• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lots of last minute prep questions

Ariel Mallett

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hello all!

Today marks one month till I arrive in Spain and begin my Camino! I will be flying into Madrid on March 31st, then travelling to Seville for Holy Week. I plan to leave Seville on Saturday 4/4 so that I can arrive in Irun and embark on my pilgrimage on Easter Sunday--hopefully after mass at the local church. I am going to book my accommodation at a local hostel before hand, and am also trying to buy my train tickets from Seville to Madrid but am having trouble doing so on the Spanish website and plan to buy the ticket when I arrive in Madrid.

I have also decided that I am not going to take anything digital on my camino. I have bought an old film camera and will be bringing several rolls of film with me. It also means I will not have a smart phone or wifi device with me. I am hoping that there will be the occasional internet cafe where I can let the world know that I am alive, are they fairly common (once every week or so?) along the Camino del Norte?

I do plan to bring an old basic cell phone and get a Spanish sim card when I arrive so that I can call ahead to hostels or if there is an emergency on the trail. I also hope to be able to make occasional calls to the USA with this cell phone but am having trouble finding international phone cards in this day an age. Does anybody know how I can get one? What about a Spanish sim card--I assume I will just ask my hostel in Madrid about how/where I can get one but any advice is helpful.

I also posted another thread about feminine hygiene on the camino--but I may as well as ask here too. What have women taken in terms of tampons/diva cup options while on the trail? What works best/is most potable but also practical (rinsing out a diva cup every few hours seems unrealistic)?

Also, does anybody know if albergues in San Sebastian, my first stop, will be open on the eve of Easter Sunday (considering it's such an important Catholic Holiday)? I figure if I arrive and things aren't open, I will try to stay in a church. I plan to pick up my credential in Irun--though it may be easier to get it in Seville before hand because the office may not be open on Easter Sunday.

I am also a little worried about how cold it will be in the north in April. Should I bring a light jacket or is a fleece and a rain jacket sufficient? I am actually considering switching to the Via de la Plata route if it will be too cold to walk in the north in April and May (I have heard conflicting opinions on this--some say it's far too rainy and cold, but I don't think a low of 40 and a high of 60 is really that cold). Thoughts?

Thank you for your input!
Ariel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think a fleece and a lightweight rain/wind coat make more sense, because you can layer.
Even when it's cold, you will warm up quickly walking.

Don't forget a beanie type hat to keep your head warm and dry and to keep out cold wind.
I like wool, especially when it's raining or foggy.

You will need an unlocked GSM three-band (at least) cell phone for the Spanish SIM chip to work. Vodafone, Movistar, and Orange all offer pay as you go chips at a very reasonable cost. International calls still can be expensive, though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am hoping that there will be the occasional internet cafe where I can let the world know that I am alive, are they fairly common (once every week or so?) along the Camino del Norte? ... Also, does anybody know if albergues in San Sebastian may not be open on Easter Sunday.

Hello Ariel,

I was Camino del Norte (from San Sebastian to Llanes) last fall and I believe the only 2 place2 I saw computers at the disponsal of pilgrims or the public in general was at the Youth Hostel in Santiago and at the albergue in Llanes - perhaps also in San Vicente de la Barquera. As this is not a route that is as closely linked to the pilgrimage as the CF is, you will not find as many businesses that cater to the pilgrim. I certainly don't remember any coin operated computers in any cafe, as you would find on CF.

The Youth Hostel in San Sebastian is open year round. Since reservations are made on-line, you will immediately know if they are open or not: http://www.donostia.eus/Albergues/R...ioma=cas&doc=CBE335709799A90DC1257DFB0079C904

Enjoy your Camino!

Hello all!

Today marks one month till I arrive in Spain and begin my Camino! I will be flying into Madrid on March 31st, then travelling to Seville for Holy Week. I plan to leave Seville on Saturday 4/4 so that I can arrive in Irun and embark on my pilgrimage on Easter Sunday--hopefully after mass at the local church. I am going to book my accommodation at a local hostel before hand, and am also trying to buy my train tickets from Seville to Madrid but am having trouble doing so on the Spanish website and plan to buy the ticket when I arrive in Madrid.

I have also decided that I am not going to take anything digital on my camino. I have bought an old film camera and will be bringing several rolls of film with me. It also means I will not have a smart phone or wifi device with me. I am hoping that there will be the occasional internet cafe where I can let the world know that I am alive, are they fairly common (once every week or so?) along the Camino del Norte?

