• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Guidance on Water to carry

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
As it is raining hard I have put off walking, so I am fine-tuning (ok playing) with my packing list and deciding what to cut out and take and weighing everything again. I am dithering on water. I have now decided to leave my water bladder and will instead take a deuter pulse one front holster with a 500ml nalgene bottle for easy access. I have a second 500ml nalgene bottle which I will carry in packback. Initially thought I would carry 3 bottles and 1.5 litres of water. So my question is can I get away with just carrying 2 bottles and 1 litre?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My short answer is yes, I carried two 500ml plastic store bottles and refilled as necessary at cafe's or I bought a litre bottle and split it between them. The reason I like to carry two is to balance the pack, one bottle in each outside net pocket.
Thanks for reply. Now that I have transferred one bottle and carrying one in a front holster belt it does imbalance the backpack - that is why I was thinking of taking 3 bottles in total. Having said I suppose backpack will never be perfectly aligned - especially I will drinking the water anyway.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I suppose part of my point was unless you drink a lot of water while you walk two 500ml bottles should suffice IMO as the distances between stops is for the most part fairly short.
Think I read somewhere advice was to drink 500ml of water before I set off each day which led me to thinking carrying 1 litre may be fine as long as I top up everywhere too. As it is fairly cold in England at moment probably drinking 500ml on average 10 mile/16 km walk. Playing on mind how hot Spain gets but not sure how this will be for CF in May/June as traditionally we take family holidays in Spain in July/August.

As it is raining hard I have put off walking, so I am fine-tuning (ok playing) with my packing list and deciding what to cut out and take and weighing everything again. I am dithering on water. I have now decided to leave my water bladder and will instead take a deuter pulse one front holster with a 500ml nalgene bottle for easy access. I have a second 500ml nalgene bottle which I will carry in packback. Initially thought I would carry 3 bottles and 1.5 litres of water. So my question is can I get away with just carrying 2 bottles and 1 litre?
Like wayfarer I use plastic 500ml bottles too. One I carry in my belt/hip/photo pack to be reached easily and other two I have in my backpack. Why plastic bottles? They weight next to nothing and I can refill them with yummy water from public fountains in the villages. If I know there's just one hour walk to the next fountain I fill up just one 500ml bottle and so on - one bottle for approx.one hour (5kms in my case) walk. In this case those two empty plastic bottles weight really next to nothing ;)
Also I don't buy bottled water as it is already "dead", I prefer "live" water from the fountain. And if I carry those two bottles full in my backpack I make sure that the're well wrapped in some clothes to prevent warming the water. There's nothing like cold water when you're thirsty. OK, apart from beer ;)

Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Think I read somewhere advice was to drink 500ml of water before I set off each day which led me to thinking carrying 1 litre may be fine as long as I top up everywhere too. As it is fairly cold in England at moment probably drinking 500ml on average 10 mile/16 km walk. Playing on mind how hot Spain gets but not sure how this will be for CF in May/June as traditionally we take family holidays in Spain in July/August.
That's exactly my recipe. I hydrate myself in the morning with at least 1l or more. But I don't eat breakfast on the other hand...

I also now use a Smartube, this means you don't have to stop to get out your bottles to drink, this caused me to get partially dehydrated a few times in 2012 as I kept putting off stopping to get my bottles out of the side pockets to drink. I came across these in 2013 and it works a treat for me.
Edit: Here is the link I forgot to put in.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/SmarTube-Tri...7783763?pt=Fahrrad_Schuhe&hash=item19c4505e53

Last edited:
I have gone in May on both my caminos. In 2009 we had some VERY hot weather in the mid 30's Celsius, and in 2013 some very CRISP weather; so you just don't know what you might encounter on that score. In hot weather I carried more water, usually 1.5 litres, but in the cooler weather 1 litre was generally sufficient, unless it was one of the longer stretches between water sources. I carried one bottle in a holster that fit with velcro over my waist belt, and I really liked having the water readily accessible like that. The other bottle(s) I carried in my pack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You gotta work really, really hard on the Camino Frances to be heat/dehydration casualty. Even during the summer months of June-August. It's too easy to stay hydrated. I carried three 500 ml bottles. Always kept two full, and the only time I filled three was the first day over the Pyrenees from SJPdP to Roncesvalles and the stretch from Carrion de los Condes to Calzadilla. Otherwise there are fountains, cafes, restaurants etc from which to fill your bottles. I always started the morning by slamming down one liter before I started my walk. You are more dehydrated than you think when you wake up in the morning, and also coffee and cola are diuretics. If you drink them, you need to drink more water to take up the slack.
Oh, yeah...wear a good hat, too.
Let me get on my environmental soapbox as well. Just refill your water bottles. No need to keep buying them and adding to the umpteen billions that are are already out there and one day will blanket the earth.

Yes, a litre will be plenty for most of your route (I'm assuming Camino Frances) as long as you fill up when you have long stretches to the next town. It's easy enough to buy an extra 500ml or 1-litre water in a supermarket and refill it if you find you're not getting by with 1 litre.

