• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arles to Via Francigena

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances. 2011
Chemin d'Arles. 2011
Chemin de Vezelay. 2012
Chemin de Le Puy 2010
Chemin de Pyrenees. 2013
Via Francigena. 2014
Via de la Plata 2015
Camino del Norte 2015
Having just finished the Via Francigena from Aosta to Rome, we would like to walk a link from Arles or Le Puy to the Via Francigena. Does anyone have information or suggestions on the benefits or downsides of the Via Aurelia, the Via Domitia or any other way of linking these places so that we can complete our Santiago - Rome pilgrimage? How vertiginous is the Mont Genevre route and how much busy road walking is on the Aurelia?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No information on your request but my wife and I are looking at walking Aosta to Rome in September. Any observation or recommendations? My wife loved the Camino and is worried we won't meet any pilgrims to share our experience on the VF.

Hallo sjagger, you can probably find out about Via Domitiana (from Arles to Montgenevre ) on the french site
http://www.ffrandonnee.fr/
For the other alternative (the Via Aurelia,along the cost from the French border to Sarzana,on the via francigena) have a look here
http://libri.terre.it/libri/collana/0/libro/343/La-Via-della-Costa/
also
http://www.viadellacosta.it/
The walk on via della Costa is rather nice, the west bit (from France to Genova )mostly flat on paved surface,very often right on the sea...east of Genova it gets a bit more inland with some ups and downs....
You can get a flavor of what it looks like here
France to genova
http://www.confraternitadisanjacopo...Santiago_2013-14/Diario_Genova-Bordighera.pdf
Genova to Lucca
http://www.confraternitadisanjacopo...sisi-Santiago_2013-14/Diario_Lucca-Genova.pdf
Let me know if you need more info
Ciao from Italy..

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No information on your request but my wife and I are looking at walking Aosta to Rome in September. Any observation or recommendations? My wife loved the Camino and is worried we won't meet any pilgrims to share our experience on the VF.
We loved the VF because it felt to us what we imagine the Camino Frances might have felt like 25 years ago. Indeed of the pilgrimage routes we have walked, this was one of our favorites. There was plenty of accommodation (lots of good religious institutions) and everybody along the way was very friendly and helpful - the Italians are not yet jaded with pilgrims. Almost every night we stayed with at least one or two pilgrims so there was enough camaraderie. Many pilgrims seem to plan their trip around arriving in Rome for a day when the Pope will be in St. Peter's Square so it would be useful to work your plans backwards from this. The Italians are really working on getting the VF off big roads but there is still some unpleasant walking and a couple of places where a bus would be a safer option, and sometimes one has to walk a very large loop to avoid the roads. Generally, however, the walking is pretty straight forward and the balisage is pretty good. The terrain is wonderfully varied, from the Po Valley, to the coast, to the mountains, to the hills of Tuscany.
I was going to add a list of some places that were really excellent to stay but realize it's a very long list. I'd be happy to send you our list if you are interested and also to answer any other questions. Unlike on the camino, few of the places have kitchens but pasta and pizza are ubiquitous so eating does not have to be expensive.

Having just finished the Via Francigena from Aosta to Rome, we would like to walk a link from Arles or Le Puy to the Via Francigena. Does anyone have information or suggestions on the benefits or downsides of the Via Aurelia, the Via Domitia or any other way of linking these places so that we can complete our Santiago - Rome pilgrimage? How vertiginous is the Mont Genevre route and how much busy road walking is on the Aurelia?

Bonjour. I followed the Via Domitia from Beziers to Montpellier on my way to Arles. Whilst there were sign posts and story boards indicating where the Via Domitia passed there wasn't a hiking trail as such just roads, cycle paths and an occassional track through vineyards. Finding somewhere to sleep was a challenge. One night I slept beneath a roll of insulation paper in the local gendarme's tool shed. The following night I had an ensuite room, with meals at a Maison de Retrait, gratuit.

From Arles I hiked via Montgenèvre to Assisi, Rome and beyond. I followed Le Chemin de Saint Jacques GR 653D (Via Domitia) to Montgenèvre, The hike over the pass from to Cessana Tourinese is mostly on broad trails. It is spectacular but not overly taxing, just a few grand ascents followed by a lengthy descent to the valley below. I set off early morning and arrived mid afternoon. The scenery and temperatures changed dramatically. Here's a link to my journey along the GR 653D . Where the trail was vertiginous and demanding I made note. Sorry, I am still out there walking and haven't had time to add to it or edit. Please excuse the gaps and the mindset.

