• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silk liners...why?

Ahhhs

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago, May 2015
Porto to Santiago, April 2016
Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago, April 2016
Camino Del Norte, April 2017
I tried to do a search on how people use their silk sleeping bag liners. Couldn't find much about how and why they are used...just that people bring them. I have one that I've had for years but rarely if ever used it. Seems to be a nuisance to stuff inside a bag. Maybe if it was really hot and that was all that was necessary to sleep in? I'm doing the Camino in May when it's often quite cool. I got it ready to pack and then thought "why?"

Why and how do you use yours? Thanks!

Perplexed in CA,
;) Laurel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't like either the feel of silk or the fussiness of having a liner inside a bag. I'd just take a 3-season sleeping bag.

Since I usually walk in late autumn/winter when it can be cold I always use a silk or polyester liner in my sleeping bag.
The liner weighs almost nothing but adds considerable warmth and can be easily washed if needed. Each night I 'shimmy' into the bag/liner combo for cosy warmth.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Silk is very warm, and very light. My favourite winter scarf (living in Easter Canada) is silk. And if you are thinking on walking CF in May, I would tell you that 2/3 of my CF were is super warm weather requiring only a liner, while on the other I froze and had a buy a sleeping bag. Do I like having one bag inside the other? No, which is why at home I only sleep with a sheet to cover the mattres and then my duvet. No extra sheet.

I tried to do a search on how people use their silk sleeping bag liners. Couldn't find much about how and why they are used...just that people bring them. I have one that I've had for years but rarely if ever used it. Seems to be a nuisance to stuff inside a bag. Maybe if it was really hot and that was all that was necessary to sleep in? I'm doing the Camino in May when it's often quite cool. I got it ready to pack and then thought "why?"

Perplexed in CA,
;) Laurel

@Ahhhs This is a very good question and one that I've been pondering myself. I'm planning to commence my Camino Frances walk in mid June. I've read that it's best to take both a sleeping bag and liner regardless of whether your walking in winter or summer. Is that correct? Does anyone have advice for a summer Camino - sleeping bag & liner or sleeping bag & no liner or liner &no sleeping bag? :confused:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In June you are much more likely to be hot. Albergues packed with people can get very hot. In June on the Frances I'd probably just take a silk liner.

@Kanga Thank you for the advice :) it makes perfect sense. I guess if on the off chance it was to get cold, throwing on extra layers of clothing would warm things up a bit and solve that problem.

Porto to Santiago and on to Muxia and Finisterre in June - sleeping bag and liner? sleeping bag on it's own? or just the liner?
Advice please.
Jacki.
Oh, and I'm an Aussie that feels the cold!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Did camino Madrid-Salvador-Primitivo in september 2013 with only silk liner, One night it was a bit cold but just put fleece and coat on top. Had no problem at all. All the time I was enjoying the thought: if I would have taken a sleeping bag, my backpack was about 1.5-2 kgs more heavy... :D
June would be no problem at al I gues.
Especially if you haven't bought a good sleeping bag yet, you can always buy a good one in Spain if you change your mind.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Because it is really cold in Virginia now I am wearing silk liners. ;)

We have taken sleeping bags in late May and bought liners in Burgos and left the bags to shed a couple pounds only to be very cold at night when we got to O'Cebreiro and found snow. In the autumn of 2012 it was warm and really didnt need them, this year I am older and will take a sleeping bag but is much lighter so we will also take the liner also. So to answer...

Yes :)

Last edited:
There is a nice explanation here for why.

Great site and good explanation of gear. I read several of their articles. Thanks.

Still wondering how many people actually do pack and use liners (with bags) regularly?
Everyone except me? ;)

Laurel

I took one on my first walk on the CF in 2012, from SJPdP - used it until Burgos, was really cold and bought a slightweight sleeping bag there. Have brought sleeping bag ever since and sleep in my wool longjohns and long or short sleeve top - decent for going to the loo in the night and also functions as a barrier between me and the sheet and me and the bag. Open bag if hot, zipped up if cold. However this time we are staying in private rooms and only bring silk bags to add warmth if needed (we go in March), and also in case we have to/want to stay in an albergue - provided they have blankets and we sleep in our wool base layers that should be fine. Good peace of mind for the weight.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We only take a black silk liner with us.. No sleeping bag.
My wife sewed the liner herself from material she bought on the market.
She sewed the liner with an integrated space for an inflatable pillow and a pouch next to it for our personal belongings like cellphone, id cards, money etc.only accessable inside the pillow case.
We use them because of hygienic reasons. You never know who slept underneath the blanket you are getting supplied in albergues
In mind comes this smelly stinky person , who obviously had not washed himself for a couple of days and only dried his smelly shirts, underpants and socks to use them again next morning. The odor of this guy is still in my nose as I now write this down. Jagggg:confused::confused:

Last edited:
We always have taken a silk liner, BUT, we put the sleeping bag in the liner. We were told that bedbugs do not penetrate silk. Our liner has a rectangular 'pouch' that accommodates the European pillows as well so when you do get a pillow you will have the liner next to your face, not the pillow. Whether this really does offer a barrier to bedbugs we really don't know but we've never been bitten. This year on the Caminho Portuguese we are only taking the liners and leaving the sleeping bags at home (May). Dayton and Karen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used a double size liner on many routes instead of a proper sleeping bag. It was summer and warm and there were blankets available. Suited me perfectly as lightweight and the story is that bedbugs can't walk on the slippery silk haha. I have so far never had a bite...

Hmmm. Never thought of a liner as bed bug prevention.
Do you spray yours with something?

Perplexed in CA,
;) Laurel
I used it in May 2013 as my only sleeping bag. I was never cold...if I felt at all chilly, I would put some clothes on top. My pillow was covered in my sarong and once inside my silk, I felt completely insulated from the world outside!! And the bed bugs, never saw one between Condom and Frómista.

Taking it with me in May this year too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We always have taken a silk liner, BUT, we put the sleeping bag in the liner. We were told that bedbugs do not penetrate silk. Our liner has a rectangular 'pouch' that accommodates the European pillows as well so when you do get a pillow you will have the liner next to your face, not the pillow. Whether this really does offer a barrier to bedbugs we really don't know but we've never been bitten. This year on the Caminho Portuguese we are only taking the liners and leaving the sleeping bags at home (May). Dayton and Karen
As we do !

Where do you start the Portugese and when ?

Maybe we will see you around ! We will start half of May next in Vilarinho this time and go as far as casa da Fernanda and from there instead of heading to Ponte de Lima we head for the coast to Viana do Castelo and from there walk the coastal.

Bom caminho

Perplexed in CA,
;) Laurel

Laurel:

I always bring a liner. On cold nights I use it inside my sleeping bag and warm nights alone. I like the added aspect that the liner has a pillow cover to encase the Albergue pillows.

Ultreya,
Joe

I love my sleep system.
Sea to Summit silk Traveller liner with pillow insert, 0.36 lbs (165 G)
MontBell Spiral Down Hugger sheet, 0.85 lbs (385 G)
I unzip the down bag fully and use as a blanket. A total weight of 1.2 lbs.

Attachments

• bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 52
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So... What about two silk liners versus a sleeping bag?

My Camino will be completed by September 20 of this year and keep thinking I am right in the middle of liner versus bag.

Hmmm. Never thought of a liner as bed bug prevention.
Do you spray yours with something?
Yes, Permethrin (buy at any sporting goods store). Some people don't like using insecticides. My research indicated that it is safe when dried (and I covered up good when spraying the liner and pack). I don't need to reignite that debate--to each there own.

My other consideration was that if enough people use it, it will create a herd immunity, like a vaccine, because it is not just a repellant; it kills any bedbugs coming into contact with it. I obviously did not want to be bitten, but I also decided that I did not want to inadvertently be part of the problem by carrying them to another albuergue.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am familiar with Permethrin. I'm planning to spray the outside of my pack and sleeping bag with it but wasn't too sure about spraying anything that touches my skin like the liner. I know some people treat their clothing too. Did you?

I am familiar with Permethrin. I'm planning to spray the outside of my pack and sleeping bag with it but wasn't too sure about spraying anything that touches my skin like the liner. I know some people treat their clothing too. Did you?
No, I did not treat clothing (I would only do that hiking in the northeast where Lyme disease is a serious concern). The question is: where will the bugs be? Hiking in the forest, the danger is brushing a tick off from leaves or grass and it crawls up your clothing. For the Camino, the problem is just the beds in the albuergues. So I just treated sleeping bag liner and packs (if walking winter or shoulder seasons with a sleeping bag, I'd treat that as well). My understanding is that once dried, permethrin is reasonably safe for contact with skin. Others will disagree. I do not want to reignite that debate.