I do plan to bring an old basic cell phone and get a Spanish sim card when I arrive so that I can call ahead to hostels or if there is an emergency on the trail. I also hope to be able to make occasional calls to the USA with this cell phone but am having trouble finding international phone cards in this day an age. Does anybody know how I can get one? What about a Spanish sim card--I assume I will just ask my hostel in Madrid about how/where I can get one but any advice is helpful.

I also posted another thread about feminine hygiene on the camino--but I may as well as ask here too. What have women taken in terms of tampons/diva cup options while on the trail? What works best/is most potable but also practical (rinsing out a diva cup every few hours seems unrealistic)?

Also, does anybody know if albergues in San Sebastian, my first stop, will be open on the eve of Easter Sunday (considering it's such an important Catholic Holiday)? I figure if I arrive and things aren't open, I will try to stay in a church. I plan to pick up my credential in Irun--though it may be easier to get it in Seville before hand because the office may not be open on Easter Sunday.

I am also a little worried about how cold it will be in the north in April. Should I bring a light jacket or is a fleece and a rain jacket sufficient? I am actually considering switching to the Via de la Plata route if it will be too cold to walk in the north in April and May (I have heard conflicting opinions on this--some say it's far too rainy and cold, but I don't think a low of 40 and a high of 60 is really that cold). Thoughts?

Thank you for your input!
Ariel
Ariel:
Regarding your phone, you might check in with your current provider. I have an iPhone that is not unlocked. I speak a little Spanish but not enough to speak or understand someone on the phone (calling ahead for an albergue). I turn data cell and roaming off because it is very expensive and leave the phone on. I purchased a one month $30 plan from ATT. It gives me unlimited text (plus visual text so I can send pictures from the phone), 120MB of data,and unlimited wifi through a Spanish provider. Phone calls to the US (or in Spain) are reduced to $1.00 per minute. This is still expensive, but only used if needed for a few short 5 minute calls if needed. The Spanish emergency (our 911) number is 112 and it is free. I text my husband regularly so he knows where I am and that I am okay (his concern, not mine). I found that I prefer text messages so I can disconnect from "home life" and have solitude, yet meet my husband's need to know I am still alive (takes a few minutes from my bunk before bedtime). He now prefers receiving a regular text message rather than waiting for an infrequent phone call as in the past. Another benefit is that my husband printed off my text messages because he thought many of them were funny or insightful. I ended up with a "mini" journal of my messages on my return. May not meet your needs, but another option.
I purchased a calling card in the Madrid airport on one of my trips about 10 years ago. They had booths in the arrivals area that sold calling cards and rented cell phones. I don't know if they still have them, but possibly a place to find a calling card.

Hi Ariel,
A few answers for you. I walked the Norte with no way of accessing the internet, but managed to log on every few days. Some albergs have computers, often the local tourist information has free access, and if you head for the local library or municipal offices they often have computers. Ask at the alberge and the hospitalero can usually direct to local access.

There are a couple of hostels in San Sebastion, one in town, another up on the ridge about 2 kilometers east of town. There is also a donitivo alberge run by a christian group about three kilometers east of town, I stayed there and found it very pleasant for one night.

Either on the Norte or Via de la Plata you will need clothes to keep warm and decent rain gear at this time of year. It can pour with rain and you must be prepared for this. The rain and cold are not a problem if you are equipped for it. As suggested by Anniesantiago above, layers of clothes make sense and are lighter to wear and carry.

You can get your credencial at the alberge in Irun, or from the tourist information, and I have heard that you can get them from the main church but I have no personal experience of this.

The Norte is a great route, I loved walking it, and hope you do too.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On computers on the del Norte and Primitivo, almost every pueblo in Cantabria and Asturias has a library or casa cultural where computers are available for public use as part of bringing the internet into small-town and rural Spain. While they usually close by 7 and observe afternoon closing hours, I have found staff to be very helpful and flexible--- when rooms were booked for classes, they would often find another machine for me to work on. For international calls, friends tell me that wifi and skype work wonders, but others can tell you how they operate. There are often locutorios (telephone and computer places) near bus stations and working-class neighbourhoods which are much used by Latin Americans and migrant workers to stay in touch with their home countries-- hospitaleros or folk at the turismo are usually knowledgeable about them.

