• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 3-May 12 on VdlP, route switch from Camino del Norte

Ariel Mallett

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hello everybody!

I have been planning my Camino for a good 6 momths at this point, I'm leaving for Madrid on March 31st and will be spending Holy Week in Seville with a Couchsurfing host, and I decided to switch my route from the Camino del Norte to the Vial de la Plata. I am doing this primarily because I do not want to deal with the rain, mud and cold that I am hearing will be a regular part of the experience on the CdN but also because I will already be in Sevilla and I may as well start where I am already planning on being (the train ticket to Irun is 70 EUR and about a 11 hour travel day). I hear that the wild flowers will be beautiful in April and that it will likely be sunny (though I read something about problems with flooding in the spring???). I have included my packing list below--and any tips are appreciated, though it's mostly the same as my list for CdN with a few minor changes for warmer weather.

Clothes
Green fleece
Rab Shell/Zeta AR rain pant
Green wool t-shirt
Blue tank, black tank
Patagonia sun shirt
Shorts
Wool skirt
Long underwear (do I need these?)
Arcteryx hiking pants
3 Wool socks, 3 undies, 2 sports bra, buff

Gear
Nalgene/Osprey H20 bladder
Summerlight sleeping bag
Talon 33
Lowa Renegades/flip flops

MISC
headlamp/ear plugs/string/multitool/spork/carabiner/clothes line/lighter/ travel pillow
Mini sewing kit (needle/thread in film canister)
Watch/phone and charger
Film camera and case /15 rolls of film and 2 batteries
Journal/pens/moleskin
Map/compas/Spanish pocket dictionary/harmonica/side bag
money belt w/ wallet/passport/credit & debit cards (copies)
dalai lama pic, seeds, prayer beads, Rumi

Toiletries
toothpaste/brush, dr.bronners, face wash, mini lotion
tampons, baby wipes, zip lock baggies
hairties/clips/brush, tweezers, nail clippers, mascara/blush
meds & glasses/cloth
Moleskin/mini first aid
Sunscreen

Are there any veteran walkers on the thread who have done VdlP at this time of year who can attest to what the weather/experience is like?

Some people have questioned my decision to bring a bulky, heavy, outdated film camera but I am doing so because I have many qualms with technology and my addiction to the internet. I thought about taking my iPod which has a camera a wifi connection--but I really want to disconnect from the world and do not want to be posting on Facebook or Instagram at all. I decided that I don't want the option at and so I bought a film camera and taught myself how to use it. I also much prefer the authenticity of film photography because you take a shot and there is no delete button, unlike a digital camera where you can take 25 pictures and select the one that you feel best captures the moment. With film, I can only capture one moment and it'll be the moment as it was--no edits.

I am also a little weary that I will be rather lonely, as I hear that this is a very seldom traveled route. There is a reason that I am not walking the Camnio Frances--it's because of the crowds--but a small group of pilgrims to have cup of coffee with or talk to at night would be nice. So if anybody is starting in April, or will be in Sevilla for Semana Santa--I'd love to hear from you!!

I plan to leave on Good Friday, after the morning service and walk to Guillena for the first night. I hope to make it to Santiago in just under 40 days so that I have time to walk to Fisterra and then bus back to Santiago to catch a flight to Madrid then back to the USA on the 20th, though the last leg of my journey is really up in the air depending on how I feel at the time.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Ariel

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everybody!

I have been planning my Camino for a good 6 momths at this point, I'm leaving for Madrid on March 31st and will be spending Holy Week in Seville with a Couchsurfing host, and I decided to switch my route from the Camino del Norte to the Vial de la Plata. I am doing this primarily because I do not want to deal with the rain, mud and cold that I am hearing will be a regular part of the experience on the CdN but also because I will already be in Sevilla and I may as well start where I am already planning on being (the train ticket to Irun is 70 EUR and about a 11 hour travel day). I hear that the wild flowers will be beautiful in April and that it will likely be sunny (though I read something about problems with flooding in the spring???). I have included my packing list below--and any tips are appreciated, though it's mostly the same as my list for CdN with a few minor changes for warmer weather.

Clothes
Green fleece
Rab Shell/Zeta AR rain pant
Green wool t-shirt
Blue tank, black tank
Patagonia sun shirt
Shorts
Wool skirt
Long underwear (do I need these?)
Arcteryx hiking pants
3 Wool socks, 3 undies, 2 sports bra, buff

Gear
Nalgene/Osprey H20 bladder
Summerlight sleeping bag
Talon 33
Lowa Renegades/flip flops

MISC
headlamp/ear plugs/string/multitool/spork/carabiner/clothes line/lighter/ travel pillow
Mini sewing kit (needle/thread in film canister)
Watch/phone and charger
Film camera and case /15 rolls of film and 2 batteries
Journal/pens/moleskin
Map/compas/Spanish pocket dictionary/harmonica/side bag
money belt w/ wallet/passport/credit & debit cards (copies)
dalai lama pic, seeds, prayer beads, Rumi

Toiletries
toothpaste/brush, dr.bronners, face wash, mini lotion
tampons, baby wipes, zip lock baggies
hairties/clips/brush, tweezers, nail clippers, mascara/blush
meds & glasses/cloth
Moleskin/mini first aid
Sunscreen

Are there any veteran walkers on the thread who have done VdlP at this time of year who can attest to what the weather/experience is like?

