• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from SJPdP on April 30

I am taking the mid-morning train from Paris on 28 April which means I arrive at Bayonne at 15:30. It looks like the bus/train schedule will put me in SJPP be a bit late so I have reserved the Express Bourricot if anyone else is interested in the ride share.

The pick up is scheduled for 16:00.
Hi Nomadpeah I am leaving Bordeaux on the 28th planning on getting the train to Bayonne that arrives at 15.30 must be the same as yours is the offer still open to share a ride to St. Jean Pied de Port?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Change of plans...I hope. If I can get a bed (I have started the process), I will stay in Orisson May 1st! I had a moment of craziness thinking I wanted to get to Roncesvalles. When I told my mother (who is 84) that I was going to go that far my first day, she said, "What? Is this a race?" Still doling out great advice!
Hello Suzanne. I am walking over from SJPdP with my brother and his partner on 30th April and staying at www.refuge-orisson.com on 1st May so may see you that evening. Goodluck with your booking. Tony

Hi Nomadpeah I am leaving Bordeaux on the 28th planning on getting the train to Bayonne that arrives at 15.30 must be the same as yours is the offer still open to share a ride to St. Jean Pied de Port?

Hi Jenny,

Yes I think so! How great that you are on the same train? We just emailed Caroline with the service here: http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/contact-and-booking/

I once read in the announcements sections there were social group you can start based on when people are traveling. We seems like the perfect bunch for that.

I'll see what I can figure out.

Leah

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jenny,

Yes I think so! How great that you are on the same train? We just emailed Caroline with the service here: http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/contact-and-booking/

I once read in the announcements sections there were social group you can start based on when people are traveling. We seems like the perfect bunch for that.

Leah
Sounds like a great plan Leah. I would like to be a part of the group.

Stephen

Hi Jenny,

Leah
Hi again Nomadpeah do I need to book with Caroline? Sorry my brain is foggy must be getting excited!! Sounds like a great idea I would love to be a member of the group :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So I ended up returning my original backpack for one with a smaller sized frame and 40% less volume. I took it out today in the ice and snow and it seem to fit great. We'll see. Only 60 sleeps left.

The old Gregory J 65L is gray .View media item 2183.
New Gregory J 38L is on the right (plum). View media item 2182
wow I am impressed don't think I could go so small I have way too much stuff I know I shouldn't but can't help myself !!

So I ended up returning my original backpack for one with a smaller sized frame and 40% less volume. I took it out today in the ice and snow and it seem to fit great. We'll see. Only 60 sleeps left.

Leah - Are you bring the cat as well???

Hi again Nomadpeah do I need to book with Caroline? Sorry my brain is foggy must be getting excited!! Sounds like a great idea I would love to be a member of the group :D
Hello Jenny, I think there are eight spots on the transport. Because this is posted on a public forum and everyone who reads doesn't respond, I contacted Caroline. It will be fun traveling with those we have been communicating with.
Stephen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I arrive in SJPdP on the evening of April 28th. I will spend the 29th getting information and shopping for last minute supplies and will start the morning of the 30th. Stephen
Hello Stephen. I think you will be a good day ahead of me as I am leaving SJPdP on 30th April and taking it slowly with stop-over at Orisson that night. If I ever catch up with you (unlikely!) look forward to meeting you and the others over a glass of cerveza or good vino! Buen Camino. Tony

Hi Jenny ,

I tried to message you last night but kept getting an error. We have been asking/arranging for the ride seperately/individually. The company or Caroline puts the riders together naturally and cuts the cost for everyone. We don't have to do the grouping, I was just the first to ask and reserve a time. So the more riders we have at the same time, the less we all pay.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Stephen. I think you will be a good day ahead of me as I am leaving SJPdP on 30th April and taking it slowly with stop-over at Orisson that night. If I ever catch up with you (unlikely!) look forward to meeting you and the others over a glass of cerveza or good vino! Buen Camino. Tony
Hey Tony, there are a number of people leaving on the 30th , me being one of them. A number are stopping at Morrison, I am going to try and make Roncesvalles that day. I want to meet up with Buz who is starting there on the 1st. I have over 40 days set aside to make the journey and don't want to make a race of it. I think in the back of my mind I think that if I go all the way to Roncesvalles ( which is said to be one of the toughest sections of the Camino ) I will gain confidence about the journey. Or, it could be my young brain trying to write a check my body can't cash. Lol. I will be in SJPdP the 29th getting last minute things so maybe we will meet there. Have a great journey, Buen Camino. Stephen

wow I am impressed don't think I could go so small I have way too much stuff I know I shouldn't but can't help myself !!

When I returned the old bag to REI, it was packed for my "worst case scenario" meaning lots of extra stuff. We tested it all in the 38L and it fit great. All 20+lbs. I thought I needed the extra space, but naturally didn't. I primarily returned because the frame size was too large.

