• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

That movie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hahaha, that movie! Makes me laugh even more LOL. I watched 2.34 minutes. Cant watch any more. Afraid i'll fall asleep.

Why does this man keep on talking into a toiletbrush?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The eighties just whatsapped me....they want their microphone back.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, that very nearly happened at the bridge entering Zuberi.....I jumped backwards up on the wall for a sit down....nearly overbalanced...bag still on my back!!......got the fright of my life......
Well......there's been a lot of water under the bridge ;) since you posted this, but it still sends shivers down my spine. Lesson to everyone: If you are wearing a backpack and are anywhere near water, be sure to unsnap all your buckles. That way, if you end up in the water you can easily extricate yourself from your pack. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

Here is my take, copied from a previous post.
But I see the Camino as just the setting (albeit a beautiful one) for the retelling of one of human kind's greatest stories. Loss of something of value, an epic journey with brave companions to find the thing of value, and ultimate redemption and re-awakening. It is a great myth which has been told over and over since before recorded history. The number of modern books and movies with this basic plot are legion.

In a college lit class I learned all works of fiction are based on one of two themes ... Stranger comes into town or Hero goes on an adventure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I meant to mention earlier, but was posting from a pad, that I bought the DVD of the movie. I know you can watch it on Netflix. I wanted to get it for my parents to watch or other friends and family that asked more about it.

So, I watched the DVD with my family and was very pleasantly surprised that there was a director’s cut included with the DVD! A directors cut is where the movie is completely played again, BUT with the actor and directors talking about the movie and specific scenes and some of the crazy stuff that got it to happen, I enjoyed it almost as much as the movie.
My edition of the movie (DVD) also had this "extra" - with Martin Sheen/Emilio Estevez/David Alexanian - where they discuss how the filmed a number of scenes; how they found the other actors and most importantly the family association with NW Spain - Martin Sheen's father was born in Galicia - not far from the border with Portugal. Yes it was a great addition to the movie.
Oh - about that continuity error (day 2) - apparently the director (Emilio) and the film editor only spotted this after they sent it to production. A bit like the Roman legionaire in Gladiator wearing blue jeans - accidents do happen.
So please watch the film - as a film - shot entirely in Spain - even the golf course scenes!!!

I recently finished reading The Bible. What a load of rubbish! I wasted far too much time for nothing.

edited to add: It just occurred to me that some people might be thinking I meant that Bible. No, I meant the one written by my friend's cousin last year as part of a high school project. :rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My edition of the movie (DVD) also had this "extra" - with Martin Sheen/Emilio Estevez/David Alexanian - where they discuss how the filmed a number of scenes; how they found the other actors and most importantly the family association with NW Spain - Martin Sheen's father was born in Galicia - not far from the border with Portugal. Yes it was a great addition to the movie.
Oh - about that continuity error (day 2) - apparently the director (Emilio) and the film editor only spotted this after they sent it to production. A bit like the Roman legionaire in Gladiator wearing blue jeans - accidents do happen.
So please watch the film - as a film - shot entirely in Spain - even the golf course scenes!!!

Yes Martin Sheen's father home village was Salceda de Caselas near O Porriño (C. Portugués).
Martin Sheen is in the top four most famous "half Galegos" in History. The other three are Fidel Castro, Julio Iglesias and Critopher Columbus(?).

Yes Martin Sheen's father home village was Salceda de Caselas near O Porriño (C. Portugués).
Martin Sheen is in the top four most famous "half Galegos" in History. The other three are Fidel Castro, Julio Iglesias and Critopher Columbus(?).
Do you mean Christopher Columbus? I was under the impression he came from Genoa in Italy. Still it would be great to see this quartet up on stage together - wonder what they would sing???:D:):cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Italy, France, Portugal and even Scotland are among those who have claimed Christopher Columbus as their own over the years, citing a range of spurious links.

But American researchers say the mystery over the explorer's true origins has finally been solved after a thorough investigation of his writings.

A study of the language used in the official records and letters of the Great Navigator apparently proves he hailed from the Kingdom of Aragon in northeastern Spain and his mother tongue was Catalan.

Since his death in 1506 debate has raged over the true nationality of the man credited with discovering the Americas.

