• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Updated info on how to get from Biarritz airport to St Jean pied de port ?

vagabond

Time of past OR future Camino
camino mozarabe
Hi everyone!

Not sure if this info is up and running. Been reading what I´ve found. Apparently from the very useful website www.bahn.de (where one can search for practically any journey by bus/train in Europe) it says that on the way from Biarritz Airport to St Jean pied de port there are several changes one of them in Cambo les Bains which seems to be a bus. Since having a short time-window once in Biarritz I´d like to know if this service brings me directly, over multiple changes, to where I can catch the train in Biarritz to St Jean pied de port ?

Maybe a very strange question, though I´m eager for replies to this!

Buen camino // Vagabond

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The train line was damaged in a flood in the spring of 2014, it is currently under repair and the train ticket that you purchase in Bayonne will take you to station at Cambo les Bains where you are transferred to a bus that goes to SJPdP. It should not cause you any delay.

What Don writes is indeed correct. From Biarritz airport take the bus marked Gare SNCF Bayonne. Once at Bayonne you can buy the combo local TER line 62 train/ bus ticket for SJPdP. Both the airport and train station are small, friendly and accustomed to serving tourists as well as pilgrims.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What Don writes is indeed correct. From Biarritz airport take the bus marked Gare SNCF Bayonne. Once at Bayonne you can buy the combo local TER line 62 train/ bus ticket for SJPdP. Both the airport and train station are small, friendly and accustomed to serving tourists as well as pilgrims.

--
Hi mspath!

I know that you have a lot of knowledge of the camino since your frequency as a member on this forum and therefore I was also wondering if you had any info if the albergue in Cirauqui called "Maralotx" (or something similar) is definitely open now in March ? I´m currently sittinger here at home thinking of maybe doing a small mini-camino of 4 days (since my vacation from my job doesn´t allow further exploration.... :( ) AND would you think it´s even remotely possible to make it from St Jean to Cirauqui (just after Puente de la Reina) in just 4 days and then head back over the Pyrenees to St Jean and onwards home again ??

Grateful for any help/info/advice!

// Vagabond

Vagabond,

The Gronze listing for that albergue notes that it is open in March and also gives a telephone but no web. In that past I have stayed and eaten there twice in October and it was very nice. Walking there and back to SJPdP in 4 days would be quite impossible for me! Now at 76 I walk very slowly but enjoying every step as I recall the fable of the tortoise and the hare. Good luck with your plans.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you mspath! I don´t know what the "Gronze listing" is, but your answer comforts me. BUT about those 4 days, I was MEANING to walk from St Jean to Cirauqui in 4 days AND then 4 days back again = in total 8 days before my flight departs form Biarritz. Maybe that´s more reasonable and could be done in my age (soon to be 32). Now, it´s just the decision upon going for a mini-camino or to the Scottish Higlands on my small vacation in March before becoming a dad myself in May. Either way I´ll walk for my son or my dad who recently passed away - my decision to walk again is highly emotional and symbolical this time around.
--
Vagabond

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are talking about walking roughly 102 km in 4 days. That is certainly doable, if the Gods are working in your favor weather-wise.

before becoming a dad myself in May.
--
Vagabond

Congratulations on your new arrival, who knows maybe one day you will both walk the Camino together. Sorry for the loss of your Father it must be a difficult time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Does the bus marked Gare SNCF Bayonne run several times a day? Do you need to get a ticket in advance or can I just wait until I arrive. I fly int Biarritz on jun 17th. I guess I have the same question for the local TER line 62 train. Thanks in advance for the info. I arrive at Biarritz at 2:40 p.m. If I take these two buses ant idea how long it will take me to get to stjpdp?

Does the bus marked Gare SNCF Bayonne run several times a day? Do you need to get a ticket in advance or can I just wait until I arrive. I fly int Biarritz on jun 17th. I guess I have the same question for the local TER line 62 train. Thanks in advance for the info. I arrive at Biarritz at 2:40 p.m. If I take these two buses ant idea how long it will take me to get to stjpdp?

Yes. There are buses from the airport to the Gare SNCF Bayonne throughout the day. Journey time is less than 1 hour and you can buy the ticket at the bus.

From Bayonne to SJPdP there is presently a local train/bus combo. For this trip you purchase a ticket (roughly 10 euros) at the Bayonne railroad station (Gare SNCF Bayonne). The same ticket will cover both travel on the TER train and travel on the TER supplied bus. Total travel time on this train/bus combo is roughly 1 and 1/2 hours.

This current 2015 TER Aquitaine line 62 schedule shows the combination of train from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains and TER supplied bus from Cambo les Bains to SJPdP as being the travel combo until July 4, 2015. The schedule for later travel in 2015 has not yet been issued. Your date June 17 is a weekday with a train/bus combo scheduled to leave Bayonne at 18:06 arriving SJPdP at 19:24.

Bon voyage and Buen camino,

MM

Last edited:
The bus is a regular city bus, it runs approximately every 30 minutes. It picks up in front of the airport terminal and takes about 45 minutes to arrive at your stop next to the train station. It costs 1 euro and they are not happy if you try to use use paper money, so have a coin(s) ready when you board, they give you little paper ticket that you stamp, the ticket is good for multiple rides for up to one hour. For details about the timetable for specific days go to Chronoplus Biarritz and you can find the timetable for a specific day, right now they are running on their winter schedule so you may have to wait until April to get the updated summer schedule.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes. There are buses from the airport to the Gare SNCF Bayonne throughout the day. Journey time is less than 1 hour and you can buy the ticket at the bus.

From Bayonne to SJPdP there is presently a local train/bus combo. For this trip you purchase a ticket (roughly 10 euros) at the Bayonne railroad station (Gare SNCF Bayonne). The same ticket will cover both travel on the TER train and travel on the TER supplied bus. Total travel time on this train/bus combo is roughly 1 and 1/2 hours.

This current 2015 TER Aquitaine line 62 schedule shows the combination of train from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains and TER supplied bus from Cambo les Bains to SJPdP as being the travel combo until July 4, 2015. The schedule for later travel in 2015 has not yet been issued. Your date June 17 is a weekday with a train/bus combo scheduled to leave Bayonne at 18:06 arriving SJPdP at 19:24.

Bon voyage and Buen camino,

MM
Thank you so very much. I really appreciate it. I can't wait!

The bus is a regular city bus, it runs approximately every 30 minutes. It picks up in front of the airport terminal and takes about 45 minutes to arrive at your stop next to the train station. It costs 1 euro and they are not happy if you try to use use paper money, so have a coin(s) ready when you board, they give you little paper ticket that you stamp, the ticket is good for multiple rides for up to one hour. For details about the timetable for specific days go to Chronoplus Biarritz and you can find the timetable for a specific day, right now they are running on their winter schedule so you may have to wait until April to get the updated summer schedule.
Thank you so much for your helpful information!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back