I used store bottles rather than nalgene as I didn't want to clean them--I filled at fountains and replaced them every few days as needed. I carried one in each front pocket of hiking pants and had a third new one stashed in bag as an emergency bottle.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You gotta work really, really hard on the Camino Frances to be heat/dehydration casualty. Even during the summer months of June-August. It's too easy to stay hydrated. I carried three 500 ml bottles. Always kept two full, and the only time I filled three was the first day over the Pyrenees from SJPdP to Roncesvalles and the stretch from Carrion de los Condes to Calzadilla. Otherwise there are fountains, cafes, restaurants etc from which to fill your bottles. I always started the morning by slamming down one liter before I started my walk. You are more dehydrated than you think when you wake up in the morning, and also coffee and cola are diuretics. If you drink them, you need to drink more water to take up the slack.
Oh, yeah...wear a good hat, too.
Let me get on my environmental soapbox as well. Just refill your water bottles. No need to keep buying them and adding to the umpteen billions that are are already out there and one day will blanket the earth.
Are you me?
:D

So my question is can I get away with just carrying 2 bottles and 1 litre?
Of course you can, but I would recommend that you calculate your real water needs if you have the time and the inclination, and then work out what you need to carry to (a) just make it to the next available water, and (b) what reserve you wish to have. I have previously posted on some misconceptions about the time or distances between towns on the CF here and here.

Personally, I prefer a bladder, and if I need to carry a reserve, carry a 750ml or 1li thin walled bottle that you can purchase at most shops, etc. I have used the 2li Source bladder for some years, which if filled to the brim carries about 2.2 li, and with a 750ml bottle means that I am carrying nearly 3li. When I last measured my water consumption (on warm day doing a bush walk here in Australia) it was about 700ml / hr, so the bladder alone will suffice for about three hours if I was staying properly hydrated. If I carry a reserve bottle, this all weighs about 160 gm, or about 55 gm/li carried.

In contrast, just on what I can see on the web, you will be carrying a Deuter Pulse (140gm) and two Nalgene 500 ml bottles (180 gm x2) or a total of nearly 500 gm for 1 li of water. Tell me I'm wrong, but you seem to be adding about 350 gm to carry 1 li less of water. Even if you used thin walled bottles (say 25 gm each) this would still be 190 gm, or an extra 30 gm and you are still carrying less water.

New pilgrims/walker need to know that the most effective way of staying hydrated is to drink freely, preferably before they get thirsty, and that one of the most effective ways of achieving that is a bladder or other arrangement where they don't have to stretch to get to their water. This is just as true on the Camino as it is in remote places. Further, they should know that they will generally be less than two hours from the next location, but over 5% of the time it will be more than that when they set out from the previous location.

If you are not going to use a bladder, there are tubing systems that can be used with normal thin walled water bottles that would seem to offer similar advantages even if you might be carrying less water overall.

Edit: corrected an arithmetic error - can't bat, can't bowl and can't add or subtract properly either!

Last edited:
I carry ONE 8 ounce bottle and fill it on the way.
I've never been dehydrated and never lacked for water.
I don't stretch out my water.
I just drink when I fill up and then when I'm thirsty.
I also carry an orange, almost always.
I prefer bottle over bladder, having used both, because of ease of cleaning.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yes, if walking the Frances. There are so many places to refill along the way. On some of the more remote routes that may not be the case. On a separate note, I gave away my bladder. I spent more time and effort making sure it was clean than it is worth.

Ultreya,
Joe

Personally, that little water would last me less than 30 minutes, and I would be building up a significant water debt over the day walking in spring and summer.

I suggest that if you don't know what your own water consumption rates are, carrying a litre is reasonable, and if you find you need less, then adjust if you feel like taking the risk.

Are you me?
Great minds think alike, I guess....:D
I would always try eat at least something to go with the water before I started out, though. Generally a couple of bananas I bought the night before, if possible. Maybe some dark chocolate or an energy bar.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We've had this conversation before, Doug, and yes, each person must decide for themselves.
My suggestion:
Ask yourself, how much water do you drink each morning?
Start keeping a journal just to keep track of your water intake.
I drink NO water at home until afternoon.
I drink a couple of cups of coffee and maybe an orange juice in the morning,
and that's it.
Walking in May, the weather is chilly and even in June, I didn't drink any more water.
In July or August, I carry a bit more, but not on the Frances because there is always water within a few kilometers.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I would always try eat at least something to go with the water before I started out, though. Generally a couple of bananas I bought the night before, if possible. Maybe some dark chocolate or an energy bar.
Oh, well, on bananas & chocolate you're on the line with @SYates :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We've had this conversation before, Doug, and yes, each person must decide for themselves.
My suggestion:
and that's it.
Walking in May, the weather is chilly and even in June, I didn't drink any more water.
In July or August, I carry a bit more, but not on the Frances because there is always water within a few kilometers.
I agree that we are all going to be different - I know that when I am walking, I am comfortable sweating freely. But I do need to carry enough water to compensate for that. A friend who walks with me almost religiously avoids sweating, and knows that he can carry far less water as a result. I don't see either approach as necessarily right or wrong, just different.

In the past, I have seen other walkers carry and consume very little water, and not fill up in the field because of their fears about water quality. They claimed not be dehydrated, but over the course of the day never needed to stop and urinate, and in the evening would complain of headaches. These and other signs are early signs to me that I have become mildly dehydrated.