It was widely believed that he was the son of a weaver born in the Italian port of Genoa, but over the centuries he has been claimed as a native son of Greece, Catalonia, Portugal, Corsica, France and even Poland.

According to one theory, he may have been Jewish and another more recent account traced his origins to Scotland.

But a linguistic professor at Georgetown University in Washington has published new findings following an exhaustive study of documents written in his hand.

Estelle Irizarry studied his language and grammar and concluded that Columbus was a Catalan speaking man from the Kingdom of Aragon, an inland region of north-eastern Spain at the foot of the Pyrenees.

The findings published this month in a new book "The DNA of the writings of Columbus" explain that although he wrote in Castilian it was clearly not his first language and his origins can be pinpointed to the Aragon region because of the grammar and the way he constructed sentences.

"He didn't express him correctly in any written language," said the professor. "His Spanish was notoriously incorrect yet at the same time efficient, poetic and eloquent."

A scientific project launched three years ago to discover his true origins using DNA comparisons between his family and possible descendants has so far failed to provide conclusive results.

A team of scientists took samples from the tomb of Columbus in Seville and from bones belonging to his brother and son and compared them to the genetic make-up of hundreds of people living across Europe with surnames believed to be modern day variants of Columbus.

Swabs were taken from the cheeks of Colom's in Catalonia, Colombo's in Italy and even members of the deposed Portuguese royal family, who argue that Columbus was the product of an extramarital affair involving a Portuguese prince.

Scientists had hoped to establish a common ancestor using standard Y-chromosome tests but they have yet to find a link.

Ha ha.
Dat be like publishing a cookbook about south Louisiana with no meat the recipes......:eek:
Wow, would I love to share a cookbook I inherited from my southern grandmother. It is so racist, it makes Song of South look like it's about a Yankee family. Chitlins is one of my favorite foods, almost as good as the tete de veau I had this week in Paris.

Scott Sweeny - And I apologize for not being online more. There is a self made movie " Camino de Santiago documentary Film called - The Way.

Lord people need to calm down some.

Some people need to be more specific. ;) One "The Way" is a movie that has had a profound impact on the number of people walking The Camino. The other "The Way" is an obscure video selfie that apparently, no one has heard about. :) :)

BTW, I see you are in Fredericksburg, Virginia. The Mid-Atlantic chapter of "American Pilgrims on The Camino" is meeting in Farifax, Virginia on the 28th of February. If your are coming, the first round is on me. If you weren't aware and would like to attend, send me a Private Message on this forum and I'll send you the information. Cheers!!! DP

PS: And thanks for interjecting something to stir up some discussion. We have all enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you mean Christopher Columbus? I was under the impression he came from Genoa in Italy. Still it would be great to see this quartet up on stage together - wonder what they would sing???:D:):cool:

I was joking.
We don't have many famous people:( and I added Cristopher Columbus to the list because I recently read a book that alleged his Galician origin in a Jewish family. Falcon' s post shows the wide controversy about the subject. So, who knows?

I was joking.
We don't have many famous people:( and I added Cristopher Columbus to the list because I recently read a book that alleged his Galician origin in a Jewish family. Falcon' s post shows the wide controversy about the subject. So, who knows?
You mean, not many Spanish people that are famous abroad? Other than a whole bunch in Hollywood :)

Mark, I am embarrassed to say I learned about the Camino from a travel and cooking show called "On the Road Again" with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow in 2010. My daughter told me about the show after we had driven around Spain in the summer of 2010 while I was constantly asking her, "What are all those people doing walking all day long with backpacks?"
My apologies for having contributed heavily to diversion about tourists and jeans (BTW Levis are the only jeans I know.)
Truth be said I loved the movie and watch it from time to time to conger up memories both good and bad. In 2012 I walked with a man and a woman who were from totally opposite poles and mindsets and it was very hard to get away from them, believe me it does happen! You can delay a day, you can take a bus ahead for a day; but like "bad pennies" they keep reappearing like your worst nightmare.
As I returned on the train today to Biarritz all I could think about was the brilliant soundtrack. Tyler Bates and Alanis Morrisette were great choices for the background sound. I've seen Six Ways and while it is a very good documentary, there is some timelessness it is lacking, begging for a redo in ten years time, I don't feel that way about "The Way."
Just watched that episode on YouTube....its in four parts. Can't say I cared much for it. They seem kind of like snobby elitists. Cruising across Spain in their rag-top Mercedes. Ha ha.