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/arles-to-montgenèvre-gr653d.19203/

On the way back I followed Le Chemin de Saint Jacques through the Maritime Alps between Nice and Saint-Raphael. It was magnificent but occassionally on asphalt.
Cheers,

Last edited:
The Aurelia has little road walking. Some of the route from Menton to Mandelieu is fairly rugged. The via Della Costa has some nasty pieces of busy road, as well as some great stuff.

I think the worst roads I've seen worked into a trail were on the Francigena.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I agree. Before Tuscany the Via Francigena is a great flat expanse with trails through steaming rice fields and on asphalt or beside motorways. The people were wonderfully kind and hospitable, though.
cheers

We loved the VF because it felt to us what we imagine the Camino Frances might have felt like 25 years ago. Indeed of the pilgrimage routes we have walked, this was one of our favorites. There was plenty of accommodation (lots of good religious institutions) and everybody along the way was very friendly and helpful - the Italians are not yet jaded with pilgrims. Almost every night we stayed with at least one or two pilgrims so there was enough camaraderie. Many pilgrims seem to plan their trip around arriving in Rome for a day when the Pope will be in St. Peter's Square so it would be useful to work your plans backwards from this. The Italians are really working on getting the VF off big roads but there is still some unpleasant walking and a couple of places where a bus would be a safer option, and sometimes one has to walk a very large loop to avoid the roads. Generally, however, the walking is pretty straight forward and the balisage is pretty good. The terrain is wonderfully varied, from the Po Valley, to the coast, to the mountains, to the hills of Tuscany.
I was going to add a list of some places that were really excellent to stay but realize it's a very long list. I'd be happy to send you our list if you are interested and also to answer any other questions. Unlike on the camino, few of the places have kitchens but pasta and pizza are ubiquitous so eating does not have to be expensive.
sjagger,
Thanks for the information we are still looking into it and your comments are helpful.

I blundered into pilgrimage when I spent my first day in Siena following a group of young people promoting the Via Francigena within city limits. Soon after, I was walking the parts beyond the city, such as the trail from Montereggioni and the trail out to Buonconvento rail. My fave part of the Siena region is the near-desert to the south, the Crete Senesi. San Gimignano is unforgettable, of course, as well Colle Val d'Elsa, though I can't recall if it's actually on the the VF.

So, that's how I got started as a pilg: roaming the VF on day excursions from Siena. I remember a day high up in the desolate Crete looking down on a valley and thinking I was in a dream.

So if you get the chance...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I may tag onto this thread, is anyone familiar with the route heading from Arles south to join up with the Camino Catalan? It looks straight forward via Google maps, the Gronze map shows a dotted line from Montpellier to Narbonne to Girona. Is this section one of the GR trails ? I'd love to hear from anyone who has walked this stretch -- or knows a good web link? Thanks all.

.... is anyone familiar with the route heading from Arles south to join up with the Camino Catalan? .......a dotted line from Montpellier to Narbonne to Girona. Is this section one of the GR trails ? I'd love to hear from anyone who has walked this stretch -- or knows a good web link? Thanks all.

Hi there, Fritz. I'm not familiar with the Gronze map but I have walked part of your route -from Beziers to Arles, on my way elsewhere. Are you familiar with Peter Robins website? It's an excellent place to start:

http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/list.html.

Possibilities:
Via Tolosana GR653:
Arles to Montpellier

Via Domitia: Montpellier to Beziers (see comment above)

Canal du Midi: Beziers to Narbonne

Narbonne to Girona:
http://de.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4650389 mountain bike

Camì Gironí de Sant Jaume: http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/girona.html

http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/piemont.html

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
@lovingkindness Thank you very much, I had not seen the Peterrobins site and will go there along with the other links you shared. I appreciate your help. Once I know what questions to ask, I may be back with more.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I walked the Camino Portugues almost two years ago and will be walking Assisi to Rome in July. I hear there are many pilgrims on various stages, especially as it gets warmer. We will be walking 13 nights, 14 days. There is a tour agency helping us with sleeping and credentials, sincew it doesn't have teh alburges etc. that were on the other routes. Good luck!

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back