• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feminine Hygiene on the Camino

Ariel Mallett

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hello all,

I am in the midst of creating my final packing list (I'm leaving on March 19th for my Camino along the northern route!) and I am wondering what women have done in the past when they are on their period on the Camino. I am torn between using OB tampons, without the applicators because they will be smaller and lighter and easier to carry, and getting a Diva Cup. My problem with the Diva Cup is that you have to rinse it every time it fills--and that seems impractical while walking long distances between towns. Does anybody have any suggestions for what worked for them?

Thank you ladies!
Ariel

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Ariel, if you bring the Diva cup, you will be rinsing it in public bathrooms and for my part, I would not be comfortable doing that. Tampons and panty liners would be sufficient on the Camino. You might not have access to a bathroom for hours on some parts of the Camino, so you might bring some babywipes in case you have to change tampons while walking.
Buen Camino to you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Ariel, if you bring the Diva cup, you will be rinsing it in public bathrooms and for my part, I would not be comfortable doing that. Tampons and panty liners would be sufficient on the Camino. You might not have access to a bathroom for hours on some parts of the Camino, so you might bring some babywipes in case you have to change tampons while walking.
Buen Camino to you.
Like Annie I am out of the category but tampons and wipes sound best. Just remember some plastic bags to carry any 'disposables' to the next available facility.

hope you don,t mind me intruding girls,and i don,t intend this post to be flippant ,but I always carry panty liners-great for putting in walking shoes/boots as padding and blister care, also tampons to place under shoulder straps
Hi @sagalouts, long time no see.

I was wondering how long it would be before a man weighed in on this thread. .......................... Now I see that I was right on the money when I dubbed you 'scalawag.' :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you everybody! It has been my experience traveling outside of the USA, though I haven't spent much time in Europe, that tampons are not readily available overseas. I have also changed my route from the Camino del Norte to the Via de la Plata route out of Seville. Anybody have any idea what availability might be like along that route?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
hope you don,t mind me intruding girls,and i don,t intend this post to be flippant ,but I always carry panty liners-great for putting in walking shoes/boots as padding and blister care, also tampons to place under shoulder straps

Not flippant at all, but you're definitely inspiring with your creativity :)

Thank you everybody! It has been my experience traveling outside of the USA, though I haven't spent much time in Europe, that tampons are not readily available overseas. I have also changed my route from the Camino del Norte to the Via de la Plata route out of Seville. Anybody have any idea what availability might be like along that route?

From my experience, regular tampons (I'm not so sure about applicator-free tampons) are available everywhere in Spain, even in the smaller grocery stores. You should be fine, even if you only want to pack enough stuff for the first two or three days of your period. Spain has a booming feminine-hygiene-product trade :). However, if you'd like to only use applicator-free tampons, then you'll probably want to bring enough with you for your whole period.

Yes, I agree finding applicator free ones can be a real hassle outside the bigger towns! SY

I'm looking into suppression - a hormonal injection (Depo Provera) that stops the cycle for up to 3 months. I just don't want to deal with a period on the walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm looking into suppression - a hormonal injection (Depo Provera) that stops the cycle for up to 3 months. I just don't want to deal with a period on the walk.
I had it once and never again. Better to put up with the inconvenience than the side effects IMO.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think tampons make more sense (even though I'm no longer on that team).
Cleaning a diva cup could be problematic.
Not always is there privacy, and using the common sink to wash out blood might cause issues.

Everyone has their own choices, as I prefer using menstrual cup as it is the best feminine protection that maintains your personal hygiene also helps in sustaining the environment compared to tampons. Though you have to rinse it, but it can last for decades, you may save much more compared to tampons.

Everyone has their own choices, as I prefer using menstrual cup as it is the best feminine protection that maintains your personal hygiene also helps in sustaining the environment compared to tampons. Though you have to rinse it, but it can last for decades, you may save much more compared to tampons.

That's fine except due to bloodborn diseases, I'd be concerned about (and actually would not want to brush my teeth in) a sink where someone rinsed their menstrual cup. Seems like on a 6 week walk where you are sharing facilities, tampons might be a more pilgrim-friendly choice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dina, I have to agree with Annie. If in the long run and in daily life these cups make sense regarding environmental issues, I have to wonder about them when it comes to shared facilities, especially in little bars, cafes and albergues. I wouldn't pee in a sink, so why would I rinse my cup in it?

Depo provera makes me bleed. It's okay for the first few weeks then the endometrial lining starts to breakdown and you get endless spotting until the damn thing wears off. Which is a minimum of 3 months. In some other people it is 12 months. I had to go back on the OCP to get some oestrogen back in the system. I've always said that the pregnancy prevention success rate is so good because nobody wants to do anything because they are bleeding all the time!
I'm in that perimenopausal phase where my cycle is alternating between very little in the way of a period and absolute flooding. I'm hoping that I err towards the longer duration between periods and hopefully light-normal ones.

What I do need to check on is what are the usual facilities for disposal in Spain? I know in Venezuela that the loo paper is put in a bucket beside the toilet rather than flushed. Is it the same situation in Spain?