Sooo...

I watched "The Way" - a visual diary of a young man from Australia as opposed to that less prominent production from Emilio Estevez. :p (Which, BTW, I also happened to enjoy for the scenery alone in many instances.)

Disclaimer - Most of my taste is in my mouth. I am possessed of less culture than an expired, off-brand yogurt. Lastly, I unabashedly claim to have enjoyed the Aussies, Irish and French with whom I walked more than any other group. They tell you what they think, straight out and raw. (Admittedly, the Irish do it with more charm!)

First, he walked in 2004, so complaints about his gear are largely rubbish. (Look at the time he walked versus when it was published to YouTube. Details, people, details!)

Face it, even if the better gear was available, what was more important for him to do - save up for lighter (more expensive) gear or just go walk? (That was rhetorical question, BTW.)

Next - - it is a diary, folks - - not a documentary. Different rules apply. To be honest, I found myself in more kinship with this fellow than I did with any character in that "other movie" except for "Tom" when he was being a complete jerk.

Finally, there is a lot of acreage between between being critical in a constructive fashion and being utterly dismissive. The former can lead to improvement in craft; the latter just engenders discouragement and/or hard feelings.

Everyone is fighting a hard battle and deserves better than an offhand dismissal.

Of course, I could be wrong about that!:rolleyes:

B

Sooo...

I watched "The Way" - a visual diary of a young man from Australia as opposed to that less prominent production from Emilio Estevez. :p (Which, BTW, I also happened to enjoy for the scenery alone in many instances.)

Disclaimer - Most of my taste is in my mouth. I am possessed of less culture than an expired, off-brand yogurt. Lastly, I unabashedly claim to have enjoyed the Aussies, Irish and French with whom I walked more than any other group. They tell you what they think, straight out and raw. (Admittedly, the Irish do it with more charm!)

First, he walked in 2004, so complaints about his gear are largely rubbish. (Look at the time he walked versus when it was published to YouTube. Details, people, details!)

Face it, even if the better gear was available, what was more important for him to do - save up for lighter (more expensive) gear or just go walk? (That was rhetorical question, BTW.)

Next - - it is a diary, folks - - not a documentary. Different rules apply. To be honest, I found myself in more kinship with this fellow than I did with any character in that "other movie" except for "Tom" when he was being a complete jerk.

Finally, there is a lot of acreage between between being critical in a constructive fashion and being utterly dismissive. The former can lead to improvement in craft; the latter just engenders discouragement and/or hard feelings.

Everyone is fighting a hard battle and deserves better than an offhand dismissal.

Of course, I could be wrong about that!:rolleyes:

B
I had no interest in watching the whole thing, so I didn't. Didn't even notice what kind of clothes he was wearing or what type of equipment he's carrying. You are right. A bit harsh to criticize the guy. At least it's not some made up version of walking the Camino based on a dream or a drug trip, or just made up so one can sell a book or a movie.

I remember a couple about my age (65) proudly declare on the first night's pilgrim meal at Orisson that 3 weeks before they had seen the movie "The Way" and that the inspiration was so overpowering they couldn't wait. With gear, plane tickets and guidebook in hand, they arrived in SJPP with no other preparation.
I last saw them near Zubiri, exhausted and dejected trying to communicate their need for a taxi in a loud and demanding tone to a shop keeper who clearly was not accustomed to being shouted at in English.
I presume they eventually got a ride to Pamplona and then back to California, wondering how Martin Sheen was able to do it.

On the other hand, my husband and I met a man in Sarria, and again in Porto Marin, Larry, whose wife had recently passed away. He was lost, until he saw the movie, and knew he had to go walk the Camino. We went for an evening walk in Porto Marin, and I sensed the Camino was very healing for him. I think of him often and hope he is OK.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have watched The Way 4 times. I appreciate it as a movie, albeit not a great one but at least a decent one. I also appreciate it as my introduction to the camino. I was disappointed after my last viewing because so much of the last 200 km (all we will do next year) was left out. I started to doubt my choice and wondered if i needed a different plan. This forum has restored my faith in that choice however and I am certain I will watch the movie again both before and after.

