people that have walked both caminos!
Buen camino!!!

Hi Angeliki, Nice to see your post. From experience I can tell you, having walked the first half on Del Norte and then El Primitivo (turning off at Oviedo), returning to El Norte (Friol to Sebrado des Monxes) to meet up with friends and consequently finishing in Santiago in May and June of 2014: you will not have trouble finding your way with one rare exception. The Norte is significantly less travelled than the Frances, on average I met between 5-15 people a day. Beautiful scenery… Don't miss the beautiful cities of Gernica and Lugo !
Buen Camino !

Buen camino!!!
Hi, I walked the Francis in Sept/2013 and the Norte in June/2014. The trails are generally well marked. I got lost couple of time because i didn't pay close attention to the waymarkings. But the villagers will put me right back on the trail. Waymarkings in some cities/villages can be confusing though. With a good guidebook, you will be ok. Here is my itinerary from June 2014. You picked the best time i think, enjoy.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mitivo-may-25-june-27-2014.27811/#post-226937

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I walked the Francis in Sept/2013 and the Norte in June/2014. The trails are generally well marked. I got lost couple of time because i didn't pay close attention to the waymarkings. But the villagers will put me right back on the trail. Waymarkings in some cities/villages can be confusing through. With a good guidebook, you will be ok. Here is my itinerary from June 2014. You picked the best time i think, enjoy.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mitivo-may-25-june-27-2014.27811/#post-226937
Thank you so much for you msg!
Well I am searching now and I hope I will arrange all details and departure 17/6/15 from Greece to experience for one more time a great way..... I am kind of scared but so I was when I did my first camino last summer.

Hi, I walked the Francis in Sept/2013 and the Norte in June/2014. The trails are generally well marked. I got lost couple of time because i didn't pay close attention to the waymarkings. But the villagers will put me right back on the trail. Waymarkings in some cities/villages can be confusing through. With a good guidebook, you will be ok. Here is my itinerary from June 2014. You picked the best time i think, enjoy.
Wow I just read what you wrote...it was really helpful and made me even more excited to get back there!
Thank you!

Thank you so much for you msg!
Well I am searching now and I hope I will arrange all details and departure 17/6/15 from Greece to experience for one more time a great way..... I am kind of scared but so I was when I did my first camino last summer.
It is normal to be a bit apprehensive at first. Once you get going your instincts and experience will kick in and you will be al-right. I walked from May 26-June 30. Even then, accommodations were getting filled up. I had to reserve 1-2 days in advance, specially towards the end of June. I see you are starting later in June, just be prepared for a bit more traffic specially through Bilbao and Santander. Unlike Francis, watch out for nasty dogs on the primitivo. Good walking stick should come in its defence. Couple of incidents on my walk. Enjoy your walk.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is normal to be a bit apprehensive at first. Once you get going your instincts and experience will kick in and you will be al-right. I walked from May 26-June 30. Even then, accommodations were getting filled up. I had to reserve 1-2 days in advance, specially towards the end of June. I see you are starting later in June, just be prepared for a bit more traffic specially through Bilbao and Santander. Unlike Francis, watch out for nasty dogs on the primitivo. Good walking stick should come in its defence. Couple of incidents on my walk. Enjoy your walk.
Instead of a walking stick, try sausage. No dogs on the route, then you have a tasty snack...

Hi Angeliki
I am planning to walk the Norte from Irun at the same time as you. I plan to be in Irun around the 17th june so maybe we will meet up :)
ps i have not walked the Camino before but chose the Norte to get away from the crowds.

Hi Angeliki
I am planning to walk the Norte from Irun at the same time as you. I plan to be in Irun around the 17th june so maybe we will meet up :)
ps i have not walked the Camino before but chose the Norte to get away from the crowds.

I will be starting from Irun on June 17 also, with a group of 4. We chose this route to get away from crowds, and see the coast. We plan on leaving the Norte and to join Primitivo.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You said you had to reserve 1-2 days in advance towards the end of June? I will be starting in Irun June 26 of this year and am wondering if I should make reservations before I go. Also, did you just use your cell phone to make reservations while you were on the trail or how did you do that?

You said you had to reserve 1-2 days in advance towards the end of June? I will be starting in Irun June 26 of this year and am wondering if I should make reservations before I go. Also, did you just use your cell phone to make reservations while you were on the trail or how did you do that?
Normally, If you are staying in a helpful Albergue, you can ask them to make a reservation for your next night. But, be warned some of the alberques (municipals) are not even staffed and those hostels one stays in along the busy tourstic part of the norte are not exclusive to pilgrims. So, they won´t even know what Camino is, let along help you book a room. So, i end up using my cell phone most of the time. If you are not from Europe, make sure you have an unlocked phone and get a prepaid sim card in spain. You can get them at any local phone asscessory stores . Lots cheaper. Some albergues allow you to book through their web page, but rare.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Every new Camino is scary. I walked the Camino Frances three times before venturing on a new route. But now I'm up for any route - provided there are villages not too far apart. Remember that feeling of achievement when you reached Santiago - that feeling that if you could walk the Camino Frances you could do anything? You will be fine. We'll be just ahead of you. We're planning the Norte and Primitivo in May and June.
In the fall of 2016, I am planning on walking the Norte to Primitivo to Santiago. I am curious to see how your May-June trek went. Can I leave my little tent at home? With the exception of spending extra time in a city here and there, how many days does it take to walk at the fastest? Did you begin in Irune? Thanks!

@Katie Soup we started in Irun and stayed on the Norte, we did not take the Primitivo in the end. I'm glad we did because it was lovely and very enjoyable. We started on 8 May and walked into Santiago on 20 June. I would not take the tent again.

Normally, If you are staying in a helpful Albergue, you can ask them to make a reservation for your next night. But, be warned some of the alberques (municipals) are not even staffed and those hostels one stays in along the busy tourstic part of the norte are not exclusive to pilgrims. So, they won´t even know what Camino is, let along help you book a room. So, i end up using my cell phone most of the time. If you are not from Europe, make sure you have an unlocked phone and get a prepaid sim card in spain. You can get them at any local phone asscessory stores . Lots cheaper. Some albergues allow you to book through their web page, but rare.

I've just done the del Norte, staying most of the time in casas rurales, pensions, and hotels. They all knew about the Camino, most offered pilgrim discounts, and they frequently made arrangements for my next stop. Web booking is rare, and one could not count on them responding to email within a day (or two, or three), so using a Spanish sim or a Spanish movil is a very good idea.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't sleep well in the dormitory accommodation in albergues, so I usually take a room elsewhere. Some albergues offer private rooms, so I take that when I can. This time, I walked from Aviles from 7 June and arrived in Santiago on 27 June, and I did not find it too busy. There were about 20-30 pilgrims per stage. I had no trouble finding a place to stay but it may be different in the peak periods of July and August. Rajy62 is right in that pilgrims are not the only show in town and this is very different from the Camino Francese-- the Bay of Biscay and its interior is the seaside and cool northern hills holiday zone for people from Madrid and innkeepers focus on them-- but we are well known. Local people are hospitable and helpful-- pilgrims who walk the Primitivo as well as the del Norte in western Asturias and Galicia will certainly remember the welcome.

Thank you so much!
@Katie Soup we started in Irun and stayed on the Norte, we did not take the Primitivo in the end. I'm glad we did because it was lovely and very enjoyable. We started on 8 May and walked into Santiago on 20 June. I would not take the tent again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back