Perplexed in CA,
;) Laurel

Besides the consideration of adding extra warmth, there are also other reasons, like the weight of silk (I have a silk liner and a polyester liner, and the one made of silk weights less) and also because of the bed bug thing. For what some people have told me (even here in the Forum), it seems that bed bugs don't grab so well to slik, than to other types of fabric.

I think that May might be a cold month too, mostly at night. But who knows, you might get lucky ;)

Besides the consideration of adding extra warmth, there are also other reasons, like the weight of silk (I have a silk liner and a polyester liner, and the one made of silk weights less) and also because of the bed bug thing. For what some people have told me (even here in the Forum), it seems that bed bugs don't grab so well to slik, than to other types of fabric.

I think that May might be a cold month too, mostly at night. But who knows, you might get lucky ;)
What would i need if i am starting my walk from sarria on 28th March and staying in albergues along the way. I stay in Asia and own a coleman sunrise c25 sleeping bag. It says suitable for temperatures of 25 degrees. Will that do since i am staying indoors.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Hello Ahhhs, Living, working and gardening in Missouri (USA) I use Permethrin in the summer time all the time. I lay out my work pants (outside) spray them down and let them dry. The treatment is good for several washings. You don’t want to use Permethrin on your skin. Missouri is notorious for ticks and chiggers and treating my work pants with Permethrin works to keep ticks and chiggers off of me. Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a double size liner on many routes instead of a proper sleeping bag. It was summer and warm and there were blankets available. Suited me perfectly as lightweight and the story is that bedbugs can't walk on the slippery silk haha. I have so far never had a bite...
Before I go completely mad and spray everything with permethron - You say that bedbugs can't walk on silk - do you know if that is just a "story" or "definitive"?

I tend to be a very "hot" sleeper - but I like the idea of the ultralight Montbell sleeping bag and perhaps a silk liner for the bed bugs. I am walking the Primitivo in May, and expect there could be some chilly nights.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Veronica Peace I have thin thermals rolled up in the bottom of my bag anyway - just plain black ones. Weigh nothing, work as leggings, pajamas, extra layer when cold.
Great advice Kanga. Despite many nights of claustrophobic heat, I was surprised to find myself quite cold on a few nights in Early August 2 years ago. We will be back in August this year and I was debating whether to add a light sleeping bag or blanket to my silk liner, or, utilize my merino long sleeve shirt and purchase some similar leggings. As you say, they can be utilized in a variety of circumstances, whereas I don't see myself walking about wrapped in a sleeping bag! Thanks for helping with my decision. Now, for those oppressively hot, claustrophobic albergues, I guess I'll pack a fan - which I can also utilize for impromptu flamenco dancing!

@Ahhhs This is a very good question and one that I've been pondering myself. I'm planning to commence my Camino Frances walk in mid June. I've read that it's best to take both a sleeping bag and liner regardless of whether your walking in winter or summer. Is that correct? Does anyone have advice for a summer Camino - sleeping bag & liner or sleeping bag & no liner or liner &no sleeping bag? :confused:
Walked in both March and September. March weather was so varied that one night I used the bag next night the liner. September was a different story. The bag was just extra weight and even though I walked into October, the linerwas all I needed. My only complaint with the liner was it was the only item I had that I found difficult to get back into its stuff bag :)

Before I go completely mad and spray everything with permethron - You say that bedbugs can't walk on silk - do you know if that is just a "story" or "definitive"?
You might want to read this article. It suggests that there is no foundation to the suggestion. It appears to me that most liners claiming to offer protection appear to have been treated with either a repellent or an insecticide.

You might want to read this article. It suggests that there is no foundation to the suggestion. It appears to me that most liners claiming to offer protection appear to have been treated with either a repellent or an insecticide.
Thanks for clarifying

As we do !

Where do you start the Portugese and when ?

Maybe we will see you around ! We will start half of May next in Vilarinho this time and go as far as casa da Fernanda and from there instead of heading to Ponte de Lima we head for the coast to Viana do Castelo and from there walk the coastal.

Bom caminho
We are starting in Lisboa around May 5 or 6 and walking the main route to Santiago and then on to Finisterre and Muxia. Have a great Caminho as well. Dayton

Jostony - its been a "known fact"(?) since the first World War when Australian and other forces often took advantage of any silk underwear (yes usually female) they found in bombed houses because lice and other parasites would not live in the silk. I have not seen any modern "research" to back up or dispute this "fact". Happy for some one with specific knowledge to correct.