My experience on the CF is that it is a mis-perception that there is always water 'within a few kilometres', and I addressed that in the posts that I linked in my earlier response. I walked in Apr 2010, and was caught badly on the Meseta when many of the fonts listed in Brierley proved to be dry. Perhaps it was too early for them to have been turned on, the water table was too low, or the pump needed priming. Who knows. But at that time, I learnt not to trust being able to get water between towns, and generally that means carrying enough water for a couple of hours.

Where does drinking a cold beer at about noontime on the Camino put me? :D
I know it might appear very un-Australian, but I don't drink a lot of beer while on the Camino, leaving it until Santiago to savour that pleasure. But it seems to me as fluid intake, it counts towards your hydration, even if there are possible side effects!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, well, on bananas & chocolate you're on the line with @SYates :D

Just for the record, apart of choc&banana I also eat lots of salty foods like cheese and chorizo and drink lots and lots of water, typically 4+ litre a day or more. Buen Camino! SY

... I drink NO water at home until afternoon. I drink a couple of cups of coffee and maybe an orange juice in the morning,and that's it. Walking in May, the weather is chilly and even in June, I didn't drink any more water. In July or August, I carry a bit more, but not on the Frances because there is always water within a few kilometers. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If that works for you, fine, but please don't recommend it to anyone else! It really could put their Camino and health in danger! SY

Just for the record, apart of choc&banana I also eat lots of salty foods like cheese and chorizo and drink lots and lots of water, typically 4+ litre a day or more. Buen Camino! SY
I have to repeat this: Are you me?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know it might appear very un-Australian, but I don't drink a lot of beer while on the Camino, leaving it until Santiago to savour that pleasure. But it seems to me as fluid intake, it counts towards your hydration, even if there are possible side effects!!
Yeah, didn't do it everyday, but sometimes I would stop at some little cafe/bar for a break and it seemed like the right thing to do. Generally around noon or so. My destination only a couple of hours away. I was never in a rush. Besides, I'd pick-up another sello for my pilgrim's passport. :)

They claimed not be dehydrated, but over the course of the day never needed to stop and urinate, and in the evening would complain of headaches. These and other signs are early signs to me that I have become mildly dehydrated.

Also dehydration (before, during and/OR after walking in hot and also very cold weather) might cause muscle cramps. I'm following one simple approach to this - if my urine isn't clear that means I'm dehydrated. And that's it, never had headaches, cramps etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The water issue depends upon the person's physical necessities AND the weather conditions. The Camino(s) cross various country sides with very different climates. The seasons are equally varied along the paths and require more, or less, liquids. Know your body and listen, and plan ahead for the day and its probably requirements. There just isn't a shorter answer.:D

Only if you love vino of any color AND all sorts of animals (minus the 8-legged variety!). SY

PS Ljubljana isn't too far from Prague, in case you want to visit, we have a guest bed room!
Thanks, SY! I've been in Prague in 1987 for the first time and in 2000 for the last - what a difference!!! But will let you know if I decide to visit this great city again.

Vino? Who do you think you're talking to? I'm from Slovenia ;)

EDIT: Sorry folks for going completely off-topic...

In short, and just for you @KinkyOne , if the colour of your urine resembles the colour of a Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc, you are fine, if it approaches the colour of a vino tinto, you are in deep health trouble. See also
Urine_Chart.jpg
and the corresponding article here: http://www.navyfitness.org/nutrition/noffs_fueling_series/hydrate/ Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like wayfarer I use plastic 500ml bottles too. One I carry in my belt/hip/photo pack to be reached easily and other two I have in my backpack. Why plastic bottles? They weight next to nothing and I can refill them with yummy water from public fountains in the villages. If I know there's just one hour walk to the next fountain I fill up just one 500ml bottle and so on - one bottle for approx.one hour (5kms in my case) walk. In this case those two empty plastic bottles weight really next to nothing ;)
Also I don't buy bottled water as it is already "dead", I prefer "live" water from the fountain. And if I carry those two bottles full in my backpack I make sure that the're well wrapped in some clothes to prevent warming the water. There's nothing like cold water when you're thirsty. OK, apart from beer ;)

Ultreia!
Thanks for helpful reply

Of course you can, but I would recommend that you calculate your real water needs if you have the time and the inclination, and then work out what you need to carry to (a) just make it to the next available water, and (b) what reserve you wish to have. I have previously posted on some misconceptions about the time or distances between towns on the CF here and here.

Personally, I prefer a bladder, and if I need to carry a reserve, carry a 750ml or 1li thin walled bottle that you can purchase at most shops, etc. I have used the 2li Source bladder for some years, which if filled to the brim carries about 2.2 li, and with a 750ml bottle means that I am carrying nearly 3li. When I last measured my water consumption (on warm day doing a bush walk here in Australia) it was about 700ml / hr, so the bladder alone will suffice for about three hours if I was staying properly hydrated. If I carry a reserve bottle, this all weighs about 160 gm, or about 55 gm/li carried.

In contrast, just on what I can see on the web, you will be carrying a Deuter Pulse (140gm) and two Nalgene 500 ml bottles (180 gm x2) or a total of nearly 500 gm for 1 li of water. Tell me I'm wrong, but you seem to be adding about 350 gm to carry 1 li less of water. Even if you used thin walled bottles (say 25 gm each) this would still be 190 gm, or an extra 30 gm and you are still carrying less water.