My comments apply to the Sheen/Estevez film.

I have watched The Way 4 times. I appreciate it as a movie, albeit not a great one but at least a decent one. I also appreciate it as my introduction to the camino. I was disappointed after my last viewing because so much of the last 200 km (all we will do next year) was left out. I started to doubt my choice and wondered if i needed a different plan. This forum has restored my faith in that choice however and I am certain I will watch the movie again both before and after.

My comments apply to the Sheen/Estevez film.
Agree and I love your non de plume.
I'm a long time Gator fan with OSU roots and will be following Urban to see if he can move the Big 10 to upset the dominance of the mighty SEC.

I had to show "The Way" to wife and daughter to convince them that I wasn't walking through Alpine mountains and bandit country.It did the trick and they are both happier about my walking the Camino.
I was inspired in the first instance though by a documentry by Simon Reeve,who if I remember correctly,was a contributor to Lonely Planet.
He covered the Way of St James as part of a series.
Just dont let them see the video I saw recently of wolves on the way down from Cruz de Ferro :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just dont let them see the video I saw recently of wolves on the way down from Cruz de Ferro :)
Iberian wolf. Spain's own sub-species. With the large populations of deer Spain has, I don't think peregrinos have much concern over becoming lunch. ;)
6790011257_49e99142ae_z.jpg

Quite the handsome fellow.

Agree and I love your non de plume.
I'm a long time Gator fan with OSU roots and will be following Urban to see if he can move the Big 10 to upset the dominance of the mighty SEC.

Not to take this too far off topic, but for 7 years I was a Tennessee far exiled to Alabama. Now that I'm in Florida, I suppose I should be GatorVol but old habits die hard and with things in the SEC being what they were for the last 12 years, Tide fans are still more insufferable than the folks from Gainesville. Good luck to Urban. Happy to see him at OSU. Don't miss him in the SEC.

I know that and you know that but try telling it to the loved ones at home :) and dont even mention the story of possible bears.
Wow they sure do. I researched that. they are called Cantabrian brown bears. Very cool. Let's not forget the healthy population of wild boars in Spain, too.
Having grown up roaming the woods and such, I find wildlife fascinating.
710517fd07e3693da1aa30694e134758.jpg angryboars_2609969b.jpg

I saw it after I got home the first time and laughed to see that in the movie there did not seem to be any hills. What one of my Camino family called, because of the inherent pain, "Pilgrim fun!" In spite of that and the obvious lack of perspiration - I liked the movie.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I loved Martin Sheen's movie - but that's because I met him twice while he was making it and fell instantly in love. What charisma! Am I the only person on the forum who met Martin and the crew? I met him first in Torres del Rio and had breakfast with him and then a few days later in Burgos outside the cathedral.

My brush with fame.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I loved Martin Sheen's movie - but that's because I met him twice while he was making it and fell instantly in love. What charisma! Am I the only person on the forum who met Martin and the crew? I met him first in Torres del Rio and had breakfast with him and then a few days later in Burgos outside the cathedral.

My brush with fame.
Breakfast with Martin Sheen? That's pretty darn cool....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Most of us drive on roads with other drivers who are texting while eating breakfast.
Odd that our families would worry about Iberian wolves and bears.
:confused:
I pulled up to a traffic light this morning behind someone eating a breakfast that involved a bowl and a spoon. I'm trying to understand the mindset of someone for whom that appears remotely reasonable.

In this part of the world applying eye make-up or eating and drinking while steering with your knees is very common. I see a man every couple morning reading a news paper....but in Virginia they like their guns so you avoid confrontations with moronic drivers.

I pulled up to a traffic light this morning behind someone eating a breakfast that involved a bowl and a spoon. I'm trying to understand the mindset of someone for whom that appears remotely reasonable.
I thought Americans prided themselves on their ability to multitask. Cigarette in one hand, coffee in another, Egg McMuffin in the lap and a cellphone conversation distracting their self absorbed commute; oh, the luxury of driving an invincible SUV with an automatic transmission.