I stoped for coffee on my walk yesterday and while reading my guide book, I came across this quote:

"A pilgrimage is a great metaphor for life. What are you carrying that is not necessary?”

It was very well timed. New pack = good decision.

When I returned the old bag to REI, it was packed for my "worst case scenario" meaning lots of extra stuff. We tested it all in the 38L and it fit great. All 20+lbs. I thought I needed the extra space, but naturally didn't. I primarily returned because the frame size was too large.

I stoped for coffee on my walk yesterday and while reading my guide book, I came across this quote:

"A pilgrimage is a great metaphor for life. What are you carrying that is not necessary?”

It was very well timed. New pack = good decision.
He talks to us in many different ways, if we are open to listening.
Stephen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a 38L Osprey. Everything seems to fit in although I keep debating certain items. Sometimes they're in, sometimes they're out. But then that's the fun planning part!

Looking forward to seeing you all in SLPdP and beyond. Only two months now!

Laurel

Hey Tony, there are a number of people leaving on the 30th , me being one of them. A number are stopping at Morrison, I am going to try and make Roncesvalles that day. I want to meet up with Buz who is starting there on the 1st. I have over 40 days set aside to make the journey and don't want to make a race of it. I think in the back of my mind I think that if I go all the way to Roncesvalles ( which is said to be one of the toughest sections of the Camino ) I will gain confidence about the journey. Or, it could be my young brain trying to write a check my body can't cash. Lol. I will be in SJPdP the 29th getting last minute things so maybe we will meet there. Have a great journey, Buen Camino. Stephen
Good luck with walk to Roncesvalles. Not a cheque I am able or willing to write as it would definitely not be paid by my pathetic body!! Say hi as you wiz past me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Your back pack looks wonderfully compact and light and will no doubt feel lovely as you glide past peregrinos on Camino huffing and puffing with theirs! ... I may have to rethink mine

Orisson on April 21st. I'm keeping my miles short the first week....so you all should catch me before Burgos. Wanted: a Camino family. This is my prayer.
Oh: I am taking an REI down sleep sack (lighter than the non down) warm to 40 degrees
What a great group this is going to be !

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Nomadpeah and jostony! I have a 45L and I'm thinking of rethinking too. Nomadpeah, thanks for your post!!!
I have an Osprey Kestrel 48L and I am happy how comfortable it feels on me and how stuff fits into it - just need to jettison some fears and leave a few things at home to get to reach ideal 10% weight. Oh and get fit and lose some body weight and stop worrying about blisters, bed bugs etc etc. The sooner I get on with it and start walking the Camino the better!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi jostony I too am planning to leave on 30th and have booked that night at Orisson so see you there!!
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A great, gregarious, and gorgeous Gaggle!

(Two thumbs up ;) )

So, I created social forum today thinking it would be useful to this "gaggle". It's called April/May 2015 CF Crew and can be found here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/social-forums/april-may-2015-cf-crew.13/

I think you have to ask to join, but after that just post like normal. I started a thread just to get the ball rolling. Anyone can join, and if you like it or think of others, please pass it along! I was thinking I could invite everyone, but I am not seeing that as an option. I have no idea what I am doing , here but thought I would give it a go.

Good idea? Bad idea? What do you think?

NP

I just found the invite section - incoming ya'll!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just found the invite section - incoming ya'll!!
As it is raining hard I have put off walking, so I am fine-tuning (ok playing) with my packing list and deciding what to cut out and take and weighing everything again. I am dithering on water. I have now decided to leave my water bladder and will instead take a deuter pulse one front holster with a 500ml nalgene bottle for easy access. I have a second 500ml nalgene bottle which I will carry in packback. Initially thought I would carry 3 bottles and 1.5 litres of water. So my question is can I get away with just carrying 2 bottles and 1 litre?

As it is raining hard I have put off walking, so I am fine-tuning (ok playing) with my packing list and deciding what to cut out and take and weighing everything again. I am dithering on water. I have now decided to leave my water bladder and will instead take a deuter pulse one front holster with a 500ml nalgene bottle for easy access. I have a second 500ml nalgene bottle which I will carry in packback. Initially thought I would carry 3 bottles and 1.5 litres of water. So my question is can I get away with just carrying 2 bottles and 1 litre?
That seems like ample water to me, but I am a newbie like you. I think there are a few parts of the Maseta that we need extra water, but from what I understand, there are many many places to resupply otherwise.

That being said, do you usually consume a lot of water on walks?

This might be a good questions for the veterans in a new or water related thread.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That seems like ample water to me, but I am a newbie like you. I think there are a few parts of the Maseta that we need extra water, but from what I understand, there are many many places to resupply otherwise.

