• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changing trains in Lyon

Bungle

Time of past OR future Camino
via de la plata
I am starting camino from Le Puy at the end of March (4 weeks time) and am travelling to Le Puy by train from the UK. I only have 10 minutes to change trains at Lyon - as I speak no French I am concerned that I may have a problem. Has anyone travelled by this route, and am I likely to have difficulties?
It is the last train to Le Puy!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is the last train to Le Puy!
Ever? :)

Ten minutes is enough time to transfer. The walk between platforms only takes a couple of minutes. Information signs in the station will tell you the correct platform. French trains are on time. About a dozen travelers boarded at Part Dieu almost as the doors closed. The French can be very precise!

Bon chemin.

Hi there, it's difficult to give advice without more information, however, I'm assuming that your train (from Paris?) makes the connection at Lyon Part-Dieu station.

I also assume that you're getting the last 21:05 connection from Lyon to Le Puy? Although possible, it's probably cutting it a bit fine, but in the worst case scenario you'll just have to get a hotel or hostel and then pay €25 for a regional connection to Le Puy the next morning. (The French trains are generally quite punctual, give or take 10 mins... and of course barring strike action, or occasionally having to wait for other trains to clear the tracks, etc)

Lyon Part-Dieu is't too difficult to navigate, although each track is accessed via its own set of stairs/escalator, so you first have to go downstairs after disembarking your train, and then make your way up again to catch the next one. Depending on the time of day, there can be a 'bottle-neck' effect as everyone tries to go up/ down a single escalator, which might significantly slow you down (and bearing in mind that your trip also coincides with the French Easter holidays...)

However, as far as I remember there are only 11 tracks in Lyon. Once you've arrived, there should be screens everywhere, showing train times and departure tracks (just make sure your screen says 'departs' and not 'arrivees'!) Here's what will shown on the screens (in real time!), so save this link and you might even be able to check on the train before disembarking if you have wifi:

http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frlpd/horaires-temps-reel/dep/

You can probably figure it out, but it goes: type of train (mainline TGV or regional TER? this info should be on your ticket), train number, time, destination, delays ('retard'), and most importantly, the track number. You might also be able to ask the conductor for help when he comes to punch your ticket. The French train staff are usually lovely and often happy to practice a bit of English, as long as you first *try* asking in French, however bad you might sound!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
p.s. Forgot to add that you'll probably have to check for the destination 'St Etienne', as the Le Puy trains change here...

p.s. Forgot to add that you'll probably have to check for the destination 'St Etienne', as the Le Puy trains change here...
Sometimes you do not have to change train in St. Etienne unless your ticket says so.

There has been a lot of track work on that line, unless it's finished now you may find that you end up finishing on a rail replacement bus service.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, it is a little nerve-wracking connection, but it is feasible. French trains are usually on time, and the schedules of secondary lines are established considering travelers coming from TGV trains.
There are some SNCF rules about "ruptures de correspondance" (broken connections), as stated here . As you will see, the original question comes from a traveler with a situation almost identical to yours.
Basically, if your train is clearly delayed, ask the train "contrôleur" or inspector (they come to check up tickets) and explain the situation. According to this webpage, depending on the length of the delay and the number of people involved, the connection may be delayed (especially if it is the last train of the day).
If this is not the case but you lose you train anyway, go to the "accueil" or ticket office or the "info" kiosk on the platform. They will help you, and probably will change your ticket. They are quite friendly with foreigners, and in main stations there is always somebody who talk English. My experiences with SNCF staff have been always positive.
Ah, it is always convenient to check up the SNCF webpage the day before your trip just in case there are "perturbations et travaux" .
Buen camino!

Hi there, it's difficult to give advice without more information, however, I'm assuming that your train (from Paris?) makes the connection at Lyon Part-Dieu station.

I also assume that you're getting the last 21:05 connection from Lyon to Le Puy? Although possible, it's probably cutting it a bit fine, but in the worst case scenario you'll just have to get a hotel or hostel and then pay €25 for a regional connection to Le Puy the next morning. (The French trains are generally quite punctual, give or take 10 mins... and of course barring strike action, or occasionally having to wait for other trains to clear the tracks, etc)

Lyon Part-Dieu is't too difficult to navigate, although each track is accessed via its own set of stairs/escalator, so you first have to go downstairs after disembarking your train, and then make your way up again to catch the next one. Depending on the time of day, there can be a 'bottle-neck' effect as everyone tries to go up/ down a single escalator, which might significantly slow you down (and bearing in mind that your trip also coincides with the French Easter holidays...)

However, as far as I remember there are only 11 tracks in Lyon. Once you've arrived, there should be screens everywhere, showing train times and departure tracks (just make sure your screen says 'departs' and not 'arrivees'!) Here's what will shown on the screens (in real time!), so save this link and you might even be able to check on the train before disembarking if you have wifi:

http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frlpd/horaires-temps-reel/dep/

You can probably figure it out, but it goes: type of train (mainline TGV or regional TER? this info should be on your ticket), train number, time, destination, delays ('retard'), and most importantly, the track number. You might also be able to ask the conductor for help when he comes to punch your ticket. The French train staff are usually lovely and often happy to practice a bit of English, as long as you first *try* asking in French, however bad you might sound!

Many thanks Jan_D. Although my French is very poor, I will make attempts to be understood and staying overnight in Lyon is not a major problem. I will get my daughter to write down the questions for me (in French), and then if the conductor does not understand my awful attempts I can show him the written version!
I intend to stamp my ticket in Paris - so this will hopefully save time.

Many thanks for your help.

Many thanks Jan_D. Although my French is very poor, I will make attempts to be understood and staying overnight in Lyon is not a major problem. I will get my daughter to write down the questions for me (in French), and then if the conductor does not understand my awful attempts I can show him the written version!
I intend to stamp my ticket in Paris - so this will hopefully save time.

Many thanks for your help.
If you mean by "stamp your ticket in Paris" by using the compostez votre billet machine, that is a requirement and you can be subject to a fine if you fail to do so. It allows the conductor to know your ticket is in use for the one voyage that you are currently on.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you mean by "stamp your ticket in Paris" by using the compostez votre billet machine, that is a requirement and you can be subject to a fine if you fail to do so. It allows the conductor to know your ticket is in use for the one voyage that you are currently on.
Yes - stamping my ticket in the billet machine is what I meant. I am hoping that I can print off my ticket in Paris, and then stamp it in Paris - I assume I can do this?
My other tickets I can collect at Eurostar in London (Eurostar and TGV to Lyon).

Yes - stamping my ticket in the billet machine is what I meant. I am hoping that I can print off my ticket in Paris, and then stamp it in Paris - I assume I can do this?
My other tickets I can collect at Eurostar in London (Eurostar and TGV to Lyon).
I am not clear what you are trying to achieve. You want to time stamp the ticket you are using for each particular voyage. If you are talking about printing an e-ticket that is a completely different matter and those do not need to be time stamped.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back