Personally I support the information contained in the link to Doug Fitz post - its just a lot more comfortable.
Cheers

I slept in my bag liner (permethrin treated), and only used my sleeping bag when I got cold and no blankets were available. It folds up very small, and feels like T-shirt material. I loved it and was glad I had it with me.

Jostony - its been a "known fact"(?) since the first World War when Australian and other forces often took advantage of any silk underwear (yes usually female) they found in bombed houses because lice and other parasites would not live in the silk. I have not seen any modern "research" to back up or dispute this "fact". Happy for some one with specific knowledge to correct.

Personally I support the information contained in the link to Doug Fitz post - its just a lot more comfortable.
Cheers
Are you suggesting just "female silk underwear" is more comfortable or any silk! Can't see myself walking to Santiago in my wife's underwear!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Everyone must do the Camino in their own way.
:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you suggesting just "female silk underwear" is more comfortable or any silk! Can't see myself walking to Santiago in my wife's underwear!!
Not at all - it was just that "at the time"(1914-18) female underwear was more often silk and more likely to be available - not sure what the average French farmer/labourer wore!!

Not at all - it was just that "at the time"(1914-18) female underwear was more often silk and more likely to be available - not sure what the average French farmer/labourer wore!!
Didn't the French invent "l'amour " ? Silk underwear !etc. Or was the invention against "bedbugs "? :p

@Ahhhs You've got lots of good help and friends here. Here's another thought, depending on the willingness of any housemates you have at home and the weather. Before you leave, try a few trial nights sleeping with a sleeping bag and/or a liner and/or a liner alone with the heat turned up high and with the heat turned down low. You could also try with and without the windows open.

I walked September to November and took a silk liner. On many nights, we began with a few pilgrims in the sleeping room and open windows, by the middle of the night, someone might close the window and the extra bodies would heat up the room. Hope this helps. Enjoy your camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurel:

I always bring a liner. On cold nights I use it inside my sleeping bag and warm nights alone. I like the added aspect that the liner has a pillow cover to encase the Albergue pillows.

Ultreya,
Joe
I agree with joe.
I like to have a choice, and the silk liner doesn't add much extra weight,

Annie

It's simple, you sleep inside the liner (like a cocoon) on top of the bed. There are sheets and blankets on all beds in the Refugios & Algergues, but their cleanliness might be questionable. From what I observed, the sheets are not changed every day (or after each guest) and may remain on the bed a week or longer. A very light sleeping bag or a liner alone can work well for this purpose. In the warmer months, anything more than a liner would be too much. If you anticipate colder temperatures (especially in the mountains) you might consider taking a light sleeping bag. However, since you don't want to carry any excess weight, you can always wear extra clothing insider the liner if you happen to encounter a chilly night...

I tried to do a search on how people use their silk liners

Perplexed in CA,
;) Laurel

Also for modesty I like to cover myself in Alburgue group sleeping situations
If I don't climb into the liner , I'll use it as the sheet and throw a scarf over me.
If you only have a sleeping bag with you and you get one of those nights where you find it a bit sweaty, it's a quick job to wash the liner and get it dry.

Also , when you don't need the bag at night, it's a lot quicker to just stuff the silk liner in your pack in the morning. So it's and 'either' 'or' choice - or both / and keeps your bag from smelling 'manky'! If that's a word.
Annie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Synonym for "stanky ".

So is the consensus that silk liners don't really repell bed bugs? That was that was the main reason I went with silk over cotten (liner). I would love to trade back if I still need the permethrin anyway...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So is the consensus that silk liners don't really repell bed bugs? That was that was the main reason I went with silk over cotten (liner). I would love to trade back if I still need the permethrin anyway...
I don't think it's about consensus, more about a lack of objective evidence.

I love my sleep system.
Sea to Summit silk Traveller liner with pillow insert, 0.36 lbs (165 G)
MontBell Spiral Down Hugger sheet, 0.85 lbs (385 G)
I unzip the down bag fully and use as a blanket. A total weight of 1.2 lbs.

