• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get from Madrid to Ferrol? Train?

rlr9200

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles - June 2015
Portugues - sometime soon, I hope
We will arrive in Madrid on a Saturday, and plan on staying for a couple of days. It is our plan to start our Camino on Tuesday. What is the best site to check for train options from Madrid to Ferrol? Or, maybe a better question is: Can someone more experienced than this first-timer show me the way?!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We will arrive in Madrid on a Saturday, and plan on staying for a couple of days. It is our plan to start our Camino on Tuesday. What is the best site to check for train options from Madrid to Ferrol? Or, maybe a better question is: Can someone more experienced than this first-timer show me the way?!
Hola!

www.skyscanner.com
- Madrid - La Coruna with stop in Barcelona (June 2015) around 100€, direct around 200€,
- Madrid - Santiago (48€)
- Madrid - Vigo (139€),
those are the closest airports to Ferrol. Of course A Coruna is actually on second option of CI, but seems like flight to SdC (& bus to Ferrol) might be the cheapest.

Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola!

www.skyscanner.com
- Madrid - La Coruna with stop in Barcelona (June 2015) around 100€, direct around 200€,
- Madrid - Santiago (48€)
- Madrid - Vigo (139€),
those are the closest airports to Ferrol. Of course A Coruna is actually on second option of CI, but seems like flight to SdC (& bus to Ferrol) might be the cheapest.

Ultreia!
You can say. " Madrid via Barcelona to
A Coruña " -around- ! :p
It is a trip almost around the world to get in Ferrol . My goodness Is this serious ?

It is a trip almost around the world to get in Ferrol . My goodness Is this serious ?
Hahaha, it is :) But it could be shorter timewise than train&bus etc. Wasn't going through expences for those though...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

If you're over 60 be sure to go to the Renfe office and get a pass. Costs €6 or 7. Plus take your passport for age verification. Deep discounts. Really worth having. Made me feel better about decrepitude.

If you're over 60 be sure to go to the Renfe office and get a pass. Costs €6 or 7. Plus take your passport for age verification. Deep discounts. Really worth having. Made me feel better about decrepitude.
They call this "descuento tercera edad ". Discount for them who are over 60 years old. Also in museums etc. Allways ask for it in Spain but also in Portugal.
Worthwhile to ask for .
Bom caminho

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For Renfe ask for the Targeta Dorada http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/tarifas/tarjeta_dorada.html

Monday - Thursday 40% discount

Friday, Saturday and Sunday 25% discount

Available at Train Stations and Travel Agencies - Cost 6€
Be carefull if you ask for a "targeta dorada " This means a kind of golden blast or explosion whatever it may be :p:D

But instead of , ask for a tarjeta dorada.. That means a golden card, at Renfe's window it stands for a discount card obviously as Johnnie says and I do believe him :)

The pronounciation of targeta and tarjeta is almost the same but written ....take care !

Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The direct overnight train from Madrid to Ferrol would be a good option but it doesn't run on Saturdays. For info about schedules, fares and ticket purchase, take a look at the web of RENFE that has been already linked by other user. Booking online (well) in advance you could be able to get a discounted fare. If you can get one of the discounted fares available online, the tarjeta dorada isn't worth it because, AFAIK, you can't add the tarjeta dorada discount to the other discounts and you'll get a greater discount with a promo or promo+ fare than with a tarjeta dorada fare.

Thank you to everyone! Got it planned. A little too early to book for June, but I'll be watching.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
e will arrive in Madrid on a Saturday, and plan on staying for a couple of days. It is our plan to start our Camino on Tuesday. What is the best site to check for train

Thank you. It seems that you can only reserve about one month in advance. Is this always the case? Will I need to wait until May for a June booking?

Thanks in advance!

€149,-

Sorry, it is not a joke. In fact, over the past 20 or more years traveling around and living in Europe, I can state more or less categorically that, as regards international travel by rail, road, and almost as poorly by air, the EU never occurred. Each country is, with limited exceptions, in the same insular state it always was regarding surface transportation options.

It is a Euro-version of the old "down east" US (Maine) joke: "Nope, you can't there there from here..." Here in the US it is correctly pronounced (in regional dialect as ): "Nope! Yuh caaaahnt get theeeeah from heeeeah!" Of course it is hugely funny when a salty old-timer gives the advice while toying with his pipe to some young urban couple in their shiny new sports sedan who think that all things are possible.

In too many cases, there is simply no direct or convenient way to go from point A to point B in Europe if those points are in different, even adjoining countries. The primary exceptions are from major hub or industrial cities in the various countries. There is a cross-European series of "main-lines" that provide fast, efficient and economical travel between these major nodes. However, if you live far off this route, you are literally off the map in terms of direct rail or bus routes.

The problem occurs even within countries like Spain. Before the EU / Schengen treaty opened Spain and many other countries to international visa-free travel from previously unconsidered and undreamed of points. Before this, national politics, regional issues, economic difficulties and any variety of longstanding problems all contributed to keeping most of Europe "balkanized" if you will.

Consider that in the 20th Century, Spain encountered and survived three very serious existential threats. First, the reign of fascist General Francisco Franco, second, the Spanish Civil War (which many historians regard as a proxy war for World War II), followed by World War II. The economic vicissitudes and hardships, as well as the and necessary decisions forced by these three serious events, and in the case of General Franco, the fact that he remained in power until the mid-1970s, explains in large part why the rail and road networks in Spain are as they appear today.

It takes generations to undo these patterns of isolation and neglect. Even today, it is usually through huge cash infusions in the form of grants from the EU that enables Spain to build modern autopistas (motorways) to better link it to its European neighbors.

The current conflict among those seeking to undertake one or another of the popular European Camino routes is that so many of them span multiple countries that getting to a starting point in an obscure or nationally unpopular route can be a serious journey in itself. Also, I would just "offer this up" as one of the sacrifices to be made whilst undertaking a Camino.

The reason is simple. In so many places the Camino is the only economic activity other than subsistence level farming or very small scale industry. In other words, if not for the spurt of economic activity related to the Camino and pilgrims, too many places in Spain, Portugal and southern France would wither away, depopulate, and lose their reason to be.

Those of us who have walked the Camino Frances can appreciate this fact when we come to a town with a published population of only 80 people. Yet the town has perhaps two hostals, three albergues, four cafes, two tiendas, a panadería, a functioning church, and has some sort of bus service stopping at the nearby road junction. Do your maths. Clearly everyone in the town works directly to support the pilgrims that patronize the various businesses there. No Camino...no town...keep it alive...spend locally!

I hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back