New pilgrims/walker need to know that the most effective way of staying hydrated is to drink freely, preferably before they get thirsty, and that one of the most effective ways of achieving that is a bladder or other arrangement where they don't have to stretch to get to their water. This is just as true on the Camino as it is in remote places. Further, they should know that they will generally be less than two hours from the next location, but over 5% of the time it will be more than that when they set out from the previous location.

If you are not going to use a bladder, there are tubing systems that can be used with normal thin walled water bottles that would seem to offer similar advantages even if you might be carrying less water overall.

Edit: corrected an arithmetic error - can't bat, can't bowl and can't add or subtract properly either!
Thanks for helpful reply

Yes, if walking the Frances. There are so many places to refill along the way. On some of the more remote routes that may not be the case. On a separate note, I gave away my bladder. I spent more time and effort making sure it was clean than it is worth.

Ultreya,
Joe
Agree - I can't be doing with cleaning my water bladder after an exhausting day's walking. Knowing me I would leave it, hope for the best and fall ill!

I used store bottles rather than nalgene as I didn't want to clean them--I filled at fountains and replaced them every few days as needed. I carried one in each front pocket of hiking pants and had a third new one stashed in bag as an emergency bottle.
Do I now have to worry about cleaning my nalgene bottles if I only have water in them? I am trying to simplify my existence by losing the bladder!

Sounds good to me

Cheese and chorizo 2 of my favourites! Like just gets better with that recommendation - thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If that works for you, fine, but please don't recommend it to anyone else! It really could put their Camino and health in danger! SY

I didn't recommend it to anyone.
I said it is what I do myself. ;)

Just as you said you drink over 4 liters a day,
which would certainly make me explode and delete my electrolytes to the point of death.

What I DID say was that every person needs to journal their water intake, and then decide what works for them.:)

Thanks for reply. Now that I have transferred one bottle and carrying one in a front holster belt it does imbalance the backpack - that is why I was thinking of taking 3 bottles in total. Having said I suppose backpack will never be perfectly aligned - especially I will drinking the water anyway.
I made the mistake of carrying 1 liter bottles on each side of my bag on my first CF: by the time I got to a day before Burgos, after 20km I could not put a foor in front of the other from the back pain. So now I have a Camelback. Yes, the first sips are warm and not too tasty, it is a pain to fill up, but if I want to walk long distances (CF may not apply except in 2 areas perhaps where water is not available for 15km) like CDN or my next walk on Primitivo, I would not depend on side bottles. Plus, if you are walking on your own. how many times do you really want to take your bag off to get a drink or replenish a 500ml bottle you may have strapped to a strap?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I made the mistake of carrying 1 liter bottles on each side of my bag on my first CF: by the time I got to a day before Burgos, after 20km I could not put a foor in front of the other from the back pain. ,,, I would not depend on side bottles. Plus, if you are walking on your own. how many times do you really want to take your bag off to get a drink or replenish a 500ml bottle you may have strapped to a strap?

A very easy solution - drink alternately from each side bottle. No change of balance then plus choose a backpack that has forward facing pockets, no need to ask somebody to help you either. You can do it yourself without the need to put your backpack down. Buen Camino! SY

I made the mistake of carrying 1 liter bottles on each side of my bag on my first CF: by the time I got to a day before Burgos, after 20km I could not put a foor in front of the other from the back pain. So now I have a Camelback. Yes, the first sips are warm and not too tasty, it is a pain to fill up, but if I want to walk long distances (CF may not apply except in 2 areas perhaps where water is not available for 15km) like CDN or my next walk on Primitivo, I would not depend on side bottles. Plus, if you are walking on your own. how many times do you really want to take your bag off to get a drink or replenish a 500ml bottle you may have strapped to a strap?

I have recently bought a "Deuter - pulse one" belt which runners carry and wear it on the front and for me it is perfect solution as I can now easily access my 500ml water bottle.

deuter-pulse-one-sport-belt.jpg

@Anemone del Camino
jostony clearly wrote that he carried one bottle in front holster. So do I and until I drank that 500ml bottle I didn't have to put my backpack off. Also carrying 1l bottles, especially in side (opened/mesh) pockets, isnt very clever. At least one bottle will be exposed to the sun and very warm by the time you'll need it. That's why I recommend using 500ml plastic bottles stashed inside the backpack, wraped in some clothes. On my three Caminos so far I've never seen a 500ml bottle wider than a usual backpack. So if you put that bottle(s) horizontally in rucksack, close to your back, it would not only stay colder for longer but also won't make your backpack unbalanced whether you'll drink all, half or none of that water. It's very simple ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Anemone del Camino
jostony clearly wrote that he carried one bottle in front holster. So do I and until I drank that 500ml bottle I didn't have to put my backpack off. Also carrying 1l bottles, especially in side (opened/mesh) pockets, isnt very clever. At least one bottle will be exposed to the sun and very warm by the time you'll need it. That's why I recommend using 500ml plastic bottles stashed inside the backpack, wraped in some clothes. On my three Caminos so far I've never seen a 500ml bottle wider than a usual backpack. So if you put that bottle(s) horizontally in rucksack, close to your back, it would not only stay colder for longer but also won't make your backpack unbalanced whether you'll drink all, half or none of that water. It's very simple ;)
Will an aluminum water bottle keep water cooler if carried on outside backpack? I suppose what I will probably do is at each fountain I stop at I will top up and replace all water in each bottle for colder stuff

A very easy solution - drink alternately from each side bottle. No change of balance then plus choose a backpack that has forward facing pockets, no need to ask somebody to help you either. You can do it yourself without the need to put your backpack down. Buen Camino! SY
Perhpas, but fit in a bag comes first, and for the right fit I am willing to forgo water being easily accesible. Have yet to see a backpack that checks all boxes. You get to a point where you pick your battles, and Camelback solved that battle.