This is the lightest weight Montbell I can find online:
MontBell Ultra Light Spiral Down Hugger Thermal Sheet MontBell's lightest sleeping bag at 13.8 ounces - See more at: http://www.backpacker.com/gear/slee...wn-hugger-thermal-sheet/#sthash.J9WoBlVF.dpuf

Can you provide more specifics for your .85 lb sheet???
Thanks so much.

Yes, but the MontBell is no longer available. It's not on their site anymore and not available at any of the retail outlets that were selling it.

oh rats! I will explore the Montbell I found further. Seems to be a good option for a June Camino.
Thanks for getting back to me :)

Hi Andrea. I did not know the Montbell I have is no longer available!
But I do see a very similar one. Sea to Summit sleeping bag "Traveller" (not to be confused with the silk liner). It also unzips fully and weighs 0.85 lbs
(385 G).

Alas, that also seems to be MIA at the moment. On the Sea to Summit site, but not available anyplace if you click "buy online" and REI says it's gone for good. :(

Maybe they're just updating it--maybe fixing the problem with the drawstring toggle--I hope.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow! Bummer. Neither is cheap, but I have to say I am SO happy with my Montbell.

Yes, I'm really puzzled as to why these items keep disappearing--it surely can't be lack of demand. I was planning on the MontBell myself, then on the Traveller... Sigh.

I left a phone message for Backcountry Gear re: Montbell Alpine Down Huggar 800 Thermal Sheet. They showed it as on sale ($169) and back ordered -- BUT "not available" when I placed my order online. Go figure. I'll report back when and if I hear from them.

No luck with StoS Traveler TR1 either. It may be a sign that I don't need a bag for my June Camino :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the link! This raises a question. What is the practical difference between a $6 silk liner and a $75 100% silk liner from REI??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can't argue with that -- thought maybe difference in types or percentage of silk would effect the efficiency of liner.
Thanks Doug

Can't argue with that -- thought maybe difference in types or percentage of silk would effect the efficiency of liner.
Thanks Doug
Some years ago my now ex-sister-in-law worked in the government's trade department. She pointed out to me that men's trousers from the same production batch in an overseas factory were sold under several different brand names by different retailers with a price range from around $30 to over $100.

This is not to say that there are no differences in material weight or quality, but that different pricing structures can yield quite different price outcomes.

Some years ago my now ex-sister-in-law worked in the government's trade department. She pointed out to me that men's trousers from the same production batch in an overseas factory were sold under several different brand names by different retailers with a price range from around $30 to over $100.

This is not to say that there are no differences in material weight or quality, but that different pricing structures can yield quite different price outcomes.
I understand -- hence my question re: practical differences. Maybe someone has experience with both price points can comment on any differences they experienced. I'm all for finding the best bang for my buck. :)

I don't know about the REI version, but I've had a Hannah & Toni silk liner from ebay for a while now and I can't imagine there's any way in which the REI one would be superior, except possibly for the opening. I don't like writhing and I had to cut out some of the stitching and resew the side of mine to make the opening as large as I like. The silk in mine is very good quality. When looking on ebay be sure to look for 100% Mulberry silk and not something like tru-silk, which is partly synthetic.

Thanks for the review Pudgypilgrim:)
I agree about the opening -- will keep your fix in mind.

Thanks for the link! This raises a question. What is the practical difference between a $6 silk liner and a $75 100% silk liner from REI??
Their 100% silk bag is 31$, and only comes in the regular single size, not the extra-large. Since they manufacture, they cut out the distributor and retailer, and since they don't have fancy marketing, that also helps keep the price down.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
FWIW, there are other Vietnamese silk vendors on ebay, some of whom do have the large/double liners.

Success! I found and ordered a StoS TR1 here: www.globetrekker.com.au
Cost is $178USD including postage from Australia. The Camino provides from afar -- along with persistance :)
Thanks again to the forum for assistance.

If you read the description you will see it is not silk: "This unique model is made of an silk fabric using high quality synthetic fibers so it has silk satiny for softness as well as synthetic fibers for durability. 0 % POLYESTER = Much more comfortable sleep than FAUX SILK SATIN FABRICS (weight doesn't tell all, we are manufacturers and apply export standards and use the highest quality material)."

This company cannot make the XL liner in silk because of the width its silk comes in - got it from the horse's mouth a few months ago when I inquired directly.

Their labbling is not very clear, I will grant you that, saying no polyester and not faux silk sating, when it is infact made with "high quality synthetic fibers".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmm, yes, there don't seem to be as many vendors right now as there were back when I bought mine. You're right about that, Anemone. The vendor I used, who was pretty popular with this forum at the time, doesn't seem to be on ebay now.

