• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train ticket from CDG Paris to Bayonne

ydan

Time of past OR future Camino
March, April or May 2015
I just booked my flight to Paris and I will arrive on the 7th of March.
However, I have not booked my train to Bayonne yet.
Can I buy a train ticket to Bayonne from Paris on the same day?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hy , I think the best way is to buy your ticket in advance. Wish you a Buen Camino.

Hy , I think the best way is to buy your ticket in advance. Wish you a Buen Camino.

I couldn't book online anymore that's why I wanted to know if it's still possible to buy it at the station on the same day.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes. You can buy the ticket the same day that you will be using it. However on the fast trains all seats are reserved and in busy periods it is possible that the train you wished to take is fully booked and unavailable.

I couldn't book online anymore that's why I wanted to know if it's still possible to buy it at the station on the same day.
As mspath said, the train you want is probely fully booked. Try a different departure time , maybe you are in luck.

What I implied is that a desired train MAY be fully booked. This happens on the fast TGV trains ie Paris to Bayonne during peak periods. However it is never a problem on the local TER trains where seats are not reserved ie Bayonne to SJPdP.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Can you tell us more about "why you can't book online anymore"? I am not sure if mean technical issues , or if the train is sold out etc.

Can you tell us more about "why you can't book online anymore"? I am not sure if mean technical issues , or if the train is sold out etc.

I will be arriving in Paris on the 8th March. I tried to buy train ticket online but my chosen date which is 8 March from Paris to Bayonne is highlighted in gray (meaning you cannot choose these dates). The next dates that can be booked ahead of time are like a month from now.

I just checked the SNCF site and tickets are available from Montparnasse to Bayonne on every train on 8/3.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have just checked voyages sncf uk site and there are two trains leaving CDG for Bayonne,it depends when your flight arrives. one arround 10am and a later one at 1400.

A warning!! buy from SNCF France site and if you have problems with train delays cancellations etc it will take you 6 months to get a refund.Been there, done it.Use uk site if possible.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
it's showing available in the RailEurope site as well (I am in the states.) Which website are you using? Maybe try an alternative?

I was going to make the same point about price increase. Best to buy early.

Best of luck to you.

it's showing available in the RailEurope site as well (I am in the states.) Which website are you using? Maybe try an alternative?

I was going to make the same point about price increase. Best to buy early.

Best of luck to you.
What I implied is that a desired train MAY be fully booked. This happens on the fast TGV trains ie Paris to Bayonne during peak periods. However it is never a problem on the local TER trains where seats are not reserved ie Bayonne to SJPdP.
Hi,
I also had a difficult time trying to buy advance train tickets on the internet. I landed in Paris and wanted a train to le puy. It was frustrating but I did find an answer somewhere on this forum. I used my credit card and picked up my ticket at a machine in the train station with the same credit card. It was a challenge but it was worth it when I saw the lineups to buy a same day ticket at the train station. I encourage you to keep trying.
Good luck.

I just booked a ticket on the sncf website and it's taking forever to validate my purchase. You are being redirected.. please wait..

Should I stay for as long as it takes?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just booked a ticket on the sncf website and it's taking forever to validate my purchase. You are being redirected.. please wait..

Should I stay for as long as it takes?
I eventually had to use PayPal and it went quickly. I have read the site does not play nicely with foreign CC's.

How doable is the 10-minute interval between arrival in Bordeaux and departure to Bayonne?

I have a heavy luggage with me so I am afraid of missing my connection?

If the train is on time, it should be no problem. The station is not that large, just figure out which voie you need to get to and scoot, all the platforms are connected by underground tunnels.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
...The station is not that large, just figure out which voie you need to get to and scoot, all the platforms are connected by underground tunnels.

All French stations have a multitude of tv-like monitors where departures and arrivals are posted listing train number and track(voie). Quickly scan this to see where you must hop on.

sorry to miss this thread, ydan...
I'm arriving same day as you and gave up on the train connection--given when I was arriving I couldn't catch the morning train. Then I saw a thread here where someone suggested to take the plane, and so made a booking, cheaper than the train actually.
I get in to Biarritz and Caroline (www.expressbourricot.com) is picking me up, if you want to share the cost. Leaving the airport at about 7:30 PM, I also know she has earlier pickup at about 5:30.
Edit...a humorous nod to a currently popular thread...real pilgrims do fly! I had this unacknowledged idea that i HAD to take the train. Funny.

How doable is the 10-minute interval between arrival in Bordeaux and departure to Bayonne?

I have a heavy luggage with me so I am afraid of missing my connection?
When I transferred, it was only a matter of hopping off one train and waiting for the next. However, make sure you get on the right part of the train. We hopped on the tail end, only to find someone in our seats. Then found out that the train was a two-parter. The front half was continuing to Bayonne, while the back half was splitting off to somewhere else. It made for a quick run up to the front section of the train, as it was in the process of leaving. (Funny now, unbelievably stressful at the time)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have you considered changing airports (CDG to Orly) and flying to Biarritz/Bayonne. You get there much sooner (2 hours vs 5 hours by train) and the cost isn't too bad. AirFrance has several flight per day.

Ydan,
Hello :). I did my first camino last year, and although I researched and thought about getting a train ticket before I flew to Paris, I decided that I would get to Paris and go from there. I knew ahead of time the schedule, but worried about potential airline delays. I had no trouble at all going to the train station located inside CDG and purchasing a ticket.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back