€60,-
I thought Americans prided themselves on their ability to multitask. Cigarette in one hand, coffee in another, Egg McMuffin in the lap and a cellphone conversation distracting their self absorbed commute; oh, the luxury of driving an invincible SUV with an automatic transmission.

I would argue that it is possible to read the entire newspaper while commuting in stop and go traffic as I did every morning when I had a 55 mile commute to Silicon Valley. I draw the line, however, well before the woman who passed me on I-20 while eating a salad from her lap while talking on the phone and driving over 70 mph. Phone in left hand, fork in right hand, salad between the knees - how was she steering? I used to worry about the drivers more focused on their cell phone conversations than the surrounding traffic. Now, I long for the old pre-texting days.

Either way, it will be nice to worry about wolves for a change. I would say wolves and bears but we have a bear problem here and see signs of them every time we walk in the woods.

For anyone interested, Sheen and Estevez discussed the filming of 'The Way' in 2011 at a Pilgrimage Symposium at Georgetown University, which posted the video on YouTube. After much preliminary introduction the Sheen and Estevez segment begins at about 18 min. The backpack falling off the bridge was suggested by Sheen during the filming. After a stuntman almost drowned during the filming of this scene, Sheen volunteered to try and it is Sheen that you actually see in the movie.

'The Way' was loosely based on Jack Hitt's book "Off the Road" which my first exposure to the CdS. Hitt walked again later with his daughters which he described in a NYT article

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/travel/hiking-through-history-with-your-daughters.html?_r=0

Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez co-wrote their autobiography, "Along The Way," shortly after the success of this film.

Mr. Sheen begins and starts with his youth, growing up, his parents, his Hispanic heritage, etc., going on to his stage and film career.

It continues with their life as a young family, Mr. Estevez's film career, the people they meet along the way, the strange twists and turns their lives take, and continues to the making of the film, The Way.

It was enlivening to hear the each take up a chapter in his own voice, discussing events from his own point of view. The book is very family oriented and rings true.

I read this book after had seen the movie but before I walked the Camino. I enjoyed the book very much. I found it insightful and enjoyed the way the father and son were able to share and shine different lights on the same shared family experiences. I liked the way they alternated chapters, each reflecting on important incidents in their own lives. They sometimes wrote about the same time period but each talking about totally different "important" things going on.

Just like parents and children all over the world and throughout time.

I enjoyed the book as much, if not more than, the movie. And in the video I've quoted in this post, I also sense respect and love for each other. I thought it was refreshing to see such a nice father and son relationship in this video (although this relationship has it's ups and downs, which they are honest in approaching in their book, another reason I liked the book).

Sorry to blather on. Yeah, I'm a fan.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I enjoyed the movie, it was my first realization the Camino existed though it had been on my wifes bucket list from many years ago. That being said I LEARNED about the camino on this site...equipment, clothes, money, food, behavior, what to expect was clearly available here! Thanks, Pete

I knew about Camino before seeing the Way with Martin Sheen and figured I would maybe like do it some day. I found the Movie on sale at Walmart and only bought it because of the Martin Sheen photo on the cover. At the time I had no idea what the movie was about. It struck home and I watched it 4 times , within a week I had bought my backpack and started gathering my equipment. After training during the Fall & Winter 2013/2014 I started my walk on the last week of April reaching Santiago at the end of May 2014. The movie was the push I needed that made me go to Spain without it my Pilgrimage would still be a dream. I wish I could do it again this year, but no way I can take 6 weeks off work again this year. I am toying with the idea of taking a couple of weeks off and doing Sarria to Santiago, jut to get that feeling of freedom back, if only for a short time. I wonder if Martin Sheen ever completed his own Pilgrimage like he hoped to do?

Last edited:
It is good, but it is just that, a documentary. It follows 6 people from different countries on their camino. I liked it, but enjoyed the movie better.

Agreed.

I watched '6 Ways' last night on DVD. Thank you Ivar.

And OK, I have yet to walk the Camino. It was OK, but it was more of a documentary and in that sense was very useful for a soon to be Pilgrim.

As a 'movie' I much preferred The Way. That captured me much more on an emotional level. And Yes, it was 'that' movie that created my 'need' to walk the Camino Frances.