Hello all!

I have also decided that I am not going to take anything digital on my camino. ..

Ariel
I walked the Frances and Norte. Let me tell you Norte is a stunning walk. But, expect a lot of up and down compared to Frances or vdlp. When I walked the Norte in June, i faced a lot of rain, mud specially between Irun and Bilbao. You are attempting in April, expect the similar or worse conditions. Yes you would need good walking boots, walking poles, an insulating mid layer, wool cap and gloves in addition to a poncho/rain shell.

NO Digital is not most convenient because Spain is well connected. All public places, hostels have free wifi. But, seldom you get a free work station to access internet. In big towns they do have internet cafes. I don't remember what they are called in spanish. Do inquire at the hostels.

Norte is a wetter and colder (in April). It also offers the most diverse terrain conditions with a LOT of rolling hills. Hope you have researched the trail enough and know what to expect. I am contemplating vdlp for this year. The terrain looks relatively flat till Zamora, otherwise an interesting walk with lots of roman historical towns. Norte would be a completely different experience. Hope you have a good guidebook for Norte. I used the only english language guidebook by cicerone. Very helpful.

Whichever trail you choose, enjoy.

Hi Ariel,
A few answers for you. I walked the Norte with no way of accessing the internet, but managed to log on every few days. Some albergs have computers, often the local tourist information has free access, and if you head for the local library or municipal offices they often have computers. Ask at the alberge and the hospitalero can usually direct to local access.

There are a couple of hostels in San Sebastion, one in town, another up on the ridge about 2 kilometers east of town. There is also a donitivo alberge run by a christian group about three kilometers east of town, I stayed there and found it very pleasant for one night.

Either on the Norte or Via de la Plata you will need clothes to keep warm and decent rain gear at this time of year. It can pour with rain and you must be prepared for this. The rain and cold are not a problem if you are equipped for it. As suggested by Anniesantiago above, layers of clothes make sense and are lighter to wear and carry.

You can get your credencial at the alberge in Irun, or from the tourist information, and I have heard that you can get them from the main church but I have no personal experience of this.

The Norte is a great route, I loved walking it, and hope you do too.

Thank you for the advice!

I am also curious if I need to invest in a real guide book for the camino del norte. At this point, I just planned on taking a map and a list of albergues along the route. I plan to choose my destination each morning rather than having set stopovers before I am on the trail. Do I need to do more planning than this?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No, you can wing it all the way. The hospitaleros are usually very well informed about what your choices are for the next days accommodation, and it often boils down to a decision like do you want to stop after 20 kms or go on to 28kms. All you have to do is follow the yellow arrows and enjoy yourself. I often made my decision on the hoof, was I tired and wanting to stop, or did I feel like going on for a bit more? It may also depend on who you fall in step with, you may possibly develop friendships along the way and end up making communal decisions. As a general rule, the Germans all have good guide books and study up what they are doing the next day, they can always tell you what your options are, where the next alberge is and where to stop for a good meal.

Thank you for the advice!

I am also curious if I need to invest in a real guide book for the camino del norte. At this point, I just planned on taking a map and a list of albergues along the route. I plan to choose my destination each morning rather than having set stopovers before I am on the trail. Do I need to do more planning than this?
You don't need a guide, but if you want a bit of background information on the places you are walking through, and if you can read some Spanish, I would recommend Camino de Santiago: Camino del Norte (Costa y Primitivo) edited in May of 2014, so very current. This being said, as you will not find an albergue every 5 km as you will on the CF, and since you are walking in April, your options will likely be limited. The list of albergues you speak of, where do you think you will get it from? I would suggest a hand made list based on various sites like Eroski, to ensure it is relevant.

..... I will not have a smart phone or wifi device with me. I am hoping that there will be the occasional internet cafe where I can let the world know that I am alive, are they fairly common (once every week or so?) along the Camino del Norte?

Hi there, Ariel. As well as in cafes, internet use is sometimes available at a Locatorio, the Casa de Cultura and the local biblioteca.

Hope this helps.
Lovingkindness

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you everybody for your input--But, I deceided last night to switch my route to the Via de La Plata from Seville. Does anybody have an idea what the internet cafe situation is like along this route? I will also post under that route's thread--but any input is helpful!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.