I don't stretch out my water.
I just drink when I fill up and then when I'm thirsty.
I also carry an orange, almost always.
I prefer bottle over bladder, having used both, because of ease of cleaning.
8 onces - how much water do you drink at home when not walking? I drink 3 litters easily. 8 ounces would not get me to the next street corner.

Will an aluminum water bottle keep water cooler if carried on outside backpack? I suppose what I will probably do is at each fountain I stop at I will top up and replace all water in each bottle for colder stuff
I don't think that aluminium water bottle would keep the liquid cooler for a subtantial amount of time. Maybe a bit longer, but that's no "hot-water-bottle" which works in both direction so to speak. If the sun is shining directly to your bottle you can keep it colder for some time if wrapped in wet towel, for example. But as soon as the towel is dry the magic will end ;)

My suggestion:
and that's it.
Clearly you drink very little water in your natural state, and some would argue well below what is generally recommended. May work for you, but doubt it is wise advice for people you have never met.

I have recently bought a "Deuter - pulse one" belt which runners carry and wear it on the front and for me it is perfect solution as I can now easily access my 500ml water bottle.

deuter-pulse-one-sport-belt.jpg
Check this low budget option:

And lightweight!

€60,-
I don't think that aluminium water bottle would keep the liquid cooler for a subtantial amount of time. Maybe a bit longer, but that's no "hot-water-bottle" which works in both direction so to speak. If the sun is shining directly to your bottle you can keep it colder for some time if wrapped in wet towel, for example. But as soon as the towel is dry the magic will end ;)
No perfect solution. But wet towel sounds doable. I suppose when it rains all the time I can open my mouth instead and problem solved! But then I would feel compelled to complain about the mud.. Sooner I am doing the Camino and getting on with it the less time I will have to over think and try and anticipate and solutionize (if that is even a word) every possible scenario!

Clearly you drink very little water in your natural state, and some would argue well below what is generally recommended. May work for you, but doubt it is wise advice for people you have never met.

Again, I am not giving anybody advice.
I am saying what works for me.
Please do not put words in my mouth.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
8 onces - how much water do you drink at home when not walking? I drink 3 litters easily. 8 ounces would not get me to the next street corner.

I will cut and paste this since you apparently did not read it:

and that's it.

I drink 3 litters easily.

Just the thought of drinking 3 liters of water gives me a gag reflex.
There is no way I could get it down.

That is my point.

Every person is different, which is why I said:

This way you have an idea of how much water YOUR body needs and how many bottles you should carry.

Plus, if you are walking on your own. how many times do you really want to take your bag off to get a drink or replenish a 500ml bottle you may have strapped to a strap?

I carry my water in the pocket of my Macabi skirt.
Or, if I'm wearing pants, I carry it in the side pocket of my pack, where it easily grabbed.
I guess some of us are more limber than others.
I just don't see it as an issue.
You stop, rest, take off your pack, drink, put on your pack, walk.
People have done it for centuries.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just the thought of drinking 3 liters of water gives me a gag reflex.
There is no way I could get it down.

That is my point.

Every person is different, which is why I said:

This way you have an idea of how much water YOUR body needs and how many bottles you should carry.
But the OP is asking what is enough, without prefacing it by saying he's a Camel. So your reality ... not that of the bulk of us.

Thanks for sharing suggestion. Mind you me and DIY is another topic altogether!
If you make one for yourself, make one for me as well ;0)

Walked with uber walkers last fall, and that's what they had. Envied their access to water, even if they did still carry more in their backpack.

Do I now have to worry about cleaning my nalgene bottles if I only have water in them? I am trying to simplify my existence by losing the bladder!
You have to clean water bottles or bladders even if you just carry water. That is why I prefer disposable bottles while walking. This choice is unpopular among those who worry more about saving the planet than I do. At home I use Nalgene bottles and wash every couple of days with soap and water with a small amount of bleach and then rinse well. When traveling I opt for simplicity, thus purchase bottled water, refill at fountains, and properly dispose of the bottles every two or 3 days. This added maybe 20 € to my Camino expenses.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you make one for yourself, make one for me as well ;0)

Walked with uber walkers last fall, and that's what they had. Envied their access to water, even if they did still carry more in their backpack.
I am accident prone so will give making anything a miss! Uber walkers sounds fast - that ain't me - not today, tomorrow or in 40+ days to Santiago either!