Would '6 Ways' have created that same desire? I'm not sure. I don't think so.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
First, the confusion between the two "The Way" movies is hilarious. But "The Wizard of Oz" angle is amazing and I'm a bit disappointed I didn't notice it. Now I want to watch The Way again. I doubt it will ever replace TWoO on my favorites list though.

It's funny, I never wanted to watch the movie. It seemed a bit like watching "Full Metal Jacket" before going to boot camp. But my wife bought me a copy after I committed to walking the Camino, and we watched it together, along with our daughters. It was fun to watch as a family. Even if the beginning did freak my wife out a little.

I first learned about the Camino almost 10 years ago. While traveling in Spain with my wife and an aunt & uncle I was introduced to the legend of Santiago Matamoros, the seashells, and pilgrimages to CdS. Once I got home I studied the legend further. I've always been a fan of the outdoors and Spain, grew up Catholic, my father's family is from Salamanca, and since my name is James, it seemed like a perfect fit.

Two years ago while we were planing a trip to La Rioja I knew we would see a bit of the Camino. I figured that seeing the distances and terrain would finally get this idea out of my head. Well, the opposite occurred. I became obsessed.

I think part of that obsession came from the funk I was in. I was unhappy at my job, was wasting a lot of time watching TV, and was generally an angry person. Thoughts of Spain, the Camino, planing, hiking the trails here in GA, and things like that kept me going during what was a dark time for me. I managed to schedule the time off from work and was ready to go last fall.

Oddly enough, series of events happened that solidified my commitment. Last summer I applied for a new position at work. I ended up accepting it not long before my planned start date. Unfortunately, taking the job meant giving up my scheduled off days. Then I strained my knee a week before my original start date. My new date gave me plenty of time to heal up, as well as get into better shape.

So now I've gone way off topic. Hope you don't mind me sharing.

As for That Movie, The Way, with Martin Sheen, I enjoyed it immensely. Have watched it three times so far and it is the reason I am walking the CF.

And as for That Movie, 6 ways to Santiago, it was an interesting documentary that didn't have the same emotional connection and appeal for me as That Movie above.

And lastly as for That Movie, The Way, by Mark the Aussie (overlander.tv) I actually enjoyed it a lot. More than 6 ways to be honest. Sure it is really just a video diary, but it just hit the right chord with me. I liked his style.

Oh and let's not forget That Movie, of the couple with the kid. Orange, Green, Mauve. No Indigo was his name. Didn't like it sorry. I suspect it was made just to bring in online advertising revenue, like all their other videos. But maybe that's just the cynic in me ;)

I have shown this movie, documentaries, video blogs and my own photos to my Mother. I have also got her to read "The Field of Stars". I think they have all helped her to have an insight into what I experience, why I feel compelled to repeat walking. I do not wish to express an opinion about factual accuracy in the Film "The Way" or comment on it's artistic merits. I would just like to say it has helped my mother to understand my obsession, and that I realise from many posts that it has inspired many to walk and in doing so find who knows what about themselves. Just as a Korean book has resulted in many South Koreans walking. Anything that inspires/motivates people to engage with the Camino cannot be a bad thing in my eyes.
Field of Stars -- Good book!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found the movie quite entertaining but I cannot say that it made any profound impression on me. What I do find interesting and frequently irritating is the passion and the anger stirred up in so many fans when someone expresses either dislike or no interest in the movie. As if it were in some sense a sacred thing and beyond criticism. That someone is not entitled to a different opinion on what is after all a piece of entertainment. Also true of the Brierley guides where any criticism is often seen as heresy. Sitting outside a bar on the Camino Frances one day a man of roughly my age sat down on the bench next to me. We began to talk - the usual "where are you from?" and "where did you start?" sort of questions. Then he asked me "What did you think of "The Way?" "The movie?" Oddly enough it didn't seem to occur to him that I might not have seen it at all. My admiration was obviously too lukewarm for his liking as he immediately launched into a rant in which he told me that I would never have been there, and neither would the others sitting around, if it were not for the movie. Apparently nobody knew about the Caminos before the movie. I resisted the temptation to point out that the numbers walking the Caminos actually dropped in the year following the release of the movie (a statistical blip more to do with the 2010 Holy Year I think!).

