• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in March

einoras

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2010)
Via de la Plata (March 2015)
Hi everyone.
Things so happened that I'm almost sure I'll start this route. I've done Camino Frances 5 years ago, which is still greatest event of my life. Now what I'm concerned about is - is there enough albergues open at this time? Any other major problems I should expect? Last time I planned my trip more precisely, now I've got little bit messed up with my life, so decided just to go in the next few days, so time is insanely limited and any help is highly appreciated :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In 2012 I walked the Via de la Plata starting from Sevilla in late February. I had no problems finding albergues that were opened. I think I stayed in a pension in one or two towns but apart from that the albergues were opened. (Again, this was in 2012 so I'm not sure if that would still be the case). As you probalby know, towns on this route are much more spread out so you do not have as much flexibility in choosing where to stay/how far to walk each day. There are not villages every few miles as there are on the Frances. Have fun.

Oh, thanks. I don't mind at all sleeping occasionally in the fields, the way I did in Camino Frances. Actually, in the way - is it worth carrying a tent, is it even legal, allowed in those regions, have you got an idea? I kind of like that way, being little bit more with myself

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You should have no problems. Just pay attention to a couple of very long stretches after 3 days: You may want to skip them if 38-40 kms is to much for you.

And pay attention to weather: Although you are walking through Southern Spain, it may be cold. In May 2012, out of 23 days from Salamanca to SdC, I had 20 days of rain and wind, 2 days of snow (!) on 2 mountain passes, and 1 (!) day of sun...

Forget the tent, for several reasons (weight, not allowed, etc.). Stay in albergues.

But the route is great (but long), so:

Buen Camino!

Yeah I was living in Andaluzia back in 2010 which was one of the coldest winters in decades, so got to be ready. Good tip about the tent, big thanks. Starting 17th of March. Good times ahead, again.

Gracias!

I think a tent would be perfect for this route since there are such long distances between villages. I've searched the internet about wild camping in Spain and it appears to be tolerated by the authorities, and if you are discreet and leave your campsite the way you found it, I don't think anyone would even know that you were there. A lightweight tent or tarp might only weight a few hundred grams to 1 kg so it's not that much weight to carry. When I do the VDLP I will bring a tent with me. There's nothing like sleeping out and looking up at the stars.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @einoras
Weather is actually fairly good at the moment along the Plata from what I hear without the flooding problems which I faced last February. A few alberges were not yet open but we alway found aaccommodation. March should not be a problem.
The Plata is great. I have done it twice and would not hesitate to do it again.

Buen Camino!

Thanks a lot guys!
That both helped me and confused at the same time ((:) In Camino Frances I was carrying a tent without even knowing local laws and never had a problem and these quite nights were some of the best experiences to remember. Now it's really up to me to decide whether it's worth carrying some additional weight, having in mind night are not very warm yet. I think I will decide day or two before walking as will spend few days in Barcelona before camino. What a strange feeling to come back to the road after five years! Done many one day 20-40km trips here and there after the 2010, but once you fit your life into the backpack and start walking, it's whole different story!

Hi Einoras,

I too will be walking the VDLP route a few weeks after you. If possible, please keep us posted on any tips, weather challenges or any other information you think may be helpful.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
Will do my best updating, depending on internet availability of course ;) Yesterday started doubting if my choice of VDLP is the right one, today blood starts boiling - can't wait for it to start!

I always doubt everything haha. But all is good now, full of excitement . Oh, THAT feeling before Camino... Yay!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have covered this route three times all in February and March. No problem with accommodation. One year it was sunshine all the way another it rained quite a lot. It is a lovely route. If there is a lot of rain you may have to cross or avoid streams that are flooded, common sense is the answer there. Enjoy.
Dermot

Hola - I've walked this route in winter, spring and summer. You will love it. There is a very good list of accommodation available throughout the route in the Resources Section of the forum. If you can tolerate the weight there are many opportunities for wild camping. Personally I found the albergues to be excellent and the accommodation well placed so the tent may not be necessary.

Buen camino

John

A few years ago I spent 7 months wild camping around Spain and Portugal (with my dog too). Never had a problem. Camped at dusk, got up and gone by dawn. I heard that beaches in tourist places are off limit, and camping a few Km from an official campground. Like the UK, wild camping is not officially legal, but tolerated as long as you are moving on and leave no mess. Once got caught by Gardia Civil in Basque country, but they were checking we were not terrorists! They didn't even mention the fact I was camping. I dont think a Pilgrim would have a problem wild camping at all.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back