You have to clean water bottles or bladders even if you just carry water. That is why I prefer disposable bottles while walking. This choice is unpopular among those who worry more about saving the planet than I do. At home I use Nalgene bottles and wash every couple of days with soap and water with a small amount of bleach and then rinse well. When traveling I opt for simplicity, thus purchase bottled water, refill at fountains, and properly dispose of the bottles every two or 3 days. This added maybe 20 € to my Camino expenses.
Really - cleaning my bottles ! Learn something every day - even if it is something you don't want to learn! Thanks

I am accident prone so will give making anything a miss! Uber walkers sounds fast - that ain't me - not today, tomorrow or in 40+ days to Santiago either!
They were well in the 60s but part of a walking group from the Canarias - just people with brilliant tips and techniques to share for those of us who may ... just not be like them ;0)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No matter what you use, and keep reusing, you still need to clean properly. And yes, green trumps single pilgrim. - Sorry, after all, do you know what your great grand mother's name was and what her values were? Didn't think so ;0)
Just boil water at the albergue, or buy fancy pills at home. Just stop poluting.

No matter what you use, and keep reusing, you still need to clean properly. And yes, green trumps single pilgrim. - Sorry, after all, do you know what your great grand mother's name was and what her values were? Didn't think so ;0)
Just boil water at the albergue, or buy fancy pills at home. Just stop poluting.
When they stop selling, I'll stop buying. Each to her/his own.

When they stop selling, I'll stop buying. Each to her/his own.
Ah, for every pilgrim dying from dirty walking bottles, they choose not to wash well, they have 19 kids and counting comming behing them, and what is it, 390 grandchildren. And Africa gets blamed for over population.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
But the OP is asking what is enough, without prefacing it by saying he's a Camel. So your reality ... not that of the bulk of us.

His question was specifically:
"...can I get away with just carrying 2 bottles and 1 litre?"

My answer was to tell him how much water I, myself, drink (like everyone else did) and then to suggest:

Since we are all different, this would be a good way to figure out how much water is right for HIM to carry.

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be?
It feels like you just want to argue.
Do you?
And if so, for heavens sakes, why?

His question was specifically:
"...can I get away with just carrying 2 bottles and 1 litre?"

My answer was to tell him how much water I, myself, drink (like everyone else did) and then to suggest:

Since we are all different, this would be a good way to figure out how much water is right for HIM to carry.

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be?
It feels like you just want to argue.
Do you?
And if so, for heavens sakes, why?
And this is what you had to you say, about yourself, leaving little room for anyone else's needs:
" I drink NO water at home until afternoon.
and that's it.
In July or August, I carry a bit more, but not on the Frances because there is always water within a few kilometers."
Where is the latitude?

yes?
that's what I said because that's what I do.
And the problem is...????

I'm sorry if it bothers you that I don't drink water.
I'm not sure how my water drinking habits affect your life adversely, but I think it's time for conversation between you and I to be over, because it feels like you are attacking me, and I'm not sure why.

Very... very... strange...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
yes?
that's what I said because that's what I do.
And the problem is...????
Didn't you just say you are not telling people to be just like you? I am going to bed. How does what YOU do apply to others, and why do then look down on others for not needing as little water as YOU do. Going to bed. Sweet dreams.

The bananas and the chocolate do sound good though. On my first Camino, I was crying all the way down the hill into Roncesvalles. Some busigrinos ran past me and one stopped and gave me a piece of chocolate. I think she saved my life...

I'm an ex infantryman. I've worked in very hot countries and extremely cold ones. Everyone's water intake is different. What we were taught was to be aware of your body needs and listen to them. Therefore at first carry a little more than you think you need, you can cut that back or add as you go along. Simple really. If stuck you can always ask for a drink of a comrade. Also be aware in you and others the symptoms of dehydration. Its that simple folks

Davey

Hey jostony......trust me when I say that this whole where to carry the water bottles thing is getting waaaaaay too over-complicated on this particular thread :confused:. The pockets on either sides of your pack work just fine for that job. That's why they are there. At the very most it is the most minor of inconveniences to get the bottle in and out of those pockets and if one side getting ever so slightly heavier than the other side due to uneven water consumption I recommend alternating to eliminate that possibility. I didn't alternate and honestly did not notice, and the water never gets warm enough to even notice as well. It's not that hot in northern Spain.
Best bet is to just keep it simple and hydrate.

I walked in Apr 2010, and was caught badly on the Meseta when many of the fonts listed in Brierley proved to be dry. Perhaps it was too early for them to have been turned on, the water table was too low, or the pump needed priming. Who knows. But at that time, I learnt not to trust being able to get water between towns, and generally that means carrying enough water for a couple of hours.

I did have that happen on the VDLP, and it was frightening. Luckily, some men happened by and opened the front of the fountain, flipped a switch, and voila! Water! But I've never had it happen on the Frances.

Probably another thing to do is check with the albergue before leaving to see if they have information about the fountains. I know we were warned in September one year that the fountain between Orisson and Roncesvalles was dry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Depends on the time of year. In the spring or fall when it is cooler you should have no problem getting to the next water source on a litre, but when it is hot out you should probably have more.

I feel like I"m in the Twilight Zone.
Moderator?
Help?
In Annie's defence, she has shared her experience and suggested a way of working out how much water you personally might need to carry. It is no different to what I did. We clearly come from opposite ends of the spectrum. If you would rather be less risky than Annie, or less conservative than me, then we have given you a couple of different approaches to finding out where you might want to be on that spectrum. That and the advice from other contributors to this discussion should get you started. If you adjust along the way, that is great too!