Yup. Wrap it up and put it in the trash, NOT the toilet.
And please never dispose of tampons or napkins on the trail.
I KNOW you'd never do that, but I have (unfortunately) seen them.
Piggy women...!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What? ... In Spain, we're supposed to put loo paper in a bucket beside the toilet? I don't think I ever saw a sign to that effect anywhere when I was in Spain. I fully understand that tampons and napkins should be treated so (I'm past that stage, thank goodness) but toilet paper too? I need someone to please put me right here.

What? ... In Spain, we're supposed to put loo paper in a bucket beside the toilet?
Oh yes, as it is is most of the world. Which is why the bin is there, often with quite obvious singnage.

What? ... In Spain, we're supposed to put loo paper in a bucket beside the toilet?

Oh yes, as it is is most of the world. Which is why the bin is there, often with quite obvious singnage.

I remember a few decades ago on package holidays in Greece having to do this but not in recent years... certainly I've never seen this in France or Spain in recent times. Loo paper in the toilet and other products (like female hygene or nappies) in the bin.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The other question I have is what kind of loo can I expect? The Dutch type one with the shelf at the back so you can examine whatever you produce? The US type one where the water goes right up to the top and always has me wondering if it is blocked? A Downunder type one where the water level is near the bottom? Or a bidet arrangement like you find in Indonesia? Or will I face the pleasures of a squat loo?

The other question I have is what kind of loo can I expect? The Dutch type one with the shelf at the back so you can examine whatever you produce? The US type one where the water goes right up to the top and always has me wondering if it is blocked? A Downunder type one where the water level is near the bottom? Or a bidet arrangement like you find in Indonesia? Or will I face the pleasures of a squat loo?
Be prepared for anything! But usually what you would regard as "normal".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What? ... In Spain, we're supposed to put loo paper in a bucket beside the toilet? I don't think I ever saw a sign to that effect anywhere when I was in Spain. I fully understand that tampons and napkins should be treated so (I'm past that stage, thank goodness) but toilet paper too? I need someone to please put me right here.

No, loo paper in the loo! Unless it says otherwise of course, but I have only seen it in remote places in Andalucia (if they rely on water from the 'pozo' rather than the mains).

Last edited:

Jesus y Marie in Pamplona has the loo-paper-in-the-bucket sign

There is a squat loo at Alto de Polo.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ooooh. I was just going to edit to ask 'has anyone else had a different experience?'
Thanks Whariwharangi

There is a squat loo at Alto de Polo.

Which of the two places are you referring to? The one on the right hand side (direction Santiago) had sit-downs that were sparkling clean. Didn't visit the other one ... SY

Yes :)
I spent one Camino taking photos of all the different types... it's sorta fun
"What's behind Door #32?!"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know this hasn't been active in a few months, but I am a regular menstrual cup user and depending on personal preferences and bodily needs, I think a cup could work really well on the Camino.
All of the menstrual cup websites and forums I have been on recommend a water bottle method for public restrooms; fill a water bottle (or hospital peri-bottle) at the sink and take it in the stall with you to rinse your cup and fingers into the toilet. I know it isn't the same for every woman, but with my flow I am usually able to go 4 to 10 hours before needing to "deal" with my cup, so waiting until I have access to a proper bathroom is no problem, whereas using disposable tampons I would need to manage some changes on the go.

Take a supply of your favourite tampons. All you will find in small town shops are applicator tampons and the quality was a bit sad. Couldn't find normal non-applicator tampons at all.

Hello all,

I am in the midst of creating my final packing list (I'm leaving on March 19th for my Camino along the northern route!) and I am wondering what women have done in the past when they are on their period on the Camino. I am torn between using OB tampons, without the applicators because they will be smaller and lighter and easier to carry, and getting a Diva Cup. My problem with the Diva Cup is that you have to rinse it every time it fills--and that seems impractical while walking long distances between towns. Does anybody have any suggestions for what worked for them?

Thank you ladies!
Ariel

I carried two tampons in my pack for when I started so it would carry me through until a store. Honestly I ended up not being able to get to a store, but the hostel we were at (like many others), had tampons/pads left behind by other pilgrims. Since I was desperate I stocked up, bought some later and left some at another hostel for a future pilgrim in need. Regardless, every grocery store we went in had them, I don't think you need to stock up for the whole trip, a few would do fine until you can get to a store. And as others have said, a diva cup might be inconvenient as restrooms are public and privacy is rare.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carried two tampons in my pack for when I started so it would carry me through until a store. Honestly I ended up not being able to get to a store, but the hostel we were at (like many others), had tampons/pads left behind by other pilgrims. Since I was desperate I stocked up, bought some later and left some at another hostel for a future pilgrim in need. Regardless, every grocery store we went in had them, I don't think you need to stock up for the whole trip, a few would do fine until you can get to a store. And as others have said, a diva cup might be inconvenient as restrooms are public and privacy is rare.
Applicator tampons are not the norm in Australia and there is the issue of disposing of the applicator tube which is plastic in the brand I found. Not exactly something I can just dig into the dirt to decompose in the middle of nowhere. And later after the Camino it was rather off putting to see the number of applicator tubes washing up onto the beach in Barcelona.
I missed a good quality Super tampon because the one brand available wasn't very good quality but there was no choice in that town.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back