There's a lot of good and confusing advise here. I agree with fritz. Buy one (preferably from somewhere that takes returns I.e. REI). Get it home and try it out. In a hot room, cold room, on the porch, in and out of your sleeping bag, or a weekend camping trip. I try to read reviews on gear that i buy. But in all my wilderness experience I've found that my personal preferences don't always jive with the general concesus of the reviews. Trial and error, and some practice at home before I take something on a long trip. I personally have never used a silk liner. Sometimes I wish I just had one on hot sticky summer nights or on long trips where my sleeping bag gets a little "manky". Lol (thanks OzAnnie, that word is now part of my vocabulary). I do use, however, silk thermals in fall and spring. I can sleep in them or wear them on frosty mornings. I dunno about silk repelling bugs....isn't silk made from bugs? Lol

I was walking in October/November and was very happy and warm with my silk liner and a small sleeping bag.
As already mentioned, the liner can be washed very easily and dries quickly.

I got mine from: http://stores.ebay.com/Spirits-of-Vietnam-Silk-and-Crafts

Buen Camino!

I bougt their liner - following someone's recommendation on this forum, thank you! - to replace mine which 'disappeared' during a previous camino. They're perfect and much much cheaper than my original one bought in the UK.
Highly recommended but buy a bigger size as they're quite small.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Madrid connecting to VdlP in September. Thinking of a liner and a super light weight down quilt. Anyone else tried this combination.

Highly recommended but buy a bigger size as they're quite small.
Domingee, were you able to find an extra wide one in silk? So far I have only been able to find the blend in the wider size. Thank you.

Yes, but the link in your post says:

>This model is made of an art silk fabric using high quality synthetic fibers

I bought a silk liner of one the student web sites (real silk), it was between 30 and 40 pounds. Its treated with DEET and its main function is to protect me from the bed bugs you occasionally find at some of the Albergues. After meeting a couple of people last year with extensive bites I cant help thinking it was a wise purchase.

I'm sure I read the answer to this somewhere but didn't write it down......... :(

I'm only taking a liner with me and for good measure want to soak it in Permethrin. Even though the jury is out on it's effectiveness.

What type of Permethrin do I need to buy?

I can buy the insecticide from my local hardware store. No in fact I can't. They only had permyathin.

So where would I track down Permethrin in a place like Sydney?

And do you spray the liner and hang it up, or soak the liner in a diluted solution in a sink?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
mmmmmm....... Google doesn't recognize permyathin. Maybe it's a brand name or a spelling issue????? Several online sources for permethrin.

Pyrethrum is the name given to the insecticide derived from specific members of the genus pyrethrum. Pyrethroids are synthetic chemicals based on natural pyrethrum.

€60,-

Hmmm....It may suggest that but the way the answer reads I feel it more likely suggest the person giving the answer has not done testing and is taking a guess.

Here is a video of a test performed with two types of bedding fills:

See post #97. I'm still researching this....

Great site and good explanation of gear. I read several of their articles. Thanks.

Still wondering how many people actually do pack and use liners (with bags) regularly?
Everyone except me? ;)

Laurel
Walked in April/May...was quite cold in places and was not keen on using blankets in some albergues. I carried one which zippers all the way around as I dont like my feet tangled. I unzip put it as a bottom sheet between me and the matress and put my sleeping bag over my body. If im cold I can zip the sides leave my feet out at the bottom. Some albergues offer paper sheets and in this case Liner can also be used to give privacy and block light when you are in the bottom bunk. I hang my towel on one side (down by my foot) and my liner along the length of the bed So I dont get woken up in the middle of the night by those going to the bathroom or leaving the albergue in the early morning.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hmmm....It may suggest that but the way the answer reads I feel it more likely suggest the person giving the answer has not done testing and is taking a guess.
Here is a video of a test performed with two types of bedding fills:
That test only shows that the bedbugs in that case preferred to nest in down fill rather than silk fill. My guess is that it is because of the physical characteristics (fuzziness, walkability, etc.) of the materials. It doesn't demonstrate anything about the sleeping options for the camino. My quilts have no open seams where bedbugs can walk inside to test their preference for nesting material. There is no evidence at all that the bugs would be repelled by a woven silk liner.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.