• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From SJPDP for a week April 2015

Katemc

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP to maybe logrono
hi, we are thinking of doing part of the camino this April and were thinking of starting in SJPDP. We will only have about a week or so. Looking for ideas and advice regarding how far we could realistically expect to walk, how difficult it would be hiking in the Pyrenees, what we should expect for the weather at beginning of April. I'd consider us to be fairly fit but that said we wouldn't have much experience hiking in mountains! Any other thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks for your help. Kate.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We had a member of our Camino family who did this. Just started at SJPP and walked until she had to catch a bus back to Madrid. You will be able to make it at least to Pamplona, and you could end at Alto de Perdon (with all of the silhouettes of medieval pilgrims), just west of Pamplona.

The Pyrenees may or may not be that tough based on your hiking experience, but time solves everything. If you have time (and you do--it took us 3.5 days from SJPP to Pamplona), you can just take it as slow as you need. I'd recommend staying at Orisson the first night. That allows you to take the Pyrenees in two smaller bites. Make reservations early.

Thanks! That's a great help. Flights booked so need to start looking into orrisson.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks! That's a great help. Flights booked so need to start looking into orrisson.
Hi Kate,
Myself and 3 of my sisters walked from SJPP for 5 days last May and ended up in Estella.
We didn't stop in Orisson but walked to Roncesvalles on the first day.
We're going back in May to walk another week.
Buen camino,
Audrey

Hi. Would it be more weather conditions that would necessitate a stop in orrisson? Or would it be better to stop there to ease ourselves into the walk? Also, we are going to be starting Good Friday- I suppose shops may be closed but assume most hostels and restaurants will be open as normal.

Hi. It was raining the day we started from SJPP but we're Irish so used to that. We left about 7am, stopped 3 times along the way including coffee and a lovely cake on Orisson, and got to Roncesvalles around 3 pm. It was a bit muddy in parts and slippy on the descent but not too bad. If you're reasonably fit and used to walking you should have no problems.
As for what's open on Good Friday maybe some other forum members who have been there at that time might know.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
AudTrekk post: 277248 said:
Hi. It was raining the day we started from SJPP but we're Irish so used to that. We left about 7am, stopped 3 times along the way including coffee and a lovely cake on Orisson, and got to Roncesvalles around 3 pm. It was a bit muddy in parts and slippy on the descent but not too bad. If you're reasonably fit and used to walking you should have no problems.
As for what's open on Good Friday maybe some other forum members who have been there at that time might know.
So compared to "the Reek", how hard will it be? Thinking of doing it as a training climb!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So compared to "the Reek", how hard will it be? Thinking of doing it as a training climb!
Haven't done the Reek but believe it is hard going on the way down - very shaley ( is that a word?)
The road out of St. Jean is paved for a long way but it is higher than Croagh Patrick and a lot more kms.
If you do the Reek just don't slide down and injure yourself before you even get on the Camino!

most of the climb out of StJPP is like the first part of Croagh Patrick. Its a climb, but its not like the top half of the Reek (i.e straight up!) I did Croagh Patrick in 1:30 min up. (for you to gauge) It was just under 2:45 min hours from StJPP to Orisson. And there is no shale. The next morning we left Orisson at 7:45 am and arrived at Roncesvalles at 12:35pm. Again, no shale.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's a great help. Thanks. It's good to have an idea of something to compare it against. Now to climb the reek!

If I only had a week to walk on the Camino, I would definitely try to push on to Roncesvalles the first day. Walking to Orisson and stopping there makes for a very short Camino day.
Again, it depends on your physical condition, fitness level and pack weight.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back