• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have a logistical problem

ydan

Time of past OR future Camino
March, April or May 2015
I am currently in Canada and hoping to do my Camino Frances this mid-March.
But the problem is I have an onward travel plans after the Camino.
Besides my backpack for my trek, I will also be dragging a typical 20+ kg luggage.

I plan on just flying straight to Santiago de Compostella and store my luggage at Ivar and head to SJPdP to start my trek to Santiago de Compostella.

I just mock-booked my flight online and one I found is with 2 stops, one in Heathrow and one in Barajas.
The last flight which is from Barajas to Santiago de Compostella is usually in a smaller aircraft. My question is, will they also carry my huge luggage? Usually, you'll get your luggage at your final destination, but in this case I am not sure because there are two stops and the last flight is taken by a smaller aircraft.

Has anyone done this before?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Besides my backpack for my trek, I will also be dragging a typical 20+ kg luggage.

I plan on just flying straight to Santiago de Compostella and store my luggage at Ivar and head to SJPdP to start my trek to Santiago de Compostella.

I just mock-book my flight online and one I found is with 2 stops, one in Heathrow and one in Barajas.
The last flight which is from Barajas to Santiago de Compostella is usually in a smaller aircraft. My question is, will they also carry my huge luggage? Usually, you'll get your luggage at your final destination, but in this case I am not sure because there are two stops and the last flight is taken by a smaller aircraft.

Hi! I think you should be fine, within the usual size and weight limits that airlines use. If you're flying with Iberia your flight is likely to be on an Airbus A319/A320, which is similar to a Boeing 737. Buen Camino!

I just mock-book my flight online and one I found is with 2 stops, one in Heathrow and one in Barajas.

Is this one ticket? Or are you booking different airlines?

The plane can handle the bag. But the discount carriers tend to have strict lower rules. It would help if you mentioned the airline(s) and if this is one ticket

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hy , I think this is no problem . And what NicoZ said , is it one ticket .Wish you a Buen Camino , Peter .

... The last flight which is from Barajas to Santiago de Compostella is usually in a smaller aircraft. My question is, will they also carry my huge luggage? Usually, you'll get your luggage at your final destination, but in this case I am not sure because there are two stops and the last flight is taken by a smaller aircraft....

20+kg is hardly huge and I am not sure what you mean with 'smaller aircraft'. As others have written, check their requirements regarding check-in luggage when (mock)booking, but I don't see any problem for getting a normal piece of luggage transported. SY

Usually, you'll get your luggage at your final destination, but in this case I am not sure because there are two stops and the last flight is taken by a smaller aircraft.
My luggage has been delayed two out of three times since the merger of British Airways and Iberia. I suspect, but cannot prove, that Heathrow is the problem. The trips were with one ticket. The luggage has always been delivered to my accommodations in Santiago later in the evening. With ongoing labor problems, the situation may not be improving. When I asked in Santiago about compensation for the delay, suddenly no one spoke English! I suggest you know where you will be staying so that you can give the lost luggage person in Santiago that information. I had no reservations the first time it happened, so I designated the Hostal La Salle where I had stayed before. They always seem to have rooms. The next two times, I was prepared with a reservation at San Martin Pinario. I needed it once.

Be prepared for a first night in Santiago if you have checked baggage. Since you are delivering the luggage to Ivar, you probably need the day there anyway. And the food is great there!!

Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Have you thought of flying to Heathrow, taking the transfer bus across London to Stansted, and flying from there to Biarritz? Maybe sending your larger luggage direct to Ivar from home? I have no idea of the costs involved but I guess that the cost of three flights then travelling to SJPdP is quite high as well as time consuming.

Have you thought of flying to Heathrow, taking the transfer bus across London to Stansted, and flying from there to Biarritz? Maybe sending your larger luggage direct to Ivar from home? I have no idea of the costs involved but I guess that the cost of three flights then travelling to SJPdP is quite high as well as time consuming.

Can I send my huge luggage from SJPdP? It's not a box but a typical huge luggage? What companies have this kind of service in SJPdP? Anyone done this before?
I think I would save more than go straight to SdC and then stay for 2 days and then head back to SJPdP.

If this is possible, then I will just fly to Paris, then to Biarritz, then take the train to SJPdP, then send my luggage from there. The question is, are the planes servicing from Paris to Biarritz small or not? Smaller planes do not usually carry huge luggage:(

I prefer the last option so I would have a more authentic experience upon reaching Santiago de Compostella by walking!!:p:D:)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My thinking on the single ticket wasn't to do with delayed/lost luggage but a single set of rules. If you fly one two different airlines you risk having two very different set of rules.

There are two problems using the bag transport company.
There is a problem with French taxis operating in Spain and vice versa, so you will need to use Carolyn from SJPP to Roncesvalles,
then one of the baggage companies from Roncesvalles to Santiago.
It will not be inexpensive but you can contact Javier at Caminofacil and ask if they'll give you a special rate.

Have you considered NOT taking your big luggage and just shopping in Spain?
Santiago is a GREAT place to shop. They have inexpensive luggage and lots of good inexpensive clothes shopping there, including an open market.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can I send my huge luggage from SJPdP? It's not a box but a typical huge luggage? What companies have this kind of service in SJPdP? Anyone done this before?
I think I would save more than go straight to SdC and then stay for 2 days and then head back to SJPdP.

If this is possible, then I will just fly to Paris, then to Biarritz, then take the train to SJPdP, then send my luggage from there. The question is, are the planes servicing from Paris to Biarritz small or not? Smaller planes do not usually carry huge luggage:(

I prefer the last option so I would have a more authentic experience upon reaching Santiago de Compostella by walking!!:p:D:)
I receive suitcases in the mail from SJPP many times each summer. Mail it from the post office in SJPP. They may ask you to wrap it. Plastic or card board. Plastic can be kitchen plastic wrap or a card board box opened up and them wrapped and taped around the suitcase.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I will be flying from Paris CDG to Biarritz on 6 Ap

I will be flying with EasyJet from Paris to Biarritz on April 6. I have just checked my booking and the luggage allowance in the hold is 20kgs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have booked already! Arriving in Paris on the 8th March.

I haven't booked a train ticket to Bayonne yet. It says that it can only be booked 60-90 days prior departure. Can I buy ticket in Charles de Gaulle on the day of travel?

If this is not possible, then I may have to fly with easyjet, but my luggage..

Last edited:
Of course you'll get your luggage. Worst case scenario is that you will be told ahead of time that you will need to pick it up and rebook it. Happens all the time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I haven't booked a train ticket to Bayonne yet. It says that it can only be booked 60-90 days prior...
This is definitely not the case normally. Are you booking through the SNCF website? (Sncf.fr) One trick there is when it asks you to select your ticket collection country, be sure to select France. Then when you have options for delivery, either select e-ticket which you can print yourself, or choose to collect from a self-service kiosk at the station. Best option, super easy. Buen camino!!

This is definitely not the case normally. Are you booking through the SNCF website? (Sncf.fr) One trick there is when it asks you to select your ticket collection country, be sure to select France. Then when you have options for delivery, either select e-ticket which you can print yourself, or choose to collect from a self-service kiosk at the station. Best option, super easy. Buen camino!!

I will try this:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back