Hey jostony......trust me when I say that this whole where to carry the water bottles thing is getting waaaaaay too over-complicated on this particular thread :confused:. The pockets on either sides of your pack work just fine for that job. That's why they are there. At the very most it is the most minor of inconveniences to get the bottle in and out of those pockets and if one side getting ever so slightly heavier than the other side due to uneven water consumption I recommend alternating to eliminate that possibility. I didn't alternate and honestly did not notice, and the water never gets warm enough to even notice as well. It's not that hot in northern Spain.
Best bet is to just keep it simple and hydrate.
For simplicity and if nothing else to have a plan agreed in my head, tick it off my "to do/worry" radar and move on to the next thing on my countdown list I have decided to go with 3 x 500ml Nalgene bottles - one in front Deuter pouch for easy access and 2 as backup in backpack side pockets because they fit comfortably and my backpack will look and feel balanced even though I probably won't ! And I will nag myself to clean the bottles too - before a glass of wine - because I probably won't care too much after my essential alcohol intake!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with Doug on this, the OP asked a question and we gave him our opinions based on what worked for us. There is absolutely NO reason to attack someone for their opinion on what suits them and again I would ask people to aquaint themselves with the rules before they post unnecessarily argumentative posts.

First I tried a 3L hydration system (backed up with 500ml store bottle for one long waterless stretch on the Ingles). I actually gave the bottle to someone and ran out as well as him. Having once sucked on my hydration tube to find nothing I prefer to see what I have so after some caminos I moved to a 1 litre held on the front of my pack so I could get it easily as I had problems reaching around to get things out of side pockets. This progressed to having two 500ml bottles in side pockets and taking the pack half off for access, this being now easier as I had got the weight down to 6K and a smaller pack. Now I only have a waist pack with two 500ml bottles in side pockets that I can reach into without breaking stride. If I need to I will carry an extra 500ml bottle. I used to use more water and now find I need less. I don't wait until Santiago to have a beer, enjoying it after a days walking (with an occasional exception). I take a coffee early on and then stick to water until I finish for the day. This is just what I have done, now do, and what works for me. Everyone has to find their own way. I think that the original poster may well have been overwhelmed by the storm of responses. However it has obviously been of use in helping him decide what to try first, which he pretty much had anyway. Buen Camino Jostony.

I also now use a Smartube, this means you don't have to stop to get out your bottles to drink, this caused me to get partially dehydrated a few times in 2012 as I kept putting off stopping to get my bottles out of the side pockets to drink. I came across these in 2013 and it works a treat for me.
Edit: Here is the link I forgot to put in.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/SmarTube-Tri...7783763?pt=Fahrrad_Schuhe&hash=item19c4505e53

...I've not come across the SmarTube before - it's great, I'll find out if they delivery to South Africa... on my Camino last year, I tried the bladder bag system before I left but it took up too much space in my back pack and made refilling a challenge... the side pockets of my Osprey pack couldn't 'hold' larger bottles (without clipping them somehow to the pack); so I used 500ml plastic water bottles on each side and did a DIY drink tube job on the one bottle (suggested to me by one of the helpful Confraternity of SA staff members who had originally made this herself due to budget constraints) - in the screw top lid of one of the bottles (retain an intact screwtop for the 2nd bottle), drill a hole; then insert a length of chemical free aquarium tubing, I then threaded the tube through the back of my back pack strap, then over my shoulder and looped it on the front of the back pack strap and voila, a DIY hands free drinking system, when that bottle is empty, swap bottles bottoms and refill on the way - dirt cheap and effective

the image attached is not of my bottle - it's included as a visual reference only

Attachments

• bottle & tube.jpg
    bottle & tube.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 19

€46,-
Leaving aside the quantity of water needed IMO your decision to balance your pack is the correct one. Having the accessible front bottle sounds good. We balance our packs and drink out of the bottles in turn, or as we are a couple we use one pair, then the other, so keeping the packs balanced. You don't have to fill all the bottles but if you do, on a hot day, and the pack is heavy then drink some to lighten the load. :)
Buen Camino

First I tried a 3L hydration system (backed up with 500ml store bottle for one long waterless stretch on the Ingles). I actually gave the bottle to someone and ran out as well as him. Having once sucked on my hydration tube to find nothing I prefer to see what I have so after some caminos I moved to a 1 litre held on the front of my pack so I could get it easily as I had problems reaching around to get things out of side pockets. This progressed to having two 500ml bottles in side pockets and taking the pack half off for access, this being now easier as I had got the weight down to 6K and a smaller pack. Now I only have a waist pack with two 500ml bottles in side pockets that I can reach into without breaking stride. If I need to I will carry an extra 500ml bottle. I used to use more water and now find I need less. I don't wait until Santiago to have a beer, enjoying it after a days walking (with an occasional exception). I take a coffee early on and then stick to water until I finish for the day. This is just what I have done, now do, and what works for me. Everyone has to find their own way. I think that the original poster may well have been overwhelmed by the storm of responses. However it has obviously been of use in helping him decide what to try first, which he pretty much had anyway. Buen Camino Jostony.
Thanks for your helpful review. The flurry of comments has helped me decide what to take (3 x 500ml Nalgene bottles - one in front Deuter pouch for easy access and 2 as backup in backpack side pockets). So my dithering on this important topic is now, thankfully, over for me and I can focus on the next thing on my list as countdown to D-day continues.