Some people have questioned my decision to bring a bulky, heavy, outdated film camera but I am doing so because I have many qualms with technology and my addiction to the internet. I thought about taking my iPod which has a camera a wifi connection--but I really want to disconnect from the world and do not want to be posting on Facebook or Instagram at all. I decided that I don't want the option at and so I bought a film camera and taught myself how to use it. I also much prefer the authenticity of film photography because you take a shot and there is no delete button, unlike a digital camera where you can take 25 pictures and select the one that you feel best captures the moment. With film, I can only capture one moment and it'll be the moment as it was--no edits.

I am also a little weary that I will be rather lonely, as I hear that this is a very seldom traveled route. There is a reason that I am not walking the Camnio Frances--it's because of the crowds--but a small group of pilgrims to have cup of coffee with or talk to at night would be nice. So if anybody is starting in April, or will be in Sevilla for Semana Santa--I'd love to hear from you!!

I plan to leave on Good Friday, after the morning service and walk to Guillena for the first night. I hope to make it to Santiago in just under 40 days so that I have time to walk to Fisterra and then bus back to Santiago to catch a flight to Madrid then back to the USA on the 20th, though the last leg of my journey is really up in the air depending on how I feel at the time.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Ariel

Hi Ariel,

I'm 75% sure I will also be walking VDLP in April. My only concern regarding this route is the lack of pilgrims ; I stated this in a previous post which is very important to me. Based on the feedback I've received it does sound like this time of year is preferable for this route meaning that we will see others walking.
I initially wanted to take on the Camino Norte but prefer to wait when I'm much more physically fit to handle that terrain and when the weather is warmer. On my first Camino, I did leave my phone behind as well as my iPod but I've decided to bring my phone with me this year. I figure music will come in handy when I'm having a difficult time.

Are you bringing sock liners?
On my first camino I would slather Vaseline on my feet and then put on my sock liners and then put on my wool socks.
I never got a blister when I followed this regimen. I highly recommend sock liners.
Also what about a sun hat?

I'll be in touch!
Michelle

Hi Michelle!

I think now that I've decided to walk the VldP I will be investing in a sunhat. I used to work in the outdoor industry and am not much of a believer in sock liners, but I do plan on using the Vasaline trick. When are you beginning your pilgrimage in April--perhaps we will be each others company along the trail!
Ariel

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Michelle!

I think now that I've decided to walk the VldP I will be investing in a sunhat. I used to work in the outdoor industry and am not much of a believer in sock liners, but I do plan on using the Vasaline trick. When are you beginning your pilgrimage in April--perhaps we will be each others company along the trail!
Ariel
Hi you two, I am arriving in Seville on 9 April. I haven't quite decided whether to start from there on 10 April, (in which case I will have missed you) or to catch the train to Zafra and start from there on 11th. If I do that I suspect that you will be just n front of me but we may meet up

Either way, Buen Camino.

Hi you two, I am arriving in Seville on 9 April. I haven't quite decided whether to start from there on 10 April, (in which case I will have missed you) or to catch the train to Zafra and start from there on 11th. If I do that I suspect that you will be just n front of me but we may meet up

Either way, Buen Camino.
We will be starting on the 10th April. Probably see you on the way.
Buen Camino

I arrive Seville April 1, for semana santa, so we'll just about arrive together. I"ve got a hotel booked, not the hostel. Leaving April 6 on the walk. I've got to get a credencial, and that ellusive guidebook. Apparently the Amigos de Sevilla have one, and are open M-Th in the evenings from 7-9pm. We could meet up for cafe con leche! I'm going to be photographing too, but digital. Good on you for thinking through how much you're on line. I'm looking forward to disconnecting a lot, if not completely.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi All, I arrive in Seville on April 7th and will begin on April 10th. Staying at the hotel Simon as the Triana backpackers is booked. Hope to meet you all along the way.
Andy

Hi Ariel
when I walked in October 2010, I had a good look through many of the guest/comments books where I was staying. April seemed to be one of the most popular months, particularly with people from Germany and the Netherlands.
I found the first week tough going - more challenging than the Norte actually!
If you also find it hard, then I suggest you just focus on getting to Merida. From there onwards, it gets easier - more pilgrims will join there and it will likely become more sociable.
Well done for taking a film camera - I often think about it, but always end up with something digital!
cheers, tom

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back