I liked the film. I know that it is a film and therefore I "understand" the gipsy episode in Burgos and the hospitalero in Navarra who wanted to be a bullfighter.
But I think that Galicia is nearly forgotten in the film (only a scene in O Cebreiro and then SdC). So, the big contrast between the Meseta and Galicia (that is an impotant issue in the Camino Francés) is not reflected in the film and would require another episode in Samos or in Melide eating pulpo.

When you consider that Martin's father was actually born in Galicia - something like 80 km SW of O'Cebreiro then maybe a bit more of their home land should have been included. But the problem was that they were filming in Oct to early Nov (I think the date on Martin's Compostela is 9 Nov 2009 or 2010). When they filmed the scene at the Cruz de Ferro the wind was so cold that they had waited up near the little chapel until the Cross was clear to film. They really needed the extra clothes they were wearing. So maybe they had pushed their luck with the weather and decided against any additional filming. Also I think Joost had about 3 days from filming that scene with the little church and he rings the bell before he had to be on the set for filming the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.(This scene at the church, was actually the final scene filmed even though it takes place some 50 km east of Santiago and is about the only scene that was deliberately shot out of sequence and was then edited into its correct sequence). Cheers

When you consider that Martin's father was actually born in Galicia - something like 80 km SW of O'Cebreiro then maybe a bit more of their home land should have been included. But the problem was that they were filming in Oct to early Nov (I think the date on Martin's Compostela is 9 Nov 2009 or 2010). When they filmed the scene at the Cruz de Ferro the wind was so cold that they had waited up near the little chapel until the Cross was clear to film. They really needed the extra clothes they were wearing. So maybe they had pushed their luck with the weather and decided against any additional filming. Also I think Joost had about 3 days from filming that scene with the little church and he rings the bell before he had to be on the set for filming the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.(This scene at the church, was actually the final scene filmed even though it takes place some 50 km east of Santiago and is about the only scene that was deliberately shot out of sequence and was then edited into its correct sequence). Cheers
Thank you for the explanation, but appart from family reasons the Xunta put money on the movie, so I expected more Galicia.
Martin's father was born in Parderrubias that is 11 kms from O Porriño (CP) (229 kms from O Cebreiro ).
I wonder if the Xunta should mark an alternative route on C. Portugues between Tui and O Porriño visiting Parderrubias for "The Way " lovers.:p

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Snark all you want. It was a beautiful little film - scenery, soundtrack , ensemble cast. Loved it. And so what if it has inspired thousands to walk the Camino? Everybody deserves to go on pilgrimage at least once in their life and maybe this film was the spark.

So many films to comment on :)

I enjoyed the movie The Way. It's impressionistic but I like the spirit of the film and how their friendship develops. I also wore jeans on one of caminos it's really no big deal unless it's wet.

Six Ways to Santiago was ok. I was most impressed by the French lady who was walking the camino in white linen/cotton trousers, with a small child in tow and managed to keep them looking clean throughout!

Not so keen on the self made move The Way. I was expecting something a bit more visually exciting from someone lugging 10kg of gear.

Not seen these posted on the forum but I also like the daily video diaries made by Angela Morelli Carpenter:

These videos definitely wont be to everyone's tastes but I thought they were wonderfully honest (and positive) about the change in the Camino from Sarria, the internal struggles about getting bags transported, being fed up with one change of clothes, dealing with pain, there's a section about anti-American sentiment in one of the videos which if you live in Europe you probably wont even notice but which I can imagine would be very wearing if you're on the other end of it. If you want to know what the camino is like and how a camino family can work then I would watch this one.

It's worth iterating (I'm sure it's been said before) that "The Way" is not primarily a vehicle about the camino or a film intended to promote it. It's a film about human relationships and the different ways in which people pursue their own search for meaning in life and how they interact with others in the process.

The Camino provides the fabric of an iconic pilgrimage on which the story is built. It's a modern version of "The Wizard of Oz", and I seem to recall that this comes out in some of the background information on the film.

I can't think of a better actual journey to underpin a plot like this. Much more in fitting with real people than the yellow brick road fantasy. That it's taken a few liberties with locations on the route doesn't matter at all. But that it's encouraged others to undertake the pilgrimage for themselves is inspiring.

De Colores

Bogong

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back