That being said, do you usually consume a lot of water on walks?

This might be a good questions for the veterans in a new or water related thread.
Thanks. Probably drink more now I have it to hand rather than stretching to reach into backpack. I will start a new thread and invite the experts to comment.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... So my question is can I get away with just carrying 2 bottles and 1 litre?
Easily, for the very few stretches were you might need more just buy a PET bottle of soda the day before and use that one. Buen Camino! SY

Thanks. Probably drink more now I have it to hand rather than stretching to reach into backpack. I will start a new thread and invite the experts to comment.
It looks like you asked a great question - good job on the new thread - lots of responses.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The biggest stretch that comes to my mind is Carrion to Calzadilla - everything else is much shorter! SY

The biggest stretch that comes to my mind is Carrion to Calzadilla - everything else is much shorter! SY
Thanks for heads up. I will study the each next days walking distances and likely stopping points to ensure I carry a water reserve. I don't like driving car when tank is low and prefer to fill up more regularly so will adopt similar mindset when on Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am leaving Roncesvalles on the 1st of May. Hope to meet you on the Camino.

Buen Camino
Buz Radican, an old man out for a long walk
Buz, I may have to meet you farther down the road. Looks like I am going to have to get a hernia procedure. Hope to get it done next week to give me over a month to recover and get drugs out of my system. I think I will stop in Orrison the night of the 30th and go slower over the mountain. I will let you know for sure next week . look forward to meeting.

Stephen , the not so "superman" lol

Buz, I may have to meet you farther down the road. Looks like I am going to have to get a hernia procedure. Hope to get it done next week to give me over a month to recover and get drugs out of my system. I think I will stop in Orrison the night of the 30th and go slower over the mountain. I will let you know for sure next week . look forward to meeting.

Take care of yourself, Stephen.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Heading up the hill on 28th April. So I expect to see the 'Red Nail' Brigade thundering past me before Pamplona!

I will be the expired 'would be' Pilgrim at the roadside in Grey...

I suspect I may hear you coming ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Heading up the hill on 28th April. So I expect to see the 'Red Nail' Brigade thundering past me before Pamplona!

Hope there will be no thundering, that could be distracting.:rolleyes:

You will recognize my "Aussie" accent !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

A red-nailed thumbs up for you as I pass!!! (or maybe I will stop to "keep you company" (read: rest).

Cut 'n pastes are never fun. Been there, done that. I will not be going that fast, so I expect you to catch me soon. Seems like you will be in good company in Orrison. Movie night with my bride. Watching The Way for the 5th time.

Keep in touch. See you on the trail.

Burn Camino and good luck with the doctor

Buz

Sounds painful. I am sure your family will rightly nag you to take it easy and listen to your body as you embark and progress on through the Camino. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi y´all! I still don´t know if on the 30th I´m staying at Orisson or going to Roncesvalles. If I am, it would be great to join you at the Refuge Orisson (and if there´s an extra bed!), if not, I am sure I´ll meet you all somewhere down the road.

Stephen, I hope you get well soon. Pamela.

Hi y´all! I still don´t know if on the 30th I´m staying at Orisson or going to Roncesvalles. If I am, it would be great to join you at the Refuge Orisson (and if there´s an extra bed!), if not, I am sure I´ll meet you all somewhere down the road.

Stephen, I hope you get well soon. Pamela.
Thank you Pamela, I am trying to get space at Orrison now, haven't heard back. Looking forward to meeting you on the path.
Stephen

€46,-
Hi guys,I'll be on the trail on May 1st and am just finding your thread. I couldn't get in to Orrison but was able to get into Kayola just a short distance from you all. It's supposedly the Orrison overflow. Hope to see you all at the Dinner/Breakfast.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was attracted to this post by the mention of a 30 April departure date. I began my camino frances at SJPdP on 30 April 2013 and it turned out to be a most wonderful experience, both socially and spiritually. May I wish you all a buen camino, while I 'grapple' acute pangs of envy!!

Hi guys,I'll be on the trail on May 1st and am just finding your thread. I couldn't get in to Orrison but was able to get into Kayola just a short distance from you all. It's supposedly the Orrison overflow. Hope to see you all at the Dinner/Breakfast.
Hello Tink, There seems to be a good group all leaving within a few days of each other. Good to have another member of the team. If we don't cross paths hope you have a great journey. Buen Camino, Stephen

Hello Tink, There seems to be a good group all leaving within a few days of each other. Good to have another member of the team. If we don't cross paths hope you have a great journey. Buen Camino, Stephen
Thanks Stephen,it does seem as though a bunch of folks are leaving a day earlier then myself. And after reading through the threads you all sound like a fun group !

Thanks Nomadpeah for inviting me to the thread. I'm still a beginner on this forum stuff. But I'm in! Yeah!!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back