Leaving aside the quantity of water needed IMO your decision to balance your pack is the correct one. Having the accessible front bottle sounds good. We balance our packs and drink out of the bottles in turn, or as we are a couple we use one pair, then the other, so keeping the packs balanced. You don't have to fill all the bottles but if you do, on a hot day, and the pack is heavy then drink some to lighten the load. :)
Buen Camino
Good advice thanks. Walking with brother so if we stop or meet people I can review weight distribution of water until I top up.

€46,-
I have bought these from ebay. Practically only carrying the weight of water (no bottle or pouch). Could also be attached on the front and so easily accessible to take a sip while walking.

$_35.JPG

I took two bottles and never filled them when I walked from Leon to Santiago in June of last year, loads of cafes, supermarkets and fountains. But from Santiago to Finisterre I would recommend a small bottle as their are long distances between possible watering point but.........lots of houses where its possible to get water if desperate.

For simplicity and if nothing else to have a plan agreed in my head, tick it off my "to do/worry" radar and move on to the next thing on my countdown list I have decided to go with 3 x 500ml Nalgene bottles - one in front Deuter pouch for easy access and 2 as backup in backpack side pockets because they fit comfortably and my backpack will look and feel balanced even though I probably won't ! And I will nag myself to clean the bottles too - before a glass of wine - because I probably won't care too much after my essential alcohol intake!
There ya go.....
Sounds like a rocking plan to me. Thumbs up.

Each of us has different water needs.

I wouldn't dream of walking on the Meseta without 2 liters at least in the summer or September; that's what I carried and I drank every drop and wanted more on a couple of stretches.

If in any doubt at all, start out with more rather than less. Too much will tire you out; too little can kill you. Until you are sure you know what you need, carry extra.

I've been using the 1 liter Vapur collapsible bottles and love them. They weigh almost less than nothing and, when not needed, roll up into a very small shape.

Karl

Jostony, a few minutes ago I remembered a specific moment on my 1st Camino. It was CF, so water really wasn't an issue, and yet ...Can't name the location, but other easily will: top of a hill, with a rest area with cement lawnchairs, just before arriving to a country-club-golf developement of chalets that are mostly empty. Between Pamplona and Burgos? Or is it past Burgos?

When I got there, and I was walking my 1st Camino, 3 months after my mother passed away, and she was born in Santander, I knew what I wanted to leave behind in my will: water sources along the Camino... so others could walk it without risk of dehydration, or at least comfort of some sort.

And to make a last point of it, on the CDN last September and October, no matter how much I drank, I never had to use my TP: that's how under-hydrated I was ;0(

All this to say that hydration on the Camino, because the Camino is so important to me, as a symble of my heritage, is now part of my will.

In my will (testament) I ask my executors to find, with the local authorities at the time, areas where a number of water sources (fountains? - what else will technology bring us by then?) can be set up on the Camino (any of them) in memory of my mother.

Water is life after all.

€60,-
No perfect solution. But wet towel sounds doable. I suppose when it rains all the time I can open my mouth instead and problem solved! But then I would feel compelled to complain about the mud.. Sooner I am doing the Camino and getting on with it the less time I will have to over think and try and anticipate and solutionize (if that is even a word) every possible scenario!
New to the Forum -- will do my first Camino starting March 29, 2015 -- instead of a towel you may want to think about using an athletic sock -- soak the sock in water and then slide it over your water bottle -- was a technique we used in the desert -- cold water is great, but the bottom line - water is water -- I plan on using a CamelBak All Clear bottle (with UV Cap -- 750 ml), a CamelBak Filter Bottle (for taste 750 ml) and an REI soft flask bottle (750 ml) -- probably overkill but will allow me to take an occasional break to make some tea -- bringing my trusty Jetboil (my comfort item) -- also will use CamelBak elixir tabs to replace lost electrolytes -- worst case they become donation items (but not the Jetboil : ) ) -- as a side note have used the UV All Clear system throughout travels in Africa -- worked great -- never had any issues -- know that Spain has clean water -- but a 1 minute zap with UV is more than worth the alternative drama -- and that is coming from someone with an iron stomach -- enjoy your Camino!

€46,-
New to the Forum -- will do my first Camino starting March 29, 2015 -- instead of a towel you may want to think about using an athletic sock -- soak the sock in water and then slide it over your water bottle -- was a technique we used in the desert -- cold water is great, but the bottom line - water is water -- I plan on using a CamelBak All Clear bottle (with UV Cap -- 750 ml), a CamelBak Filter Bottle (for taste 750 ml) and an REI soft flask bottle (750 ml) -- probably overkill but will allow me to take an occasional break to make some tea -- bringing my trusty Jetboil (my comfort item) -- also will use CamelBak elixir tabs to replace lost electrolytes -- worst case they become donation items (but not the Jetboil : ) ) -- as a side note have used the UV All Clear system throughout travels in Africa -- worked great -- never had any issues -- know that Spain has clean water -- but a 1 minute zap with UV is more than worth the alternative drama -- and that is coming from someone with an iron stomach -- enjoy your Camino!
Thanks for your helpful comments

Back